The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2019, 04:21 PM   #1
ganagati
"TRF" Member

How Rare Is The SD4K?

Can you guys help me understand how rare the SD4K is? I understand that the run was short - only a couple years. That is what I see written time and time again. Is that truly all that uncommon for Rolex, though?

The BLNR with an oyster bracelet had a similarly short run as well - would that mean it's destined to be every bit as collectible as the SD4K is speculated to become? Or the first of the new ceramic BLROs - the pink and purple version?

In my limited scope of rolex history, it seems that the SD4K's short run is not all that unique. Am I missing something?
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 04:23 PM   #2
The1019
Banned

Not very many many thousands were made don’t make up hype
The1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 04:40 PM   #3
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
The SD4K is interesting beast and a niche watch. Rolex did the proportions of the watch right. It slimmer lugs compared to SubC, it has no cyclops, it has fully graduated (just like the old Milsubs) ceramic besel, it has the modern bracelet. Overall it is fantastic piece. I don't know how many were produced but the number is definitely lower than the Subs made in that period.
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 04:48 PM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
In the end the 40mm SD (old and new) has not been terribly popular. Even with its short run, and in the current SS frenzy, it has not kept pace with the top performers.
Old 26 October 2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The word ‘rare’ will always get this forum a little hot under the colour, no modern Rolex is truly rare.

But, in the context of modern Rolex steel sports watches, it is pretty scarce. I see lots of Rolex watches through my work, and see at least a couple of Submariners every day, and yet I have never seen another 116600 in the wild in the five years I’ve had mine.

It was frowned upon because everyone thought it should have been bigger, and then they made a bigger one, and that hasn’t been very popular either! The fact is that unless you are a true watch enthusiast, you won’t pay the extra cash for a Sea Dweller when to the untrained eye, it looks the same as a Submariner.

It will be a long-term got in my view. But that said, mine gets more and more battered every week, so mine will not be a long term hit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
It’s rare to those who want one. Much like the YM. Meaning, not popular.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 05:17 PM   #7
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimoozaabi View Post
The SD4K is interesting beast and a niche watch. Rolex did the proportions of the watch right. It slimmer lugs compared to SubC, it has no cyclops, it has fully graduated (just like the old Milsubs) ceramic besel, it has the modern bracelet. Overall it is fantastic piece. I don't know how many were produced but the number is definitely lower than the Subs made in that period.
I get that it's numbers were lower than subs, but I would think all SD were produced in smaller quantities than the more popular Sub.

I guess my question was more about the perceived rarity of the watch, and Rolex's philosophy as a whole. Given the consistant, minor tweaks released by Rolex, is the SD4K as much of a one-off as is reported?

As for the watch itself, yeah....I agree with everything you said. I love mine.
Old 26 October 2019, 05:20 PM   #8
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
It's rare, Only made for 2.5years. A 40mm watch with 15.5 mm thickness made it less popular, but dive watch watch enthusiast won't be deterred by that thickness.
Old 26 October 2019, 05:22 PM   #9
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
The word ‘rare’ will always get this forum a little hot under the colour, no modern Rolex is truly rare.

But, in the context of modern Rolex steel sports watches, it is pretty scarce. I see lots of Rolex watches through my work, and see at least a couple of Submariners every day, and yet I have never seen another 116600 in the wild in the five years I’ve had mine.

It was frowned upon because everyone thought it should have been bigger, and then they made a bigger one, and that hasn’t been very popular either! The fact is that unless you are a true watch enthusiast, you won’t pay the extra cash for a Sea Dweller when to the untrained eye, it looks the same as a Submariner.

It will be a long-term got in my view. But that said, mine gets more and more battered every week, so mine will not be a long term hit!!!

Interesting input - thanks.

And mine is in much the same boat as yours....absolutely love it.
Old 26 October 2019, 05:25 PM   #10
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
It's rare, Only made for 2.5years. A 40mm watch with 15.5 mm thickness made it less popular, but dive watch watch enthusiast won't be deterred by that thickness.
What about others like the BLNR with oyster fall into the same category? Or the pink and purple BLRO? Are there not numerous others with similarly short run times?
Old 26 October 2019, 05:48 PM   #11
peterpl
Banned

Rarity and modern Rolex should never be used in the same sentence.

There is no such thing as a rare modern Rolex. Especially a ceramic Rolex. LOL
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 05:58 PM   #12
blada4life
"TRF" Member

How Rare Is The SD4K?

I think rarity for modern rolexes is non existent. Truly it’s not. The watch was not as popular and cancelled within 2-3 years so in terms of that context it is rare but for true collector value look at current vintage. There are probably hundreds of pieces produced back in the 70s vs thousands for a modern Rolex. Also, today, everyone is and wants to be a collector. Rolexes are so hot. I know people who get a Batman and keep it with stickers on and stick them in their safes. Today there will be no such thing as a handful of mint Daytonas or submariners or 1675 Pepsi’s. People didn’t save them in stickered condition back in the 70s like they do today. No point to rely on this being a collectors piece. Sure, it will be a collectors item TO A DEGREE, but will not attain the value growth some of these Uber collectible vintage pieces get. Yes a SD4K might be $20k in like 15 years BUT the 5512 might be $100k. Just saying but the collectors “market” and collecting of watches started in the early 2000s. You have plenty of watch dealers that socked away like 10 stickered zenith Daytona’s and still have them sitting in the safe, waiting for it to become the next 6263. For various reasons, this watch will grow but it will never attain the same collectibility as a true vintage (today’s vintage) Rolex watch. If you want to collect subs and have a $15k budget, go for a 5512 or a 5513 instead. There’s a large range of pricing on it depending on year but I guarantee it will be more collectible than the modern Rolex models (excluding the white gold Pepsi which was made for only 1 year).

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 06:01 PM   #13
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Rare as hens teeth buy up all you can as they will be worth millions each in a few years.
Old 26 October 2019, 06:04 PM   #14
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganagati View Post
What about others like the BLNR with oyster fall into the same category? Or the pink and purple BLRO? Are there not numerous others with similarly short run times?

If the mark1 Pepsi bezel was on the dial you would be on to something. BUT given that Rolex now does random serials, it would be hard to pinpoint year and the bezel could simply be interchangeable. Rolex killed it with the random serials. Further, bezel rarely points to collectibility. Value and rarity is almost always in the dial (except if you have a fat four Kermit bezel) but even then, kermits we’re produced in much less quantity that the pink Pepsi bezel. This bezel was on not only the ss model but also on the white gold variation.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 06:25 PM   #15
vivicorsi
Banned

The 116600 is a rare watch by modern Rolex standards.
Short production run, not very popular.
If you are asking collectibility, than this is a very good bet.
Last without cyclops , last 40mm Sd.

I love mine. It is a keeper .
vivicorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 07:08 PM   #16
Muxi
"TRF" Member

It’s got the right boxes ticked for a future classic.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 07:27 PM   #17
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
I dont know how rare it is but I love it, it's so special to those who pay attention to the details.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 10:33 PM   #18
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
How Rare Is The SD4K?

I have seen a lot of opinions on numbers produced, but no facts.

Nobody knows how many Mark 1 126710 BLROs were produced. We also can not compare any data/statistics of how many flat four 16610LVs were produced, as compared to the 116600 SD4k.

Go back to posts in 2007 and 2008 pertaining to flat fours, and you will see the same comments about how it didn’t matter, would never be more collectible, etc. Fast forward- one quick search in the classifieds or C24, and those people were dead wrong.

The Sea-Dweller is not as popular as the Submariner (fact), and Rolex would not have produced as many SDs as Subs (2 years ago or now). Love it or hate it, the SD4k is few and far between.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:30 PM   #19
LittleGothamDragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
short run is all we know. how rare? who knows
LittleGothamDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 04:54 PM   #20
The1019
Banned

It’s like 1 in hundreds of thousands so very rare yes
The1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:32 PM   #21
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
It’s rare when Bobs watches offered me THOUSANDS more than I paid for it. And they did and are still pestering me to sell it to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FC859538-5E02-4F2C-A0BE-F094B973C84E.jpeg (144.9 KB, 3005 views)
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 11:27 PM   #22
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfcheung View Post
I dont know how rare it is but I love it, it's so special to those who pay attention to the details.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Beautiful picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 12:15 AM   #23
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Sd43 cyclops ruins the watch....only makes the sd4k more desireable....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 12:57 AM   #24
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Not sure where you are getting your data from, and I don't know Rolex's production numbers either but the new larger Sea Dweller has been extremely popular since its release and has totally brought the SD into a new market - namely people who wanted a larger dive watch, yet without going up to the gigantic DSSD. These are being gobbled up everywhere while the SD4k was certainly more of a niche watch since it was the same size as the Sub with a much more hefty price tag. The new version essentially appeals to anyone who likes a Sub (and who doesn't really?) but found the 40mm size too small for their liking. Heck the SD43 got so popular they added a two tone version. I don't want to get into which one is "better" than the other, I'm just saying from everything I have seen they do certainly appear to be more popular than the previous version.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 02:11 AM   #25
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
OP: if you have a good relationship with an AD, I would ask them how many 4Ks they got over it’s run. Also ask how many BLNRs on oyster they were getting per year.

I had this conversation with a larger AD and they said 6-10 BLNRs per year, and 2-3 4Ks per year.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 02:28 AM   #26
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
OP: if you have a good relationship with an AD, I would ask them how many 4Ks they got over it’s run. Also ask how many BLNRs on oyster they were getting per year.

I had this conversation with a larger AD and they said 6-10 BLNRs per year, and 2-3 4Ks per year.
That's a nice way to approximate it!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 03:34 AM   #27
vivicorsi
Banned

The sd4k was rarely sold,unpopular and had a short prodcution run. unloved at the time, it will come back with a vengance. certainly an absolute future classic.
Old 6 November 2019, 03:38 AM   #28
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It’s rare to those who want one. Much like the YM. Meaning, not popular.

Ha good point, yep the YM is "rare" too
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 03:53 AM   #29
vivicorsi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Ha good point, yep the YM is "rare" too
nope ,cause you can easily buy one.try to buy an 116600 ....with box papers ,and unworn it is now over 13000 Euros in Europe. i bought mine a year ago unworn for 10500.
unpopular it has been,yes...but not any more. 20k in 2-5 years, that is for sure. mark my words.
Old 6 November 2019, 04:15 AM   #30
djgallo
Banned

Not rare, wink, wink. Don’t let anybody fool you...the SD4K is currently highly collectable...and worth a lot more than they originally sold for.

For those saying it’s not rare...they missed the train...every one of them would have bought one —-if they would have only known.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote