The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18 January 2022, 11:28 PM   #1
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Wall Street journal article?

Last night while watching TV the girlfriend is scrolling on her phone and blurts out “there’s an article about watches being fakes in movies”. Of course my interest is peaked, although I’m already aware most of them are fakes on the big screen, I’m still interested in anything about things that tik. So she starts reading it out loud to me from across the couch. I was pretty impressed she pronounces Patek Philippe with a sense of “yeah I know what those are” but Audemars Piguet is still one I enjoy hearing her struggle with in a cute way. The article focuses on some big ticket watches in featured in films and why they choose fakes due to insurance and risks. Wouldn’t the brands prefer to be represented truthfully and not glorify the replica underworld? If people know Jonah Hill is wearing a fake Richard Mille in “Don’t look up” won’t that send the message to some that fakes are totally okay? I wish I could say I’m all for people being into watches no matter what, but on this subject I can’t. I remember several years ago when getting into luxury watches and not being able to afford them yet. The thought of going fake never crossed my mind. I would rather buy what’s in my financial comfort over something trying to be something it’s not. I also think this article brings unwanted attention to an industry that’s already over saturated with media coverage on the internet. I believe these to be the bigger picture reasons to our struggle for getting watches allocated. It’s great for the Swiss watch industry, but terrible for the collectors. I got into watches pre the Paul Newman auction and I noticed a huge surge in social media coverage being right when that happened. With every crazy auction watch war there is now a surge on social media and the market. Bringing more people into the hobby that mostly follow hype trends because they see money signs. I guess I would just prefer it if this stuff stayed the way it was several years ago. Before Instagram had a “rollie” hashtag that was thousands of photos strong of pure flex photos. Or seeing articles written about how much an actors fake watch would be if it was real. Just brings unwanted attention that makes it harder for us to get the watches we so desperately want to enjoy.
Old 18 January 2022, 11:40 PM   #2
Feb_29
"TRF" Member

It sims that they use live ammo more often than real watches in the movies.
Old 18 January 2022, 11:40 PM   #3
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb_29 View Post
Too soon...
Old 18 January 2022, 11:43 PM   #4
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Doesn't bother me. Its a movie, everything is fake..
Old 18 January 2022, 11:46 PM   #5
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
Quote:
Ouch
Old 19 January 2022, 12:07 AM   #6
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
Last night while watching TV the girlfriend is scrolling on her phone and blurts out “there’s an article about watches being fakes in movies”. Of course my interest is peaked, although I’m already aware most of them are fakes on the big screen, I’m still interested in anything about things that tik. So she starts reading it out loud to me from across the couch. I was pretty impressed she pronounces Patek Philippe with a sense of “yeah I know what those are” but Audemars Piguet is still one I enjoy hearing her struggle with in a cute way. The article focuses on some big ticket watches in featured in films and why they choose fakes due to insurance and risks. Wouldn’t the brands prefer to be represented truthfully and not glorify the replica underworld? If people know Jonah Hill is wearing a fake Richard Mille in “Don’t look up” won’t that send the message to some that fakes are totally okay? I wish I could say I’m all for people being into watches no matter what, but on this subject I can’t. I remember several years ago when getting into luxury watches and not being able to afford them yet. The thought of going fake never crossed my mind. I would rather buy what’s in my financial comfort over something trying to be something it’s not. I also think this article brings unwanted attention to an industry that’s already over saturated with media coverage on the internet. I believe these to be the bigger picture reasons to our struggle for getting watches allocated. It’s great for the Swiss watch industry, but terrible for the collectors. I got into watches pre the Paul Newman auction and I noticed a huge surge in social media coverage being right when that happened. With every crazy auction watch war there is now a surge on social media and the market. Bringing more people into the hobby that mostly follow hype trends because they see money signs. I guess I would just prefer it if this stuff stayed the way it was several years ago. Before Instagram had a “rollie” hashtag that was thousands of photos strong of pure flex photos. Or seeing articles written about how much an actors fake watch would be if it was real. Just brings unwanted attention that makes it harder for us to get the watches we so desperately want to enjoy.

Speak for yourself.
I have no idea why you are so desperate,or why you attract unwanted attention.Have you asked your friends what you do wrong?

Personally I feel neither
Old 19 January 2022, 12:09 AM   #7
vipergts
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Old 19 January 2022, 12:11 AM   #8
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:
Spot on!
Old 19 January 2022, 12:28 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
TL;DR

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 19 January 2022, 12:35 AM   #10
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMediaUser View Post
Speak for yourself.
I have no idea why you are so desperate,or why you attract unwanted attention.Have you asked your friends what you do wrong?

Personally I feel neither
Wow. Well firstly welcome to the forum. See you’re a new member as of this month. Secondly if you’re just getting to the party watches are kind of hard to get at the moment. Which even in your short time here I’m sure you’ve learned. By “desperately” I am referring to the struggle collectors are faced with now compared to several years ago. I’d like to continue my hobby but the hype makes it hard.
Old 19 January 2022, 12:43 AM   #11
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
Wow. Well firstly welcome to the forum. See you’re a new member as of this month. Secondly if you’re just getting to the party watches are kind of hard to get at the moment. Which even in your short time here I’m sure you’ve learned. By “desperately” I am referring to the struggle collectors are faced with now compared to several years ago. I’d like to continue my hobby but the hype makes it hard.
Thank you for the welcome.
Yes I finally gave in and regiseterad an account after years on other forums in my native tounge and only reading foregin language ones,but rarely or never posting.

I know the current watchmarket. You can get any watch you desire tomorrow.
There is no shortage whatsoever,unless you mean you want a business to hand you money without getting anything in return.
Why would they do that? Not anything I would ever expect or think was normal.

Why a collector would struggle as you say I cannot phanthom. They also know this market and surely understand,unless again they want someone to give them free money.

I do not see the hype making anything hard. Quite the opposite.

Now I can buy anything I desire,but I will pay market value. And I have no problems with that as tomorrow todays price was a bargin
Old 19 January 2022, 12:56 AM   #12
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMediaUser View Post
Thank you for the welcome.
Yes I finally gave in and regiseterad an account after years on other forums in my native tounge and only reading foregin language ones,but rarely or never posting.

I know the current watchmarket. You can get any watch you desire tomorrow.
There is no shortage whatsoever,unless you mean you want a business to hand you money without getting anything in return.
Why would they do that? Not anything I would ever expect or think was normal.

Why a collector would struggle as you say I cannot phanthom. They also know this market and surely understand,unless again they want someone to give them free money.

I do not see the hype making anything hard. Quite the opposite.

Now I can buy anything I desire,but I will pay market value. And I have no problems with that as tomorrow todays price was a bargin
After looking at your previous posts and comments I can see you’re an internet troll so this will be the last interaction I have with you. I don’t buy grey market anymore. It only makes the problem worse. Everyone is entitled to their actions and desires and more power to you if you’d prefer doing that and you can totally have anything you like the next day. I’ve done it in the past. Not the same for me personally nor do I think it’s worth it price wise. I don’t own a Daytona because I don’t like them. Wouldn’t pay retail for it when I had the chance because it’s just not for me. So instead of buying to resell and perpetrate the problem I let it go to a person that hopefully wanted it to wear and enjoy. Best wishes on your trolling. Oh last thing. In regards to an earlier post you made asking if Rolex use batteries. Except for the Oysterquartz, they in fact do not. Cheers
Old 19 January 2022, 12:59 AM   #13
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

There was a show my wife was watching few years back and one of the main guys had a hulk. I paused it, and it was one of the worst fakes I have seen.
Old 19 January 2022, 01:00 AM   #14
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I also hear that in movies some actors pretend to be ethnicities and genders that they aren’t.
Old 19 January 2022, 01:01 AM   #15
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
After looking at your previous posts and comments I can see you’re an internet troll so this will be the last interaction I have with you. I don’t buy grey market anymore. It only makes the problem worse. Everyone is entitled to their actions and desires and more power to you if you’d prefer doing that and you can totally have anything you like the next day. I’ve done it in the past. Not the same for me personally nor do I think it’s worth it price wise. I don’t own a Daytona because I don’t like them. Wouldn’t pay retail for it when I had the chance because it’s just not for me. So instead of buying to resell and perpetrate the problem I let it go to a person that hopefully wanted it to wear and enjoy. Best wishes on your trolling. Oh last thing. In regards to an earlier post you made asking if Rolex use batteries. Except for the Oysterquartz, they in fact do not. Cheers
Wow....

Personal attacs I do not belive is the way to go Sir.
You may dissagree with me but keep it civil.

You do what floats your boat,and I do what floats mine. Time is more valuable to me then money.

Remeber Live and let live Buddy. Enjoy your day
Old 19 January 2022, 01:02 AM   #16
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Old 19 January 2022, 01:15 AM   #17
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Mic drop.
Old 19 January 2022, 01:21 AM   #18
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Makes sense...why would they want expensive watches around on the set, they are too easy for someone to steal.
Old 19 January 2022, 01:51 AM   #19
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Makes sense...why would they want expensive watches around on the set, they are too easy for someone to steal.
Correct.

Also, I dont think anybody can spot a fake watch in a movie.

I wonder if Baldwins Rolex in the famous "Glenn Garry, Glen Ross" scene was fake
Old 19 January 2022, 01:54 AM   #20
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I also hear that in movies some actors pretend to be ethnicities and genders that they aren’t.
It's not just in movies...
Old 19 January 2022, 02:14 AM   #21
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Shocking.
Old 19 January 2022, 02:41 AM   #22
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
We're not allowed to talk about pitiful fakes. They should all be destroyed AFAIC.
Old 19 January 2022, 02:46 AM   #23
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
We're not allowed to talk about pitiful fakes. They should all be destroyed AFAIC.
That’s where I stand on it. I just feel like if you’re not gonna use the real thing, don’t use anything at all
Old 19 January 2022, 03:18 AM   #24
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

When there was a Faberge egg in Oceans 13, should they have used a real one? Do you think they should have wrecked at real Shelby GT500 in Gone in Sixty Seconds?
They are movies. Literally everything is fake.
Old 19 January 2022, 03:41 AM   #25
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Interesting topic OP. I presume most watches in movies these days would not be genuine, just like almost everything else in the movie. Between sets, green screens and the like I’m not sure how much is real in movies (I’d bet the percentage is quite low). Hell, even the actors and actresses are probably enhanced in one way or another.

This leads to my question though.

Let’s say the actor or the actress is a watch person with a nice collection. Do they wear their own watch? Do they detest the replicas as much as the rest of us and insist on it being genuine? Is there potential insurance issues with real watches being used in certain scenes where a watch could be damaged?

Example would be Charlie Sheen in “two and a half men”. Nearly every scene he is wearing a Rolex of some sort, I’d presume they’re his personal watches and just happened to be what he was wearing that day on set.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
Old 19 January 2022, 04:09 AM   #26
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
Doesn't bother me. Its a movie, everything is fake..
Not true.

During the filming of the movie "Hateful Eight", Kurt Russell smashed a very expensive and very rare 1870s Martin guitar. The guitar was lent to the production in order to add authenticity to the western movie, but look what happened. Although insurance eventually paid for the expensive guitar ($60,000), Martin & Co said they will never lend an authentic vintage guitar for movie use ever again.

Kurt Russell was supposed to smash the fake guitar but before they could replace the real one, he already did his "scene".

p.s. I collect vintage Martin guitars.

Old 19 January 2022, 05:47 AM   #27
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
Its a movie, everything is fake..
Wait. Are you saying Alderaan might not have actually been destroyed?
Old 19 January 2022, 06:35 AM   #28
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Old 19 January 2022, 07:07 AM   #29
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxjedi View Post
Not true.

During the filming of the movie "Hateful Eight", Kurt Russell smashed a very expensive and very rare 1870s Martin guitar. The guitar was lent to the production in order to add authenticity to the western movie, but look what happened. Although insurance eventually paid for the expensive guitar ($60,000), Martin & Co said they will never lend an authentic vintage guitar for movie use ever again.

Kurt Russell was supposed to smash the fake guitar but before they could replace the real one, he already did his "scene".

p.s. I collect vintage Martin guitars.

That was pretty heartbreaking. You could see the look on the girl's face as he smashed the guitar. She knew it was the real one.
Old 19 January 2022, 07:25 AM   #30
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I've written this before about movie watches....

Unless they are product placement or the actor has a lot of pull with the producers the prop people supply watches to use in movies. Actors don't wear their own clothes to the set or bring their own cars either.

A particular watch MAY be used to enhance the character portrayed in the movie but in most cases it's just a prop watch.

And another reason for prop watches is that they don't run/work for a reason. When shooting a scene which may take hours or all day, they shoot a master establishing shot to 'set the scene" and they run all the lines for that scene. Then the relight the scene and do a closer shot of the same lines being run, then they re-light and do point of view shots (POV) from the back or side of one actor as he is talking to the other actor and then they re-light and do it the other way as well.

When all this is shot which can take many hours, the actual scene in a movie may be only a few minutes and if the watch is clearly shown, they want the time to reflect the actual time of the scene, not the 5 or 6 hours later that it took to shoot the scene. The editor in the editing room takes all the material and cuts it into one cohesive scene.

It's the same as a drink in a glass or back when people smoked that as the scene is cut from master to close ups the amount in the glass and or the amount of the cigarette that has been smoked needs to be the same. (Lots of times it isn't)

The watches before every setup is controlled by the prop person so the correct time is set for the scene and after the scene is shot or end of day the propmaster takes all the props from the day shooting and stores them.

Hope this helps.