The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2023, 09:32 PM   #121
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I have a feeling this will be quickly discontinued and become the next big thing.

Just can't see it selling well for the price.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 10:01 PM   #122
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch and technical achievement for Rolex.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 11:52 PM   #123
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
I’ve fallen in love with this thing.

After I obtain the truck I’ve been eyeing. This is next.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 12:02 AM   #124
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Ok. I had to know so I got the scale out

YM42 is considerably lighter than the Omega Seamaster on strap with deployant clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 12:13 AM   #125
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
No, no, no, it can't be. I'm starting to like this thing, Why?

I'm a YM fan, love the the traditionally classy and luxurious YM. I like badass divers too. This animal is some kind of crossbreed between the two, a hybrid.
This is not my idea of the YM. What's going on?

Does not compute.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 12:14 AM   #126
harvey
"TRF" Member

I think this is one of those references you really need to try on before ordering…
Old 31 March 2023, 12:17 AM   #127
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
How can any of you be in love with it? All we have are web pics and a spec sheet. Wait till you've been to an AD and thrown it on your wrist.

I can see it now:
- "This sure is light, I prefer the heft of my WG Sub"
- "Not as shiny as the Rolex video showed..."
- "I'm trying to like the bezel, can't see the numbers IRL"
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 12:43 AM   #128
dhknola
"TRF" Member

This is the first modern Rolex I actually want...my 16610 will be a goner once I can get one of these.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:15 AM   #129
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
How can any of you be in love with it? All we have are web pics and a spec sheet. Wait till you've been to an AD and thrown it on your wrist.

I can see it now:
I like it because I had a Ti Seamaster for years. It was light and hugged the wrist like my wife’s YM does. For sports activities like running, swimming, xc skiing the lighter weight is very noticeable. Add the beautiful chamfered lugs…. Winner.

I am assuming now that the larger size will work as the 41 Sub was not noticeably different than my 116610 and the YM case sits so much flatter on the wrist.

It seems that a large percentage of people here that like this have already owned a ti watch and know what a joy they can be to wear.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:24 AM   #130
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I heard from my AD and I'm supposed to get a call when one comes in.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:34 AM   #131
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I can see it now:

How is that any different than any other watch that people gush over on here?
I think a lot of folks are basing their thoughts at least in part on the hands on videos that are circulating. Adrian Barker’s was a good example.
I think many (most) here have tried on titanium watches. They are aware of the heft issue.

I for one have registered my interest with my AD. I will absolutely purchase this watch if made available.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:38 AM   #132
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

I wonder if it’s AR coated.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:50 AM   #133
Beto737
"TRF" Member

This in my opinion, is the only Rolex piece that could truly go under the radar. It could make for an awesome travel watch..
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:58 AM   #134
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto737 View Post
This in my opinion, is the only Rolex piece that could truly go under the radar. It could make for an awesome travel watch..

If only they had left the date/cyclops off.
Old 31 March 2023, 02:10 AM   #135
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
How is that any different than any other watch that people gush over on here?
I think a lot of folks are basing their thoughts at least in part on the hands on videos that are circulating. Adrian Barker’s was a good example.
I think many (most) here have tried on titanium watches. They are aware of the heft issue.

I for one have registered my interest with my AD. I will absolutely purchase this watch if made available.
You're correct, it's no different. All these watches appeal to us for various reasons, and not everyone likes each of them.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around _this_ YM4 in Ti. Let's assume that Titanium was going to be used no matter what and Rolex wanted to create a light sports watch.
- Why not the SD43, Sub or Exp2 instead?
- The YM was supposed to be the "nice Sub"... why add a "Beater" to that line?
- And if it's an 'active' watch, why price it higher than everything else? (Don't tell me it's the metal... other brands don't do this with Ti)
- Why the date?
- The raised letters on the bezel?

So some will buy it just because it's different. Fine. Seems like Exp2 would have been a more natural slot for the Ti offering.
Old 31 March 2023, 02:13 AM   #136
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
If only they had left the date/cyclops off.
Hmmm..you’re on to something there. That would make the watch unrecognizable to the average Joe for sure..
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:17 AM   #137
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Doubt it, you wouldn't last 5 min in Barcelona with this. Cyclops is a dead giveaway. Then there's the very recognisable maxidial (even larger here) and the oyster bracelet. You'll be a sitting duck.
Old 31 March 2023, 02:20 AM   #138
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
To 99.99% of the population it's the same as a Submariner...which is one of the most recognisable watches in the world.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:23 AM   #139
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're correct, it's no different. All these watches appeal to us for various reasons, and not everyone likes each of them.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around _this_ YM4 in Ti. Let's assume that Titanium was going to be used no matter what and Rolex wanted to create a light sports watch.

- And if it's an 'active' watch, why price it higher than everything else? (Don't tell me it's the metal... other brands don't do this with Ti)

- Why the date?

So some will buy it just because it's different. Fine. Seems like Exp2 would have been a more natural slot for the Ti offering.
I also think the SD43 would have been the ideal candidate for Ti, being a badass gritty looking diver. To me Ti doesn't suit the YM personality. However, I'm slowly getting my head around it and starting to see this as an interesting piece nonetheless. Might not be for me but remains kind of cool.
Old 31 March 2023, 04:31 AM   #140
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

- Why the date?

-I imagine the YM is the model that sell the least of the watches you mentioned. Why mess with one of their core models? Surely this is Rolex trying to breathe some life into the YM?
- just because it’s not shiny doesn’t mean it’s a “beater.” This is a $14,000 watch. Nobody is working on their car with this. I know I won’t.
-Because they think people will pay for it. I think they are correct. But only time will tell.
-I don’t agree with the Date either, but for better or worse, Rolex sees the cyclops as a core characteristic of the brand. Almost like Omega and the HEV.
-Isn’t this bezel the same as that on current Yachtmaster? I like the look. But it’s not new.

-I like the EXP2 as is. So do a lot of folks. Why revamp a popular watch, when you can do it to an unpopular one?

Like I said in a previous post. Most people aren’t doing a point by point value analysis. They want this watch because they think it looks cool. It’s all about the dopamine hit.
Old 31 March 2023, 04:56 AM   #141
rcwatchcollector
Banned

I want this so bad
rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:07 AM   #142
Kevzep
"TRF" Member

This YM42 is my fav in the new lineup.
Perfect size for me, shame about no glidelock, but the watch will be light so I'd be able to wear it loser than my Deep Sea.
I wear me TAG looser than my Deep Sea because its lighter and no glide lock.
Would want to see on my wrist first before committing.
Kevzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:52 AM   #143
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I can see it now:
I honestly don't get your negativity. I mean I understand you don't like it and that's perfectly fine. But why is it so hard to understand that some people could really really like this?
cari66ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:55 AM   #144
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cari66ean View Post
I honestly don't get your negativity. I mean I understand you don't like it and that's perfectly fine. But why is it so hard to understand that some people could really really like this?
I'll try
Old 31 March 2023, 07:32 AM   #145
gte217e
"TRF" Member

Being Grade 5 Titanium you can anodize the watch any color you want; even black (not PVD or DLC, though it will look similar). I'm not sure which color would match the dial and bezel the best though.
You can customize the hell out of a titanium watch which can be easily restored by any skilled metal worker. Much easier than stainless steel.
Being from the knife industry where almost every folder is made out of titanium, there is no shortage of possibilities.
And I'm sure any modification won't affect the value of the watch which likely won't ever trade above retail anyways.

I'm half kidding; I wouldn't modify the watch... i think it looks great as is. I've always liked the Yachtmaster but not enough to actually buy one.
gte217e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:55 AM   #146
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I love titanium on my bike and watch!!!

I like the Pelagos but it’s height makes it uncomfortable on my 6.75 wrist.
I've got a titanium bike & a titanium hip Now just need a titanium watch
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 10:27 PM   #147
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
IMO, the new Yacht-Master 42 is the most aesthetically pleasing watch of all the sports lineup, but have NO desire for a lightweight watch, and it still says “Yacht-Master” on the dial ! I could live with the Ti aspect, but not the pretentious and arrogant sounding name on the dial. After several years, I still have no clue what a “Yacht-Master” is !

Old 31 March 2023, 10:40 PM   #148
designerlars
"TRF" Member

Watch: Golden Snowflake
I’ve been looking at getting a sub for my next watch, but then my wife saw me looking at the release article for this one and immediately said, “that watch is so you.” That sold me on it. I’ve wanted a sub for its history and iconic shape. The TI YM is similar but more eccentric and less flashy.
designerlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:48 PM   #149
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
IMO, the new Yacht-Master 42 is the most aesthetically pleasing watch of all the sports lineup, but have NO desire for a lightweight watch, and it still says “Yacht-Master” on the dial ! I could live with the Ti aspect, but not the pretentious and arrogant sounding name on the dial. After several years, I still have no clue what a “Yacht-Master” is !

The name doesn't bug me at all. Can't even read it without taking a macro photograph anyway. (But perhaps you were joking? )

Will be great to see some actual photos with different lighting and also comparisons with existing SS models.
Old 31 March 2023, 11:49 PM   #150
ranger22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post

I totally agree! I love this YM, but it’s already so hard being a submariner and a GMT Master, I just don’t think I have enough time to be a yachtmaster too!
ranger22 is offline   Reply With Quote