The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 September 2021, 09:40 PM   #1
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
5990 or 6263

I’ve had a 5990 in the past and loved it, unfortunately sold it a while back. I’d love one back.
However, a grail watch I’ve always wanted was a 6263.
Money being equal, which would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:04 PM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

If you can get the 5990 again from an AD, its a no brainer. You do not have to worry about authenticity and condition as most likely you will be the one removing the seal from the box. Value wise you will also be positive the moment you get it from the AD.

6263 is great watch and I was monitoring the market for one a few months back but the prices really fluctuate A LOT depending on condition and provenance/history (full box and papers, non-serviced dial, correct lume for that particular period etc). Special dial like Sigma and Big Red would require even more money. The greatest fear in buying a 6263 is that if any part of the watch is not original and not detected upon purchase, your subsequent sale should you decide to get rid of the watch would be a disaster. And considering you are paying top top dollar for a 6263 right now, I doubt you will send it back to Rolex for a full servicing and parts replacement to maintain its originality. I asked about this before and if I am not mistaken upon servicing, 6263 'Big Red' dials will become normal small red dials.....
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:37 PM   #3
Carlazzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
5990 !!
6263 is a wonderful watch, but I prefer the PP.
I don't like vintage, at all !
Carlazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 11:04 PM   #4
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

5990 if you appreciate quality, 6263 if you appreciate history and that specific aesthetic.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 02:21 AM   #5
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Patek only and 5990.
Old 9 September 2021, 10:51 AM   #6
ramenlover
"TRF" Member

5990. The build quality of pre-2000 Rolexes are abysmal
ramenlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 12:12 AM   #7
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
If you can get the 5990 again from an AD, its a no brainer. You do not have to worry about authenticity and condition as most likely you will be the one removing the seal from the box. Value wise you will also be positive the moment you get it from the AD.

6263 is great watch and I was monitoring the market for one a few months back but the prices really fluctuate A LOT depending on condition and provenance/history (full box and papers, non-serviced dial, correct lume for that particular period etc). Special dial like Sigma and Big Red would require even more money. The greatest fear in buying a 6263 is that if any part of the watch is not original and not detected upon purchase, your subsequent sale should you decide to get rid of the watch would be a disaster. And considering you are paying top top dollar for a 6263 right now, I doubt you will send it back to Rolex for a full servicing and parts replacement to maintain its originality. I asked about this before and if I am not mistaken upon servicing, 6263 'Big Red' dials will become normal small red dials.....

This is the hard part of collecting vintage… the authenticity can be challenging. Do you know what the market range is for the 6263?

Old 12 September 2021, 06:39 PM   #8
DTV
Banned

Watch: Currently: 116500
Honestly, Ive handled the 5990A before in real life and got to wear it for a day. It was an absolute incredible watch, the 6263 is beautiful but when you wear it you just dont quite get the same sensation as a 5990A.

Thats my two cents on this topic, yet may be different for you.

Have any friends that you can borrow the watch from for a day and see if it works for you?
DTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 08:23 PM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post
This is the hard part of collecting vintage… the authenticity can be challenging. Do you know what the market range is for the 6263?

Between £60k to £75k. Depending on dial, condition and full set.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 11:33 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
6263 for me. It’s legendary and one of the the very best of all time.

I put aesthetics first and the dial on the 5990 doesn’t work for me.
Old 13 September 2021, 01:41 AM   #11
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

from experience, one of the nicest watches. issue the price is becoming scary. but it is watch with lots of presence.
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 04:10 AM   #12
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

5990 or 6263

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV View Post
Honestly, Ive handled the 5990A before in real life and got to wear it for a day. It was an absolute incredible watch, the 6263 is beautiful but when you wear it you just dont quite get the same sensation as a 5990A.

Thats my two cents on this topic, yet may be different for you.

Have any friends that you can borrow the watch from for a day and see if it works for you?

Salient point… in the past, I actually chose the 5990 over the 5712 by wearing it and appreciating its weight, heft and presence. (Wish I never sold it). The 5712 on the other hand, felt incredibly light and too thin for my liking.
I’m wondering how the 6263 feels on the wrist.

Old 13 September 2021, 05:35 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Salient point… in the past, I actually chose the 5990 over the 5712 by wearing it and appreciating its weight, heft and presence. (Wish I never sold it). The 5712 on the other hand, felt incredibly light and too thin for my liking.
I’m wondering how the 6263 feels on the wrist.

Like a 37mm steel tin can. If presence is any factor do not pass go and collect the 5990.
Old 13 September 2021, 06:04 AM   #14
ts3
"TRF" Member

The 5990 is hideous in my eyes - the beauty of the original Nautilus design has been lost as a result of its fat case with no less than four pushers. I'd go with the 6263 or consider the 5968 if you want a Patek sports chrono.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 06:23 AM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Bit of apples and oranges here to be honest....5990 is a monster on the wrist and doesn't exactly apply to the silky thin nature of Nautilus....very cool watch in terms of complication though. 6263 by now is an icon like many mentioned and vintage is truly 1 off unique with patina developed.....That said, if costs being similar and the 6263 is actually nice, I'd pick that for sure. Manual wind Daytonas fit very nicely on small wrists (large wrists alike) and is extremely comfortable for a Rolex sports watch....not the same as a 5711/5712 though in terms of thinness/sleekness. You won't have that with anything from Rolex.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 06:42 AM   #16
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
5990 by a distance

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 10:45 AM   #17
benzng
"TRF" Member

a super perfect 6263 is harder to find than a perfect 5990, demand wise, the 5990 would trump the 6263
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 01:01 PM   #18
yoast
"TRF" Member

I really like both and have been thinking about trading my 5164 towards a 6263 but as someone else mentioned the feel is just not there for me. The 6263 felt flimsy and underwhelming. Besides that, I am worried about the dial deteriorating faster since its vintage.
Old 14 September 2021, 12:45 AM   #19
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Adding my thoughts as a recent buyer of a 1978 6263 Big Red (and owner of a 5712).

It’s difficult to say what the right answer is as this is a bit of apples and oranges. I love the nautilus but the 6263 had always been one of my grails.

As another poster noted, the vintage Rolex market is a bit murky and prices can vary widely based on a number of factors. I knew very little about this market so had always hesitated to purchase a 6263. However, one of my good watch friends happens to be a very knowledgeable vintage guy and helped me find just the right one with all original parts, unpolished, etc.

To me the 6263 is one of the best looking watches ever made. My opinion only. It doesn’t have the heft on the wrist as a modern Daytona or the 5990 but it’s size and comfort is perfect for me (I have smaller wrists). The silver sunburst dial with the red “Daytona” is perfect. If you go this route, find a good vintage dealer to work with and do your homework…small differences drive bit price changes. For a high quality example, expect to pay over $100k USD or so. For its price, I expected to be a bit more cautious wearing this watch but i have ended up wearing it very often and in almost any circumstance…it’s already survived over 40 years!

Comparing it to a nautilus is tough. They are so well made and so smooth on the wrist. Personally, I don’t really like the 5990…don’t like the dial layout or the thickness (again just my opinion). But I do love the nautilus. As I mentioned above, I also have a 5712 that I love…just not as much as the 6263.

It’s a really hard question to answer as the two watches are so different. If it was me, I would choose the 6263 over the nautilus, especially the 5990.

If you go the 6263 route, I encourage you to do your homework and connect with some other vintage folks on here or on IG that can help you get the right one.

Some pics below for fun.

sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 07:41 AM   #20
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
6263, I find the 5990 bulky.

I would rather have a 5712.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:19 PM   #21
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
Adding my thoughts as a recent buyer of a 1978 6263 Big Red (and owner of a 5712).

It’s difficult to say what the right answer is as this is a bit of apples and oranges. I love the nautilus but the 6263 had always been one of my grails.

As another poster noted, the vintage Rolex market is a bit murky and prices can vary widely based on a number of factors. I knew very little about this market so had always hesitated to purchase a 6263. However, one of my good watch friends happens to be a very knowledgeable vintage guy and helped me find just the right one with all original parts, unpolished, etc.

To me the 6263 is one of the best looking watches ever made. My opinion only. It doesn’t have the heft on the wrist as a modern Daytona or the 5990 but it’s size and comfort is perfect for me (I have smaller wrists). The silver sunburst dial with the red “Daytona” is perfect. If you go this route, find a good vintage dealer to work with and do your homework…small differences drive bit price changes. For a high quality example, expect to pay over $100k USD or so. For its price, I expected to be a bit more cautious wearing this watch but i have ended up wearing it very often and in almost any circumstance…it’s already survived over 40 years!

Comparing it to a nautilus is tough. They are so well made and so smooth on the wrist. Personally, I don’t really like the 5990…don’t like the dial layout or the thickness (again just my opinion). But I do love the nautilus. As I mentioned above, I also have a 5712 that I love…just not as much as the 6263.

It’s a really hard question to answer as the two watches are so different. If it was me, I would choose the 6263 over the nautilus, especially the 5990.

If you go the 6263 route, I encourage you to do your homework and connect with some other vintage folks on here or on IG that can help you get the right one.

Some pics below for fun.

Great detailed analysis… your 6263 is absolutely gorgeous.
There is a 6263 on Tropical Watch that has had hands relumed and older bracelet, no box or papers… wondering about that effecting value.
How does it feel on the wrist?

Old 22 September 2021, 04:03 PM   #22
benzng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great detailed analysis… your 6263 is absolutely gorgeous.
There is a 6263 on Tropical Watch that has had hands relumed and older bracelet, no box or papers… wondering about that effecting value.
How does it feel on the wrist?

If you are going the 6263 route, I would suggest you wait for a better example.
With the vintage market, the value of the watch will be if it's a truly original example and all parts correct.
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 01:20 PM   #23
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzng View Post
With the vintage market, the value of the watch will be if it's a truly original example and all parts correct.
I agree with this. Wait for the right one. Took me a while to find one with all correct parts and in the shape I wanted but well worth it in the end.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 04:51 AM   #24
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzng View Post
To a certain extent I agree, but keep in mind that a slightly flawed 6263 can often be corrected. If that example on Tropical Watch was perfect it would probably be at least $10K more. It's priced accordingly because of the relumed hands, which look pretty darn good.

If the hands really bugged a buyer you could source a set of vintage hands with the original tritium and you're good to go. Not easy, of course, but doable.

Searching for that perfect, perfect 6263, or any vintage Rolex sports watch, can often be a search in vain. These watches are very old, and if they're all original, 99 percent of them will have something to nit-pick, even this one that I've had for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW DAYTONA BEZEL 6263 TRF.jpg (290.3 KB, 103 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 06:32 AM   #25
RickInCA
Banned

RickInCA is offline   Reply With Quote