The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 19 April 2016, 08:38 PM   #91
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
but if I do half as good a job as my dad then I will be proud of a job well done.

James

What a lovely sentiment.

It's funny the journey this thread has taken from me originally asking for some advice about a pen to this!

This forum really is a wonderful place!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2016, 10:30 PM   #92
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
What a lovely sentiment.

It's funny the journey this thread has taken from me originally asking for some advice about a pen to this!

This forum really is a wonderful place!
I'm glad you think so. I was worried that it would read as being a bit cheesy and disingenuous

You're right, it's an amazing place here. I've not been a member for long but I notice every day how positive the interactions here are. Given the main focus of the forum is a high-end luxury product, it wouldn't take a great leap of imagination to think that all conversations would boil down to, "mine's rarer/more expensive/ more complicated than yours" but in fact the opposite is true. Everybody is made genuinely welcome.

Not sure where this particular stream of consciousness is going but in summary, I'm very glad I found this place!
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 11:15 PM   #93
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bling72 View Post
Omega - there's a saying of balancing one's life into thirds...

8 hours sleep
8 hours work
8 hours Rest/Relaxation/Family/down time/your time

Any imbalance, the other two significantly suffer, you cannot cheat that system
This REALLY resonated with me and I thought long and hard about it. I knew I couldn't continue with the crazy working hours and that my relationship with my new son would eventually suffer.

I requested a change in working hours with my employer which was rejected so I started to look elsewhere. Very quickly, my perfect job fell in to my lap.

It was the best decision I've ever made and wish I'd done it years ago! My little boy has just turned 10 months old so I feel that I've done it just at the right time.

I've seen more of him in these last 6 weeks than in the previous 6 months!!!

Now.... For some pen talk
Old 6 May 2016, 11:50 PM   #94
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Father's Day is almost upon us and for me, it will be my first. Due to the fact we thought we'd never see a mothers or fathers day I bought my wife something a little more special than I would ordinarily do from Tiffany's to mark the occasion.

Well karma must of been looking down kindly on me. Like I'm sure all of you fine folk I most certainly don't buy to receive and wanted my wife to have something special that she could keep forever to remind her of that day and how blessed we both are.

Well....... She dropped a rather large hint the other day that she feels she also would like to mark the occasion (as its a one off) with something as equally special that I'll be able to keep forever and she's considering getting me a fountain pen.

Yes you heard it right.... After 4 pages of this thread I may actually end up with a fountain pen after all.

I request that if you have the time you should read this thread through again from start to finish - its so interesting as to the path it's taken from me initially asking for some advice about a ball point pen.

So to the enablers out there: Shaun (Rusty), Leo (Lion), Larry (Frosty) and Bling 72 and everyone else, I think I may be ready!!!

I took myself to the local pen shop today for an initial look. I had 2 pens in mind from what you guys have previously suggested:
146 (correct me if I'm wrong but this is just a Meistustuck Le Grand?)

Well I've always thought of my Le Grand as being a rather big pen but side by side with the 149 it looks tiny! Wow that's a special pen and just looks and feels like nothing else.

I tried all of the different nibs and although I couldn't see any noticeable difference between the "M" and the "B" nibs on paper, the "B" was much preferred because it just glided effortlessly across the paper.

To be honest, it was a joy to write with and my handwriting all of sudden changed from formal to floaty and fancy. Wow! I'm starting to understand what you guys are on about.

Earlier in the thread I had totally discounted a fountain pen because it simply wasn't the right time nor place for me at that point and my other 2 pens worked much better and were more suited to my environment.

Now that I've had a significant change in work vs life balance in the sense that I now have 'time' please please impart all of your vast experience, knowledge and wisdom to me about all things fountain pens. I'm like a sponge wanting to learn and absorb as much as possible..... Pros, cons, inks etc etc

Many thanks as always

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2016, 08:06 AM   #95
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
These guys are my favorites for ink thus far

I am a novice when it comes to pens so take my words with half a grain of salt. I have 3 fountain pens, 2 Montblanc and a delta. All 3 are decent pens and all 3 write VERY different. My favorite to write with is

My montblanc tolstoy.

My favorite to look at in terms of subtle class and appearance is

my Delta indigenous people.

My favorite in terms of studying, as it has a million neat details that each have a meaning or explanation, is

my Montblanc Da Vinci.

All three work well and are fun, and all three get used on a regular basis, but day to day the Tolstoy is my pen.

Spend some time if you can with each pen using various types of ink and keep notes on which pen works best with the ink you find you like the best. I like the iroshizuku inks because they flow well and have a beautiful color shift from wet to dry, which is nice to watch but serves a real practical purpose of allowing you to know when your ink is totally dry.

Have fun and enjoy whatever you choose!
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2016, 06:32 PM   #96
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
These guys are my favorites for ink thus far

I am a novice when it comes to pens so take my words with half a grain of salt. I have 3 fountain pens, 2 Montblanc and a delta. All 3 are decent pens and all 3 write VERY different. My favorite to write with is

My montblanc tolstoy.

My favorite to look at in terms of subtle class and appearance is

my Delta indigenous people.

My favorite in terms of studying, as it has a million neat details that each have a meaning or explanation, is

my Montblanc Da Vinci.

All three work well and are fun, and all three get used on a regular basis, but day to day the Tolstoy is my pen.

Spend some time if you can with each pen using various types of ink and keep notes on which pen works best with the ink you find you like the best. I like the iroshizuku inks because they flow well and have a beautiful color shift from wet to dry, which is nice to watch but serves a real practical purpose of allowing you to know when your ink is totally dry.

Have fun and enjoy whatever you choose!

John,

Thanks for this. You have quite the collection there and so different to anything I have seen before.

I hadn't even considered inks... I just assumed I'd buy ink from Mont Blanc but there's another door you've just opened!

Many thanks for sharing.

James.
Old 9 May 2016, 12:10 AM   #97
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
John,

Thanks for this. You have quite the collection there and so different to anything I have seen before.

I hadn't even considered inks... I just assumed I'd buy ink from Mont Blanc but there's another door you've just opened!

Many thanks for sharing.

James.
Thank you sir and ir is a very small modest collection if you can call it a collection.

Inks are what make it fun for me! There are a million different colors and kinds from all over the world. I will say though that some get crazy expensive and others are damn near impossible to find. Those are the ones that will drive you crazy. It's like pappy van Winkle, you know it's out there, others have it but you can't ever find a bottle!

Enjoy it, have fun with it, but don't let it drive you too crazy. Pens and ink are like watches, it's hard to have just one and once you get a decent one the rest never seem right.
Old 9 May 2016, 01:01 AM   #98
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
Pens and ink are like watches, it's hard to have just one and once you get a decent one the rest never seem right.

So true!
Old 20 May 2016, 01:09 AM   #99
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Well, an update:

I've had 2 trips now to my local pen store and have finally made a decision

Order has been placed to be shipped from Germany as the store do not hold the configuration i've chosen.

They've estimated 5 - 7 working day's so i'm in for a bit of a wait.

Watch this space...... I have another incoming en-route (and this one is the most exciting yet)

VERY excited
Old 20 May 2016, 01:16 AM   #100
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Have you finally bitten the fountain pen bullet. If not... go on. You're only holding off the inevitable!
Old 20 May 2016, 02:21 AM   #101
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you finally bitten the fountain pen bullet. If not... go on. You're only holding off the inevitable!
Maybe
Old 20 May 2016, 02:23 AM   #102
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!!
Old 20 May 2016, 05:51 AM   #103
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

I've just seen the preceding posts making my initial comment redundant. Welcome to the club Sir. Enjoy the new pen and what it represents.

As for ink, I usually stick to MB branded stuff in my MB a) because I'm a bit paranoid about doing anything that might compromise it and b) the black ink is stunning and I like using it for signing important things.

Another good brand to consider is Diamine. They have a huge spectrum of colours, all of which write brilliantly. My current favourite is Green-black which looks dark and formal enough to use at work but has a bit of a twist to suit my innate need to be a little eccentric.

I hate to open another can of worms in quick succession but have you thought about ink wells?

J
Old 20 May 2016, 07:47 PM   #104
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hate to open another can of worms in quick succession but have you thought about ink wells?

J

Whaaaat?
Old 20 May 2016, 07:57 PM   #105
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whaaaat?
Not essential but a nice addition to your desk. Given you've got a collector's instinct already...
Old 20 May 2016, 08:10 PM   #106
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not essential but a nice addition to your desk. Given you've got a collector's instinct already...

Hmmmm, that's one to ponder.

Don't tell my wife that I may be a collector or she'll go nuts 😉
Old 20 May 2016, 08:34 PM   #107
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmmm, that's one to ponder.

Don't tell my wife that I may be a collector or she'll go nuts ��
Fear not... telling her would be in serious breach of the man law! I thought you said earlier that she was getting into pens as well. From there it's only a small step and she too will be joining you on the slippery slope
Old 20 May 2016, 08:46 PM   #108
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought you said earlier that she was getting into pens as well. From there it's only a small step and she too will be joining you on the slippery slope

I bought her a cross fountain pen years ago when she first got her job and recently a Mont Blanc rollerball when she got a promotion but I think that's it for her.

I'm putting all my energy trying to get her in to watches...... Nothing!
Old 20 May 2016, 09:31 PM   #109
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought her a cross fountain pen years ago when she first got her job and recently a Mont Blanc rollerball when she got a promotion but I think that's it for her.

I'm putting all my energy trying to get her in to watches...... Nothing!
That's a mixed blessing. Mine gets why I love watches but they don't really do that much for her beyond the "oooh pretty" response. Result, she indulges my desire to spend money on watches without needing to indulge too. Win, win! (As a quid pro quo, I suffer living in the same house as her cat... least said there the better)
Old 21 May 2016, 02:00 AM   #110
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
The world of using fountain pens is the best of all choices…..using different colored inks(and FP's) to suit your day or mood is a pleasure to have. I do have my favorites…MontBlanc's Bordeaux(discontinued)and Oyster Gray but there are many colors to choose from. And of course there are many companies who make bottled inks and most fountain pen companies make converters(facilitates changing your ink readily) for your fountain pens….

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 11:56 PM   #111
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

I put a call in to the shop today to see if my parcel had been delivered from Germany yet but it's still not arrived
Old 27 May 2016, 02:22 AM   #112
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I put a call in to the shop today to see if my parcel had been delivered from Germany yet but it's still not arrived
Be patient…I'm sure it's in transit and you will have it soon enough!!!

Old 11 June 2016, 04:51 AM   #113
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Newbie (to pens) advice please...

Finally.......

I N C O M I N G !!!!!!

Old 11 June 2016, 05:18 AM   #114
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Newbie (to pens) advice please...

Well it's finally arrived

May I introduce my new Mont Blanc Meisturstuck 149 fountain pen.

The store manager was so apologetic for the delay. Turns out it was lost in transit from Germany so they had to re-order it.

Superb customer service. I was offered a free Mont Blanc 3 pen pouch or additional discount on what we'd already agreed for the inconvenience.

As I said previously I just cant believe this pen makes my Meisturstuck Le Grand look small. It's enormous!!!

And that nib.... WOW, a work of art !!

I'm so unbelievably happy today. This pen is the icing on the cake for my MB collection. I have 4 now and am done. Very happy to have finally joined the fountain pen community.

Thank you to all the enablers and for all of the advice given.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

James.

Old 11 June 2016, 10:51 AM   #115
Lion
"TRF" Member

James, glad to hear your MB #149 has arrived and all is good with you. Enjoy your fantastic iconic purchase and be happy and enjoy writing again…..

Take care…..Leo

Old 11 June 2016, 11:00 AM   #116
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well it's finally arrived

May I introduce my new Mont Blanc Meisturstuck 149 fountain pen.

The store manager was so apologetic for the delay. Turns out it was lost in transit from Germany so they had to re-order it.

Superb customer service. I was offered a free Mont Blanc 3 pen pouch or additional discount on what we'd already agreed for the inconvenience.

As I said previously I just cant believe this pen makes my Meisturstuck Le Grand look small. It's enormous!!!

And that nib.... WOW, a work of art !!

I'm so unbelievably happy today. This pen is the icing on the cake for my MB collection. I have 4 now and am done. Very happy to have finally joined the fountain pen community.

Thank you to all the enablers and for all of the advice given.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

James.

It is a thing of beauty!! Enjoy those! Now it's time to play with inks!
Old 13 June 2016, 08:41 PM   #117
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Congratulations James! Welcome to the club. Enjoy it. How does it feel to write with?

J
Old 13 June 2016, 09:15 PM   #118
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congratulations James! Welcome to the club. Enjoy it. How does it feel to write with?

J

Smooth and has totally changed my style of writing. Hopefully it can only get better as the nib beds in.

I must admit, I got covered in ink the first time I filled it. Think that will take some practice!
Old 13 June 2016, 09:19 PM   #119
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Smooth and has totally changed my style of writing. Hopefully it can only get better as the nib beds in.

I must admit, I got covered in ink the first time I filled it. Think that will take some practice!
Haha I hope so. I still get covered in ink fairly regularly. My big tip for fountain pen ownership... hairspray and nail polish remover are great ways to remove ink from shirts!

Glad you're enjoying it.
Old 15 June 2016, 11:27 AM   #120
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote