The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 April 2021, 01:02 AM   #391
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutchki View Post
Rolex churns out over a million.

Lange does less the 5k. There are plenty of models.

FPJ can double his production tomorrow by hiring another couple watchmakers and still not sacrifice on quality and still be called a boutique brand. It’s all a game. He wants this game and as long as people will play it he has to be nuts not too.

If you have the same Super VIP taking all the new stuff and can get as many CB they want, how can a new young collector even get his foot in The door. Maybe his dad can put him on the waiting list when he’s 9 so he can get one when he graduates college.

Same with Rolex, any high roller will get all the Daytona they want so no one stands a chance. They should limit these super popular ones to 1 per customer lifetime. Supermarkets figured this out when they sell pasta cheap. They limit.

Just sayin.
Sucks but as with Rolex, Patek, AP, etc., they will continue to get people to whale up and bundle until they think there are no more potential VIPs left in the world.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:23 AM   #392
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Rolex churns out over a million.

Lange does less the 5k. There are plenty of models.

FPJ can double his production tomorrow by hiring another couple watchmakers and still not sacrifice on quality and still be called a boutique brand. It’s all a game. He wants this game and as long as people will play it he has to be nuts not too.

If you have the same Super VIP taking all the new stuff and can get as many CB they want, how can a new young collector even get his foot in The door. Maybe his dad can put him on the waiting list when he’s 9 so he can get one when he graduates college.

Same with Rolex, any high roller will get all the Daytona they want so no one stands a chance. They should limit these super popular ones to 1 per customer lifetime. Supermarkets figured this out when they sell pasta cheap. They limit.

Just sayin.

Pasta lol what in the f%^* are we talking about here.
Old 22 April 2021, 05:38 AM   #393
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Pasta lol what in the f%^* are we talking about here.
The bizarre bucatini shortage, perhaps.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 11:21 AM   #394
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s what happens when you make 900 pieces vs 50-60,000. Terry churns out more 5711 per year than FPJ does watches.
Terry. El Tel ! 😂
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 11:27 AM   #395
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s what happens when you make 900 pieces vs 50-60,000. Terry churns out more 5711 per year than FPJ does watches.
Honestly, for an indie brand, I'm surprised Journe has so many references while still making only 900/yr.

Other brands that make this few don't have as many references.

To sustain this many, I'd say they should up their production capacity to 2,500/yr, at least.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 12:40 PM   #396
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

It seems all the top players are singing the same tune now. Just read the recent interview of W. Schmid of Lange (on SJX). He had to emphasize several times throughout the short interview how Lange is very limited in production and demands are not being met. Somehow everyone is playing “hard to get”. I began to wonder wether there are more female members on the board (a good thing) who exactly know how men think... :-)
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:03 PM   #397
lutchki
Banned

Someone gotta teach this to Grand Seiko. They make killer watches yet still available no matter how limited the edition.
lutchki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:37 PM   #398
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Personally, part of the attraction to brands like FPJ and Lange to me was that there were no games but FPJ seems to have changed and Lange is too given what they're doing with the Odysseus. My next purchase will definitely be from a small independent like Marco Lang or someone similar.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:59 PM   #399
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Someone gotta teach this to Grand Seiko. They make killer watches yet still available no matter how limited the edition.
Please don't GS. There are the few of us who still want to (easily) buy your watches.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 03:55 PM   #400
Hafez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
It seems all the top players are singing the same tune now. Just read the recent interview of W. Schmid of Lange (on SJX). He had to emphasize several times throughout the short interview how Lange is very limited in production and demands are not being met. Somehow everyone is playing “hard to get”. I began to wonder wether there are more female members on the board (a good thing) who exactly know how men think... :-)

This is an epic comment very true females are playing us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 05:28 PM   #401
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Killer watches is subjective, as previous owners of a few GSes, they are beautiful watches with high levels of finishing and detailed dials, but the bracelets need a lot of work, one of the most important parts of a timepiece. The backsides didn't excite me too much either. Probably some of the reasons why they are always available along with the ridiculous prices.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 05:32 PM   #402
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
The “hard to get” sht is getting really old really fast. I don't play that game and it doesn't make me feel any special having a hard to find piece, only the watch itself and if I like it.

I would laugh at AD SA's that would play those dumb tricks many years ago, now they some start their bs spiel without even me asking or talking to them sometimes. "Rolex is so hard to get, blah blah" "We get 2 per year" when I'm not even standing in the Rolex section or even talking to them.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 05:54 PM   #403
tlph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Someone on another site reported that FPJ's entire production run for 2022 is sold. He likely heard that from a boutique. If true, it's very interesting.
sadly that was what i was told by my AD too. They wont take any new orders for this year and likely wont for next year too.
tlph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 06:01 PM   #404
tlph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Remember when the CB was the entry-level Journe?

Remember when the CB got too popular and then the Elegante became the "common-folk" entry-level Journe?

Now no one can start collecting.
I guess I was lucky when I brought my elegante 48mm titanium back in May 2019. was going for a CB, rejected, then got the elegante instead. A few months later the elegante started to request waitinglist and now it was even closed.

Crazy world.
tlph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 06:22 PM   #405
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlph View Post
sadly that was what i was told by my AD too. They wont take any new orders for this year and likely wont for next year too.
I don’t believe that is correct, the Geneva boutique were able to supply several pieces from stock that I was considering when I enquired last month. I didn’t go ahead.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:55 PM   #406
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
My next purchase will definitely be from a small independent like Marco Lang or someone similar.
I just can't get over the multiple logo branding on the dial...ml on top and then Marco Lang on the bottom. Just too much distraction for me personally for such beautiful watches. It's a problem I have with Moritz Grossmann too...can't stand that half ring above the name and the brand name takes up half the dial.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:18 PM   #407
lutchki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Killer watches is subjective, as previous owners of a few GSes, they are beautiful watches with high levels of finishing and detailed dials, but the bracelets need a lot of work, one of the most important parts of a timepiece. The backsides didn't excite me too much either. Probably some of the reasons why they are always available along with the ridiculous prices.

I agree on the bracelet. They are not the greatest. I actually don’t find the prices that ridiculous. And you could also get some new with a discount.
Old 22 April 2021, 10:30 PM   #408
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

IMHO no one has to. It is already happening. Look at the prices of some long sold-out references, like SBGH267 or SSBGY003 or the Peacock. People finally understood the quality of craftsmanship and astonishing dials of GS.

And now - the White Birch (SLGH005) - the demand of this beatiful peace is such high that GS cannot deliver. They even have to postpone market placements of some othe references - like SLGA007 or SBGN019/21/23.

IMO it is just the growing demand’s result (driven, to a large extent, by global craziness of Instagram, Facebook and alike).
bibbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 12:03 AM   #409
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I don’t believe that is correct, the Geneva boutique were able to supply several pieces from stock that I was considering when I enquired last month. I didn’t go ahead.
In the US, if you are an existing client with a good relationship, you will probably get certain pieces within a year or two. But for others, if you can even get allocated a piece, it will certainly take longer. I enquired about a couple different pieces recently, and was told 1 to 2 years.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 12:07 AM   #410
lutchki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
IMHO no one has to. It is already happening. Look at the prices of some long sold-out references, like SBGH267 or SSBGY003 or the Peacock. People finally understood the quality of craftsmanship and astonishing dials of GS.

And now - the White Birch (SLGH005) - the demand of this beatiful peace is such high that GS cannot deliver. They even have to postpone market placements of some othe references - like SLGA007 or SBGN019/21/23.

IMO it is just the growing demand’s result (driven, to a large extent, by global craziness of Instagram, Facebook and alike).

You have a point. Same with the SBGH269.

However look at models like SBGK004 and the likes with crazy dials and finishing, selling for almost half retail preowned. Those are real limited editions. Even though they are more expensive And made of PM, there is no logic.
Old 23 April 2021, 12:21 AM   #411
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Maybe it is a known fact, but I have just learned that FPJ will only be selling through boutiques starting in 2022. ADs have only been informed this week.
bibbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 01:54 AM   #412
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
Maybe it is a known fact, but I have just learned that FPJ will only be selling through boutiques starting in 2022. ADs have only been informed this week.
Yes, there is a thread on this topic already.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 10:58 PM   #413
christianj
Banned

One just sold at Phillips a couple of minutes ago for CHF 75,000.
Old 9 May 2021, 12:09 AM   #414
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post

€ 85k all in

edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:17 AM   #415
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
That’s CHF 94,500 total with buyer’s premium, which today is approximately $105,000 in US dollars.

In the words of Ron Burgundy: “Well that escalated quickly.”
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 03:21 AM   #416
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
Thats crazy I love the CB bought it in 2014 and wear it often but its not worth anything near$105K
Old 9 May 2021, 06:06 AM   #417
christianj
Banned

In general some crazy prices. A Ming sold for nearly CHF 14,000.
Old 9 May 2021, 12:41 PM   #418
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
Thats crazy I love the CB bought it in 2014 and wear it often but its not worth anything near$105K
Does the auction house take 15% from the seller? Rest assured the buyer only nets 64k CHF!
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 05:44 PM   #419
unknown
"TRF" Member

86.000 euro

Well Aurel Bacs clearly said ( if you followed and listened to the auction ) it(s discontinued just like the Patek 5711 ... Something we already knew but something that has influence on the price of course
Old 9 May 2021, 05:45 PM   #420
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
€ 85k all in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
That’s CHF 94,500 total with buyer’s premium, which today is approximately $105,000 in US dollars.

In the words of Ron Burgundy: “Well that escalated quickly.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post

It is definitely more unique, rare and special than a 5711 ... so ... Not sure it's not worth it :-)

And imo more special, better finished and rare than those mediocre quality and overhyped vintage paul Newman Daytona's which are a lot more expensive