The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 May 2022, 09:24 AM   #1
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Grinding sound when rotating crown slowly in GMT

Is it time for service? it's a 2016. I never noticed that before, because usually I wind it pretty quickly, but for some reason i tried to do it super slowly and between clicks, you feel/hear the sound of what rusted metals grinding on each other might sound like. Try not to be influenced by this visual I just send into your mind tho. But if I wind it quickly, it's much much much less noticeable. Is it normal or should I send it in for service. Other than this the watch behaves normally and keep time perfectly in range of expectation.

Also maybe just in my head, but I feel like it got a bit harder pull the crown from the middle to the out most position.

Thanks in advanced for any advice!
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 09:49 AM   #2
stefwer
"TRF" Member

I had the sensation on my 116710. Felt almost like shattered glas when winding. Sent it in under warranty and it came back fixed. (Albeit scratched…) No explanation what it was.
stefwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 11:20 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There are a lot of parts moving around inside there.

While it is likely that after a few years you have more grit and more metal-to-metal movement, only you can decide if it's time to pull the service trigger or not.

If it is running fine, and there are no functional issues, it becomes little more than peace-of-mind for you.
Old 28 May 2022, 11:37 AM   #4
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Do you think there will be any permanent damage if I let it be for another 4 years?
Old 28 May 2022, 01:59 PM   #5
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
Do you think there will be any permanent damage if I let it be for another 4 years?

Yep. Or may just 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 01:46 AM   #6
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
OP, I have had the same situation in the last couple of years with my 2o16 Submariner + clear grinding sound and feel once it was fully wound.

When i wanted to set it in march to summer time, my setting mechanism broke: i pulled the crown all the way but the seconds hand kept on going.

I brought it to service and apart from the complete overhaul they had to repair the setting system and automatic.

The watch was running perfect, so until it broke i didn't feel the need to bring it in.

After 2 weeks from service, the watch winds so smooth that it is very hard to feel when it is completely wound and it is even more accurate than how it left from Rolex when i bought it new.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 02:06 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
No. It is almost impossible to do any "permanent damage". Any and all worn or broken parts will be replaced upon service, regardless of when you have that service done.

If you go through older threads here you will find that many who have much experience, don't service their watch until it breaks.

There are others who do believe in periodic maintenance calls so their watch is always in peak condition. Choose a camp, neither is wrong.
Old 29 May 2022, 02:07 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Is it time for service? it's a 2016. I never noticed that before, because usually I wind it pretty quickly, but for some reason i tried to do it super slowly and between clicks, you feel/hear the sound of what rusted metals grinding on each other might sound like. Try not to be influenced by this visual I just send into your mind tho. But if I wind it quickly, it's much much much less noticeable. Is it normal or should I send it in for service. Other than this the watch behaves normally and keep time perfectly in range of expectation.

Also maybe just in my head, but I feel like it got a bit harder pull the crown from the middle to the out most position.

Thanks in advanced for any advice!
Mine was like that for a while.

Then it was not. It was sent in for service on Tuesday as it would no longer wind
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 04:41 AM   #9
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No. It is almost impossible to do any "permanent damage". Any and all worn or broken parts will be replaced upon service, regardless of when you have that service done.

If you go through older threads here you will find that many who have much experience, don't service their watch until it breaks.

There are others who do believe in periodic maintenance calls so their watch is always in peak condition. Choose a camp, neither is wrong.
Thanks for the advice! It's not like I have extra cash to waste. So just going to enjoy it until it get worse or something break. My wallet thanks you!
Old 29 May 2022, 05:17 AM   #10
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
The experience you are having when pulling the crown completely out when hacking the time happens to me on occasion as well. And it happened to my previous 16610LV too. Just don’t force it out. Snap the crown back in then try it again. It will eventually pop right out after 1-2-3 attempts.