The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 December 2009, 09:15 PM   #31
mikelprz
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
This is why I wore my Panerai GMT to Iraq, and not my Rolex. My PAM 88 completed 2 tours with me. Solid watch. I took it into service afterwards, sold it, and got back my original cost of the watch. Ceramic bezels won't stand up to real use. I am curious to know if Rolex will take care of this for you.
Old 29 December 2009, 10:34 PM   #32
rolexsubdate
Banned

but $500 is not a lot to replace it ...considering the metal ones are around $120 ....plus the ceramics look nice too ...
Old 29 December 2009, 10:50 PM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsubdate View Post
Take care of it for free? I do not think so and they should not because you guys are bordering on abuse ... you guys are taking a $6,000 watch and beating the crap out of it and the worst thing that happens is a little chip in the bezel .... that itself speaks on what an awesome watch it is. You are doing plumbing with or banging it around, sooner or later something is gonna give...

Plus ceramic = stone like substance. If you give it an impact force, it will chip and break. It is not metal ...
While I would agree with you to a point,myself quite hard on my watches while working as a dive guide/instructor.Sure my watches got scratched and sometimes the inserts too.But the inserts never chipped and were very easy and cheap to replace around $45 last time I bought one two years ago.Now I agree with you today perhaps the need for this so called extra ceramic toughness in most Rolex watches today.It is not really needed,as most Rolex watches today get a very pampered life so IMHO ceramic is just a purely cosmetic factor.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 29 December 2009, 10:55 PM   #34
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsubdate View Post
but $500 is not a lot to replace it ...considering the metal ones are around $120 ....plus the ceramics look nice too ...
I only paid 1/3 of that price to purchase a brand new metal insert [installed] from Rolex St. James, London.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 29 December 2009, 11:01 PM   #35
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I only paid 1/3 of that price to purchase a brand new metal insert [installed] from Rolex St. James, London.
dP
X2 that where I got mine from and fitted while I waited.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 29 December 2009, 11:16 PM   #36
smh223
"TRF" Member

wonder what all these watches are gonna look like in 30 years...the for sale section is gonna read like this "2009 V Serial 116710 - Bezel NOT Cracked"
Old 30 December 2009, 12:22 AM   #37
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh223 View Post
wonder what all these watches are gonna look like in 30 years...the for sale section is gonna read like this "2009 V Serial 116710 - Bezel NOT Cracked"
HAHAHA I think you've got it! Although I will be pushing 80 in 30 years, I personally may still be reveling in my "Vintage" y & d series "classics"
Old 30 December 2009, 12:26 AM   #38
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by masugu View Post
HAHAHA I think you've got it! Although I will be pushing 80 in 30 years, I personally may still be reveling in my "Vintage" y & d series "classics"
--------------me too !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
Old 30 December 2009, 12:31 AM   #39
rkammer
"TRF" Member

Just an afterthought..........

If you do decide to write Rolex a letter and send it back, I would have the case and bracelet touched up by a Rolex qualified watchmaker so that the watch doesn't show its heavy usage. If Rolex decides that a "carefully worn" watch had a fluke bezel failure, they might think about cutting you some slack and replacing it under the warranty. It's worth a try.
Old 30 December 2009, 12:39 AM   #40
STEELINOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
If you do decide to write Rolex a letter and send it back, I would have the case and bracelet touched up by a Rolex qualified watchmaker so that the watch doesn't show its heavy usage. If Rolex decides that a "carefully worn" watch had a fluke bezel failure, they might think about cutting you some slack and replacing it under the warranty. It's worth a try.
Nice, whatta great idea !

*Positive Waves Baby*
INFORTHE WIN
Old 30 December 2009, 01:26 AM   #41
Brit78
"TRF" Member

Wow. Never seen a cracked one before. That's no good. Hopefully they will work with you.
Old 30 December 2009, 01:33 AM   #42
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about the damage, but like others have said, ceramic IS brittle. Hope you don't have to spend an arm and a leg getting it fixed. Keep us posted.
Old 30 December 2009, 01:37 AM   #43
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
RE: Touching up the Case.......

I don't think that would be a good idea. Sport models are made to be worn and advertised to be tough enough to handle all kinds of extremes and rigors of everday use. To me a "clean" case would indicate an unusual impact like dropping it on a concrete or tile floor. When I was looking at ceramics my AD specifically stated that dropping the watch was 98% of ceramic bezel failures and was specifically excluded from Warranty. IMO, if sent in with a clean "as new" case, a drop would be assumed and warranty immediately denied. I think that any type of failure while on your wrist would be defendable and warrantable. IMHO.........honesty.......and firmly demanding the Warranty you purchased with the watch, offers the best chance of getting the coverage.

Good Luck!!
Old 30 December 2009, 01:52 AM   #44
scl6118
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by connecticutrolex View Post
I would take the time to write to Rolex and send your watch in for warranty repair. This certainly doesn't look good for their reputation- especially based on the claims of the durability of the ceramic bezel and it's scratch resistant property. Perhaps this will be interpreted as a manufacturer's defect and be replaced at no cost. Just being optimistic for you! It's worth a shot before spending $500+ Good luck.
Do you really think a ceramic bezel, or any bezel, should not have any damage after hitting it with a "swinging necklace of keys"? Seriously, that's like whipping a hammer at it and acting shocked when the bezel breaks! The ceramic is made to be scratch resistant, fade resistant, and durable, WHICH IT IS! That doesn't mean it's impervious to major blunt force with metal objects! Blaming Rolex is totally ridiculous!

Current: SS GMT IIC
Former: Panerai 114
Former: Breitling Hercules

:
Old 30 December 2009, 02:19 AM   #45
STEELINOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl6118 View Post
Do you really think a ceramic bezel, or any bezel, should not have any damage after hitting it with a "swinging necklace of keys"? Seriously, that's like whipping a hammer at it and acting shocked when the bezel breaks! The ceramic is made to be scratch resistant, fade resistant, and durable, WHICH IT IS! That doesn't mean it's impervious to major blunt force with metal objects! Blaming Rolex is totally ridiculous!
hmm, me hears some reality !
I too think its utterly redicurous/ludicrous/unreasonable, to try and sell ROLEX on performing warranty work on something that clearly is not a result of fx of the part !
Bad form !

*Positive Waves Baby*
INFORTHE WIN
Old 30 December 2009, 02:27 AM   #46
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
Thanks for all your ideas there are too many to quote.

I too was surprised that the Crystal had no damage. Obviously this area must be the thinnest part of the bezel and a key must have hit it just right. After wearing an old faded and scratched Pepsi I would rather have that look than this look. Although it is not noticeable unless pointed out. I am a little worried that there is just an open hole there now. I am not sure if water getting under it is a bad thing? How are these supposed to be anchored? The other thing is the chip is as sharp as a razor

If i do decide to write Rolex I would explain exactly what happened and that i do use my watch (probably not everything) but regardless the watch is meant to be worn and last a lifetime if not two or three like my 1675 has. I guess I am a little disappointed in the fact that a7k watch cant withstand a blow from a 90 pound little girl and a set of keys. Maybe they need her in the Rolex test facility swinging a set of keys at the new ceramics till they get it right...

Bummed out but not mad at Rolex. Whatever I do I will let you know how it plays out.

Postiff
Old 30 December 2009, 02:30 AM   #47
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

O dear, i know couple other people that happened to
Old 30 December 2009, 02:56 AM   #48
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

Rolex can not be blamed for this at all, it is not a manufacturing default. They may be tough but try swinging keys around, sharp metal edges being hit with force is going to break any watch! It could of quite easily been your crystal as well. You are lucky it hit your watch and not an eye.
Old 30 December 2009, 04:25 AM   #49
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I cringe every time I see a cracked GMT bezel insert. I would send to Dallas RSC, and see what they say. Posting the correspondence here would be cool for all of us to see. These inserts should be able to handle the day-to-day bangings that our Rolex endure each day.

-Sheldon
Old 30 December 2009, 04:32 AM   #50
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

I seem to remember Rolex's web site saying the ceramic is virtually indestructible. Check it out, and if it does, see if they will do it for free. I believe it is around $900 and up. You would want one from you AD. I would never buy one from ebay.
Old 30 December 2009, 04:34 AM   #51
SDDS
"TRF" Member

too bad to hear that.. but i cant understand this.. the ceramic bezel supposed to be scratch resistant and more durable than the old aluminum insert.. but as i see and read more and more posts concerning ceramic inserts being damaged or cracked or falling off.. you tend to think differently towards the ceramic..for me i luv the ceramic bezel on my deepsea.. but i begin to worry about the ceramic bezel being hit by something or get cracked etc.. when i wear my lv sub i dont think of anything towards the aluminum bezel...thats strange
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
Old 30 December 2009, 04:36 AM   #52
petespendthrift

It may not be Rolex's problem but it is their fault. They "improved" the design and charged a lot more for it so they should be honourable enough to stand by their premium priced product.

The reason there are relatively few instances of this is because most owners treat DSSDs and the new GMTs like they would a gold dress watch (ie. very carefully).

Rolex should show good will to those that still use them as a steel sports watch or make it clear they are actually now dress watches in their advertising and in their dealer to customer advice. If they sell the watch for $2000 more than they used to, they have to meet much higher expectations from their customers.

The old cheap aluminium bezel, if given the same treatment, might be scratched but would easily still be useable until the next service and then only cost $50 to replace.

The crystal did not shatter because it is much thicker - the ceramic insert is not much thicker than an egg shell where this one has chipped. The action that cause the damage does not sound like it involved excessive force and its not the result of a defect either.
Old 30 December 2009, 04:42 AM   #53
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
[QUOTE]The old cheap aluminium bezel/QUOTE]

I prefer classic, inexpensive aluminum bezel.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 30 December 2009, 04:42 AM   #54
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
WHOA!!

After reading all of the above, I wonder how many of you are still looking forward to Rolex rejuvenating the famous Sub-date 16610 to a Ceramic bezel?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 30 December 2009, 04:43 AM   #55
Playdrv4me
"TRF" Member

Watch: the 4Sale section!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
WHOA!!

After reading all of the above, I wonder how many of you are still looking forward to Rolex rejuvenating the famous Sub-date 16610 to a Ceramic bezel?
Me.
Old 30 December 2009, 04:44 AM   #56
PacNW

Watch: Rolex DayDate
FWIW I'd just buy a new bezel...if I damage one of my watches I blame it on operator error and get it fixed.
Old 30 December 2009, 04:45 AM   #57
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
too bad to hear that.. but i cant understand this.. the ceramic bezel supposed to be scratch resistant and more durable than the old aluminum insert.. but as i see and read more and more posts concerning ceramic inserts being damaged or cracked or falling off.. you tend to think differently towards the ceramic..for me i luv the ceramic bezel on my deepsea.. but i begin to worry about the ceramic bezel being hit by something or get cracked etc.. when i wear my lv sub i dont think of anything towards the aluminum bezel...thats strange
Indeed, i also am a fan of the ceramic bezel on the Deepsea
Old 30 December 2009, 04:45 AM   #58
jaustindds
2024 Pledge Member

I'd rather deal with scratches on a metal bezel insert than cracking and breaking of the ceramic bezel insert.
Old 30 December 2009, 04:48 AM   #59
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000ftSub View Post
Indeed, i also am a fan of the ceramic bezel on the Deepsea
I'm pretty sure the DSSD bezel is NOT Ceramic........it's called CERACHROME, a bit different from the GMT-IIC bezel.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 30 December 2009, 04:48 AM   #60
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Maybe Rolex should have made the ceramic bezel thicker to better withstand the bangs and bumps a watch takes. After all, these are sport watches. That said, I remember A SHOPNBC show where the host took a hammer to a ceramic watch bracelt to show us how tough it is. Let me tell you, it took several hits with the hammer with the band on the desk to start the ceramic cracking. Ceramic today should be pretty tough. Otherwise, why use it just because it may be more colorfast and more resistant to corrosion? If the ceramic is going to break easily, I think Rolex should replace them all with a metal bezel and let us get on with our watch wearing.

Lee
Closed Thread