The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 October 2019, 10:08 PM   #1
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
The itch - 5524G

All this talk about 5524s making me itchy and hungry. At a potential entry point in the low 30s (if possible) at the summer seasonal trough of the market in October, isn't this an amazing buy? Not to make money but to enjoy as a WIS and retain value ya? I hardly see this going below 30 ever..
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 10:57 PM   #2
fidd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I paid full retail for 5524R and no regrets. I would do the same again.

Its a piece to enjoy regardless of resale value etc.
fidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 11:37 PM   #3
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I personally think this is an undervalued watch at this time. It's come down SO much.

I understand that it's a polarizing piece, but I personally love it. Once you get the OEM strap off of it, it's a very fun piece, with a ton of different looks.

The time travel is an excellent function, and I think this guy creeps back up into the 40s. I actually like it more than the 5164!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 October 2019, 11:53 PM   #4
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
I personally think this is an undervalued watch at this time. It's come down SO much.

I understand that it's a polarizing piece, but I personally love it. Once you get the OEM strap off of it, it's a very fun piece, with a ton of different looks.

The time travel is an excellent function, and I think this guy creeps back up into the 40s. I actually like it more than the 5164!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agree. Very undervalued and I think its a great time to pick one up.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:09 AM   #5
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
It is a great watch and if you can get it below the 49K retail, then go for it. I think it will retain value. But make sure you try one on first. It was too big for my puny wrist, and it sits high, like a hockey puck. But it is a gorgeous watch with a useful complication.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:18 AM   #6
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

I must say, it is a fun piece, it's very refreshing to wear and the price is now, in pre-owned pieces, quite appetizing

Consider it's trajectory so far in RRP Vs pre-owned, the former has increased, the later decreased... I'm not a crystal ball enthusiast, but I'd say this is the stable price point. (Take heed Nautilus)

It wears smaller than a 5905, which was something I aspire too... It can be dressed up or down with strap choices, which I do enjoy - as before mentioned, the other travel time watches do seem caught up in the Nautilus/aquanaut hype, which has let this one go by relatively quietly.

It is admittedly Marmite : But then, so were the aquanaut et al.
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:21 AM   #7
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've got a small wrist so the 5524 is too big for me, but I'd very very much like to see a 7234g.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:25 AM   #8
Mr Naultilus
Banned

You can't go wrong
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:26 AM   #9
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
What we selling?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:29 AM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I think my wife's 7234a will look great on my 6.5" wrist.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:57 AM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I always thought u had a 6.25” wrist lol
Old 11 October 2019, 01:15 AM   #12
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
All this talk about 5524s making me itchy and hungry. At a potential entry point in the low 30s (if possible) at the summer seasonal trough of the market in October, isn't this an amazing buy? Not to make money but to enjoy as a WIS and retain value ya? I hardly see this going below 30 ever..
Would this be an add to your collection or are you considering selling the 5170P? Asking for a friend.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 02:02 AM   #13
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Would this be an add to your collection or are you considering selling the 5170P? Asking for a friend.
I actually have a 5711 blue 2009 Geneve seal nautilus full set that is in service with HSWA right now that will come back like new and sealed. I picked it up during the HongKong Dealer Fire sale madness of August '19. This may get sold and then I might have some funds to pick up a 5524 or maybe even reacquire a 5522. Also have my eyes on a Journe.

The 5170P will stay at least long enough for Fatninja to feel sorry he ever made that over/under!!!!!
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 02:03 AM   #14
ts3
"TRF" Member

The 5524 is not for me no matter at what price:

1) At 42mm it is too large for my wrist and very large for a strap Patek in general.
2) The complication is mostly a gimmick in my view. Travel time math runs in my head no problem and moreover I still have to know the time difference.
3) Dials w one hour hand just look better, less is more. The second one looks like a crutch for people too lazy to add 1+1.

No offense and I know I am the odd man out here... If it was 40mm I could see myself digging a 5522 though.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 03:17 AM   #15
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
The 5170P will stay at least long enough for Fatninja to feel sorry he ever made that over/under!!!!!

Lol

Go pick up a 5320G. I still really like that watch.
Old 11 October 2019, 03:17 AM   #16
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
I picked it up during the HongKong Dealer Fire sale madness of August '19.
What happened with this? Haven’t heard of the fire sale. Still a chance to pickup a piece?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 04:00 AM   #17
Pim
Banned

I have been tracking my 5524G on chrono24 for about 2 months now. Chrono has this awesome function to show you the price development of a watch over a certain time.
I bought mine for 35K euro and the watch has been climbing slowly but steadily for the last months, the average price on chrono is now 39.500 euro.

I think that the watch will botom out on 35K euro and will not get below that price point. I do not believe the cheapest sellers on chrono as they often post watches they do not actually own
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 04:46 AM   #18
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The 5524 is not for me no matter at what price:

1) At 42mm it is too large for my wrist and very large for a strap Patek in general.
2) The complication is mostly a gimmick in my view. Travel time math runs in my head no problem and moreover I still have to know the time difference.
3) Dials w one hour hand just look better, less is more. The second one looks like a crutch for people too lazy to add 1+1.

No offense and I know I am the odd man out here... If it was 40mm I could see myself digging a 5522 though.
All these reasons are why I LOVE the 5524 ;). I just don't get the too big argument, this is the smallest watch I have and I have a slightly under 7" wrist. Especially at 10mm thick, it really sits low on the wrist, IMO. The TT, GMT, etc is one of the more useful complications, honestly. When is the last time you actually timed something using a chronograph on a mechanical watch? If you travel away from family/friends, a GMT is great to have!

I bought at 37k USD, so very happy with my purchase, I don't expect to lose a ton of value (no plans to sell) specifically on this reference. I'd expect this to go down (less) as prices soften everywhere.

This thread is missing a pic of this beauty! Have a NATO coming today that I can't wait to try...

IMG_9640.JPG
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 06:17 AM   #19
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post
All these reasons are why I LOVE the 5524 ;). I just don't get the too big argument, this is the smallest watch I have and I have a slightly under 7" wrist. Especially at 10mm thick, it really sits low on the wrist, IMO. The TT, GMT, etc is one of the more useful complications, honestly. When is the last time you actually timed something using a chronograph on a mechanical watch? If you travel away from family/friends, a GMT is great to have!

I bought at 37k USD, so very happy with my purchase, I don't expect to lose a ton of value (no plans to sell) specifically on this reference. I'd expect this to go down (less) as prices soften everywhere.

This thread is missing a pic of this beauty! Have a NATO coming today that I can't wait to try...

Attachment 1077146
Very nice. Yes, it is a pilots watch so it looks ok being on the bigger side.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 06:46 AM   #20
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Now imagine this on a 6" wrist and you will understand the size concerns. You have a good-sized wrist and it looks big on you.

As for the complication, for those who can do the math in their head it may not serve a useful function, but do any of us use any of the other complications? I would love a minute repeater, but would probably not use it too often once I got tired of playing with it.

It is a good-looking Patek, in my wife's opinion the best looking of any Patek. I hope OP buys one and loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post

Attachment 1077146
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 06:55 AM   #21
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
All this wrist size stuff seems like a tire kicking moment to me..! :) Bought a brand new one last month and no wrist size problems here at all..

90249448-EED1-4E78-8EA5-6D6FB37D3C76_1_105_c.jpeg

8AB3E07C-BE14-490B-9B6A-C95C6235229A_1_105_c.jpeg
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 01:15 PM   #22
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Now imagine this on a 6" wrist and you will understand the size concerns. You have a good-sized wrist and it looks big on you.
I do think these look way bigger on wrist in pictures than in real life. I’d probably like it even more if I had a smaller wrist, I actually wish this was 43mm!
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 03:21 PM   #23
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Ran into a guy with the 37mm RG version at the Century City mall, Jin. It popped! Insane how good it looked on his wrist
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 03:51 PM   #24
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
I like everything about the 5524 but just can't stand the watch pusher.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 05:37 PM   #25
Josh1000
Banned

The 5524 is significantly better value than a 5164R. Better legibility, weight, lume etc. Also much nicer than that incredibly boring 5522 with huge open space on the dial....only negative for me is that the piston pushers stick out a little too much. Slightly shorter be a great watch
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 09:12 PM   #26
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I knew you had an angle. Well played.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 09:16 PM   #27
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I felt too large for me at 6.5. Wouldn’t mind trying the ladies rg version, just haven’t made it a priority but could be amazing. Can this different shade of rg really make it feminine?
Old 11 October 2019, 09:52 PM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Lot of talk about it here now as it is available so it is referred to often, just be sure you like the watch and not that it is easily buyable.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 10:16 PM   #29
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

I'm really happy with mine. More intuitive than a GMT. Got the Patek kudos, but not drawing all the attention in the Room. Strong lume game.

Only had a couple of different Nautilus' until now in my journey out of Rolex and sports watches...
Been lucky on that level alone, as they aren't easy to get, but I've found, that makes for a long chase and the infatuation dies upon realisation, especially in all the "market hype"...

This 5524 is my first venture into Pateks other offerings and, I must say, I "like it" more for the fact that it called to me, rather than the fact that - Everyone else was calling for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20191011_130835.jpg (46.6 KB, 468 views)
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 10:39 PM   #30
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
I'm really happy with mine. More intuitive than a GMT. Got the Patek kudos, but not drawing all the attention in the Room. Strong lume game.

Only had a couple of different Nautilus' until now in my journey out of Rolex and sports watches...
Been lucky on that level alone, as they aren't easy to get, but I've found, that makes for a long chase and the infatuation dies upon realisation, especially in all the "market hype"...

This 5524 is my first venture into Pateks other offerings and, I must say, I "like it" more for the fact that it called to me, rather than the fact that - Everyone else was calling for it
This is a good point about the long waits. I’m exhausted and it takes the fun away for me. People say the chase is the fun, I kinda disagree as i fatigue over it