The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 04:49 AM   #61
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl6118 View Post
Do you really think a ceramic bezel, or any bezel, should not have any damage after hitting it with a "swinging necklace of keys"? Seriously, that's like whipping a hammer at it and acting shocked when the bezel breaks! The ceramic is made to be scratch resistant, fade resistant, and durable, WHICH IT IS! That doesn't mean it's impervious to major blunt force with metal objects! Blaming Rolex is totally ridiculous!
Old 30 December 2009, 04:50 AM   #62
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
[QUOTE=Dan Pierce;1534227]
Quote:
The old cheap aluminium bezel/QUOTE]

I prefer classic, inexpensive aluminum bezel.
dP
Have to agree Dan and has a track record of 50 plus years without any problems and very inexpencive to replace.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 30 December 2009, 04:56 AM   #63
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
It may not be Rolex's problem but it is their fault. They "improved" the design and charged a lot more for it so they should be honourable enough to stand by their premium priced product.

The reason there are relatively few instances of this is because most owners treat DSSDs and the new GMTs like they would a gold dress watch (ie. very carefully).

Rolex should show good will to those that still use them as a steel sports watch or make it clear they are actually now dress watches in their advertising and in their dealer to customer advice. If they sell the watch for $2000 more than they used to, they have to meet much higher expectations from their customers.

The old cheap aluminium bezel, if given the same treatment, might be scratched but would easily still be useable until the next service and then only cost $50 to replace.

The crystal did not shatter because it is much thicker - the ceramic insert is not much thicker than an egg shell where this one has chipped. The action that cause the damage does not sound like it involved excessive force and its not the result of a defect either.
Not sure how you can gauge this from the OP's post?

Also, if I damage my Rolex because I or someone else whacks it, then Rolex should be "honourable" and fix it? Sure they'll fix it; not so sure if they'll do it gratis. Would be nice if they did, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 30 December 2009, 05:03 AM   #64
flyinbrian
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I'm pretty sure the DSSD bezel is NOT Ceramic........it's called CERACHROME, a bit different from the GMT-IIC bezel.

JJ
They are both the same according to Rolex's website.
Old 30 December 2009, 05:03 AM   #65
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
WHOA!!

After reading all of the above, I wonder how many of you are still looking forward to Rolex rejuvenating the famous Sub-date 16610 to a Ceramic bezel?
I dont, and would never buy one, however if I were to receive one, I would bastardo it and retro an ALL aluminum setup !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
Old 30 December 2009, 05:06 AM   #66
Playdrv4me
"TRF" Member

Watch: the 4Sale section!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwn98 View Post
Not sure how you can gauge this from the OP's post?

Also, if I damage my Rolex because I or someone else whacks it, then Rolex should be "honourable" and fix it? Sure they'll fix it; not so sure if they'll do it gratis. Would be nice if they did, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I agree, a METAL key hitting a CERAMIC surface at just the right angle/force seems to me like it could resonate enough to cause various levels of damage.

Seems similar to how it sometimes doesn't take any force at all to accidentally break a glass decanter.
Old 30 December 2009, 05:06 AM   #67
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrian View Post
thats also what i have read on the Rolex catalog.. its called CERACHROM for both GMT and DSSD.. and to be more specific its called the Cerachrom Disc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ceramic.JPG (15.8 KB, 406 views)
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
Old 30 December 2009, 05:08 AM   #68
Playdrv4me
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's right. Cerachrom is their generic name for a Ceramic bezel with a Chromed finish. It is the same thing.
Old 30 December 2009, 05:09 AM   #69
flyinbrian
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I am curious if the OP is for sure certain that the key caused the damage. As stated he wears his watch doing everything and in some harsh environments and also said he did not notice it right away. Who's to say for sure if the key was the cause.
Old 30 December 2009, 05:12 AM   #70
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
thats also what i have read on the Rolex catalog.. its called CERACHROM for both GMT and DSSD..
Yes, you are right......I just checked my latest 2009 Rolex catalogue.......but when you hold them side by side, they look different.

The new Subs seem to have the same Cerachrom disc as the DSSD, but looks different from the Ceramic bezel of the GMT-IIC. Wonder why?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 30 December 2009, 05:20 AM   #71
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, you are right......I just checked my latest 2009 Rolex catalogue.......but when you hold them side by side, they look different.

The new Subs seem to have the same Cerachrom disc as the DSSD, but looks different from the Ceramic bezel of the GMT-IIC. Wonder why?
maybe u r right when comparing the sub with the gmt but the dssd and gmt is exactly the same..
Old 30 December 2009, 05:20 AM   #72
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:

That's an interesting topic. Has someone tried to compare the DSSD or GMT IIC bezel colour and characteristics against e.g. a black Rado? I will do it myself when I get my first Rolex in 2010, so if noone has done it yet, I'll post a topic then.
Old 30 December 2009, 05:32 AM   #73
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
maybe u r right when comparing the sub with the gmt but the dssd and gmt is exactly the same..
Is it? I thought the DSSD and the new Subs look the same.

The GMT-IIC looks more like the real Ceramic, whereas the DSSD and Subs look more like metal.

I wish someone would clear this up.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 30 December 2009, 07:18 AM   #74
SDDS
"TRF" Member

here is a pic to compare...l
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaa.jpg (64.0 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg asskj.jpg (55.4 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg 122.jpg (57.3 KB, 387 views)
Old 30 December 2009, 07:20 AM   #75
STEELINOX

Quote:
Those all look like fine china !

*Positive Waves Baby*
INFORTHE WIN
Old 30 December 2009, 07:28 AM   #76
Playdrv4me
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
Those all look like fine china !
Ok THAT was pretty funny.
Old 30 December 2009, 07:30 AM   #77
STEELINOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
Ok THAT was pretty funny.
Allright, thats it for me - You've been great !

*Positive Waves Baby*
INFORTHE WIN
Old 30 December 2009, 07:41 AM   #78
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
Wow well thank you for sharing. This is good for me to know. Being a former Chef. I was always told the ceramic knives are great but never got one myself as I heard that if you drop a ceramic knife that was it and your $250.00 knife would be laying in pieces. This left me concerned when Rolex jumped on ship with all this ceramic business I saw other watch makers doing.

On another note I think Rolex has changed alot over the last few years. If you read the book Rolex best of time an unarouthized history. You will know what I am talking about or you may know from your own experence.
Old 30 December 2009, 09:43 AM   #79
scl6118
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIC
Quote:
I am curious if the OP is for sure certain that the key caused the damage. As stated he wears his watch doing everything and in some harsh environments and also said he did not notice it right away. Who's to say for sure if the key was the cause.
That's a good point! When I read the post I found it odd that he stated that he inspected the watch after the key hit and didn't see any damage. Several days later, he then noticed the damage. It seems very plausible that he may have damaged it another way and didn't realize it.

Current: SS GMT IIC
Former: Panerai 114
Former: Breitling Hercules

:
Old 30 December 2009, 09:55 AM   #80
rolexnovice

Watch: 16610
LOL! This thread is great. I told myself to save and wait till 2010 SS Ceramic Sub but after reading this post, the ceramic sounds like its more vulnerable that the steel bezel (even if a sharp object struck the watch that started this thread, the keys).

If the SS Sub C is going to be 41mm and as vulnerable as the steel, I may as well get the 40mm Steel Sub out now, instead of waiting. I think I will watch the conversations as we get closer to the release date (if it even comes out in Sept of 2010).
Old 30 December 2009, 09:57 AM   #81
rolexnovice

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj irani View Post
is it? I thought the dssd and the new subs look the same.

The gmt-iic looks more like the real ceramic, whereas the dssd and subs look more like metal.

I wish someone would clear this up.

Thanks - jj
Old 30 December 2009, 10:53 AM   #82
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I believe Cerachrome and ceramic are the same thing....

-Sheldon

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the DSSD bezel is NOT Ceramic........it's called CERACHROME, a bit different from the GMT-IIC bezel.

JJ
Old 30 December 2009, 10:56 AM   #83
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

The gmt has a shiny bezel and dial. The comparison to the
DSSD makes it appear the dial is not as shiny. However, the
bezel is comparible with the shine on the gmt. What say
you?

Lee
Old 30 December 2009, 11:10 AM   #84
Sonny Crockett

Watch: TT Yacht Master
Quote:
They all look shiny but on the GMT on the bezel top were the triangle is that's were it makes it look more like ceramic and I think it is because on the Sub and DSSD the triangle on the bezel is smaller with the pearl on it.
Old 30 December 2009, 11:15 AM   #85
WJGESQ
Banned

Thats a pretty routine incident you described. Not exactly like you dropped it off the Empire State Building. I would try Rolex for a warranty repair.
Old 30 December 2009, 11:52 AM   #86
watchmaker
TechXpert

From a business perspective they may wish to repair the bezel free of charge, a the watch is only 1 year old, and you do expect it to last. However, if they did this, I imagine there would be a letter accompanying the watch on return saying it was a gesture of goodwill, and not a repair under warranty. As many people have said, the damage is not covered by them, it is not a fault in manufacture (if it hit the crystal and it cracked, would anyone still think it was a warranty job? Probably not) I am truely sorry to hear of this situation, but the damage was caused by a person, not a failing on rolex's part. It is important that they make people aware of that.

Like i said, they could, and maybe should do it FOC put of goodwill, it costs them next to nothing. But they need to stand by their product and say we did not fail here, this is accidental damage.

Hope you get everything sorted though mate. I feel for you.
Scott
Old 30 December 2009, 12:24 PM   #87
yemenmocha
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS & TT Daytonas
Incredibly disappointing.
Omega Railmaster
Tudor Submariner
Old 30 December 2009, 01:36 PM   #88
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
I did not think that this would get up to 5 pages.

I noticed it at around 10pm on the 26th and it happened on the 25th around 1pm I do not remember doing anything in between those hours that would have caused the damage. Honestly I looked at the crystal assuming it hit that and did not look at the insert. The scary thing is I had a dream about 3 days before that the crystal shattered.

But you never know one of the 20 plus times it has hit a door jamb maybe cracked it and this was the key that broke the ceramic disc…

Let me please clarify I am in no way blaming Rolex. I am not saying they are selling a sub par product. I did not mean for my post to sound like I was plotting some elaborate scam to get it replaced on their dime. If I happen to write them a letter quoting some of their video and get it replaced as a courtesy then wonderful. If I have to pay, oh well no hard feelings. It is just a part of owning a piece like this and maybe I will be more careful now that I now the limits of the infamous ceramic.

Straight from their video on their website.

“Some may call it an obsession but at Rolex however, the pursuit of excellence is a passion. Finding the MOST DURABLE material for its bezels was just one more challenge, the answer, Ceramic”. Towards the end they say “Virtually indestructible and impervious to scratches the ceramic bezel HAS to withstand more abrasion than any other part of the watch”

Virtually in know, I know it says virtually.

http://www.rolex.com/en/index.jsp#/e...rfection/index

Postiff
Old 30 December 2009, 01:41 PM   #89
STEELINOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by postiff View Post

Let me please clarify I am in no way blaming Rolex. I am not saying they are selling a sub par product.
Postiff
I didnt think you were.

*Positive Waves Baby*
INFORTHE WIN
Old 30 December 2009, 01:45 PM   #90
watchmaker
TechXpert

Like I said buddy, good business practises say they should help you out. It's pennies to them. I like your chances with your plan to tell the truth, and quote their own marketing. The people that decide whethe or not jobs are done for free or not can tell when someone is telling the truth or lying, and they are genuinly there to help. Honesty usually gets you what you want with watch houses.

Hope things go well
Scott
Closed Thread