The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 April 2021, 05:22 AM   #1
mockingboy
"TRF" Member

FPJ Going Boutique Only

Just heard from my AD - FPJ will no longer sell through ADs in 2022 and will Boutique only.

Crazy how these brands got built up through ADs and then they dump the ADs.
mockingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 05:47 AM   #2
stonejordan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingboy View Post
Just heard from my AD - FPJ will no longer sell through ADs in 2022 and will Boutique only.

If this is true, I think this is a good move by Journe. Having visited multiple boutiques, and a few AD's, without a doubt, the boutique experience is better, and likely not replicable by AD's (especially the Miami boutique, but even LA, and to a lesser extent, NY). I will likely be visiting the boutique this week or next so will see if they have anything on this.
stonejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 06:18 AM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Makes complete sense to me.

ADs offer negligible value to a brand in most cases. My firm does nothing but DTC brands and moving off retail channels that devalue a luxury brand in most cases is a go-to play.

We actually wiped all the US dealers entirely for one brand we acquired. They just ate up margin for no real reason. In this case geo coverage barely matters. If someone can afford an FPJ, chances are that they travel a lot and fill find their way to a boutique.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 07:00 AM   #4
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

I can see why. After a 4 year waitlist with one AD that went nowhere and getting the cold shoulder from another after years of purchase, I like going straight to the brand now. They keep my history, go the extra mile, and brands can work with me on new releases.

Another issue I had with a Patek AD was that after I moved from the city/country even though they knew me, I was not allowed to purchase anything since I was no longer in country. BS! FPJ, as an example, have treated me with open arms everywhere I’ve gone and have open communications with me all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 08:59 AM   #5
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
The AD business model is finished imo. Not enough watches to go around anyway. There are at least 9 FPJ boutiques already? Production cant keep up.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 09:01 AM   #6
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
I can see why. After a 4 year waitlist with one AD that went nowhere and getting the cold shoulder from another after years of purchase, I like going straight to the brand now. They keep my history, go the extra mile, and brands can work with me on new releases.

Another issue I had with a Patek AD was that after I moved from the city/country even though they knew me, I was not allowed to purchase anything since I was no longer in country. BS! FPJ, as an example, have treated me with open arms everywhere I’ve gone and have open communications with me all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is true. I talked with several FPJ boutique managers around the world and they all told me that Journe does not descriminate in terms of location or where your "loyalties" are etc. Unlike Patek they have some type of maximum radius and you need to be "local" whatever that means these days.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 09:06 AM   #7
christianj
Banned

I understand why they might do this but reality is the AD helped get them to the point at which they are now and then they give them the shaft. A lot of people would never have know about FPJ if their local ADs hadn’t represented and to some extent pushed the brand. If I remember correctly there was a long discussion on some ADs even being to blame for the rise in the FPJ prices not long ago.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 10:03 AM   #8
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I understand why they might do this but reality is the AD helped get them to the point at which they are now and then they give them the shaft. A lot of people would never have know about FPJ if their local ADs hadn’t represented and to some extent pushed the brand. If I remember correctly there was a long discussion on some ADs even being to blame for the rise in the FPJ prices not long ago.
Maybe true in 1990 but not anymore. It's business not a charity lol.

If you were running a consumer brand, think about this:

-Dealers leech margin
-Dealers may misrepresent the brand
-Dealers will 100% discount your product and tank brand value
-You lose interaction and control of the customer

Etc...

No real point to a dealer for luxury goods unless they are a hyperspecialized retailer able to offer something unique. They are at capacity anyways btw, so why throw away margin?
Old 21 April 2021, 10:19 AM   #9
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

During down times, ADs (being independent) can help prop up a brand.

If their retail network is 100% in-house, they're disadvantaged during tough times.

I worry that the whole industry is moving towards the latter during good times (other than the first few months of the pandemic, the industry has been booming, obviously). Decisions like this shouldn't be made when things are bubble-levels rosey.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 10:25 AM   #10
christianj
Banned

@Watcheater666...not sure why you felt the need to make your case again....if you reread what I posted, I said I understood why they might make this decision and I realize it’s not a charity but I was merely stating a fact that ADs helped them get where they are and now they are shafting them.
Old 21 April 2021, 10:30 AM   #11
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
@Watcheater666...not sure why you felt the need to make your case again....if you reread what I posted, I said I understood why they might make this decision and I realize it’s not a charity but I was merely stating a fact that ADs helped them get where they are and now they are shafting them.
Basically AD’s help brands channel stuff inventory during slow times. Like Greenlantern mentioned, decisions shouldn’t be made with the assumption that things will always be this good.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 11:10 AM   #12
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
During down times, ADs (being independent) can help prop up a brand.

If their retail network is 100% in-house, they're disadvantaged during tough times.

I worry that the whole industry is moving towards the latter during good times (other than the first few months of the pandemic, the industry has been booming, obviously). Decisions like this shouldn't be made when things are bubble-levels rosey.
This isn't true at all, retailers do not provide any sort of countercyclical benefits, especially in luxury.

BTW, when you sell to larger retailers, it's usually done on net terms and they have no issue defaulting + leaving you without cash. If they BK in a ch11 you can't even get your inventory back if it's been 30+ days etc. Look @ recent BKs by luxury retailers. Completely screwed vendors over.
Old 21 April 2021, 11:51 AM   #13
shafran
"TRF" Member

Actually govberg just built a new journe centered boutique and was told today they are being closed by journe
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 12:01 PM   #14
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
Actually govberg just built a new journe centered boutique and was told today they are being closed by journe
Interesting, as Govberg/WatchBox easily own more FPJ pieces than all of the FPJ boutiques.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 12:05 PM   #15
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow!
Old 21 April 2021, 12:06 PM   #16
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Interesting, as Govberg/WatchBox easily own more FPJ pieces than all of the FPJ boutiques.
Probably the reason why Journe is "hot" considering they practically cornered the pre-owned market over the past 2 years and pushed the brand hard.
Old 21 April 2021, 01:47 PM   #17
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:

Do you know if US only or globally?
Old 21 April 2021, 01:48 PM   #18
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Biting the hand that fed you....
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 07:16 PM   #19
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I wouldn’t doubt it. Currently, there are 29 FPJs listed on watchbox.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
Biting the hand that fed you....
Exactly. It came back to bite them.
Old 21 April 2021, 07:57 PM   #20
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I wouldn’t doubt it. Currently, there are 29 FPJs listed on watchbox.com.

Exactly. It came back to bite them.
And piles more in the safe.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 09:37 PM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A Boutique for a Boutique brand. Makes sense.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 09:59 PM   #22
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
And piles more in the safe.
No doubt. I’ll keep my mouth shut from here on in about this topic. I don’t want to ruffle any feathers.
Old 21 April 2021, 10:25 PM   #23
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Probably the reason why Journe is "hot" considering they practically cornered the pre-owned market over the past 2 years and pushed the brand hard.
That was what I referenced above as well. They were dragged through the mud on the forum for inflating prices of pre-owned pieces and pushing the brand too hard so that it created too much demand and now this news comes out.
Old 21 April 2021, 10:30 PM   #24
77T

Quote:

Brands are not built up by distribution channels - ADs sell many brands and are loyal to their own customers, the buying end-user.

Ask any AD and they’d much rather decide how their floor plan and display cases are built.

FPJ would be mixed in with Cellini, Patek, Cartier, JLC, Glasshute...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 10:33 PM   #25
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Brands are not built up by distribution channels - ADs sell many brands and are loyal to their own customers, the buying end-user.

Ask any AD and they’d much rather decide how their floor plan and display cases are built.

FPJ would be mixed in with Cellini, Patek, Cartier, JLC, Glasshute...

Patek and Rolex dictate the floorpan to AD's
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 10:39 PM   #26
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
This is true BUT have you never been shown a brand at your local AD that you were not aware of or wasn't on your radar? I think we need to remember that most buyers are not on TRF or other watch forum and are not as knowledgeable as most here are. I know for a fact that my local AD showed me the FPJ CB when I went in to look at another piece from another manufacturer. I didn't buy but the CB but instead stuck with my original plan but that is another story.
Old 21 April 2021, 10:44 PM   #27
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Patek and Rolex dictate the floorpan to AD's

Yes that is my point - ADs would prefer making their own decisions on floorplan and display cases.

Old 21 April 2021, 10:53 PM   #28
77T

Quote:
This is true BUT have you never been shown a brand at your local AD that you were not aware of or wasn't on your radar? I think we need to remember that most buyers are not on TRF or other watch forum and are not as knowledgeable as most here are. I know for a fact that my local AD showed me the FPJ CB when I went in to look at another piece from another manufacturer. I didn't buy but the CB but instead stuck with my original plan but that is another story.

I think your experience actually makes my point. Remember that you came in to see a piece from another manufacturer...

How did showing you FPJ help build brand value for the other manufacturer?

You stuck with your plan - your AD was either staying loyal to you or had some other motive.

Old 21 April 2021, 10:57 PM   #29
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Just checked with another (US) FPJ AD. They got the same news yesterday from the brand -- finis.

In the case of FPJ, this doesn't surprise me. His passions are watchmaking, women, and wine (vs. just money). Dealing with a million points of sale, all owned by different people, was probably more of a distraction. It'll be interesting to see if FPJ opens any more boutiques in major US cities as they closing various ADs but production remains relatively low.

On a related note, I bet the Chanel folks are elated that their recent investment in FPJ seems to have paid off thus far, given that they partnered with FPJ right before the brand recently took off.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 11:13 PM   #30
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

This makes sense as almost all Journe pieces now have to be ordered. Due to the demand which has skyrocketed, you won't find much stock, if any, at the boutiques. Journe is trying to make sure they don't sell to flippers, so they are allocating pieces based on your relationship with them. If they sold through ADs, they wouldn't be able to control this.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote