The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 October 2019, 12:28 AM   #1
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster professional sapphire.

Hey guys. I currently own a Rolex 116613lb. I have really taken a liking to the omega speedmaster professional. I like the idea of the sapphire version. Since I would be buying pre owned I would most likely opt for sapphire since the prices aren’t that far apart from eachother.

That being said, does anybody have photos of their speedmaster pros in outdoor light? I love the angles of the case but all the photos online look so dull. I have yet to see one in person so until I can get to a dealer I would love to see some of your photos! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 12:46 AM   #2
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I would try to steer you to the hesalite. I love that it’s true to the heritage, it bends the natural light like only plexiglass can, and can easily be buffed out if anything happens to it.

Here are some shots of mine in natural light.

JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 01:04 AM   #3
jed11
"TRF" Member

X2 on the hesalite...I’m partial of course but aside from the “purist” angle of going with the hesalite, I just like the way it looks. I’m pretty sure I’ve come across several threads discussing this topic too as I was in the same boat at one point.

jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 01:18 AM   #4
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

What do you guys think holds value better? Or rather which does the majority prefer? Honestly I know how I am. If I could afford it, I would have many watches. But I sometimes get bored with stuff and will want to sell it to try new watches.
Old 5 October 2019, 01:38 AM   #5
JayHantz

Before people throw spears and skin you for the value question - I understand how that can play a part with some watches and collections. But for me, I think that a Speedmaster is a keep forever watch. A lot of guys with amazing collections of Pateks, Audemars, and Rolex seem to have a Speedmaster in their collection because it just works.

You can take the Speedy and throw it on the bracelet. Take it off and put on an aftermarket leather strap for a classic vintage look, or string a NATO through the spring bars and have a pop of color and character. This watch does it all and it is hard to get tired of it.

In any collection, do not worry what the majority prefers, worry about what you like. I could put ten different watches and get more than ten different responses on what people like (since many add their own models to the ten). I really think that YOU will like the Speedmaster and you'll find it to be a staple in your collection.
Old 5 October 2019, 01:46 AM   #6
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Just make sure you see both in person next to each other.

I liked the idea of sapphire as well. Until I saw them in person.
Old 5 October 2019, 02:10 AM   #7
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
Before people throw spears and skin you for the value question - I understand how that can play a part with some watches and collections. But for me, I think that a Speedmaster is a keep forever watch. A lot of guys with amazing collections of Pateks, Audemars, and Rolex seem to have a Speedmaster in their collection because it just works.

You can take the Speedy and throw it on the bracelet. Take it off and put on an aftermarket leather strap for a classic vintage look, or string a NATO through the spring bars and have a pop of color and character. This watch does it all and it is hard to get tired of it.

In any collection, do not worry what the majority prefers, worry about what you like. I could put ten different watches and get more than ten different responses on what people like (since many add their own models to the ten). I really think that YOU will like the Speedmaster and you'll find it to be a staple in your collection.

Thank you. This is definitely solid advice. My friends tell me this all the time. I’m sure most people on this forum will not like my value question but I don’t care. The reality of it is, I know how I am. And when I get bored, I like selling and buying new things. Whether or not someone agrees or disagrees with me will not change that. Ever since a young age I bought motorcycles, rode them and sold them. Buying and selling is instilled in me. I personally think I enjoy the “wanting” and “researching” more than actually “owning”. Call me crazy but that’s how I am. Thats why I’m curious about value because unlike motorcycles, I can’t buy and sell watches for a profit. It’s more like, try to buy for the best possible price so if I have to sell it I won’t lose much.

Old 5 October 2019, 02:12 AM   #8
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

I plan on going to Jared his evening to hopefully handle both watches side by side. May I ask what changed your mind once you saw them together? I know the sapphire face creates a white ring around the face but that’s about it.

Old 5 October 2019, 02:16 AM   #9
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider View Post
I plan on going to Jared his evening to hopefully handle both watches side by side. May I ask what changed your mind once you saw them together? I know the sapphire face creates a white ring around the face but that’s about it.

For me it was three things:

1. The white ring around the sapphire version.
2. The shape of the crystal itself. The domed hesalite just looks so much more appealing to me. The sapphire version looks more blocked shaped because of the raised edges.
3. Hesalite is warmer in color tone and look. The sapphire version looks much more sterile and cold next to hesalite.

I wouldn't mind a see through caseback, but I wouldn't take the sapphire version to get it.
Old 5 October 2019, 02:18 AM   #10
BigJaJa
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Same here.

I was so up for the sapphire version, I'm hard on my watches so didn't want scratches plus I wanted an exhibition caseback.

The thing is when I saw it in person, well the hesalite just worked better.

Now I think this watch is made for hesalite, it's the way the glass needs to dome, sapphire just can't do it very well, hesalite can. It's so beautiful - like a jewel.

Plus of course if you ever go into space the hesalite one is a lot safer!
BigJaJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 03:10 AM   #11
Maxtor

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Go for the sandwich. Hesalite on top and sapphire caseback.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 03:42 AM   #12
h20addict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I faced the same dilemma a few years ago, and after handling both I still ended up with the Sapphire Sandwich. The crystal has taken an accidental direct hit from a steel door frame with not even a mark on the glass. I can't say hesalite would have survived the same.
h20addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 12:08 PM   #13
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

I’m going to take a look at both tomorrow. And I’ll let you guys know my thoughts. Than from there I will start the pre owned hunt.

Old 5 October 2019, 12:37 PM   #14
JayHantz

Quote:
I’m going to take a look at both tomorrow. And I’ll let you guys know my thoughts. Than from there I will start the pre owned hunt.

Good luck! Interested to see what you go after upon seeing both in the flesh!
Old 5 October 2019, 01:22 PM   #15
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Another vote for the Hesalite version. It gives off a warm hue that only plexi can...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 08:14 PM   #16
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:

This is a good point. I think after handling both in person you'll know which you prefer.

There is one thing you may not be able to see this way, though, and that is the way bright sunlight plays on the dial through the Hesalite crystal. It creates risk of traffic accidents when it happens in the car
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 10:00 PM   #17
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am going to buck the trend and tell you to go with the sapphire over the plastic crystal. Call it hesalite or anything else you want, it is plastic. I have owned both and been in the collecting and flipping game for almost thirty years and don't like plastic crystals on any watch for the most part. I have been down the road where you polish marks out on the crystal and I don't like it. As far as the look of a plastic crystal in the sunlight I don't like the distortion or as some call it, warmth. I also prefer the automatic movement that you get with the sapphire model and the exhibition case back. In the pre-owned market, with all things being equal, the prices are very close. I currently own a Speed Master Professional in 44.25 and for my bigger wrist it works much better for me. In the end, buy what you like and enjoy. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 06:30 AM   #18
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
... I like selling and buying new things.... I personally think I enjoy the “wanting” and “researching” more than actually “owning”. Call me crazy but that’s how I am.
Join the club, brother. Lots of us out there. For me it used to be cars and bikes both (mostly BMW for the latter) but I stopped riding a few years ago. And moved to watches, LOL.

My vote is the sapphire. I love the clear view that you get with Omega since they put a non-reflective coating on both sides, plus the resistance to damage.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 03:00 PM   #19
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Hey guys. I checked out both watches side by side today. I honestly like them both. I see what people mean by the hesalite having a “warm” look to it. I actually prefer how it looks straight on. The dome look suits the watch very well. That being said, the sapphire is much more clear. It does not distort on different viewing angles. Though I admit, the hesalite is kind of cool how it distorts and becomes blurry when looked at on an angle.

All that being said, I think I am leaning slightly more towards the sapphire. I like the idea of the harder material as well as the clear case back. Being able to see the movement is awesome. Granted it won’t be seen while wearing, but it’s definitely something to admire.

Does anybody know if the new watches are bought water resistant? I read some different things that the sapphire is but the hesalite isn’t. Than some places say that the newer models are all water resistant. I won’t be diving or going in a pool with it but I am curious for when I wash my hands, or try to clean my watch under water.

Another question. Is the band on these watches hollow? Idk if i was just used to the weight on my 2 tone submariner but the band did feel very light. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Old 6 October 2019, 09:50 PM   #20
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

...I won’t be diving or going in a pool with it but I am curious for when I wash my hands, or try to clean my watch under water.
The water resistance rating for the Speedmaster Pro is posted on Omega's web site, and both variants are the same: 5 bar/50 meters. The question of whether it's okay to dunk a Speedmaster Pro under water has been argued on internet fora ad nauseam (I don't recommend you spend time reading it all), and the short answer is most (but not all) agree that it's best to avoid submerging a Speedmaster Pro. I cleaned my Speedmaster Pro with soap and water once, but my rule with my watch is to avoid water.

BTW, there are a couple of TRF Trusted Sellers who can supply a brand-new Speedmaster Pro (with validated warranty card) at prices ~25% below MSRP. Watch Exchange Company is a good example. If you want one that's new and unworn, then this is as competitive as the pricing gets, and depending on which state the seller and you are located in, you probably will save the sales tax, too.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 6 October 2019, 10:54 PM   #21
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Having both the 116613LB and the Speedy, here’s a side-by-side look. (Albeit it’s the Speedy Tuesday ST-1 LE, but you get the idea.) You can see how the light refracts and bends. Hands down, no question, the Hesalite is the way to go. It is the epitome of what the moon watch represents, especially if you want it to pay homage to the original. I wear the Speedy on a regular basis and it has a load of scratches on the “crystal”, but you can’t even see it in the pictures. I would almost guarantee you’ll kick yourself later for not going with it, and, I have and have had watches with a clear case back. Is it cool? ...yeah I guess, but it’s always facing my wrist and never look at it. What I can tell you is if you are cognizant of, or worry about keeping “perfect” time, this watch is not for you. It is not COSC or METAS certified. I see variations from +8/-11 on a regular basis and will change frequently up/down for no reason. But it is my favorite, and I absolutely love it! Just my 2-cents my friend. Good Luck!
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV

Last edited by mdx77; 6 October 2019 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 11:06 PM   #22
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
The water resistance rating for the Speedmaster Pro is posted on Omega's web site, and both variants are the same: 5 bar/50 meters. The question of whether it's okay to dunk a Speedmaster Pro under water has been argued on internet fora ad nauseam (I don't recommend you spend time reading it all), and the short answer is most (but not all) agree that it's best to avoid submerging a Speedmaster Pro. I cleaned my Speedmaster Pro with soap and water once, but my rule with my watch is to avoid water.

BTW, there are a couple of TRF Trusted Sellers who can supply a brand-new Speedmaster Pro (with validated warranty card) at prices ~25% below MSRP. Watch Exchange Company is a good example. If you want one that's new and unworn, then this is as competitive as the pricing gets, and depending on which state the seller and you are located in, you probably will save the sales tax, too.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the info. If omega rates it at a 50m water resistance, why are some scared to clean it with water? I clean my bluesy once a week with veraet cleaner and water. For some reason that watch attracts so many spots on the face when I wear it. More than any other watch I’ve had. So keeping my watches clean is a must. I can’t imagine wearing a watch for months and not cleaning it. What do you guys do to keep your speedies clean? Just wipe it with a cloth?

Old 6 October 2019, 11:36 PM   #23
mdx77
"TRF" Member

I don’t take my speedy swimming. Collecting and wearing luxury watches 20+ years I’ve followed this rule...unless it has a screw down crown, I don’t submerge it (pool/ocean). Washing it in water (sink) with soap a soft (tooth)brush is fine.
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 11:52 AM   #24
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Chiming in for the sapphire sandwich. Saw both, picked the sapphire. The clarity of the crystal and the beautifully finished movement just wins the deal for me.

horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 07:41 PM   #25
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...What do you guys do to keep your speedies clean? Just wipe it with a cloth?

Yep, I just clean mine with a damp cloth. As others note, I doubt there is much risk brushing and rinsing under the tap, but I wouldn't leave it sitting in a bowl of soapy solution.
Old 8 October 2019, 05:03 AM   #26
BigJaJa
"TRF" Member

For those opting for Sapphire does the milky band going around the crystal bother you at all?

It was a big factor (though not only) for me when I saw it in person. I have other watches with sapphire crystal and no milky band so I guess it is to do with shape of speedmaster. It just felt to me that this watch (shape / design) was meant for hesalite!

I totally respect those who prefer Sapphire as it was my choice until I saw in person (and I would have liked a clear caseback). I thought the milky band would have bugged me though...
BigJaJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 05:28 AM   #27
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I just stopped by the OB at lunch and checked out the sapphire sandwich. The alleged "milky band" did not bother me - I did not notice it at all. The movement is gorgeous, but unfortunately when I wear the watch, I can't actually see it.

As much as I want to love it, I haven't yet fallen for the speedy. Not sure why.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 07:39 AM   #28
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I went for the hesalite & couldn’t be happier with it , if it gets scratches then Polywatch will usually remove them . But I would say just buy the one that appeals most to you
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3627BCBF-32D5-4C03-8F2A-861BC8D55CB5.jpeg (261.8 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpeg DB4AD716-299E-4C7A-8EC9-95606FF21174.jpeg (141.6 KB, 343 views)
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 08:38 AM   #29
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .

Does anybody know if the new watches are bought water resistant? I read some different things that the sapphire is but the hesalite isn’t. Than some places say that the newer models are all water resistant. I won’t be diving or going in a pool with it but I am curious for when I wash my hands, or try to clean my watch under water.

Another question. Is the band on these watches hollow? Idk if i was just used to the weight on my 2 tone submariner but the band did feel very light. Thanks in advance for the responses.
The Speedy Pro is water resistance to 50 meters. That is suitable for swimming if you so choose, snorkeling or diving may be a stretch, although I have snorkeled off Hawaii with one.

The bracelet links are capped with solid inners (multi-pieces), but extremely robust.

I've had both and prefer sapphire, I got extremely tired of chasing crystal scratches. . I currently have a sapphire 45th Anniversary model but do not like all of the limited edition space offerings every year.

Omega Water Resistance.jpg
Old 8 October 2019, 11:02 AM   #30
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The Speedy Pro is water resistance to 50 meters. That is suitable for swimming if you so choose, snorkeling or diving may be a stretch, although I have snorkeled off Hawaii with one.

The bracelet links are capped with solid inners (multi-pieces), but extremely robust.

I've had both and prefer sapphire, I got extremely tired of chasing crystal scratches. . I currently have a sapphire 45th Anniversary model but do not like all of the limited edition space offerings every year.

Attachment 1076350

Thanks for the response. Sorry if I sound stupid, but what is capped with solid inners? So the inner links are solid but the outer part isn’t?