The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 March 2023, 12:29 PM   #31
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Sell the Rolexes and get the best Rolex imho - see below.

This is coming from someone that has many APs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 12:38 PM   #32
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Rolex is good but AP is great! I know exactly what you mean. :-)
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 01:19 PM   #33
messikens
"TRF" Member

There’s a 4x price differential... If you didn't like them better it would really be money badly spent...

Congrats on a really nice collection overall!
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 02:08 PM   #34
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
For watches in my watch box that have not been worn for 2 years and I don't ever see myself wearing them again, I will sell them. I have sold all my Rolex that I have bought along the journey and I have not missed any of them. I still look out for Rolex releases at Baselworld / Watches & Wonder and will add if an interesting one sings to me.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 02:30 PM   #35
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
Sell the Rolexes and get the best Rolex imho - see below.

That was the motive for me buying a Platona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 03:42 PM   #36
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
I think I felt that way at first, over 10 years ago... I then amassed 10 plus ap,s in the collection and got bored, even with Patek perpetual in my collection, ap,s etc Rolex still remains my favorite for whatever reason!!!! At some point you’ll get bored and go back if you let them go I’m sure
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 04:00 PM   #37
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Ugh, I wish. I tried to daily an Offshore. Didn't work out. Went back to Rolex.
How come?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 09:10 PM   #38
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex stainless, like your Sub and GMT, can be worn for hard work or hard play although almost no one does it, anymore, because the prices are so high and, God forbid, you should get a scratch on it. I've worn an Aquanaut and a Nautilus hiking in the mountains but I wouldn't do it without a sleeve covering.
When you need to wear a watch and it needs to work I don't think there's a better watch than a Sub or GMT. When you want to wear a watch and it needs to have cachet, AP is great.
Rolex and AP have different niches.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 10:24 PM   #39
Coffes4closers
"TRF" Member

I find there’s room in a rotation for at least the two companies. I find major enjoyment in rotating brands. I tend to go through rolex/AP/VC/panerai/Tudor on the rotation and depending on daily tasks, meetings, etc., switch it up and enjoy them all equally for different reasons. Also makes the higher end pieces like the AP/VC and PM Rolex’s seem more special.
Coffes4closers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 12:02 AM   #40
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Been there done that (along with other high end brands). Enjoyed the ride but always came back to Rolex.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 01:58 AM   #41
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Thanks everyone for the great input. A lot of food for thought.
I won't be rushing it and will take my time to make.

I picked up the latest AP less than 2 month ago so I could be still in a honeymoon phase, thought I have been wearing the other pieces before that.
I don't mind do daily an AP. I have good awareness and my watches usually don't have dings, or scratches. I think the romance with AP also comes from the fact that it's still independent and owned by the founding family. I am strongly drawn towards independent brands.
If I decide to part with Rolex, I will make sure at least one between the GMT and Sub stays. Probably the Sub as I picked it up just 10 days before it got discontinued.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 02:18 AM   #42
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Both can exist in a collection. I do agree that AP is much better finished than any Rolex, but Rolex is certainly more durable and less of a headache when it comes to maintenance (more service centres, lower maintenance cost etc). People give Rolex a lot of sh*t because yes it’s more mass produced, and the service provided by ADs these days are less than stellar, particularly if you are new to them, but ultimately there’s only one brand that wears the crown…. And that’s the brand that drives the industry as a whole, not the other way round.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 02:28 AM   #43
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Novice collectors generally tend to love Rolex.

Intermediate collectors tend to appreciate Holy Trinity & independents more and look down on Rolex.

Expert collectors tend to appreciate both high end haute horological pieces along with Rolex since Rolex does offer reliability and robustness (and history) that some higher end brands cannot match.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 03:37 AM   #44
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post

Intermediate collectors tend to appreciate Holy Trinity & independents more and look down on Rolex.

Expert collectors tend to appreciate both high end haute horological pieces along with Rolex since Rolex does offer reliability and robustness (and history) that some higher end brands cannot match.
Exactly.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 07:56 AM   #45
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon6

As a good friend of mine on this forum says to me often, “less is more”, which is why I’m curtailing my Rolex purchases in preference to widening my AP collection with the help of the great team at AP House London.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 08:50 AM   #46
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:

Spot on…
Underestimating what Rolex brings to the table is a bad idea.
Old 19 March 2023, 09:37 AM   #47
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Even with my ROs, I’d still be able to find occasions to wear my steel Daytona. The timepiece that really killed my steel Daytona turned out to be my taupe offshore. With the ROO, there really wasn’t a time where I missed my Daytona. No right or wrong, the heart wants what the hearts wants. Pretty sure I’m the minority on this.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 10:47 AM   #48
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have tried to like the AP range but it does nothing for me.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 06:36 PM   #49
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
I started with Omega, then Rolex and now AP. My first AP was a 43mm ROO and while it was amazing it didn’t sing to me as much as my DSSD no matter how much I tried to make it.
I then bought a ROC and a RO and now those two get all my wrist time; I sold my Yachtmaster and ROO but could not part with my DSSD - it’s still truly the watch I want when I go to the beach or do anything where I know my wrist could get banged around.
How did that go the sale of your ROO? Where did you sell it and if I may ask if you got a good price for it? Also, did you communicate it with your SA? I was following your saga but got lost somewhere along the way
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 09:23 PM   #50
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWorldTour View Post
How did that go the sale of your ROO? Where did you sell it and if I may ask if you got a good price for it? Also, did you communicate it with your SA? I was following your saga but got lost somewhere along the way
It went well. I took the east route and silent with a trusted seller here.
I did not end up telling my SA, but eventually it would come to light if I were to ask for another allocation. Luckily - I guess - she says she probably won’t work there too much longer and I am moving back to the States and need to buy a house, so lots of reasons why a new watch will not be the priority for a while - especially considering at this point… what’s next? A RG RO? $$$
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 09:38 PM   #51
LUDA
"TRF" Member

There's time for everything, and yes, AP feels way more special than Rolex, but Rolex is great for everyday, when you don't want to care (too much) if it gets banged around and scratched a bit. Rolex makes good luxury and very reliable watches that are cheaper and easier to maintain if you compare with AP, that's the key for me.
LUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 11:09 PM   #52
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I will never buy another Rolex. I guess I'll never become an expert collector then
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 11:51 PM   #53
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I think there’s definitely a place for 1 Rolex in a collection dominated by AP. In reality though I can’t be bothered with the a**hole pompous attitude of the staff in Rolex stores. The idea of having to buy 1 sh*t watch for every professional model is just ridiculous.

lol AP's staff isn't any better
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 01:08 AM   #54
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackingtime View Post

Ya no kidding!

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 01:09 AM   #55
APhound
"TRF" Member

What Ap ruined for me was thinking $50k was stupid for a watch

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 03:14 AM   #56
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
What Ap ruined for me was thinking $50k was stupid for a watch

Ditto that. I remember back in the day thinking a Daytona was stupid money for a watch. So yeah thanks a lot for ruining that AP! :-))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 03:51 AM   #57
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
I spent the past year exploring AP - RO, ROO chrono, Code Chrono and Code QP. I've gone back to Rolex and kept the RO, sold the rest. The finishing and visual presence of AP is a leap forward, but ultimately didn't like always thinking about what I had on my wrist, worrying about knocking it around and how it might mess up the beautiful finishing with my lifestyle. It just wasn't the experience I ultimately wanted. Lovely pieces though.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:37 AM   #58
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Been exactly where you are right now, and though I still love and own many AP watches, I am back in love with Rolex.
Whether you are honeymooning or not, you will always come back to loving rolex. :D
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:42 AM   #59
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackingtime View Post

It all comes down to individual relationships. The AD that I bought Rolex from lost the dealership and starting again with the new dealership has been impossible due to their attitude. I’ve bought AP for over 15 years so they treat me extremely well and therefore that is the brand that I feel closest to and my first place to look when I can afford a new watch.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 06:52 AM   #60
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
It all comes down to individual relationships. The AD that I bought Rolex from lost the dealership and starting again with the new dealership has been impossible due to their attitude. I’ve bought AP for over 15 years so they treat me extremely well and therefore that is the brand that I feel closest to and my first place to look when I can afford a new watch.
Ash, did you work with the same SA over the course of those 15 years, or not necessarily? At the very least I’m guessing the relationship has been with the same boutique, correct?
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote