The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 17 July 2021, 12:02 AM   #1
Merle Russ
"TRF" Member

Icon9 OysterQuartz 19018 Inner Case

I have an 18K OysterQuartz Day-DateJust 19018 that I sent in for an overhaul. Rolex responded that the inner case is broken and needs to be replaced at a cost of $8,900 just for the replacement inner case part itself. I bought this watch new in 1990 and have not worn it as an everyday watch, wearing my stainless GMT Master instead.

I am dismayed that such an expensive watch that has been worn only for dress occasions would need such an expensive repair now. Any advice, other than to suck it up and pay for the repair?

Thanks,
MDR
Merle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 03:06 AM   #2
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Well I would assume that they aren’t repairing anything, they would be replacing. Now I’m no expert in what can be repaired and what can’t but I’ve been a member here for a long time and most everything that Rolex says needs replaced can be repaired quite adequately by someone else somewhere.
I would contact Drew Zimmerman @

Zimmerman Watch Repair
1940 W Market St, York, PA, United States, 17404

Look him up on Facebook, he does amazing work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 03:44 AM   #3
Merle Russ
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

i will contact Mr. Zimmerman and find out if the case middle part can be repaired.
Old 17 July 2021, 04:09 AM   #4
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Did they inform you what is actually broken or what it looks like? I would ask the watch back and have someone else fix it (look at the likes such as LA watchworks etc.), you won't have to pay this amount.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 04:31 AM   #5
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
When I read $8900 bux is said What...???
I find that kinda hard to believe really, for an occasional watch without abuse...!?! .
I would definitely seek another opinion for sure.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 08:56 AM   #6
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
You can just about buy an eBay 19018 for that kind of money and have all the parts you'll ever need to keep it running.

I also wear mine sparingly, since I have plenty of options.
Old 17 July 2021, 11:50 AM   #7
Merle Russ
"TRF" Member

Good Advice

Yes, I can buy a like-new 19018 for about what Rolex wants to replace this case part. That occurred to me. I'm going to see who can repair it first.

Thanks.
Old 17 July 2021, 05:09 PM   #8
ColtFletcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref. 3729/1
Well, you made me pull out my gold quartz 19018 after I read this and it looks like I need a new battery after a year unworn and living in the vault.

I cannot understand how this service repair could possibly be so expensive.

I wish you the best. There must be an "authorized shop' to repair at a fraction. My first thought is gold is malleable and can be repaired. Just nuts. So sorry for your frustrations here.

Please keep the forum informed.
Old 23 July 2021, 06:16 AM   #9
Merle Russ
"TRF" Member

Update

Thank you to all for the helpful advice. I have contacted Drew Zimmerman and he tells me that if the case middle part needs repair or replacement then it is most likely that the threads on the case back and case frame are damaged. (Hmmm...since only Rolex and Rolex factory-authorized repairmen have touched this watch since it was new, I wonder how that happened?)

I am shipping it to him for an assessment and, hopefully, a rethreading repair. You folks have saved me the $8,820 I would have paid Rolex to replace the middle part. And I would have replaced it because the watch has an irreplaceable memento value.

Thank you.
MDR
Old 23 July 2021, 06:49 AM   #10
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Drew is the man for it for sure. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 08:17 AM   #11
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle Russ View Post
Thank you to all for the helpful advice. I have contacted Drew Zimmerman and he tells me that if the case middle part needs repair or replacement then it is most likely that the threads on the case back and case frame are damaged. (Hmmm...since only Rolex and Rolex factory-authorized repairmen have touched this watch since it was new, I wonder how that happened?)

I am shipping it to him for an assessment and, hopefully, a rethreading repair. You folks have saved me the $8,820 I would have paid Rolex to replace the middle part. And I would have replaced it because the watch has an irreplaceable memento value.

Thank you.
MDR

It is strange, and worth asking RSC a detailed question about the problem with the midcase. Since some of the watchmakers in the past seem to not be RSC personnel, they won’t offer a replacement. But for the emotional value, having the midcase repaired is a great alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:42 AM   #12
Merle Russ
"TRF" Member

Thank you again to all for the great advice here and a special thanks to rmurphy for his referral of Drew Zimmerman. Drew repaired my watch and returned it to me about two weeks ago fully restored--it looks like a brand-new watch. Not only did he do an extraordinary job in restoring the timepiece, but his undershot his estimate by over one-third and his final invoice was about 25% of what the RSC had quoted me to replace the inner case along with the normal service and restoration (replacing hands, ets.).

He also told me that the thread damage to the inner case had been caused by someone using a non-Rolex tool to remove the bezel in order to replace the crystal, if I got that right. Just a warning to others, since I have only had the watch serviced by "Rolex factory authorized" jewelers since I bought it new in 1990. Drew Zimmerman is now my only Rolex technician for my 19018 as well as for my GMT Master.
Old 15 December 2021, 03:52 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Glad that you were able to rescue your watch

More of us need to get professional repairs done for these old timers that will never be made again.
Old 15 December 2021, 04:16 AM   #14
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Awesome update...
Glad it all worked out..

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:55 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

That's great news!