The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2023, 05:20 PM   #1
StairLight530!!
Banned

GMT vs Sub 41 - wearability

Hello,

How does the BLNR/BLRO on oyster wear in comparison to the Sub 41.

I have heard mixed reviews. I have read online that the GMT is much thinner and the tapered bracelet/smaller clasp makes the watch feel noticeably thinner on the wrist.

I have also heard from a few friends who own both say that they wear identical if the GMT is on oyster.

Anybody here lucky enough to own both have any insight? Do they wear similar or completely different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StairLight530!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:42 PM   #2
Banks
"TRF" Member

The GMT definitely wears smaller, even on the oyster.

It sits flatter and the bracelet on the GMT is noticeably slimmer, particularly because of the even larger glidelock clasp on the Sub 41.

I own both and personally prefer the overall wearability of the GMT for my own wrist but it is hard to beat the glidelock clasp for functionality and something which I would use frequently during the summer months.
Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:52 PM   #3
Osmin
"TRF" Member

For me complete opposite. The 41 Sub wears great on my wrist. Can’t say the same for the GMT
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:56 PM   #4
Meg007
"TRF" Member

I have both. Sub a tad bigger on my fat wrist…. Love them both
Meg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:33 PM   #5
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmin View Post
For me complete opposite. The 41 Sub wears great on my wrist. Can’t say the same for the GMT
This is also my opinion, and I own both. The 41 seems to lie flatter, more comfortable. IMHO, the GMT sits up too high, almost a boxy type feel.

Hey, whichever you choose wear it in good health!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:42 PM   #6
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
The GMT case proportions are perfect, but nothing beats glidelock. Pick your poison.
Old 31 March 2023, 06:49 PM   #7
Greenwood_
"TRF" Member

GMT is thinner, lighter, visually smaller (especially in regard to the bracelet). For me, the sub feels marginally better on the wrist.

Both wear better than any other watch I’ve owned - you’d be unlucky to find a comfort issue with either.
Ω Speedy Pro Moon Phase 3575.20
Greenwood_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 07:24 PM   #8
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
They wear pretty close for me. I find Subs, GMT’s and Daytona’s all to be super comfortable and easy to wear watches.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 07:37 PM   #9
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
TRF in a nutshell.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 07:55 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
The GMT definitely wears smaller, even on the oyster.

It sits flatter and the bracelet on the GMT is noticeably slimmer, particularly because of the even larger glidelock clasp on the Sub 41.

I own both and personally prefer the overall wearability of the GMT for my own wrist but it is hard to beat the glidelock clasp for functionality and something which I would use frequently during the summer months.
Well said, I’m in this camp.

Both wear similar but if comfort is your main goal, the GMT on a jubilee is more comfortable than a Submariner on oyster, YMMV
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 09:30 PM   #11
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Have had multiple versions of both. The truth is it depends on your wrist. For me the Sub41 with the wider bracket sits flatter and better. It is more balanced. Regardless the sub41 lugs are perfection. After getting it, I couldn’t do the GMTs, all I saw was lugs. GMTs need a case update.
Old 31 March 2023, 09:35 PM   #12
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

So close it won’t be an issue providing you size them correctly. The glidelock makes sizing or fine tuning your size significantly easier. Owning them all feel the Sub is a better watch to travel with for the glidelock versatility alone. That said the SS Daytona is significantly more comfortable than either GMT or Sub if comfort is a high priority for you.
Old 31 March 2023, 09:38 PM   #13
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
For me, the Sub sticks better on the hand, but the GMT is more convenient in terms of use, because it does not tire the wrist so much.
Old 31 March 2023, 10:24 PM   #14
Osmin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmin View Post
To add on this: I never liked wearing the Sub 114060 and sold it therefore. Went then to the 14060M for years but now to the 124060
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 10:42 PM   #15
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Back to the "VS" threads I see.
Old 1 April 2023, 12:28 AM   #16
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
The GMT case proportions are perfect, but nothing beats glidelock. Pick your poison.
Is glidelock that decisive of a bracelet feature?
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 12:30 AM   #17
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
I own both and the Sub definitely wears bigger. I wear my BLRO on both bracelets and no matter which one it wears smaller than both my 40 and 41 Sub
Old 1 April 2023, 12:30 AM   #18
ScrantonStrangler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
Not to me…for my day to day use the easy-link is fine without making the clasp huge to accommodate the glidelock. YMMV if you wear a wetsuit to work every day.
ScrantonStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 12:42 AM   #19
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonStrangler View Post
Not to me…for my day to day use the easy-link is fine without making the clasp huge to accommodate the glidelock. YMMV if you wear a wetsuit to work every day.

I agree. Glidelock is great feature but the easy-link is just as good for me. I have watches with both. Reality is that I only used them on the first day I got my watches. Once I adjusted the watches to the point I liked them, I’ve never messed around with either since then.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 12:47 AM   #20
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
Not for me. Not in day to day use. I'm a set it and forget it, guy. I adjust my bracelet with links and never touch it again. Only use the glidelock when going over a wetsuit.

Some owners like to adjust their bracelet 10x a day.
Old 1 April 2023, 12:51 AM   #21
IsItFridayYet
"TRF" Member

Don’t own either, but when i did try them both on at the AD i do remember the over all size of the GMT sat on my wrist better. If I had to choose one, it would have been the GMT. I do have smaller wrists though so that plays a part
IsItFridayYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 01:36 AM   #22
nr1416
"TRF" Member

I rotate bewtween the 2 a lot and the GMT wears smaller. The biggest reason is the size of the bracelet and clasp on the Sub is larger.
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 01:57 AM   #23
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Wrists are different. Some wide and square looking, some round and meaty looking. some bigger, some smaller. The feel of any watch on two different wrists will be different.

You need to try them on your hand and not just a quick second, have it on for a few minutes, and see how they feel to you.

My BLNR 116710 wears a LOT nicer/better/more comfortable/more every day than my 116610LV, and even more comfortable than 126610LN (on my wrist.) My 16613LB wears best amongst them all , but that could be the result of my wrist having that on for 9+ years as one and only watch. When you try the two side by side, your experience might be different.

So it is not surprising to see various people here give differing opinions on the wear of these watches. For me, GMT always wears easier than the equivalent sub.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 02:31 AM   #24
WYVRN
"TRF" Member

i absolutely love the sub 41mm (medium sized guy here 182 cm height ), it fits me like a glove and it makes all my other watches seem oddly proportioned - I have not tried the gmt yet but i am very very very much looking to buy one at a good price
WYVRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 02:59 AM   #25
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Owned both still have a 124060. Difference in comfort is negligible if properly sized between these two.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 03:17 AM   #26
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I had a 41mm sub and I'm here to tell you it wears larger than the dimensions would suggest. On my 6.5" / 16.5cm wrist it just didn't look that good. Not so much because of the width but because of the end links. On paper the lug to lug measurement on the 41mm subs sounds pretty reasonable. But add in the extra length from the flared male end links and it certainly exceeded my wrist width. This is actually why I prefer non solid end links that allow the bracelet to pivot straight down for a more contouring fit ala the current Planet Oceans or Seamaster 300 Heritage or G.O. SeaQ. Hell, even the current Aquaracers. Not to mention the clasp on the 41mm sub is reeeeally long. Between the case, end links, and long-as-hell clasp I only had a couple of actual bracelet links on my wrist. This rendered moot the comfortability of the vaunted Oyster bracelet and for me at least it was maybe the most uncomfortable watch I've ever owned, and yes I know I'll be the extreme minority here regarding that, just one man's opinion. In any case I ended up selling it and getting something else. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Cwillis0001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 03:38 AM   #27
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

Have both, wear both. They feel slightly different as others have said, but both are great.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 03:45 AM   #28
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Sadly I have fallen out of both the GMT and Sub after trying so many times.

They just wear a bit chunky for my small wrist, it does not look out of place, but the lack of curves in the case just do not suit me at all.

Besides the Daytona (which I am an obvious fanboy of) the YM and some of the models from the classic line interest me the most.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 04:17 AM   #29
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by StairLight530!! View Post
Hello,

How does the BLNR/BLRO on oyster wear in comparison to the Sub 41.

I have heard mixed reviews. I have read online that the GMT is much thinner and the tapered bracelet/smaller clasp makes the watch feel noticeably thinner on the wrist.

I have also heard from a few friends who own both say that they wear identical if the GMT is on oyster.

Anybody here lucky enough to own both have any insight? Do they wear similar or completely different

Its a very personal thing as everone's wrists and wearing preferences differ. What works for me may not work for you.

My SD43 was super comfortable. My GMT on Oyster is super comfortable. My 16600 is super comfortable. My 116509 is heavier but super comfortable.

I really couldn't rank them. They are all worn on the snug side.

My BB58 probably just wins in the comfort stakes as it just disappears on the wrist.

But they are all (and have been) daily wearers with zero issues

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 04:32 AM   #30
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

My GMTs on jubilee are amazingly comfortable. I often wear them for 5 straight days on airline trips--never taking the watch off. My SD43 is also extremely comfortable--some have complained about fit on that great watch. I don't have issues with eiher. My 40mm Sub on Oyster though--not as comfortable.
B2 Stealth is online now   Reply With Quote