The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 May 2022, 04:41 AM   #331
taitun4life
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eSHprybrYzG44yDK8

Get what you love and wear ‘em…..

Last edited by taitun4life; 23 May 2022 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: Pic link not visible
taitun4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:44 PM   #332
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitun4life View Post
Damn, that thing is badass looking. I love the Enves. The yellow bar tape with that streak on the top tube is so clutch. Looks fast standing still! That a single piece stem and bar combo? I've been considering switching over as I don't have any of my bars tilted anyways but man are they pricey.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 03:43 PM   #333
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

Love reading first crit stories. They’re all so similar. Mine was the same. 12yrs ago last Tuesday was my first crit. Lasted…..5 laps? Maybe 6. 3 90* turns and 1 sweeper. Totally flat. Had been doing spirited 50mi rides 3x a week and commuting in. Figured I had the fitness.

Nope.

A month later raced what is now my favorite crit course in the country - Tulsa Brady Arts District. Got 5th because I didn’t actually know how to sprint. There I was, spinning my little heart out. Seated. I still laugh about it. To myself.

Just wait till you see the guy 10yrs older than you on an old steel bike moving gracefully through the field and finishing well. That’s the guy you want to learn from. Just remember - race fitness and tactics do not show up overnight.

PS: This was my Saturday (kinda pixelated…some F12s, an F, a Paris and Prince, and this Grevil…that I love):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 01:56 AM   #334
colpol
"TRF" Member

Nothing too fancy. Bought this in 1996.

Get it serviced every 2nd year in local bike shop. Change the tyres myself every new Year

I know if I got something else it would be 100 times better now but this does me fine

colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 12:11 PM   #335
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Love reading first crit stories. They’re all so similar. Mine was the same. 12yrs ago last Tuesday was my first crit. Lasted…..5 laps? Maybe 6. 3 90* turns and 1 sweeper. Totally flat. Had been doing spirited 50mi rides 3x a week and commuting in. Figured I had the fitness.

Nope.

A month later raced what is now my favorite crit course in the country - Tulsa Brady Arts District. Got 5th because I didn’t actually know how to sprint. There I was, spinning my little heart out. Seated. I still laugh about it. To myself.

Just wait till you see the guy 10yrs older than you on an old steel bike moving gracefully through the field and finishing well. That’s the guy you want to learn from. Just remember - race fitness and tactics do not show up overnight.

PS: This was my Saturday (kinda pixelated…some F12s, an F, a Paris and Prince, and this Grevil…that I love):

I appreciate the advice from all the Racers in this thread. I definitely laughed about the race last week, because had I not, I would've cried.

This week I didn't realize a pack had broken off the front near the end so I got stuck trying to bridge the gap at the final sprint to make the top 5 potentially this week, ended up losing steam and the 3 guys I was pulling passed me at the finish. Pushing me down to P11/24. I stayed at the front of the field for most of the race this time, got called out for not pulling which seemed like a good strategy play on my part, I ended up doing a massive pull to show I was a team player though 3 laps from the finish and that probably cost me my shot at podium tonight. It earned me brownie points with the field as noone had hard feelings after the race, I explained I had no clue whether the 6 they held up meant 6 minutes, 6 laps or what so I was trying to figure my strategy and not trying to be an ass amongst the field.

We averaged 24.9 for the 45 minute Crit. It was an absolute riot, I was so stoked just to be out there and hang with the pack and finish my first race. I didn't realize how easy it is to get dropped and ultimately screw yourself out of these races. So while I definitely played it safe after what happened last week, I definitely can see myself fighting for podium in a few weeks.
These are allegedly the toughest crits in the state, so the competition is pretty fierce. I was amazed how many people were actually out there racing tonight. The 1-3 group had to have atleast 50 riders in the field if not more.

After training so hard for this, investing so much time and money as well, it seems dumb to be so proud of such a mediocre finish. But when I realize how hard everyone else has worked to be here, I have nothing but respect for myself and everyone else who puts themselves on that track as that is just such an incredibly taxing experience.

Best of luck to everyone racing this season, better luck to anyone into cycling to tackle fitness goals, and thank you all for the positivity as last weeks loss was rather tough to swallow, despite how hilarious it had to have looked lol
Old 26 May 2022, 01:33 PM   #336
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post

After training so hard for this, investing so much time and money as well, it seems dumb to be so proud of such a mediocre finish. But when I realize how hard everyone else has worked to be here, I have nothing but respect for myself and everyone else who puts themselves on that track as that is just such an incredibly taxing experience.
Every finish is one to be proud of. After my son’s first cyclocross race (he was six), he asked me if it was okay to cry when it hurts that much. I told him that this sport will make him sweat, bleed, and cry and that’s all okay…we just don’t quit.
6537A470-C1A6-4AA7-B4EF-C5E121045FDE.jpeg
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 04:40 PM   #337
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Every finish is one to be proud of. After my son’s first cyclocross race (he was six), he asked me if it was okay to cry when it hurts that much. I told him that this sport will make him sweat, bleed, and cry and that’s all okay…we just don’t quit.
Attachment 1294759
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 09:33 PM   #338
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Attachment 1294759
I didn't realize that was your son, but I totally get where he's coming from. Theres been so many training days I finished just to lower myself into the bathtub using nothing but upper body strength because my legs are about to give out, then laying up all night with insomnia because of the throbbing muscles and I question why on earth I'm putting myself through this crap. But then the pain subsides, I set some new PRs after a recovery day or 2 and the cycle continues.

I hope your son never loses his passion for the sport, he's got such a promising career if he keeps at it. I keep trying to get my nephew who's about his age to ride with me, but he's not quite there yet �� been keeping an eye out for a small drop bar bike for him none the less.
Old 26 May 2022, 11:04 PM   #339
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Attachment 1294759
if we had like buttons, i'd like this.
Old 26 May 2022, 11:10 PM   #340
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
if we had like buttons, i'd like this.
So true. 25 mph for 45 minutes, 330ci? For me that would only happen going downhill on a paved highway from the top of a 14,000er in Colorado. Followed by a crash.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 09:38 AM   #341
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Attachment 1294759
Old 27 May 2022, 01:11 PM   #342
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Attachment 1294759
Awesome!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 01:12 AM   #343
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Can't remember if I posted in this thread or not...

gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 01:41 PM   #344
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
Wife’s carbon fiber Gary Fisher hard tail, full XTR.
My Titanium and carbon fiber Lynskey Pro29er rigid singlespeed.
My Titanium and carbon fiber Litespeed Swanee, full XTR.
And our daughter’s 1x7 Fatty!

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 07:39 PM   #345
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Can't remember if I posted in this thread
A bike so nice, you can post it twice xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
So true. 25 mph for 45 minutes, 330ci? For me that would only happen going downhill on a paved highway from the top of a 14,000er in Colorado. Followed by a crash.

When I looked at my Garmin afterwards I was like... damn thats pretty wild. Was definitely my fastest ride to date. We ended up lapping 4 people. Just an intense nerve wracking ride, but I can't get over how exciting it was. A few people video taped it, I've just been waiting for them to post this latest race. Was kinda funny watching the commentary on the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyTwoEighty View Post
Wife’s carbon fiber Gary Fisher hard tail, full XTR.
My Titanium and carbon fiber Lynskey Pro29er rigid singlespeed.

Beautiful bikes! I love titanium, those twisted tube Lynskeys are so beautiful.
Old 31 May 2022, 03:12 AM   #346
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Great ride today. The River is high and so am I [natural high] but the temps are muy caliente!
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Memorial Day 5-30-22 TRF.JPG (277.3 KB, 151 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 31 May 2022, 04:06 AM   #347
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

No mountain biking in Winter Park today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4596B2A3-7C83-4452-91EC-F5766680231A.jpeg (152.4 KB, 146 views)

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 09:24 PM   #348
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Great ride today. The River is high and so am I [natural high] but the temps are muy caliente!
dP
Good job brother! Today is going to be a hot one for us also.

I have a question for you and anyone else that can help. Cramps… a couple of weeks ago I did a 60 mile ride with about 2000 feet of climbing. Temps were in the mid 90’s and my legs cramped up pretty bad. Never happened to me before. Started with the right quad, then ham string, then both lock up and I had to get off the bike for a few. Then the same thing happened with the left leg. Then my arms. It was brutal. I drank plenty of water (4) 20oz bottles and a Gatorade. 2 nuun electrolyte tabs as well. Is it a matter of getting more hydration? Salt? The pace was very fast up until the cramps. I should also mention that I’m a big guy 6’1 295lbs

Strava
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 10:24 PM   #349
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post

I have a question for you and anyone else that can help. Cramps… a couple of weeks ago I did a 60 mile ride with about 2000 feet of climbing. Temps were in the mid 90’s and my legs cramped up pretty bad. Never happened to me before. Started with the right quad, then ham string, then both lock up and I had to get off the bike for a few. Then the same thing happened with the left leg. Then my arms. It was brutal. I drank plenty of water (4) 20oz bottles and a Gatorade. 2 nuun electrolyte tabs as well. Is it a matter of getting more hydration? Salt? The pace was very fast up until the cramps. I should also mention that I’m a big guy 6’1 295lbs

Strava
Thanks, Anthony!

Sounds like you had plenty of fluids. I'm 6'4", 177lbs and have never had an issue w/ cramping. I tend to expel twice as much fluid as I consume. I know other riders, typically heavier than me, that seem like they never need a natural break while I'm hiding behind every other tree.

Prior to my epic ride up Mt Haleakala in Maui, they gave out salt tablets and advised taking them [and drinking plenty of fluids] as cramping on a 10,000ft climb was inevitable. Never cramped on that climb either.

I'm sure there is the right formula for you, it will take time to figure out what works best for you.

Good luck & wishing you many safe miles in the saddle.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 31 May 2022, 10:28 PM   #350
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:

Seriously, I think it would be abnormal to not cramp up after 60 miles, 2,000 feet of climbing and mid 90 degree F temps. Amazing effort! Despite your fluid intake, you were likely still dehydrated due to breathing and sweating. World class athletes like NFL players will cramp up massively in hot training camp conditions.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 11:57 PM   #351
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

cramps aren't necessarily a matter of being hydrated (in the sense that you're drinking enough plain water) or not, but rather sufficient electrolytes (replacement). and if your body isn't ready before the day of, nothing you can really do during the ride will prevent cramping. it's a process learning what works for your body and what doesn't.

one thing that helped me get on the correct path was weighing myself pre and post ride. on rides that went to shit, i'd drop 7lbs+.
Old 1 June 2022, 05:09 AM   #352
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Strava

Sounds like lactic acid buildup to me. I still don't know how to avoid it. Some days I feel great after 100k some days the final 10 miles feel harder than the first 50+. I think getting a good carb load and a good meal a few hours prior to the ride the day of helps alot. Along with Nuun in my water, I usually take GU 1425mg aminos once an hour while riding. Stacker waffles are another favorite to keep stashed in my pack.

Bike #15 followed me home last night, currently set up as a single speed, but should have a new TT cockpit and 2x10 grouppo for it early next week. Looking forward to riding one of these rocket ships for the first time.

Current collection includes a Dean Duke 29er, a Dean Colonel 26er, Jamis Renegade 26er, Gary fisher cake 3 FS 26er, trek 9.8 elite 26er,paramount r60 26er, an 89 trek 660, a felt f35, a Leader Tr 735, ritchey swiss cross prototype, Ti cycles Hyak reynolds 531, Pinarello Prince SL, Pinarello Dogma 2, a 1959 Frejus Tour de France, and now my transition expert... I might have a problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_31052022_150224_(800_x_750_pixel).jpg (176.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 4 June 2022, 03:23 PM   #353
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach

When function meets form. 6/4 Titanium, billet aluminum calipers, two piece floating rotors, and custom billet aluminum Hadley hubs.

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2022, 08:09 AM   #354
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:

When function meets form. 6/4 Titanium, billet aluminum calipers, two piece floating rotors, and custom billet aluminum Hadley hubs.

Those sliding dropouts
Old 10 June 2022, 12:27 AM   #355
misasmith
"TRF" Member

Riding since 15! Now my record is 300 km ride..
misasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 12:19 AM   #356
Mcmak
Banned

Watch: 116520,126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by accce View Post
This is my Optibike R1100. Its an 1100W bike that will do 35MPH without peddling.
This is supper cool, my friend got one recently and I love it.
Mcmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 04:39 AM   #357
330ci
"TRF" Member

Collecting bikes is becoming a dangerous hobby. Running out of places to store them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_10062022_143807_(750_x_650_pixel).jpg (192.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 11 June 2022, 12:35 PM   #358
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Collecting bikes is becoming a dangerous hobby. Running out of places to store them
Even if you don't know it, that the most impressive frameset you have.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 06:27 PM   #359
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That, is beautiful!

Chapeau! to the welder.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 11:24 PM   #360
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Even if you don't know it, that the most impressive frameset you have.
I really appreciate your admiration. Its a 58 and the standover height is bordering on uncomfortable but the price was right and I plan on opening a bike museum once I get a physical location selected for my business that specializes in second hand luxury goods so I figured it would be a great addition to the collection. I spent half the day staring at it after cleaning and polishing her up yesterday. Truely a piece of functional artwork.

I'm trying to collect stuff that is unique/special. I couldn't find much info about this frame but the story of the company is rather inspirational to me as a rider, Mr Fondreist seemed to be quite the rider/entrepreneur. The quality is superb, and the paint job is a lost art so I just had to have it despite being at the top end of whats rideable by me.

I also have a chrome 1959 Frejus Torino Tour De France made with Columbus tubing (7 time tour de france winning build in the 50s) and original campagnolo groupset. A Ritchey Swiss cross prototype frame, and a TIcycles Hyak made out of Reynolds 531 that is pretty lust worthy in the steel section. Its hard picking favorites, but this bike just strikes me as special. It certainly isn't the lightest, but she shines the brightest xD not sure if you've ever ridden one, but I imagine this thing is quick and smooth. I'm honestly more excited to ride this than I was my Dogma when it arrived

Also Sorry about all the posts everybody. I kinda got into cycling through this forum and have become more passionate about it then watches so I get excited anytime it comes up and love seeing everyone's gear and talking about riding in general.