The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 September 2021, 11:49 PM   #1
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

5968A-001 Lifespan

Anyone care to venture a guess as to how long the 5968A-001 will be an active piece in the Aquanaut portfolio? I'm hoping to get if from my AD sometime in the next couple of years...key word 'hoping'.
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 12:00 AM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This model was released in 2018 and it is really hard to say when Patek is going to pull the plug. Some models run for a long time while some were discontinued in a year. My guess is as good as yours really.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 12:32 AM   #3
llngoc
"TRF" Member

On this topic, is this piece really hard to come by at the AD level? My AD was going to let me be on the WL a couple of months back with a 2023 ETA, but now is discouraging me as he had not seen any for this year. He had two people ahead of me in the waitlist and was hoping to get one per year hence the original 2023 estimate.

It seems like all the 5968 models have become really hot lately?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 02:18 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
On this topic, is this piece really hard to come by at the AD level? My AD was going to let me be on the WL a couple of months back with a 2023 ETA, but now is discouraging me as he had not seen any for this year. He had two people ahead of me in the waitlist and was hoping to get one per year hence the original 2023 estimate.

It seems like all the 5968 models have become really hot lately?

Yes it’s very much hard to come by. My understanding is they have movement issues which is nuts seeing as it’s an established caliber. Regardless harder to come by than many of the sport pieces.
Old 8 September 2021, 05:00 AM   #5
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

In my opinion, after the green 5711, the hardest sports watch to obtain. Most ADs get one every 1-2 years…
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 06:48 AM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

All Aquanauts/Nautilus are probably in the ballpark of 1-2 pieces per year.... Doesn't matter which model tbh... It's currently the most complicated Aquanaut in the collection which might explain its low production number and it's a chronograph. Judging by the 5980 lifespan I don't think its gonna be long in the catalogue. Though its size is slightly on the bigger side, like the 5980...
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:19 PM   #7
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
All Aquanauts/Nautilus are probably in the ballpark of 1-2 pieces per year.... Doesn't matter which model tbh... It's currently the most complicated Aquanaut in the collection which might explain its low production number and it's a chronograph. Judging by the 5980 lifespan I don't think its gonna be long in the catalogue. Though its size is slightly on the bigger side, like the 5980...
Just noticed your 5980 blue incoming! Congrats.

Why did you go with the G instead of the A? You were on the list of the A not too long ago? Did you pass on the A to go for the G?

I am just really tossing up between the 2 at the moment and would be grateful to hear your thoughts.
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 07:09 PM   #8
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
Just noticed your 5980 blue incoming! Congrats.

Why did you go with the G instead of the A? You were on the list of the A not too long ago? Did you pass on the A to go for the G?

I am just really tossing up between the 2 at the moment and would be grateful to hear your thoughts.
Yeah I was on the list for the 5968A because I really like chronographs being a fan of Formula 1. But my AD could only promise me the next 5968A for 2022. When the 5968G came out I registered my interest and they were very nice to allocate me the first one so I took it. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush after all. The drawback is the price though between the 5968A and the 5968G, considering they are the same watch just made of different materials. But blue Patek watches are rarer I supposed and I have quite a number of black dial watches already so it was time to diversify a little. The weight of the white gold really makes the watch feel substantial and worth its price. If given the chance now to pick between both I will probably pick the 5968G over the A but have to stomach the extra cost.

I considered it a blessing in disguise tbh. My favourite watch has always been the 5650G advance research aquanaut. The 5968G in a way resembles that watch for 1/5 the 5650G market price (£50k to £250k) and that’s probably as close as I will get to scratching the itch for a 5650G. That’s the reason why I chose blue over green. You won’t go wrong with both actually.

I thought you sold your 5968A?

FA230763-9EE7-4954-A91B-573171163E89.jpeg
Old 8 September 2021, 07:15 PM   #9
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Insightful response. Thanks for that.

I saw Lingard spotting one and maybe didn't give it enough time.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Old 8 September 2021, 07:17 PM   #10
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
Insightful response. Thanks for that.

I saw Lingard spotting one and maybe didn't give it enough time.

Harry Kane and VVD both wear their 5968A quite frequently too!
Old 8 September 2021, 07:27 PM   #11
liljctl
"TRF" Member

When I saw VVD with the SG 5167 version. I stopped wearing mine for months.

Old 8 September 2021, 08:58 PM   #12
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Yeah I was on the list for the 5968A because I really like chronographs being a fan of Formula 1. But my AD could only promise me the next 5968A for 2022. When the 5968G came out I registered my interest and they were very nice to allocate me the first one so I took it. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush after all. The drawback is the price though between the 5968A and the 5968G, considering they are the same watch just made of different materials. But blue Patek watches are rarer I supposed and I have quite a number of black dial watches already so it was time to diversify a little. The weight of the white gold really makes the watch feel substantial and worth its price. If given the chance now to pick between both I will probably pick the 5968G over the A but have to stomach the extra cost.

I considered it a blessing in disguise tbh. My favourite watch has always been the 5650G advance research aquanaut. The 5968G in a way resembles that watch for 1/5 the 5650G market price (£50k to £250k) and that’s probably as close as I will get to scratching the itch for a 5650G. That’s the reason why I chose blue over green. You won’t go wrong with both actually.

I thought you sold your 5968A?

Attachment 1243047
Nice watch but even nicer model Ferrari
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:55 PM   #13
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Nice watch but even nicer model Ferrari
Thanks! One fine day hopefully haha!
Old 8 September 2021, 10:35 PM   #14
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Who knows? 5164a would be the next to go imo.
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 10:49 AM   #15
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Yes it’s very much hard to come by. My understanding is they have movement issues which is nuts seeing as it’s an established caliber. Regardless harder to come by than many of the sport pieces.
If I'm not mistaken, it's simply because they adjusted production allocation of that movement to pre-fab enough 5968G's for their recent launch.

Those have been shipping pretty actively lately.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 11:53 AM   #16
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it's simply because they adjusted production allocation of that movement to pre-fab enough 5968G's for their recent launch.

Those have been shipping pretty actively lately.
So does it mean that it can be “easier” to get a 5968G?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 10:33 PM   #17
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
So does it mean that it can be “easier” to get a 5968G?
I would probably say yes? The price difference between the A and the G would make most people go for the A anyway. The same can be observed between 5167 and 5168.