The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 December 2019, 12:26 PM   #1
curare78
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
No box and no papers..... Please help

Hello,

Saw a recent video from CRM watches. Stated in the video that if a watch does not have box and papers, it’s still ok to purchase. As the box can be bought on eBay and can get copy of offficsl papers from AD once watch registered for about $3-400.

Does anyone have any experience with this.

Thank you
curare78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 12:35 PM   #2
levelero
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curare78 View Post
Hello,

Saw a recent video from CRM watches. Stated in the video that if a watch does not have box and papers, it’s still ok to purchase. As the box can be bought on eBay and can get copy of offficsl papers from AD once watch registered for about $3-400.

Thank you

Box in ebay - right, usually you can find.

Papers - something is ‘original documents’ and something another is ‘a certificate of authenticity’, what is what you could get but it’s not the same.

But of course, in the correct price and from well-known seller, it’s ok to buy watches with no B&P,

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
levelero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 01:12 PM   #3
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you
The only way your getting papers from Rolex is with a service. You will receive service papers. Watch is fairly general, I’m sure other brands have their way of handling things like this.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 01:39 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
AP buyers are somewhat more finicky than rolex. I wouldn't touch an incomplete AP with a 10 foot pole. But resale is important to me as I move things around. The good news is that is fairly easy to tell a modern AP real from garbage as opposed to rolex so you have that advantage.
Old 26 December 2019, 01:58 PM   #5
curare78
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys
Old 26 December 2019, 06:16 PM   #6
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I saw that video and at the time I thought that it struck me as a bit disingenuous and that Eric must have a bunch of watches to sell that didn’t have b&P. How someone can spend a significant amount of money on a watch and then lose the box etc is something that I think sounds a bit odd and rather suspicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 10:30 PM   #7
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I saw that video and at the time I thought that it struck me as a bit disingenuous and that Eric must have a bunch of watches to sell that didn’t have b&P. How someone can spend a significant amount of money on a watch and then lose the box etc is something that I think sounds a bit odd and rather suspicious.

Not odd or suspicious and happens all the time. There are a lot of original watch purchaser’s that are not WIS or understand the value of keeping all the original packaging or certificates.

And even more where unfortunate circumstances cause them to be lost. An ex spouse throws out their former significant others belongings, theft, fire or other physical damage, etc.

You don’t wear the box so depending on the circumstance (proven authentic, trusted seller) and priced accordingly, wouldn’t prevent me from purchasing the watch.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 02:42 AM   #8
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
Not odd or suspicious and happens all the time. There are a lot of original watch purchaser’s that are not WIS or understand the value of keeping all the original packaging or certificates.

And even more where unfortunate circumstances cause them to be lost. An ex spouse throws out their former significant others belongings, theft, fire or other physical damage, etc.

You don’t wear the box so depending on the circumstance (proven authentic, trusted seller) and priced accordingly, wouldn’t prevent me from purchasing the watch.
Both of these are technically right, as I understand it a lot of Eric's inventory is procured due to the fact that people traveling to Miami come across a piece that they're interested and trade it in against whatever it is they want to purchase.

As far as the latter comment, many of these individuals do understand the value of keeping all of the original packaging or certificates, however, their motivation is solely the desire to have the piece immediately.

Part of the benefit for CRM is predicated upon the fact that they significantly low ball the value of the piece considering it doesn't come as a full set. The idea that they're advocating for the reduced significance of box and papers is a bit disingenuous, especially for modern pieces that have been procured recently. The idea that it doesn't increase value or isn't important is preposterous as any dealer will automatically state that this is deleterious to the trade-in and retail values.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:28 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For a Haute piece I would be very hesitant without a full set and the price would have to really reflect that, as future buyers and greys esp will penalise you for the missing parts.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:42 AM   #10
Gravity
"TRF" Member

There is a reason people in the business have the terms "full set" and "naked" referring to what the watch comes with. A "naked" piece will always have a discount compared to a "full set" and sometimes that discount is pretty significant. If you go on CH24 and sort any model and sort from lowest price, almost all of them at the lowest price are "naked".
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:00 AM   #11
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I buy the seller and it doesn't bother me when I buy a piece with no box or papers. I can buy a box if I want one and you get a warranty service card when you send the watch in to Rolex.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:46 AM   #12
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csfischer20 View Post
I buy the seller and it doesn't bother me when I buy a piece with no box or papers. I can buy a box if I want one and you get a warranty service card when you send the watch in to Rolex.
Agree, some people just want the piece and like the discount that can be had for a naked piece. There are some ways to reduce the depreciation as mentioned, with warranty papers from rolex or archive extract papers from AP ect, they definitely help. I never put much weight on boxes myself, especially with rolex as they can be had easily. Others can be a but more difficult especially with limited editions like my AP survivor I just bought that comes with a pretty out of this world box and accessories. All comes down to personal preferences.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 09:39 AM   #13
curare78
"TRF" Member

This really helps. Thanks guys
Old 28 December 2019, 02:19 PM   #14
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
Quote:

Not uncommon. I have a friend who has 30 plus watches and stores all his boxes and papers but after a while loses track of the papers (especially after a service)...its quite common and he never sells.

I found out cos I recently convinced him to sell his watches he doesn’t wear (ones no one in his family wore in past 4 years) and he couldn’t find half the papers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 06:22 PM   #15
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumnyc View Post
Not uncommon. I have a friend who has 30 plus watches and stores all his boxes and papers but after a while loses track of the papers (especially after a service)...its quite common and he never sells.

I found out cos I recently convinced him to sell his watches he doesn’t wear (ones no one in his family wore in past 4 years) and he couldn’t find half the papers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have had the same experience with a friend who has purchased over 100 high end watches over the last 10 years. He regularly sells pieces he doesn't wear and about 50% of the time cannot locate the correct paperwork. He just doesn't get the concept of original documents and doesn't care about the price difference when he sells. I've helped him move some of his watches and it drives me nuts.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 06:28 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you
If I were considering buying an A/P that is less than 15 years old I would not buy one without full identifying paperwork. The price differential is constantly widening out as more people become aware of the importance of documentation.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:49 PM   #17
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Full set or nothing, your buying an AP and spending a fortune, why take a risk to get it slightly cheaper? How do you know it's not stolen? If your nickel and diming at this price point you really shouldn't be getting an AP. The delta in dollars to get a full set shouldn't be much higher.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 10:44 PM   #18
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I would not buy unless full original set, among other considerations to avoid the risk of ending up with a potentially stolen piece (which the seller might be unaware of).
Old 28 December 2019, 10:45 PM   #19
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Double post.
Old 29 December 2019, 03:20 AM   #20
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
How do you know it's not stolen?
You can give AP the serial number and they will tell you if it's been reported as stolen.
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote