The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 April 2021, 12:28 PM   #61
Jeronimo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Congratulations, looks good on your wrist and is far from common. Two thumbs up!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeronimo
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:16 PM   #62
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
Congratulations, looks good on your wrist and is far from common. Two thumbs up!

Cheers!

Thanks!
Old 20 April 2021, 03:10 PM   #63
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
That's a good looking watch!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 06:31 PM   #64
Sanderrr
"TRF" Member

Niiiiiice!
Sanderrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 08:11 PM   #65
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
That's a good looking watch!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderrr View Post
Niiiiiice!

Thanks!
Old 21 April 2021, 05:03 PM   #66
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Summer vibes and that trademark orange
Old 21 April 2021, 06:19 PM   #67
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Really stunning !
Cannot wait to see it in the flesh on the orange strap at the weekend.

I'd looked at a grey perlon band from Eulit which I quite fancy trying. I thought I'd read on one of the reviews that the lug width is 20mm ?
Flying Clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 11:27 PM   #68
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Clog View Post
Really stunning !
Cannot wait to see it in the flesh on the orange strap at the weekend.

I'd looked at a grey perlon band from Eulit which I quite fancy trying. I thought I'd read on one of the reviews that the lug width is 20mm ?

Thanks! I just checked the Eulit website, nice straps. Yes 20mm should fit.
Old 21 April 2021, 11:58 PM   #69
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Thanks! I just checked the Eulit website, nice straps. Yes 20mm should fit.
Nice - thanks for that.

The boutique just called me and due to unprecedented demand I have to wait another week.
Old 22 April 2021, 12:58 AM   #70
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Definitely not something you see everyday. Beautiful watch. Congrats!
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 01:05 PM   #71
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

I just saw a guy wearing this at a watch store. Now I want one!
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 02:06 PM   #72
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Need one!!!
Old 7 July 2021, 02:16 PM   #73
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

SJX just did another review this week.
https://watchesbysjx.com/2021/07/hermes-h08-review.html

It really is the go anywhere do anything watch.

Old 7 July 2021, 08:52 PM   #74
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

SJX just did another review this week.
https://watchesbysjx.com/2021/07/hermes-h08-review.html

It really is the go anywhere do anything watch.
Thanks for sharing the review - nice write up.

Am still loving mine too. Did you get any further with selecting a new strap ?
Old 7 July 2021, 09:09 PM   #75
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the review - nice write up.

Am still loving mine too. Did you get any further with selecting a new strap ?

Tbh I’ve not followed up on the straps yet… I’m very happy with the orange rubber strap … perfect for summer! But thanks for reminding me! I’ll go in this weekend to the boutique
Old 7 July 2021, 10:34 PM   #76
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Love this watch. I would buy it if you could find it. Congrats!
Old 8 July 2021, 12:10 AM   #77
smalleq
"TRF" Member

I wore this as an almost everyday watch for two months and ultimately ended up selling it and buying a Santos.

I still think its a great watch, but I realized it wasn't going to quite fit into the vision I had for my collection like I hoped it would. I had a couple niggles with the watch and the "Hermes" experience, that I probably could have lived with, but other than that, I think its a very successful design and would generally recommend it to anybody who finds it appealing.
smalleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:11 AM   #78
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalleq View Post
I wore this as an almost everyday watch for two months and ultimately ended up selling it and buying a Santos.

I still think its a great watch, but I realized it wasn't going to quite fit into the vision I had for my collection like I hoped it would. I had a couple niggles with the watch and the "Hermes" experience, that I probably could have lived with, but other than that, I think its a very successful design and would generally recommend it to anybody who finds it appealing.
Out of interest, what were the niggles with the watch and Hermes experience?
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 03:01 AM   #79
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’ve come back here several times for pics and each time I leave more impressed.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 05:14 AM   #80
smalleq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horationelson View Post
Out of interest, what were the niggles with the watch and Hermes experience?
For reference, I wore this on average 4 days a week during my time with it.
As mentioned somewhere in this thread, the crown is too small. On a round watch, where the case is curving away from the crown, you get enough clearance to easily manipulate a crown this size. With a straight side and low clearance once unscrewed, its hard to get a good grasp on the crown. This is not really a problem for using the crown to set the time, but comes into play when trying to screw it back down. Without being able to firmly control it, I think the possibility of cross-threading during screw down is high and for me, maybe only a matter of time.

The depolyant is both ingenious and physically irritating. The microadjustment is great. No worries about being in the middle of a hole placement with this watch. It's essentially infinitely adjustable within the range of the first and last hole. That said, the deployant is on the thick side from what I've experience and while a lot of thought went into finishing the deployant similarly to the watch itself, I found the pivot where the two pieces of the deployant meet to be kind of sharp (in contrast to all the other edges of the clasp which are nicely rounded off) and dig in and irritate my wrist. I think the bulkiness made this worse

To be fair, I've run into a similar issue with delployants digging into my wrist uncomfortably on other watches with similar clasp (GO Seventies for one), so it may just be my comfort level. The current Santos clasp avoids this issue by basically having the excess tail sit in between the wrist and the clasp and is proving to be incredibly comfortable.

I didn't mind the date that much, but I still think this would be better without one or at least done differently and I would not consider myself to be in the "date haters" club.

Regarding the Hermes experience, it started out really well. As noted in the thread, I called when it was announced and my local boutique held one of the two they had received for me to check out and purchase for almost a week without any purchase history there, which I thought was pretty cool.

Afterwards I had questions and I was completely unimpressed. I had noticed a couple weeks later when I was looking for something that they hadn't included the correct manual in the box. The manual was for their quartz pieces. Not a big deal, its not like this was a perpetual calendar, so its not really needed, but I would rather have it than not.

Secondly, I wanted to know about acquiring a second strap, preferably the orange rubber for summer.

So, I called the boutique, which seems to almost never picks up live and left a message for my sales assistant. No call back. I tried Hermes online support, they told me that all questions had to go through their boutiques. So, I called and left messages at least once a week for 6 weeks, nobody ever called me back. Because they were appointment only for those 6 weeks and I wasn't super stressed about any of this, I waited until I had an excuse to be in the area (which was an appointment with the Cartier boutique down the hall) By that point the Hermes boutique had opened up without appointments being necessary. Basically, the answers I got regarding the manual and the straps were completely unhelpful/useless answers. I did mention to them that nobody ever returned my calls and they did apologize.

The above sounds like I'm really mad, but the truth is it wasn't that big of a deal. I sold the watch primarily because I wanted something a bit more formal/appropriate for my work travel that is about to go back to more normal pre-covid times and my appointment at Cartier that day helped me realize the Santos was a better fit for what I wanted/needed. Since they are essentially the same size, shape and even a similar color scheme (I got the Santos with the grey dial), it didn't make sense to keep both and I moved the H08 on.

I still think it's a wonderful watch and if I had unlimited funds and a desire for a bigger collection, I would happily have kept it. But I'm not sure I'm likely to get heavily invested in another Hermes timepiece based on my experience. That said, I'm not a high roller with a large purchase history at a place like Hermes, so perhaps its different for other people.
smalleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 06:14 AM   #81
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalleq View Post
For reference, I wore this on average 4 days a week during my time with it.
As mentioned somewhere in this thread, the crown is too small. On a round watch, where the case is curving away from the crown, you get enough clearance to easily manipulate a crown this size. With a straight side and low clearance once unscrewed, its hard to get a good grasp on the crown. This is not really a problem for using the crown to set the time, but comes into play when trying to screw it back down. Without being able to firmly control it, I think the possibility of cross-threading during screw down is high and for me, maybe only a matter of time.

The depolyant is both ingenious and physically irritating. The microadjustment is great. No worries about being in the middle of a hole placement with this watch. It's essentially infinitely adjustable within the range of the first and last hole. That said, the deployant is on the thick side from what I've experience and while a lot of thought went into finishing the deployant similarly to the watch itself, I found the pivot where the two pieces of the deployant meet to be kind of sharp (in contrast to all the other edges of the clasp which are nicely rounded off) and dig in and irritate my wrist. I think the bulkiness made this worse

To be fair, I've run into a similar issue with delployants digging into my wrist uncomfortably on other watches with similar clasp (GO Seventies for one), so it may just be my comfort level. The current Santos clasp avoids this issue by basically having the excess tail sit in between the wrist and the clasp and is proving to be incredibly comfortable.

I didn't mind the date that much, but I still think this would be better without one or at least done differently and I would not consider myself to be in the "date haters" club.

Regarding the Hermes experience, it started out really well. As noted in the thread, I called when it was announced and my local boutique held one of the two they had received for me to check out and purchase for almost a week without any purchase history there, which I thought was pretty cool.

Afterwards I had questions and I was completely unimpressed. I had noticed a couple weeks later when I was looking for something that they hadn't included the correct manual in the box. The manual was for their quartz pieces. Not a big deal, its not like this was a perpetual calendar, so its not really needed, but I would rather have it than not.

Secondly, I wanted to know about acquiring a second strap, preferably the orange rubber for summer.

So, I called the boutique, which seems to almost never picks up live and left a message for my sales assistant. No call back. I tried Hermes online support, they told me that all questions had to go through their boutiques. So, I called and left messages at least once a week for 6 weeks, nobody ever called me back. Because they were appointment only for those 6 weeks and I wasn't super stressed about any of this, I waited until I had an excuse to be in the area (which was an appointment with the Cartier boutique down the hall) By that point the Hermes boutique had opened up without appointments being necessary. Basically, the answers I got regarding the manual and the straps were completely unhelpful/useless answers. I did mention to them that nobody ever returned my calls and they did apologize.

The above sounds like I'm really mad, but the truth is it wasn't that big of a deal. I sold the watch primarily because I wanted something a bit more formal/appropriate for my work travel that is about to go back to more normal pre-covid times and my appointment at Cartier that day helped me realize the Santos was a better fit for what I wanted/needed. Since they are essentially the same size, shape and even a similar color scheme (I got the Santos with the grey dial), it didn't make sense to keep both and I moved the H08 on.

I still think it's a wonderful watch and if I had unlimited funds and a desire for a bigger collection, I would happily have kept it. But I'm not sure I'm likely to get heavily invested in another Hermes timepiece based on my experience. That said, I'm not a high roller with a large purchase history at a place like Hermes, so perhaps its different for other people.
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I am also not a high roller and have never been in a Hermes store or purchased online.
Fortunately my experience was a complete opposite to yours.
Communication and expectation setting was great and the watch was available when agreed.

Agree completely about the crown and the possibility for cross threading when screwing the crown back in. It seems even more tricky to wind than my Speedy Pro, and as you say, screwing down does seem harder than it needs to be.

I'm lucky that I don't find the clasp uncomfortable - it sits quite well on my 16.5cm wrists - even on the last strap hole it's still a tiny bit bigger than I would have liked, but is comfortable. I would like the opportunity to have more strap choice available. I did get a 3rd party strap but the lug design makes the strap sit too far from the case and looks rubbish.

I don't use the date and find it superfluous.
Love the dial font and colour, the shape and the size - reminds me almost of a PP Aquanaut.

I think it's something different at a nice price point. So far at least
Old 8 July 2021, 03:54 PM   #82
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I am also not a high roller and have never been in a Hermes store or purchased online.
Fortunately my experience was a complete opposite to yours.
Communication and expectation setting was great and the watch was available when agreed.

Agree completely about the crown and the possibility for cross threading when screwing the crown back in. It seems even more tricky to wind than my Speedy Pro, and as you say, screwing down does seem harder than it needs to be.

I'm lucky that I don't find the clasp uncomfortable - it sits quite well on my 16.5cm wrists - even on the last strap hole it's still a tiny bit bigger than I would have liked, but is comfortable. I would like the opportunity to have more strap choice available. I did get a 3rd party strap but the lug design makes the strap sit too far from the case and looks rubbish.

I don't use the date and find it superfluous.
Love the dial font and colour, the shape and the size - reminds me almost of a PP Aquanaut.

I think it's something different at a nice price point. So far at least

Very similar experience for me as well. I love everything about it except the strap length. I’d love a shorter rubber strap and I’m hoping they will have one eventually.

The boutique experience has been great. And the watch itself hasn’t disappointed in any way.
Old 8 July 2021, 10:20 PM   #83
kevn00
"TRF" Member

great pickup! it looks great.
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 08:50 PM   #84
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Can those with smaller to medium wrists provide a wrist shot along with wrist size? Local boutique doesn't have one unfortunately.

And to OP: Is there slack in the strap after using last hole and micro adjustment and is your wrist size around 16 cm or 17 cm? My wrist is around 6.25 inches or more depending on time of day and burgers so hoping it fits snug.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 11:14 PM   #85
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgt3 View Post
Can those with smaller to medium wrists provide a wrist shot along with wrist size? Local boutique doesn't have one unfortunately.

And to OP: Is there slack in the strap after using last hole and micro adjustment and is your wrist size around 16 cm or 17 cm? My wrist is around 6.25 inches or more depending on time of day and burgers so hoping it fits snug.

17 cm wrist here. With pin in last hole and micro adjust in use, the fit is snug. Micro adjust is very useful after a workout or on a hot day when a cm or or two more is needed.

Here’s a few wrist shots

Old 19 July 2021, 12:19 AM   #86
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Thanks OP! Super helpful. So to confirm, is your wrist closer to 6.7 inches round vs 6.3? Do you think there would be slack for someone at 6.3ish? I wish i could try it on first.
Old 19 July 2021, 01:16 AM   #87
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgt3 View Post
Thanks OP! Super helpful. So to confirm, is your wrist closer to 6.7 inches round vs 6.3? Do you think there would be slack for someone at 6.3ish? I wish i could try it on first.

I go between 16-17 cm so that’s around 6.3-6.7” and I’ve found the fit to be perfect. Are you planning to get the rubber or the nato style? The nato type strap may be a better choice I suspect.
Old 19 July 2021, 01:23 AM   #88
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I go between 16-17 cm so that’s around 6.3-6.7” and I’ve found the fit to be perfect. Are you planning to get the rubber or the nato style? The nato type strap may be a better choice I suspect.
Definitely want rubber...hm
Old 19 July 2021, 01:42 AM   #89
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, do you happen to know the lug to lug dimension for this watch? Thanks again for the responsiveness!
Old 19 July 2021, 04:33 AM   #90
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My wrists are a similar size - 16.5cm and on the last strap hole the orange rubber fits well.