The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2022, 11:41 PM   #1
GTak
"TRF" Member

Explorer wait times

Hi everyone, I am hopeful future Rolex owner with a question. I lurked a bit to try and see if I could find an answer with no luck. My fiance agreed to chip in for a nice watch as an engagement gift. I went to a few ADs in Maryland area to try things on and fell in love with the Explorer 36mm. It fits my wrist perfectly and seems great for every day wear. Of course I'll check in every 3-4 weeks to see if any progress has been made, but I'm not going to purchase things I don't want or bring gifts as I've seen a few people suggest. This weekend I'm going to try and visit each of the ADs in the DMV area and hopefully hop on their lists.

Is it reasonable to hope for getting my hands on an Explorer by October timeframe or should I be considering other options? I'm not willing to pay secondary prices. Thanks in advance for the advice!
GTak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 12:07 AM   #2
Lunaen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
It’s possible if you get lucky, but the DMV area is pretty difficult because of all the big spenders in DC and NoVA. That said, my AD mentioned that the explorer 36 wasn’t particularly hot compared to other sport models so there may be a chance for you to get it within a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lunaen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 12:14 AM   #3
GTak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaen View Post
It’s possible if you get lucky, but the DMV area is pretty difficult because of all the big spenders in DC and NoVA. That said, my AD mentioned that the explorer 36 wasn’t particularly hot compared to other sport models so there may be a chance for you to get it within a few months.

Ah ok. Thank you! I will try my luck and hope for the best. I go to NJ and PA somewhat frequently, so maybe I'll try to head there as well.
Old 28 May 2022, 12:16 AM   #4
GTak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ah ok. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed then! Maybe I will try my luck in PA and NJ since I go there now and then.
Old 28 May 2022, 03:35 AM   #5
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
try as many ADs as possible, you should have decent chances is MD I think. Most of your counterparts will flock to Delaware to save on sales tax. I know you said no to secondary prices but the 5 digit models will be about what you'll pay for new (if you hunt around). I have a preowned explorer one. Swiss only. I'm very pleased with it
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 03:38 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good luck and welcome to the forum
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 03:43 AM   #7
Lunaen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTak View Post
Ah ok. Thank you! I will try my luck and hope for the best. I go to NJ and PA somewhat frequently, so maybe I'll try to head there as well.

I agree with the other posters that trying the ADs in Maryland will be the best bet, especially if you live in the state. Most of the places I’ve been to have asked me if I was local and that may have an effect on their decision when allocating pieces.

Lunaen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 04:06 AM   #8
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
It’s a great reference. Love my 124270. Have you considered going to a reputable TRF seller? Prices on these pieces in the preowned market are slowly coming down to reality. . Happy hunting.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 04:30 AM   #9
GTak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
try as many ADs as possible, you should have decent chances is MD I think. Most of your counterparts will flock to Delaware to save on sales tax. I know you said no to secondary prices but the 5 digit models will be about what you'll pay for new (if you hunt around). I have a preowned explorer one. Swiss only. I'm very pleased with it
I did look around a bit at DavidSW, Radcliffe's used collection, and Crown+Caliber and they seem to be 1-3k over MSRP. I'll keep my eye out though just in case! I've hit up the two Radcliffe locations in MD and hoping to hit the last AD tomorrow. Good to hear you like your explorer! It seems like it'll be perfect for every day wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Good luck and welcome to the forum
Thank you!

Quote:
I agree with the other posters that trying the ADs in Maryland will be the best bet, especially if you live in the state. Most of the places I’ve been to have asked me if I was local and that may have an effect on their decision when allocating pieces.

That makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
It’s a great reference. Love my 124270. Have you considered going to a reputable TRF seller? Prices on these pieces in the preowned market are slowly coming down to reality. . Happy hunting.
I did look and I'll keep my eye out for any that pop out in my price range. Thank you!
Old 28 May 2022, 04:59 AM   #10
EmpireCity
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 124270
Hi there

I'm in Canada so might be a different story, but I felt like my 7-9 month wait was a reasonable wait for the Explorer. At least you've got a better chance to make it onto a "list". Good luck with your search!
EmpireCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 05:07 AM   #11
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
FWIW, I had good luck at the Tourneau (I guess Bucherer now?) at the Pentagon City mall, back in October 2020, getting a 126610 Sub (just months after its debut!) after waiting only maybe 8 weeks or so. New customer---hadn't bought anything there before or since, and didn't nag them at all. When I requested to get on the list it was via phone: my first time visiting the store in person was when I went to collect the watch. I talked with the SA (who was a store manager) on the phone for a while when I first inquired--maybe 10 minutes or so--and that was it. In hindsight, I think I got extremely lucky, as there might still be people waiting for this same reference who put in their names before I did. But I'd say it's worth trying them.

The Explorer, being 36mm and uncomplicated (2 things I happen to like about it!), probably won't be as difficult to acquire as a Sub.

And you might have better luck if your fiancé does the talking (assuming s/he is willing?), as it'll make for a more compelling rationale to get it done by October.

Alternatively, if you're willing to buy preowned, you can get 5-digit Explorer (which many here might agree is a superior watch in many respects!) right now for about the same or less money. Jacek at Tropical Watch has several including one with papers; also at least one 6-digit Explorer. Hunt around at the trusted vintage/preowned sites (HQ Milton, et al) and you're bound to find some competitive options.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 05:12 AM   #12
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
P.S. Lenkersdorfer at Tyson's Corner is a Rolex AD that also deals in preowned; if you register your interest there (assuming you are willing to buy preowned), you might double your chances. And I wouldn't judge their preowned selection by their website, as, in my experience, they often have items in stock that they don't list or haven't listed yet, so it's worth asking.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 05:49 AM   #13
LFFL
"TRF" Member

I've also registered interest in an Explorer a couple of months ago with my AD and don't plan on making contact again. Checking in every 3-4 weeks seems a bit excessive to me personally, I'd find it rather annoying but maybe others with more experience can chime in about contact frequency and what etiquette is.
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 06:26 AM   #14
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Welcome to the forum. And congrats on your engagement.
Old 28 May 2022, 08:21 AM   #15
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

I got mine after 6 months. I showed interest very early on and was told that I received the 2nd one they received. It depends on how central your AD & the country (market) you're in. I would say that you might be able to make it happen, with some explanation to the AD from your finance’s side. Congratulations!
Daniel23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 10:29 AM   #16
GTak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireCity View Post
Hi there

I'm in Canada so might be a different story, but I felt like my 7-9 month wait was a reasonable wait for the Explorer. At least you've got a better chance to make it onto a "list". Good luck with your search!
I saw your post, congrats! It looks amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
FWIW, I had good luck at the Tourneau (I guess Bucherer now?) at the Pentagon City mall, back in October 2020, getting a 126610 Sub (just months after its debut!) after waiting only maybe 8 weeks or so. New customer---hadn't bought anything there before or since, and didn't nag them at all. When I requested to get on the list it was via phone: my first time visiting the store in person was when I went to collect the watch. I talked with the SA (who was a store manager) on the phone for a while when I first inquired--maybe 10 minutes or so--and that was it. In hindsight, I think I got extremely lucky, as there might still be people waiting for this same reference who put in their names before I did. But I'd say it's worth trying them.

The Explorer, being 36mm and uncomplicated (2 things I happen to like about it!), probably won't be as difficult to acquire as a Sub.

And you might have better luck if your fiancé does the talking (assuming s/he is willing?), as it'll make for a more compelling rationale to get it done by October.

Alternatively, if you're willing to buy preowned, you can get 5-digit Explorer (which many here might agree is a superior watch in many respects!) right now for about the same or less money. Jacek at Tropical Watch has several including one with papers; also at least one 6-digit Explorer. Hunt around at the trusted vintage/preowned sites (HQ Milton, et al) and you're bound to find some competitive options.
That's good to know about the Pentagon City location, I will check it out tomorrow! And I will check out the 5 digit Explorers, I didn't know they were considered superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
P.S. Lenkersdorfer at Tyson's Corner is a Rolex AD that also deals in preowned; if you register your interest there (assuming you are willing to buy preowned), you might double your chances. And I wouldn't judge their preowned selection by their website, as, in my experience, they often have items in stock that they don't list or haven't listed yet, so it's worth asking.
That's good to know! I am not against pre-owned, but am not willing to pay more than MSRP. At the very least I can look at other options and try some on. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFFL View Post
I've also registered interest in an Explorer a couple of months ago with my AD and don't plan on making contact again. Checking in every 3-4 weeks seems a bit excessive to me personally, I'd find it rather annoying but maybe others with more experience can chime in about contact frequency and what etiquette is.
Ah ok. I see some people saying bring gifts and stuff which seems crazy. I know the ADs probably get lots of people asking, so I guess I want to balance with them knowing I am serious about wanting a watch but also not pestering them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Welcome to the forum. And congrats on your engagement.
Thank you much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23456 View Post
I got mine after 6 months. I showed interest very early on and was told that I received the 2nd one they received. It depends on how central your AD & the country (market) you're in. I would say that you might be able to make it happen, with some explanation to the AD from your finance’s side. Congratulations!
Thank you! I will definitely be bringing the fiance as a prop to help me make my case.
Old 28 May 2022, 10:41 AM   #17
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
My recommendation: it's not so much about being patient, but rather hammering home the engagement present story to the AD in a genuine way. From my experience, AD's love to connect a purchase to a meaningful occasion. Bringing your wife in to schmooze couldn't hurt either.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 10:52 AM   #18
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Two thoughts… if you are engaged, are there rings to be purchased? If so I’d buy them from an AD that you seem to connect with the best. Bring up the occasion — spend history helps, but so can future spend potential.

As one “lucky” poster mentioned, it is about what sales associate you happen upon. Go on a hectic Saturday and you get the B-team new hire and you likely get nowhere… go on a day when you connect with the manager, or the SA who is their expert guy/gal for watches, then you may have a chance.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 02:02 PM   #19
Vesper Lynd
Banned

If you wish, patience, wait, and good luck.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 03:11 PM   #20
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryFlashman View Post
Two thoughts… if you are engaged, are there rings to be purchased? If so I’d buy them from an AD that you seem to connect with the best. Bring up the occasion — spend history helps, but so can future spend potential.
Do not do this unless you actually like the rings and they are competitively priced which knowing AD’s they will not be. You will be able to source the rings at a lower price elsewhere.

Do not buy tat just to push you up the list.

The model you want will come to you a lot quicker that some of the SS models. Patience
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 04:57 PM   #21
perry mason
"TRF" Member

I had the 114270, and now own the 124270.

One could prefer the drilled lugs or the vibe or looking of 5 digit Explorers (including 114270), but in no way they could be superior to the last one.

Having said that, it’s not a very hot reference, and I would suggest you to wait (I got mine in 11 days)
perry mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 05:09 AM   #22
sovraosto
"TRF" Member

I went into my local AD on May 14th to ask about an Explorer and was told that due to low demand for the 36mm version it could arrive in several weeks to several months so I put my name at the top of the list as they had one on order. Imagine my surprise when he called on May 25th to tell me my watch was in! I was there an hour later and bought it. I live in central Florida and the snowbird season is over so there was little traffic in the store. Try a smaller AD in a smaller town. You never know.
sovraosto is offline   Reply With Quote