The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2019, 08:41 AM   #1
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Rolex Daytona Oysterflex End Link Removal

Do the end links from a Rolex Daytona 116519 just pop out when you remove the Oysterflex strap? It almost looks as if the end links are held against the case separately, and I didn't want to start fiddling with removing the strap if there's something I'm missing. Removal of the strap itself looks fairly straightforward via the pins.

I searched endlessly for the answer online and couldn't find that anyone has actually removed the end links from a 116519 Daytona, or at least discussed it or posted a photo. (The end links can be removed, right?)

I want the option of putting a generic leather strap on the watch. And no, I don't mind the gaps.

Anything anyone knows would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Gold Day-TRF.jpg (292.0 KB, 930 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Daytona strap end link fillers are part of the case, not the bracelet. To remove them the bezel needs to be removed as they are set into machined contours.
Old 3 August 2019, 08:52 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Daytona strap end link fillers are part of the case, not the bracelet. To remove them the bezel needs to be removed as they are set into machined contours.
Wow, thanks for the info. I guess that's why it's never been done. I assumed the end links were somehow fitted onto the Oysterflex strap, or onto the optional Rolex leather strap on older gold Daytona models.

So, without extreme modifications, it seems there would be no way to fit a generic leather strap to the 116519 Daytona without the end links. I'm kinda bummed about that. I guess the rubber stays!
Old 3 August 2019, 09:39 AM   #4
Jamitchbikes
"TRF" Member

Check out RubberB. It ain’t exactly leather but they make something for oysterflex daytona
Jamitchbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 09:44 AM   #5
phrede
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 4000
You can easily fit a normal 20mm straight end strap to the watch! I've seen it done and IMHO looks even better than the OF

-via iPhone
phrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 09:55 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrede View Post
You can easily fit a normal 20mm straight end strap to the watch! I've seen it done and IMHO looks even better than the OF

-via iPhone
Could you post some links? I’ve searched, and I can’t find even one photo that shows a 116519 without the end links.

Thanks.
Old 3 August 2019, 09:57 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamitchbikes View Post
Check out RubberB. It ain’t exactly leather but they make something for oysterflex daytona
Yeah, thanks, but those work only with the end links. I want the option to remove them.
Old 3 August 2019, 10:21 AM   #8
ijpx
"TRF" Member

There’s a thread someone ordered from AD a leather strap, interchangeable.
ijpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 10:41 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijpx View Post
Yes, you can get those for sure, but they work only with the end links on the 116519. As stated above, it seems there’s no easy way to remove the end links, so all strap options must use them, which is disappointing.

Let’s say you had a cool vintage or vintage-style leather strap you wanted to fit, or even a NATO (sacrilege, I know), but it sounds as if that’s not possible on the 116519.
Old 3 August 2019, 11:20 AM   #10
ijpx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Yes, you can get those for sure, but they work only with the end links on the 116519. As stated above, it seems there’s no easy way to remove the end links, so all strap options must use them, which is disappointing.

Let’s say you had a cool vintage or vintage-style leather strap you wanted to fit, or even a NATO (sacrilege, I know), but it sounds as if that’s not possible on the 116519.

If you have some straps laying around, why don’t you give it shot and see how it looks?
Just curious how bad it will look.
ijpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 11:27 AM   #11
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Are the Oysterflex endlinks different from regular PM strap Daytonas? I always thought they were the same...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 264641E6-2DEB-4743-92BF-0D120B040F4E.jpeg (108.4 KB, 822 views)
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 12:18 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you have some straps laying around, why don’t you give it shot and see how it looks?
Just curious how bad it will look.
Yes, it would be relatively easy to fit any 20mm strap to a 116519 Daytona, but only with the end links still attached to the watch. The point is there’s no easy way to remove the end links, so there are very limited options for putting different straps on Rolex OF models.
Old 4 August 2019, 01:42 AM   #13
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post
Are the Oysterflex endlinks different from regular PM strap Daytonas? I always thought they were the same...

I know for sure the end links on the PM oysterflex Daytonas are NOT removable so u can't out after market strap on it without using Rolex endlinks

Someone can confirm the non-oysterflex leather strap PM daytonas but I believe those endlinks can be removed just the oysterflex ones are built in

I think the built in endlinks are stupid and limit your options. Definitely was one negative that stopped me from picking one up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:47 AM   #14
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Yeah, I assume it was my thread. anyhow, from my understanding, removing the end links from the 116519, would involve removing the bezel. The end links are held in with spring bars (simple enough to remove) but then are also sort of sandwiched with on side being the bezel. So A job for a real tech. But the end result would likely leave an undesirable gap.

Here is my 116519 with the OF removed and replaced with an OEM Rolex Gator Strap.

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 03:08 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Yeah, I assume it was my thread. anyhow, from my understanding, removing the end links from the 116519, would involve removing the bezel. The end links are held in with spring bars (simple enough to remove) but then are also sort of sandwiched with on side being the bezel. So A job for a real tech. But the end result would likely leave an undesirable gap.
Many thanks for posting those photos. Where did you source the Rolex Daytona gator strap?

This is the first thread I've seen detailing the issue with the end links on the newer OF Daytonas. The design definitely limits the strap options on the OF models, and it's typical Rolex, which never likes any mods.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind slight gaps on the lugs with leather/gator straps attached. Here's my 6263 on an OEM Rolex leather strap with curved ends that I sourced from Rolex NYC a couple of years ago. (Sold to me because back in the day, leather was an option on SS Daytonas). I realize vintage is a different animal, but the gaps don't bother me at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day1.jpg (290.2 KB, 711 views)
Old 7 August 2019, 07:40 PM   #16
Shaka2015
"TRF" Member

I got my AD to order the leather strap for me (the one that Chadri posted for me) from Rolex. I had a colleague from work who went into RSC and bought one. It should be straight forward. It's a great option for winter.
Shaka2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 11:30 PM   #17
bravetony
"TRF" Member

I bought one of the rubber b that are meant to used with endlinks & have no complaints like you, I don't mind the gap but I think they are actually for your Daytona, here's a picture of mine and from their site. They are pretty awesome and the fact that they are all rubber is a win win for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4843.jpg (93.2 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-08-07 09.23.31 copy.jpg (193.1 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-08-07 09.19.35 copy.jpg (247.9 KB, 596 views)
bravetony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 12:33 AM   #18
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind slight gaps on the lugs with leather/gator straps attached.
I'm with you on this -- I actually prefer a strap without endlinks. To me, the way the endlink visually extends the case makes the case look a bit stubby.

I've seen a Daytona with the endlinks removed, and the gap under the bezel where they mounted is noticeable but not terrible.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 01:35 AM   #19
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetony View Post
I bought one of the rubber b that are meant to used with endlinks & have no complaints like you, I don't mind the gap but I think they are actually for your Daytona, here's a picture of mine and from their site. They are pretty awesome and the fact that they are all rubber is a win win for me.
The photo all the way on the right, is that the so-called "Swimskin" strap? If so, looks very nice, but at $280 I think I'd rather pay some more and get the Rolex gator strap, assuming I can talk my AD into it.
Old 8 August 2019, 01:42 AM   #20
bravetony
"TRF" Member

You can, but remember the rubber b is made out of all rubber and waterproof. Gator won't last like rubber.

From their site:

Strap for Rolex Daytona on Oysterflex Bracelet - SwimSkin® Alligator
Vulcanized Rubber strap engineered to fit Rolex Daytona Oysterflex Bracelet models, and their OEM deployant clasps. Features "SwimSkin®", our exclusively patented technology, created over a five year developmental period, requiring all-new innovative machinery and engineering techniques.

- Although this strap looks and feels identical to alligator hide, it is atually 100% RUBBER, and therefore waterproof for all sports and aquatic activities.

- Made in Switzerland of pure vulcanized rubber. No coatings, blends or bonding.

- Meets FDA and BVGG Specifications: non toxic, non marking, non allergen, does not attract dust.

- USe the Size Guide to determine your perfect fit.

- Watch and Buckle NOT included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The photo all the way on the right, is that the so-called "Swimskin" strap? If so, looks very nice, but at $280 I think I'd rather pay some more and get the Rolex gator strap, assuming I can talk my AD into it.
bravetony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 08:03 AM   #21
snowball
"TRF" Member

Clasp the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetony View Post
Hi all. I am new to Rolex ownership - just bought a new Rolex Daytona 116515LN (the Everose with Chocolate Dial) and an Oysterflex bracelet. I wanted to get the leather black alligator strap but the Rolex dealer advised that while they can sell me the Rolex Black Gator strap it will not fit the new Oysterflex clasp. Chadri you seem to have manged it - is it just that the fit is somewhat imperfect?

Rolex have very kindly offered to sell the a replacement Everose clasp from the old Daytona which will solve the problem but will cost me an additional £5,400.00 - which is not something I want to do.

Am I correct in understanding that the Rubber B strap actually fits the new Oysterflex Clasp and body no issue?

Many thanks and sorry if this has been answered somewhere and I missed it.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 08:06 AM   #22
snowball
"TRF" Member

Sorry still figuring out how to work this forum ... my previous reply was really to you Chadri as you seem to have made this switch to leather
Old 22 November 2019, 08:12 AM   #23
snowball
"TRF" Member

116519 vs 116515

[QUOTE=Chadridv;9867174]Yeah, I assume it was my thread. anyhow, from my understanding, removing the end links from the 116519, would involve removing the bezel. The end links are held in with spring bars (simple enough to remove) but then are also sort of sandwiched with on side being the bezel. So A job for a real tech. But the end result would likely leave an undesirable gap.

Chadri thanks for the post. I imagine that clasps on the 116519 vs 116515 are the same? So I should be able to get the Rolex Gator Strap and just use it anyway?

Many thanks
Old 22 November 2019, 09:14 AM   #24
ma.st.
"TRF" Member

I agree on the gap, I actually prefer it to end links. I know I'm likely in the minority here as well. If the 116519 could have the end links easily removed and have the look of your 6263 or even the 116500 on a leather strap then it would be my favorite modern Daytona and I'd pursue one.
ma.st. is offline   Reply With Quote