The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2021, 12:22 AM   #1
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Whats a reasonable price for a third series 3940R no box or papers, but an extract?

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm getting a fair price, so polling the experts.

What price range would you expect to pay for a 3rd series PP 3940R, year 2004, no box or papers, but with an extract, no additional case back (includes the sapphire case back), deployant clasp, etc. Excellent condition, recently serviced, hallmarks under the case look great, working correctly, etc.

If you need additional info, please let me know. I know I can check Chrono24 (and have) but hard to tell how inflated those prices are and in those specific criteria not a clear match.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 01:48 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Who serviced it, do they have factory service papers?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 04:26 AM   #3
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Who serviced it, do they have factory service papers?
The watch is claimed to be serviced by Patek Philippe but there are no service papers. Claimed to be operating in order.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 05:34 AM   #4
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
the 3940 is an interesting reference, demand for it seems to have increased recently after being worn by famous youtubers like Ben Clymer and Christian from Theo and Harris.
few year back, i used to see them in the 30s. now with the PP demand increase, shortage in production because of covid and price increase because of CHF exchange rate the prices seem to have climbed to 40s and 50s
the undervalued pieces now are the discontinued ACs and Gondolo...who knows they might be the next big thing
Old 14 September 2021, 05:48 PM   #5
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
the 3940 is an interesting reference, demand for it seems to have increased recently after being worn by famous youtubers like Ben Clymer and Christian from Theo and Harris.
few year back, i used to see them in the 30s. now with the PP demand increase, shortage in production because of covid and price increase because of CHF exchange rate the prices seem to have climbed to 40s and 50s
the undervalued pieces now are the discontinued ACs and Gondolo...who knows they might be the next big thing
There is a bit of romanticism around the 3940.

It was the daily of the proprietor and introduced against all odds during the height of the Swiss watch crisis. It goes on to prevail and was manufactured for over 30 years.

I struggle a bit because it's a 36mm that wears like a 34mm. Even its replacement, the 5140, a tad larger gets little wrist time from me.
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 01:33 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Philippe Stern was known to wear the 3940 amongst other pieces. I believe he wore the J version as that was the more popular metal when the watch was being produced.

You may still be able to get the 3940J for a lower price than the 3940R due to production numbers.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 04:40 AM   #7
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

€ 40-45k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote