The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 April 2021, 02:27 AM   #1
Trustmeimanengineer
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on procuring 16660 with service dial/sels

Finally, a very first TRF post from mine!

I am considering procuring a very first rolex of mine, which is a triple 6 SeaDweller, with box, service luminova dial and service endlinks (as seen in pics). Seller also confirmed service dial and service endlinks, but otherwise "100% original to rolex".
The Vendor is legit (you will know who it is when I actually disclose them) and if I use vendor's Ebay acct., not vendor's website, to buy the watch from them, I got additional discounts due to my Ebay cash and ebay coupon I have saved up (approx. another $1000 off, in addition to amount I haggled off from seller's listing price), with my intention of returning the watch, if the timepiece is not to my liking. vendor also had a great return policy and was transparent about what I can or cannot do, in order to return, if I choose to do so. No additional price delta between wire xfer or paying with cc, so I can pick up my points no problem! Dunno if it is taboo to discuss price (if it is, kindly let me know and i will apologize in advance keep note of that), but from my end, closing cost should be similar, if not slightly less, than paying for new milgauss or new no-date sub @ retail.

My intentions are to wear this watch and enjoy it to fullest, including following:
1. bathing my newborn son in it.
2. everyday casual wear
3. take it swimming and fishing
4. Maybe take it around with me for golf or skiing

However, long term goal is to either hand it down to my son, or if an opportune time for me to purchase a modern GMT master, miraculously in the name of all things holy, let it go with minimal losses from point of entry.

Provided price and sellers are correct, I, given my intended uses, would love your advices, in regards to procuring this watch as my starter Rollie, and would also see if it is worth it to procure a vintage watch with service parts, given price and my intentions. Any other suggestions to consider explorer (1 and 2), milgauss, yachtmaster, airking, OP or DJ will be respectfully declined, as I just do not find them to my or my wife's liking (yes i tried the 6 digit versions of them all).

Since I did pull a trigger, with intention of returning relatively hassle free at buyer's remorse (at least this is what the vendor is known for: being legit, return policy, and slightly high listings), I will also post more pics upon receipt of the watch this week, but for now, will attach only the seller pics I accumulated as a zip file.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 16660.zip (1.27 MB, 13 views)
Trustmeimanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 04:08 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

When you say "procure", you're not suggesting something weird are you? You're just buying it, right?

I got a bit lost in all the financial details and legal fine print. What is the actual question again? Ah yes, should you buy a vintage watch with service parts.

It's purely a matter of personal preference. For me, watches like that are not exciting ... older technology, but not collectible. On the other hand, some people are totally happy with these watches, so if you like it, and it fits your budget, then go for it. In principle, you should be able to use it in water, but only if it passes a pressure test. Likely, but no guarantee.

However, it sounds to me like you really want a modern GMT, so I'd suggest just saving up a bit (or selling some items) and buying a pre-owned one.
Old 20 April 2021, 04:36 AM   #3
Trustmeimanengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
When you say "procure", you're not suggesting something weird are you? You're just buying it, right?

I got a bit lost in all the financial details and legal fine print. What is the actual question again? Ah yes, should you buy a vintage watch with service parts.

It's purely a matter of personal preference. For me, watches like that are not exciting ... older technology, but not collectible. On the other hand, some people are totally happy with these watches, so if you like it, and it fits your budget, then go for it. In principle, you should be able to use it in water, but only if it passes a pressure test. Likely, but no guarantee.

However, it sounds to me like you really want a modern GMT, so I'd suggest just saving up a bit (or selling some items) and buying a pre-owned one.
yup, basically considering buying a vintage seadweller with service dial and sel, provided price is appropriate.

As the 6 digit GMT, i want it, but not at the price they are selling in pre-owned or grey market. no 5 digit for me either, as I tried them on and did not like the way they say on my wrist. At this rate, I am okay with waiting a bit longer for a GMT.

A bit off topic, but do feel free to share how a 6 digit GMT looks on a wrist, compared to 5 digit GMT's. If they feel similar, then likely I will lose interest in them for good.
Old 20 April 2021, 12:53 PM   #4
jhew
"TRF" Member

after reading your post, i think its ok to go ahead with SD.

For 6 digit GMT, you want it but not paying a crazy $$$ price in gray mkt. So go and register yr name in AD. Luck may come to you in couple of months and you may get it at retail price. Or you may need to wait for years with no call for AD. However, pre-owned 6 GMT will continue to climb in coming years. Hopefully you may get a call from AD that sales person has reserved a GMT for you to pick up.

In my opinion, i will go and procure this 16660 with service dial/sels first.
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:32 PM   #5
Trustmeimanengineer
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your opinion. After posting this thread, i also gdid some research in trade-in value for a similar servicd part 16660 and was getting 8 to 8.5k trade in credit, which is around the price ill be paying for this timepiece (sans sales tax). Furthermore, provided service part makes this watch wearable,w/o causing me guilt trips about introducing more wear/tear, i guess its for the better. Alternatively, i did find a full set f serial 16600 listed for 12k, though that is pushing my current budget.

I have an uncle who actually has a relationship with an ad in south korea rolex/patek ad. Maybe he can hook me uo, though rok is not the best place for watch shopping...

Miraculously, i hope ill actually get called in by my dealer lol
Old 20 April 2021, 03:43 PM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Nobody's clicking on a zip file on a public forum. Can you post pics?
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 04:16 PM   #7
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would never buy it with a service dial.
Old 20 April 2021, 05:16 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I don't mind a luminova service dial...I have a 5513 with one and it looks great...but just make sure it has luminova service hands to match.
Old 20 April 2021, 05:35 PM   #9
1665fan
"TRF" Member

If it’s cheap I might... but probably not
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 07:34 PM   #10
pswtn8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I don't mind a luminova service dial...I have a 5513 with one and it looks great...but just make sure it has luminova service hands to match.
I second that - and if you mean to use it as an everyday watch, a luminous service dial (and hands hopefully) makes it even more suitable/functional for that purpose.
pswtn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 12:07 AM   #11
Trustmeimanengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Nobody's clicking on a zip file on a public forum. Can you post pics?
vendor pics here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210419-135909_eBay.jpg (106.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210419-135938_eBay.jpg (129.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210419-135917_eBay.jpg (103.2 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210419-135950_eBay.jpg (89.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210419-140031_eBay.jpg (126.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210419-135947_eBay.jpg (125.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210419-135943_eBay.jpg (126.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 21 April 2021, 11:07 AM   #12
@orariofisso
"TRF" Member

Does the HE escape valve look like its been replaced as well? I dont know enough about SD's to comment on it, but I was looking at 16600 and 166600 as well and there seems to be some variations. Or is it just that its hard to photograph?
@orariofisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 11:13 AM   #13
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
My escape valve is not dark in color and it does not stick out of the case like that.....
swaini3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 02:56 PM   #14
Trustmeimanengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
My escape valve is not dark in color and it does not stick out of the case like that.....
Could you kindly post a pic of your he valve? I googled around and saw the escape valve is more flush and is close to the metal color of the watch...
Old 21 April 2021, 04:02 PM   #15
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trustmeimanengineer View Post
Could you kindly post a pic of your he valve? I googled around and saw the escape valve is more flush and is close to the metal color of the watch...

Old 22 April 2021, 12:49 AM   #16
@orariofisso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
Ok, so I'm not crazy that it looks off. Anyone got an idea as to why it would look like that?
@orariofisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:12 AM   #17
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Already there are too many strikes against putting down money for that watch. And with that weird/confusing escape valve, coupled with the service dial I’d find a watch not only that I’d be proud to wear, but proud to pass down. Spend a little extra and get something with NO issues. I promise you’ll be happier.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 03:15 AM   #18
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
In addition to everything else ... those poor lugs, especially the lower right.

Big pass. Much better options out there for a 16660.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 03:26 AM   #19
Trustmeimanengineer
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

This is very helpful. Though i thought I will be wearing and be keeping the watch, I am actually learning alot atm, especially the mantra of "you get what you pay for".
Old 22 April 2021, 11:24 AM   #20
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Just wait for the right one, if your budget allows, it is worth the wait.
Old 22 April 2021, 12:40 PM   #21
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Hev valve was probably replaced....and case over polished therefore it sticks out....it’s supposed to be a darker color just like on the new sd43....but when they get polished they turn to the same color as the case........nothing good about that watch....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote