The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

View Poll Results: Does your 32xx movement seem to be 100% ok?
Yes, no issues 903 72.24%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) but timekeeping is still fine 51 4.08%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) and timekeeping is off (>5 s/d) 296 23.68%
Voters: 1250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 March 2023, 10:16 PM   #3751
Michael N Q8
"TRF" Member
 
Michael N Q8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Michael
Location: Kuwait
Watch: Daytona SS White
Posts: 492
Quote:
Thanks, the text marked in green I understand
Oh, is my explanation confusing? I will try to post some tables.
__________________
116520 Daytona white, 116500 Daytona black, 126600 SD, Speedmaster Pro, 116710BLNR GMT II, Speedmaster trilogy 57, Breitling Navitimer A23322, Seiko SKX007J, Seiko Mini turtle PADI, Seiko 5 Sport Diver.
Michael N Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:21 PM   #3752
Michael N Q8
"TRF" Member
 
Michael N Q8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Michael
Location: Kuwait
Watch: Daytona SS White
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael N Q8 View Post
Oh, is my explanation confusing? I will try to post some tables.

1 and 2.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
116520 Daytona white, 116500 Daytona black, 126600 SD, Speedmaster Pro, 116710BLNR GMT II, Speedmaster trilogy 57, Breitling Navitimer A23322, Seiko SKX007J, Seiko Mini turtle PADI, Seiko 5 Sport Diver.
Michael N Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:21 PM   #3753
Michael N Q8
"TRF" Member
 
Michael N Q8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Michael
Location: Kuwait
Watch: Daytona SS White
Posts: 492



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
116520 Daytona white, 116500 Daytona black, 126600 SD, Speedmaster Pro, 116710BLNR GMT II, Speedmaster trilogy 57, Breitling Navitimer A23322, Seiko SKX007J, Seiko Mini turtle PADI, Seiko 5 Sport Diver.
Michael N Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:10 PM   #3754
atxwatch
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 108
Well...I was on the list for a Daytona and Skydweller this year...I am not buying those new versions with the Chronergy escapements. That much is certain.
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:20 PM   #3755
Easy E
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: GA
Posts: 2,967
We are going to have some new friends in this thread shortly. Everyone be nice.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:44 PM   #3756
Vince_76
2023 Pledge Member
 
Vince_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
Well...I was on the list for a Daytona and Skydweller this year...I am not buying those new versions with the Chronergy escapements. That much is certain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
We are going to have some new friends in this thread shortly. Everyone be nice.
Sorry can you guys clarify? Do the new calibers have similar issues to the 32xx? If so how do we know?
Vince_76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:53 PM   #3757
SearChart
TechXpert
 
SearChart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Sorry can you guys clarify? Do the new calibers have similar issues to the 32xx? If so how do we know?
Time will tell.
I certainly hope they will not develop similar issues.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Rolex uses rare elves to polish the platinum. They have a union deal and make like $90 per hour and get time and half on weekends.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 12:01 AM   #3758
saxo3
"TRF" Member
 
saxo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: .
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
Well...I was on the list for a Daytona and Skydweller this year...I am not buying those new versions with the Chronergy escapements. That much is certain.
Why? I heard that Rolex HQ will sell these new watches plus a W. timegrapher (for free).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
We are going to have some new friends in this thread shortly. Everyone be nice.
We rarely play games here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Sorry can you guys clarify? Do the new calibers have similar issues to the 32xx? If so how do we know?
Nobody can know what these new calibers (4131, 7140, 9002) will deliver.
We have to wait .... but don't forget the 32xx all have the Chronergy escapement since 2015
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 01:32 AM   #3759
atxwatch
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Why? I heard that Rolex HQ will sell these new watches plus a W. timegrapher (for free).

We rarely play games here.

Nobody can know what these new calibers (4131, 7140, 9002) will deliver.
We have to wait .... but don't forget the 32xx all have the Chronergy escapement since 2015
The introduction of the Chronergy escapement is increasingly the most likely culprit in all of these 32xx issues, based on my reading of this thread and other threads around the intewebs. I won't touch any movement that doesn't use swiss-lever or co-ax escapements. That includes the new GS high-beat movements.
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:20 AM   #3760
Bulldozer
"TRF" Member
 
Bulldozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 55.8554 N
Posts: 248
Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Calibre 9002
The new-generation Sky-Dweller is equipped with calibre 9002. A derivation of calibre 9001, which has driven the model since its launch in 2012, it is among the most complex movements designed by Rolex engineers.
Enabling the display of the hours, minutes, seconds, the date and the month, as well as an additional time zone in 24-hour format, calibre 9002 includes the latest technical innovations that Rolex has brought to its movements Chronergy escapement, Paraflex shock absorbers and a new oscillating weight with an optimized ball bearing.
I was initially thinking this was probably not the best thread for my question, but after seeing this, maybe it is! Didn't the 9001 already have Paraflex shock absorbers and ball-bearing rotors? They are listed here: https://www.watch-wiki.net/doku.php?id=rolex_9001

Also, does anyone know if Rolex for sure did not upgrade the 9001 with the Chronergy escapement after 2015? I assume they did not, since otherwise they would've made a big deal about it, although they did upgrade the frail tension spring for the hour wheel assembly on the 3187 with a beefier one in the later years of its production quite silently.
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:54 AM   #3761
Seo
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Jeju
Posts: 89
If the new escapement is more efficient etc shouldn’t the pr be improved in the updated movements? I’m a bit confused the specs are the same.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:07 AM   #3762
saxo3
"TRF" Member
 
saxo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: .
Posts: 2,277
32xx movement problem poll and data thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael N Q8 View Post
Oh, is my explanation confusing? I will try to post some tables.
How did you measure, still using the TG app?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:07 AM   #3763
Kentucky Gentleman
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Kentucky USA
Posts: 2
My sense from reading much of this thread is that most of these issues do not involve the 3230. Am I understanding correctly that this movement is showing fewer problems? (And yes, I have an Explorer 12470; after 14 months near-daily wear it is fine...so far...)
Kentucky Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:31 AM   #3764
douglasf13
"TRF" Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Gentleman View Post
My sense from reading much of this thread is that most of these issues do not involve the 3230. Am I understanding correctly that this movement is showing fewer problems? (And yes, I have an Explorer 12470; after 14 months near-daily wear it is fine...so far...)
There are a few failures of the 3230 in this thread alone over the past few months. I'd imagine there are fewer 3230 failures, because it's not been on the market as long, but I don't believe there's been good evidence to suggest that the 3230 is inherently less prone to failure than the 3235. Maybe someone can correct me on that??
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:46 AM   #3765
Dirt
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane
Watch: DSSD
Posts: 7,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
I was initially thinking this was probably not the best thread for my question, but after seeing this, maybe it is! Didn't the 9001 already have Paraflex shock absorbers and ball-bearing rotors? They are listed here: https://www.watch-wiki.net/doku.php?id=rolex_9001

Also, does anyone know if Rolex for sure did not upgrade the 9001 with the Chronergy escapement after 2015? I assume they did not, since otherwise they would've made a big deal about it, although they did upgrade the frail tension spring for the hour wheel assembly on the 3187 with a beefier one in the later years of its production quite silently.
Rolex have to pad out the marketing blurb as much as they can.
After all, they can't boast about having hour a minute hands on their watches, not to mention novels on the dial for a bit of light reading.
Says my good self taping this out whilst wearing a DSSD
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:48 AM   #3766
Dirt
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane
Watch: DSSD
Posts: 7,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
We are going to have some new friends in this thread shortly. Everyone be nice.
True
But then again, maybe not if they're finally on top of it
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 09:34 AM   #3767
EEpro
2023 Rolex DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
EEpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Real Name: B R A D
Location: USA
Posts: 7,713
Guys... They are defying excellence.

That's all we need to know. #endthread

__________________
Ω
EEpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:21 PM   #3768
Michael N Q8
"TRF" Member
 
Michael N Q8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Michael
Location: Kuwait
Watch: Daytona SS White
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
How did you measure, still using the TG app?
Yes, I still use the Timegrapher app. One observation is that it gets increasingly difficult to get readings as the reserve goes past 50 hours.

I wonder if the watch passes 2 years without catching this virus, it means its cured? Hope so.

Seeing the new releases, I am also hesitant to buy one with this new tech on board, not that I would have an opportunity to though.
__________________
116520 Daytona white, 116500 Daytona black, 126600 SD, Speedmaster Pro, 116710BLNR GMT II, Speedmaster trilogy 57, Breitling Navitimer A23322, Seiko SKX007J, Seiko Mini turtle PADI, Seiko 5 Sport Diver.
Michael N Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:33 PM   #3769
CharlesN
"TRF" Member
 
CharlesN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The UK
Watch: I love them all.
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael N Q8 View Post
I wonder if the watch passes 2 years without catching this virus, it means its cured? Hope so.
I do NOT think any Rolex watch (Or any other brand) have a system that at 2 years the watch goes into "Fault" mode.

I doubt the problem has been fixed yet as no watches seem to have been consistantly tested and shown to be in a better state then others.

The only things that seem to have a built in self destruct feature are household items such as washing machines.
__________________
Regards,
CharlesN
Member of the IWJG.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 06:56 PM   #3770
saxo3
"TRF" Member
 
saxo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: .
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael N Q8 View Post
Yes, I still use the Timegrapher app. One observation is that it gets increasingly difficult to get readings as the reserve goes past 50 hours.

I wonder if the watch passes 2 years without catching this virus, it means its cured? Hope so.

Seeing the new releases, I am also hesitant to buy one with this new tech on board, not that I would have an opportunity to though.
Hello Michael, here is a comparison between your (serviced) watch and the one from EasyE.




Your 126710BLRO (3285 caliber) is within the known Rolex acceptance criteria:

- All amplitudes are above 200 degrees (24 hours after full winding).

- The average rate X = 1.4 s/d (after full winding) is well inside COSC (blue marked area) and also inside owner's expectation (-2,+2).

- Note, that I have not taken your 12U data into account.

Remark: I would not trust the measured data near 72 hours. As discussed in the past, you know the difficulties of the timegrapher app. A $200 cheap instrument will give you more reliable results.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:59 PM   #3771
Easy E
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: GA
Posts: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
True
But then again, maybe not if they're finally on top of it
Maybe so. That would be ideal.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:23 PM   #3772
Michael N Q8
"TRF" Member
 
Michael N Q8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Michael
Location: Kuwait
Watch: Daytona SS White
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Hello Michael, here is a comparison between your (serviced) watch and the one from EasyE.




Your 126710BLRO (3285 caliber) is within the known Rolex acceptance criteria:

- All amplitudes are above 200 degrees (24 hours after full winding).

- The average rate X = 1.4 s/d (after full winding) is well inside COSC (blue marked area) and also inside owner's expectation (-2,+2).

- Note, that I have not taken your 12U data into account.

Remark: I would not trust the measured data near 72 hours. As discussed in the past, you know the difficulties of the timegrapher app. A $200 cheap instrument will give you more reliable results.
Thanks for the comparison, I agree with you, the readings are not easy to get around the 70 hour point, and therefore not reliable.

I am still wearing the BLRO and its performing within expectations. I guess I can report again in a year, when its outside its warranty!
__________________
116520 Daytona white, 116500 Daytona black, 126600 SD, Speedmaster Pro, 116710BLNR GMT II, Speedmaster trilogy 57, Breitling Navitimer A23322, Seiko SKX007J, Seiko Mini turtle PADI, Seiko 5 Sport Diver.
Michael N Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 07:03 PM   #3773
saxo3
"TRF" Member
 
saxo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: .
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael N Q8 View Post
Thanks for the comparison, I agree with you, the readings are not easy to get around the 70 hour point, and therefore not reliable.
Towards the end of the power reserve no meaningful timegrapher readings are possible.

Amplitudes and rates start oscillating (already close to 66 hours) and their sigma values (error bars) strongly increase much before 72 hours, i.e., Weishi timegrapher and smartphone app readings become completely erratic and totally useless.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 01:43 AM   #3774
HiBoost
"TRF" Member
 
HiBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
Let's hope you are right. My wife's 10 month old OP with 22xx just came back from Rolex factory service after 2+ months. It had super low amplitude and was running very erratically. Let's hope it is fixed for good.
I never suspected the 22xx watches might have this issue so I honestly never looked at my wife's DJ31 (caliber 2236, lift angle 52) from mid 2021 until a few days ago.

+0

DU 250-255 deg, +1 to +3 s/d
CD 225-230 deg, -1 to +1 s/d

+24

DU 220-235 deg, +4 to +6 s/d
CD 193-204 deg, -1 to +1 s/d

I'll check again in 6 months to see if it has changed. The timekeeping is reasonable for my purposes but the amplitude certainly doesn't look particularly strong (notably lower than her never-serviced 2006 Explorer 36, for example).

Of note to me, even after resting the full 24 hours in the dial up position on the timegrapher, the amplitude readings were jumping around quite a bit (in a 15 degree range which is more than I typically see in one position at one time).

If these calibers have the same "shouldn't drop below 200 degrees in any position in the first 24 hours" benchmark that the 32xx has, then this one failed that.

Hopefully it's ok, I really don't want to have to ask the mods to change the thread title to "x2xx movement problem"
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 02:18 AM   #3775
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: United Kingdom
Watch: Rollie
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I never suspected the 22xx watches might have this issue so I honestly never looked at my wife's DJ31 (caliber 2236, lift angle 52) from mid 2021 until a few days ago.

+0

DU 250-255 deg, +1 to +3 s/d
CD 225-230 deg, -1 to +1 s/d

+24

DU 220-235 deg, +4 to +6 s/d
CD 193-204 deg, -1 to +1 s/d

I'll check again in 6 months to see if it has changed. The timekeeping is reasonable for my purposes but the amplitude certainly doesn't look particularly strong (notably lower than her never-serviced 2006 Explorer 36, for example).

Of note to me, even after resting the full 24 hours in the dial up position on the timegrapher, the amplitude readings were jumping around quite a bit (in a 15 degree range which is more than I typically see in one position at one time).

If these calibers have the same "shouldn't drop below 200 degrees in any position in the first 24 hours" benchmark that the 32xx has, then this one failed that.

Hopefully it's ok, I really don't want to have to ask the mods to change the thread title to "x2xx movement problem"
That's interesting as that particular movement doesn't have a chronergy escapement.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 02:41 AM   #3776
saxo3
"TRF" Member
 
saxo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: .
Posts: 2,277
32xx movement problem poll and data thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
If these calibers have the same "shouldn't drop below 200 degrees in any position in the first 24 hours" benchmark that the 32xx has, then this one failed that.
Yes, the 2236 also have the minimum amplitude criteria of 200 degrees at 24 hours.



Source: SearChart (TRF 28.02.2019)
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 08:05 AM   #3777
HiBoost
"TRF" Member
 
HiBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Explorer View Post
That's interesting as that particular movement doesn't have a chronergy escapement.
My thoughts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Yes, the 2236 also have the minimum amplitude criteria of 200 degrees at 24 hours.
That's a helpful summary, I missed his post the first time around.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:03 PM   #3778
Seo
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Jeju
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Yes, the 2236 also have the minimum amplitude criteria of 200 degrees at 24 hours.



Source: SearChart (TRF 28.02.2019)
Oh the skydweller is a 51 lift angle. Interesting.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 06:23 AM   #3779
atxwatch
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I never suspected the 22xx watches might have this issue so I honestly never looked at my wife's DJ31 (caliber 2236, lift angle 52) from mid 2021 until a few days ago.

+0

DU 250-255 deg, +1 to +3 s/d
CD 225-230 deg, -1 to +1 s/d

+24

DU 220-235 deg, +4 to +6 s/d
CD 193-204 deg, -1 to +1 s/d

I'll check again in 6 months to see if it has changed. The timekeeping is reasonable for my purposes but the amplitude certainly doesn't look particularly strong (notably lower than her never-serviced 2006 Explorer 36, for example).

Of note to me, even after resting the full 24 hours in the dial up position on the timegrapher, the amplitude readings were jumping around quite a bit (in a 15 degree range which is more than I typically see in one position at one time).

If these calibers have the same "shouldn't drop below 200 degrees in any position in the first 24 hours" benchmark that the 32xx has, then this one failed that.

Hopefully it's ok, I really don't want to have to ask the mods to change the thread title to "x2xx movement problem"
Thanks for sharing. My wife's amplitude numbers were around 100-ish fully wound. I don't have a timegrapher yet, but my wife's OP and my BLRO will all get measured soon enough...
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 06:24 AM   #3780
Bulldozer
"TRF" Member
 
Bulldozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 55.8554 N
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
Thanks for sharing. My wife's amplitude numbers were around 100-ish fully wound.
Do you mean your wife's watch?
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
padi56
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2023, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.