The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2014, 02:54 AM   #1
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Conversion from hoarding all brands to Patek

Some might know me from here or other forum but at the end my landmark its been impulsive buying until now. It might be interesting for some and it might be boring for others but here it is. I always say "Ignorance is a bliss" and it reflects in various situations in life but in watches is even more evident.
I went crazy and bought as many iconic watches from different as I could, but soon enough I discovered a few of things:
1) The week has 7 days, and to truly enjoy your watches is better to have 3-4 watches that you truly love than 20 watches (sorry 19). Because of those many watches you will wear your favorites little or you end up not wearing a lot of them.
2) As much as I want them to be all keepers, I flip them and when you flip you loose $$$$$. Isn't better to enjoy them and loose as little as possible ? hell yeah!! whats the Formula : Patek and Rolex. Yes that's the prescription my doc gave me Of course we are allow to deviate a little bit from that prescription: AP and Lange would be the other 2 brands that I would advise that we could.

3) You can be more careless of what you buy on watches under 25k, and think twice in watches above 25k. That's more like a personal rule , because we don't all have the same budget.

4) I should of buy a Datograph when I could

I had so many watches so many brands, from Low end like :Laco, Ball, Tags, Bremont, Omegas, to Middle JLC, Rolex, Pan, Breitling to HIGH end like Lange Pateks, AP, UN. But instead of boring you with all my flips, I will mention 4 stages on this 2 years :

1) 19 watches stage
2) 10 watches stage
3) went back up to 13 watches
4) 3 watches stage (current)

1)19 watches Stage: This is where I tried to have as many iconic as possible.

19photo.jpg

Image 7.jpg

2) 10 watches stage: I went for less but better pieces.

Collection.JPG

3) Went back up to 13 watches: I added the Lange TimeZone, Black Toro UN and the VC Chrono Overseas

13.jpg

4) 3 Watches Stage :Finally I came to the realization that I don't need that many:

3photo.jpg

I will add more pics....and remember Less is better

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 03:02 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Breguet mbd.jpg

VCOS.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

Toro.JPG

tz.JPG

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 03:07 AM   #3
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Great collection and I agree with you 100%

In my early collecting days I had 10 -20 lesser brand watches at a time but I found myself only wearing 5 or so on a regular basis. Over the past 3 years I’ve trimmed down the collection to just Rolex and APs (5 watches currently). Thinking about trading off an AP and getting a couple Pateks. 2 Rolex, 2 APs and 2 Pateks, one SS and one precious metal each. Would make for a well-rounded collection and all would get wrist time.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 03:07 AM   #4
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.jpg

I have more but I think you get the point

Patek all the way !!!

well except for the Datogrpah !!

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 03:23 AM   #5
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

This is a good one

image.jpg

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 03:32 AM   #6
shnxx
"TRF" Member

No AP Jorge?
Old 21 August 2014, 03:38 AM   #7
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnxx View Post
No AP Jorge?
Still in the air, actually I have thread in the AP forum : 15703st vs 5167A
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=367744

Trying .....

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 03:39 AM   #8
FlatlineEF9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Thanks for sharing. Right now I think you have a PERFECT collection. That 5712R is stunning and will probably be my next patek purchase (in many years from now).

You have all of your watch bases covered in 3 watches...that's hard to do.
Old 21 August 2014, 03:40 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Fantastic thread, many thanks for it! I agree that it's good to experiment and then consolidate it down to 3 or 4 pieces that you truly love. I have owned Omega, Breitling, UN and Zenith, but I think I will end up with 2 Rolexes, 1 AP and 1 PP, hopefully all in gold.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 03:40 AM   #10
FlyinM3
"TRF" Member

Oh boy,,,,this thread is no good
Totally understand where you're coming from though
FlyinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 03:49 AM   #11
martinr
"TRF" Member

Jorge, I agree, less is better, but I need five. I just moved two icons but I wasn't really wearing them, only when I felt guilty for not wearing them. So, bye bye 5711 and 15202.
Now, it's a 5980 1A and a 5712 1A Nautilus and a 5164A and 5167R Aquanaut. Throw in the 116610LV and I've got everything I need. Like you I want a Datograph but the price!
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 03:59 AM   #12
nick c
Banned

Well said I agree
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 03:59 AM   #13
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Interesting, Jorge. I currently have 4 and they get a lot of wrist time. I think my sweet spot is 6 pieces. Are you planning on adding any other pieces? Love the 5712r BTW.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 04:02 AM   #14
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I recently went through the process of scaling back myself. Although at times I do miss those that are no longer in the stable, I am much happier overall since these all get regular wrist time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408557734.131982.jpg
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 04:04 AM   #15
texex91
"TRF" Member

I'm down to three brands only: Patek, AP and one Rolex (SS beater) in collection.

Will buy AP and Patek exclusively moving forward (and probably more Patek than AP).

But yes, one can easily have 3-4 nice pieces and enjoy things to the fullest (and exactly where I'm heading).

Collection changes once I get bored and do not wear a piece anymore.

It is funny over the years how I've migrated from Rolex to AP to Patek...VERY slippery slope
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 04:54 AM   #16
Touring
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Agree with your new philosophy.

Collection is down to 6 pieces, though only one PP in the collection (speaking of which I should probably update my incoming thread with pics!). Felt the same guilt as martinr when not wearing the others sitting in the safe, so I downsized.

Now I must say, the itch to acquire a new piece has been quelled significantly and I browse the classifieds mainly out of habit.
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 05:39 AM   #17
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Three watches is good. I find too many to be overwhelming. And you can't rotate them all and really appreciate them unless you want to wear one watch a day for the whole month.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 05:39 AM   #18
DK3
"TRF" Member

I have also been there. I have no interest in other brands other than Patek. I remember one day I decided to consolidate all my watches into patek. I have never looked back with regret. Overtime I did realize that I need at least a watch that I could use more aggressively like a rolex but I did not want it to be flashy so I purchased a platinum daytona.

To me all of the other watch brands are nice but not for me. I love the value, beauty, tradition, and security of a Patek and I also think every watch lover should have at least one good rolex for the amazing durability in land and water it can offer.
DK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 05:41 AM   #19
2muchtimeonmyhands
"TRF" Member

I am totally on board with the 3 watch theory, trying to work out my ideal 3 seems to occupy a lot of my waking hours
Jorge - It seems that you were an advocate of steel pieces when you had more then switched to gold when you consolidated. I am just curious as to what caused that shift as it is quite a big aesthetic difference? Well I should say in the case of the Pateks, what made you go for rose over white gold?
2muchtimeonmyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 05:53 AM   #20
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Never thought of omega as being low end, nor jlc being in the midle and on par with breitling, but glad you've found what you're looking for. Awesome collection, past and present.
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 05:53 AM   #21
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlineEF9 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Right now I think you have a PERFECT collection. That 5712R is stunning and will probably be my next patek purchase (in many years from now).

You have all of your watch bases covered in 3 watches...that's hard to do.
Thanks, that 5712R can really stand by itself. Sport but Classy rose gold, moon phase which I think is Patek staple, it evens comes with rubbery strap for water activities, well is my favorite watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Fantastic thread, many thanks for it! I agree that it's good to experiment and then consolidate it down to 3 or 4 pieces that you truly love. I have owned Omega, Breitling, UN and Zenith, but I think I will end up with 2 Rolexes, 1 AP and 1 PP, hopefully all in gold.
You are welcome, to me 4 is tops, 5 you are still hoarding
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinM3 View Post
Oh boy,,,,this thread is no good
Totally understand where you're coming from though

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Jorge, I agree, less is better, but I need five. I just moved two icons but I wasn't really wearing them, only when I felt guilty for not wearing them. So, bye bye 5711 and 15202.
Now, it's a 5980 1A and a 5712 1A Nautilus and a 5164A and 5167R Aquanaut. Throw in the 116610LV and I've got everything I need. Like you I want a Datograph but the price!
Everybody is different, but I truly believe that with 5 you are starting to hurdle. I am not advising you sell one more, instead I am inviting you wear them all and over time you will know which one is the extra one.
Apply the rule of elimination. let me explain that rule.
I have it down for 3-4 watches: A) 1 dressy/kind of dressy or complicated, B) 1 sport/casual , C) 1 beater, D) 1 wild card. I added the wild card one in case you must have the 4th one (that actually don't need)
So every time the itch or temptation comes for any watch you ask yourself these questions:
1) Do I like this watch better than my choice A for the complicated/kind of dressy choice?
2) Do I like this watch better than my choice B for the Sport/casual ?
3) Do I like this watch better than my Choice C for a beater.
Don't need question for 4th after all that is the extra one, just for the mind stop fiddling.
If the answer is no to all of those questions then you really don't need it.
And yes I love the Dato , you could end up with: 1 Nautilus, 1 Aquanaut, the Dato and the Sub...... Perfect ! I am just saying.......
Kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Well said I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Interesting, Jorge. I currently have 4 and they get a lot of wrist time. I think my sweet spot is 6 pieces. Are you planning on adding any other pieces? Love the 5712r BTW.
Thanks mate, Well My stop is 4 so I either stay at 3 or I might add an Aquanaut at the end of the year. will see.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
I recently went through the process of scaling back myself. Although at times I do miss those that are no longer in the stable, I am much happier overall since these all get regular wrist time.

Attachment 525608
Yes i know what you mean , I had the 5960P that you have that was my last flip .
Love your Aquanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I'm down to three brands only: Patek, AP and one Rolex (SS beater) in collection.

Will buy AP and Patek exclusively moving forward (and probably more Patek than AP).

But yes, one can easily have 3-4 nice pieces and enjoy things to the fullest (and exactly where I'm heading).

Collection changes once I get bored and do not wear a piece anymore.

It is funny over the years how I've migrated from Rolex to AP to Patek...VERY slippery slope
So true mate, well I think that flipping is aloud, all I am saying keep them down to 3 or 4.

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 06:16 AM   #22
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
Agree with your new philosophy.

Collection is down to 6 pieces, though only one PP in the collection (speaking of which I should probably update my incoming thread with pics!). Felt the same guilt as martinr when not wearing the others sitting in the safe, so I downsized.

Now I must say, the itch to acquire a new piece has been quelled significantly and I browse the classifieds mainly out of habit.
Is the WIS road, a lot of fun, some bad and some good decisions but we learn and move on
Quote:
Originally Posted by autohorology View Post
Three watches is good. I find too many to be overwhelming. And you can't rotate them all and really appreciate them unless you want to wear one watch a day for the whole month.
Absolutely right, after all the week just have 7 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK3 View Post
I have also been there. I have no interest in other brands other than Patek. I remember one day I decided to consolidate all my watches into patek. I have never looked back with regret. Overtime I did realize that I need at least a watch that I could use more aggressively like a rolex but I did not want it to be flashy so I purchased a platinum daytona.

To me all of the other watch brands are nice but not for me. I love the value, beauty, tradition, and security of a Patek and I also think every watch lover should have at least one good rolex for the amazing durability in land and water it can offer.
Yes, I would say is a smart move. Sooner or later we find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtimeonmyhands View Post
I am totally on board with the 3 watch theory, trying to work out my ideal 3 seems to occupy a lot of my waking hours
Jorge - It seems that you were an advocate of steel pieces when you had more then switched to gold when you consolidated. I am just curious as to what caused that shift as it is quite a big aesthetic difference? Well I should say in the case of the Pateks, what made you go for rose over white gold?
Well when I started collecting my 1st Patek was the 5712/1a (ss), at the time I thought that was an horrendous amount of money so I never even consider the rose gold alternative. Well still is a lot of money, but you know what I mean, what was expensive then is not so much now kind of thing. But I could of ended with a SS Nautilus, but that 5712R is special. A couple of reasons : I loved the dial of the 5712/1A so much and I also like the thinness but the downside is that the lack of weight makes the watch to move around more in the wrist for one. So the Strap keep it from doing that, so for a daily wear is better for me that way. 2nd and most important the looks " Is a Stunner". WG or RG, I think is preference, some people like to be more subtle, Me I like the WOW more than the under the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
Never thought of omega as being low end, nor jlc being in the midle and on par with breitling, but glad you've found what you're looking for. Awesome collection, past and present.
More than low end I meant it more in the sense of my starting watches, so is just relative. The same goes for the JLC, I acquire those in the middle of my road. I don't like to classify brands but for the proposes of describing where they stand with the other watches is ok. Thanks mate

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 06:37 AM   #23
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

More pics

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 06:41 AM   #24
autohorology
"TRF" Member

That IWC is gorgeous.

autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 08:29 AM   #25
Viv Savage
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, JLC
A great post.
Old 21 August 2014, 08:44 AM   #26
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Great post Jorge.... I seem to have started to become a bit of hoarder with 12 time pieces at the moment.... Hope it doesnt' keep growing at this point.

Great 3 you've kept.
Old 21 August 2014, 09:10 AM   #27
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Awesome 3 Jorge! Been following your evolution here and elsewhere, very interesting and informative, going through a bit of introspection with regard to number of watches, not so much brand choices so this is very instructive. And your pics don't hurt the eyes so it's all good!!
Old 21 August 2014, 09:16 AM   #28
iim7v7im7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Less each year...
It's not about hoarding...

It's about the the hunt Jorge and how it makes you feel. I still see more in your future.

:-)
Old 21 August 2014, 09:22 AM   #29
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
It's about the the hunt Jorge and how it makes you feel. I still see more in your future.

:-)

The hunt is fine. I am just saying keep your stable at all times with 3-4 watches.

Cheers !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 09:25 AM   #30
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohorology View Post
That IWC is gorgeous.