The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 2 December 2021, 12:13 PM   #1
Double"O"7
"TRF" Member

Legit Check on this 16700 pepsi please

Hello, recently purchased this 16700 “Pepsi”, first things first the seller is reputable, but I figure it is always good to have it triple check. The watch came with its original warranty paper (the serial number does match with the serial number on the warranty paper), it is an “U” series. The seller stated that the watch is ALL original (no replacement on the case, bezel, bezel-insert, hands or dial), he also guaranteed me that the watch had never been polished. So just want to hear you guys opinion about the watch, was what the seller said about the watch being ALL original and unpolished true too?
Double"O"7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 09:41 PM   #2
Double"O"7
"TRF" Member

Here are more pictures ht(space)tps://imgur(dot)com/a/neu56ak
Old 3 December 2021, 09:27 AM   #3
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double"O"7 View Post
The seller stated that the watch is ALL original (no replacement on the case, bezel, bezel-insert, hands or dial), he also guaranteed me that the watch had never been polished. So just want to hear you guys opinion about the watch, was what the seller said about the watch being ALL original and unpolished true too?
Looking through the pics, there a couple signs of very light / touch-up polishing. Relatively insignificant, IMO.

Also, the bezel insert is authentic, but may or may not be original. The 16700 came with both black and red/blue bezel inserts.
However, there have been a lot that came from the factory with black inserts that have since been swapped out for the "Pepsi" variant by the original and/or subsequent owners.
Again, not really a big deal, IMO.

If your papers happen to be the non-punched variety that list the complete model number, that can at least tell you what bezel color it came with from the factory.

All that being said, it looks like a very nice example of a late-90's "Swiss only" 16700. Congrats!
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 11:05 AM   #4
Double"O"7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Looking through the pics, there a couple signs of very light / touch-up polishing. Relatively insignificant, IMO.

Also, the bezel insert is authentic, but may or may not be original. The 16700 came with both black and red/blue bezel inserts.
However, there have been a lot that came from the factory with black inserts that have since been swapped out for the "Pepsi" variant by the original and/or subsequent owners.
Again, not really a big deal, IMO.

If your papers happen to be the non-punched variety that list the complete model number, that can at least tell you what bezel color it came with from the factory.

All that being said, it looks like a very nice example of a late-90's "Swiss only" 16700. Congrats!
Thanks for the response, the paper work that came with the box is the punched ver. and also in Japanese.. so no clue where to go from there. If this watch does turns out to be the black inserts factory variant would that de value the watch in anyway?
Old 3 December 2021, 11:25 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Ask the seller how he knows the insert is original.
Old 4 December 2021, 04:40 AM   #6
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double"O"7 View Post
Thanks for the response, the paper work that came with the box is the punched ver. and also in Japanese.. so no clue where to go from there. If this watch does turns out to be the black inserts factory variant would that de value the watch in anyway?
No.

If it was an aftermarket insert, sure I'd factor in a few hundred dollars into the purchase price. However, the insert in question is genuine and is of the color and style (thin non-serif) that is correct for that watch.

If it's something that really bugs you, you can send it off/bring it in to an RSC for a service estimate. Though, unless they confirm that it left the factory as a black-bezel model, you'd be back to square-one anyway.

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. It's a great looking watch.
Old 6 December 2021, 06:23 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
For me, I would expect a serif insert on a 1998 GMT. Also, I have found that a GMT 16700/16710 with a "Pepsi" insert does sell for a little more that one found with the black insert.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 09:15 AM   #8
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Here’s my 16700 X serial that I bought from AD in 1994 for comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 09:16 AM   #9
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

I think yours looks nice; can’t offer any insight into bezel but agree with prior comments.

Old 14 December 2021, 01:51 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Below is a GMT 16700 with an "A" serial number (circa 1998) that is new old stock, never worn with the original stickers.

It has the serif insert.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 14 December 2021, 01:54 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

GGGMT, your insert is quite interesting since it came into use much later than the X serial numbers. Even the serif insert was in use before your insert.

Old 14 December 2021, 02:03 PM   #12
Double"O"7
"TRF" Member

An update, finally have chance to bring my watch to Ron Gordon of NYC for a check, although he don't do authenticated paper work, He told me the watch is authentic and it is one of the best he had seen in a while. So there is my peace of mind, also thanks everybody here for the help!.
Old 14 December 2021, 04:24 PM   #13
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
GGGMT, your insert is quite interesting since it came into use much later than the X serial numbers. Even the serif insert was in use before your insert.
Yeah, there must have been some serious overlap with the inserts during this period. I have a factory print ad somewhere that shows a 16700 with a thin non-serif insert (as per the OP's and GGGMT's examples).
I've seen 16700s with 2 other insert variations as well (thin serif and fat serif).
Old 15 December 2021, 10:06 AM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Yeah, there must have been some serious overlap with the inserts during this period. I have a factory print ad somewhere that shows a 16700 with a thin non-serif insert (as per the OP's and GGGMT's examples).
I've seen 16700s with 2 other insert variations as well (thin serif and fat serif).
I have seen 16700s and 16710s with different variations of inserts - there are basically three different insert variations. The one in GGGMTs was not used during the X range of serial numbers. Probably not until the early 2000 range.

Nothing wrong with having an insert changed out since it doesn't affect the value that much....but, there are hundreds of collectors here, there and elsewhere that go into panic mode, shock or heart palpitations if something on their watch isn't period correct.

Below is an original dealer display with the same photo being used in magazine advertisements for the GMT-MASTER 16700. The insert is the first variation that I described.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full size.sm.jpg (105.5 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Img_0603.resized.large.small.jpg (80.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Img_0604.small.jpg (81.1 KB, 204 views)

Old 16 December 2021, 02:21 PM   #15
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This is very interesting indeed. I’m no expert on inserts so I’d love to learn more; I’m the first and only owner of this watch, and I believe it’s been serviced only once, maybe around early 2000s but I don’t recall an insert replacement. What’s difft about a regular X serial insert and the one on my 16700?

Thank you!

Old 16 December 2021, 02:24 PM   #16
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have seen 16700s and 16710s with different variations of inserts - there are basically three different insert variations. The one in GGGMTs was not used during the X range of serial numbers. Probably not until the early 2000 range.

Nothing wrong with having an insert changed out since it doesn't affect the value that much....but, there are hundreds of collectors here, there and elsewhere that go into panic mode, shock or heart palpitations if something on their watch isn't period correct.

Below is an original dealer display with the same photo being used in magazine advertisements for the GMT-MASTER 16700. The insert is the first variation that I described.

Ah just saw this follow up. So the insert in this photo would’ve been the one pertinent to an X serial?