The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2022, 02:04 PM   #1
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Younger forum members, help me understand…..

Why does everyone under 30 seemingly try to look homeless now? What is thrifting? Why do I feel like an old man wearing a Oxford shirt? Who thinks shoes with 6” thick soles look good? This is very different than I ever remember before. Sure in the 90’s and 2000’s there were some goofy trends but nothing like this. Everyone just looks awful. Beyond confused Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 02:13 PM   #2
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
I’m pushing 40, but haven’t noticed younger people trying to look like hobos. The concerning trend to me is that the fashion/style of the 1980s seems to be making a come back. Heaven help us.
BLACKHORSE 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 02:23 PM   #3
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Seems the messy trend is prevalent here too, but i think it’s more “lazy” than “messy”.

All trends go full circle

I do hope ladies’ super low waisted jeans come back around before I’m too old to enjoy the spectacle though.

Old 11 January 2022, 02:39 PM   #4
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
My son is 25. I recently gave him my old Levi's jean jacket that I wore 20-30+ years ago.
He's not trying to look messy though. It's just another article in the wardrobe.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 02:50 PM   #5
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
34 here, try to keep it simple and classic 99% of the time.
Old 11 January 2022, 03:02 PM   #6
Thug
"TRF" Member

I don't really see many trying to look homeless tbh.

As for thrifting, there's much more attention to things like sustainability & waste in the past decade.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 03:29 PM   #7
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

My 32 year old nephew recently posted on social media how two girls commented to him in downtown LA that he looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. His picture sadly confirmed this.

Yet he complains that he hasn‘t been able to find a career or a woman.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 03:31 PM   #8
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
I try to look homeless because recently there are strings of follow-home robberies here in L.A.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...es-los-angeles

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/lap...ome-robberies/
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 04:35 PM   #9
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I think young people have a right to awkwardly work out what their personal style is and follow questionable trends.

I’m guessing all your questions were rhetorical, but I like oxford shirts too, and old style shoes like Alden penny loafers, not thick-soles shoes. Thrifting still appeals to me: looking through charity shops for a vintage sports coat or silk knit ties.

If the younger crowd looks so bad, you should just feel like you look better, not older?
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 04:37 PM   #10
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Last year, took several boxes of food down to a nearby, church foodbank.
It was fairly early in the morning and I hadn't showered and shaved yet.
Also just threw on the day before's shorts and shirt.
The boxes had a lot of cans and jars, making them pretty heavy, so when I got there, before unloading anything, went inside to see if they had a cart I could use.
When I walked in, the ladies working there took one look at me and figured I was there to make a withdrawl rather than a deposit.

Moral of the story: The bum look isn't necessarily age specific.
Old 11 January 2022, 07:12 PM   #11
330ci
"TRF" Member

I'm 27, I specialize in second hand luxury goods for a living and have been an avid thrifter since I was just a small lad.
I don't think most would think I'm "homeless" lately I've been wearing a Schott Shearling jacket that goes for $300-1000 used.(pd $83) Today I'm wearing a dior sweater, some jeans off the clearance rack at TJ Maxx, and some Nike SBs i bought at a garage sale that might have been worn once for $2. The sterling bracelet on my wrist, handmade in Mexico set me back $1, the Burberry watch above it, $200 OTD at the local pawn shop. My hat lately has been a hand stitched beanie from presumably Africa, another thrift store find for $3.

All told, my daily wardrobe would retail upwards of $4k, meanwhile I've got $315 into it and with the labels I find i could flip my wardrobe for some decent profit, but for me, I just enjoy them.

Part of thrifting though is the experience, its a game of chance to an extent, its not the same as going down to the local mall or ordering something offline, it gives people a chance to express themselves through contrasting fashion senses and pushing the boundaries of what is socially acceptable at times. Its a step in the right direction towards a more sustainable future and to people like me, its a profitable industry.

As the old adage goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure." Personally I find this gender exclusive, so il'l just throw out this more gender neutral "one person's trash is another person's treasure" feel free to use the terminology in the future :) it will go well with that Oxford shirt ;) *sarcasm*

When I head out to a thrift shop, garage or estate sale, antique store, auction or pawn shop, I never know what I will find. But buying second hand has shown me that not only can I retain the bulk of what little wealth this peon has, but grow it exponentially rather quickly. I made over $100k selling other people's junk last year and I'm aiming to make a quarter mil this year. Just started off the year with a new record week raking in $8,700, approx $7,500 of which was profit. Normally get 2-400% returns but had a good score at the end of the year.

So I guess it allows me to live above my means without living above my means, I don't necessarily fit the "homeless" bill myself, but those are my people, and most of us are just out here having fun, whether its your barista who looks like she's in an 80s rap video, her hippie boyfriend who hasn't bathed in years, or me rocking a vintage schott jacket with some Bausch and lomb Raybans, we've all found our fix in the markets of disposed goods.

For me, I really can't fathom buying a majority of things new. The only reason I buy certain things new is its usually cheaper/the same price as thrift shops. Unless it's food, I don't pay retail for anything. When Twink mentioned he paid retail for his Sparco steering wheel in Tokyo drift, I felt a connection with him in my soul. As truely there are very few things in life I can justify doing that for.

TLDR;Noone thinks 6" platforms look good
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 08:01 PM   #12
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
TBH, I don't regard the fashion of today, "scruffy," I think it is more comfortable. Good for them.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 10:27 PM   #13
airchitect
"TRF" Member

All enlightening post. We’ve been in Nashville for the past few days which has experienced a huge influx of stylish Californians since I left a decade ago. Walking around it’s just blowing my mind that the idea of being put together now is absolutely not looking put together. So the thrifting thing I get…..sustainability. That’s reasonable. The comfort thing I can appreciate. I think it’s just the fact everything (old or new) looks so mismatched and delightfully tacky. I was in Gucci a couple days ago and the only thing I would’ve contemplated leaving with were some shoes. Everything else screamed wealthy poor taste. Took my kids into Abercrombie. Man, that’s definitely not what it was in the 90’s. This thread came up because a girl there started telling me about the trends. She said the 90’s are back! Low rise are coming back! Mom jeans are back! But the thing is, I was there. I don’t remember much of this. Maybe the worst parts of the 90’s are back? Will people be wearing long sleeve. t-shirts under short sleeve ones soon? Cargo pants? Parachute pants? Three polos stacked over each other?

Anyway. I feel like everyone looks insanely awful even if they are comfortable. Okay my rant is over.

Disclaimer: just passed 40. I’m looking through geriatric lenses now.

Old 11 January 2022, 10:45 PM   #14
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Younger forum members, help me understand…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I'm 27, I specialize in second hand luxury goods for a living and have been an avid thrifter since I was just a small lad.
I don't think most would think I'm "homeless" lately I've been wearing a Schott Shearling jacket that goes for $300-1000 used.(pd $83) Today I'm wearing a dior sweater, some jeans off the clearance rack at TJ Maxx, and some Nike SBs i bought at a garage sale that might have been worn once for $2. The sterling bracelet on my wrist, handmade in Mexico set me back $1, the Burberry watch above it, $200 OTD at the local pawn shop. My hat lately has been a hand stitched beanie from presumably Africa, another thrift store find for $3.

All told, my daily wardrobe would retail upwards of $4k, meanwhile I've got $315 into it and with the labels I find i could flip my wardrobe for some decent profit, but for me, I just enjoy them.

Part of thrifting though is the experience, its a game of chance to an extent, its not the same as going down to the local mall or ordering something offline, it gives people a chance to express themselves through contrasting fashion senses and pushing the boundaries of what is socially acceptable at times. Its a step in the right direction towards a more sustainable future and to people like me, its a profitable industry.

As the old adage goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure." Personally I find this gender exclusive, so il'l just throw out this more gender neutral "one person's trash is another person's treasure" feel free to use the terminology in the future :) it will go well with that Oxford shirt ;) *sarcasm*

When I head out to a thrift shop, garage or estate sale, antique store, auction or pawn shop, I never know what I will find. But buying second hand has shown me that not only can I retain the bulk of what little wealth this peon has, but grow it exponentially rather quickly. I made over $100k selling other people's junk last year and I'm aiming to make a quarter mil this year. Just started off the year with a new record week raking in $8,700, approx $7,500 of which was profit. Normally get 2-400% returns but had a good score at the end of the year.

So I guess it allows me to live above my means without living above my means, I don't necessarily fit the "homeless" bill myself, but those are my people, and most of us are just out here having fun, whether its your barista who looks like she's in an 80s rap video, her hippie boyfriend who hasn't bathed in years, or me rocking a vintage schott jacket with some Bausch and lomb Raybans, we've all found our fix in the markets of disposed goods.

For me, I really can't fathom buying a majority of things new. The only reason I buy certain things new is its usually cheaper/the same price as thrift shops. Unless it's food, I don't pay retail for anything. When Twink mentioned he paid retail for his Sparco steering wheel in Tokyo drift, I felt a connection with him in my soul. As truely there are very few things in life I can justify doing that for.

Great post!! I second the fun of thrifting. I don’t resell per se, however every time I go thrifting it’s like a treasure hunt.

Op, I am quite frugal when I buy things for myself. I routinely shop at thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales and the like. I haven’t purchased clothing from a retail store for myself that wasn’t clearance rack in a long time. I lived on very meager means when I was young, I simply can’t justify spending exorbitant amounts of money when I know there are other options. This also ensures I can treat those I love with whatever they want and I can continue to feel secure with my finances.

I am 37 btw and do not look homeless most of the time (besides my haircut since my barber died).

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 10:46 PM   #15
Thug
"TRF" Member

90s have been back for a few years (see Aime Leon Dore [old NY] and Fear of God [old Armani vibes])

That said most pants I see are not low rise. It will be back at some point but not today.

The landscape of fashion has also changed since with the internet everything is accessible. Twenty years ago, styles can be very region specific since you weren’t necessarily able to view what others across the world are wearing. Now with Instagram I can see what this person in LA or Tokyo or London is wearing before I see what my neighbor is wearing. I think there’s space for each niche to coexist and am glad for it. Forget chasing what is “in” and just find your personal style. If that’s dressing in all Rick Owens or workwear style via Engineered Garments / adjacent brands then I’m all for it.
Old 11 January 2022, 11:16 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Idk man what could be worse than the double and triple polos with popped collars. Rather they look homeless than bring that back. I think every decade has some absolutely awful trends. I probably look homeless too as I shave maybe twice a week lol
Old 11 January 2022, 11:35 PM   #17
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I was at Neiman Marcus the other day looking at mens shoes and the vast majority of shoes they had, for me are unwearable. The Ferragamo's were put off to the side and front and center were dozens on these obnoxious huge platform shiny things that resembled a cross between a sneaker and boot. I don't get it.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 11:38 PM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I am no young buck at this point as ill be 48 in a few months.

That said, I used to very much try and look clean cut and professional.

Lately, it is all about comfort.

I found these Lulu lemon pants that look sort of like slacks. I see dudes in them all the time. sometimes paired with a blazer. Yet, I could bang out some squats anytime of the day in these suckers. I bought enough pairs that I wear them every day. I also wear a Lulu Lemon hoodie every day. If it is nice out, it is a nice t-shirt.

For me, comfort is paramount. I went to a Christmas party like this and got called out. I cared not one bit. Comfort is the way.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 11:43 PM   #19
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Idk man what could be worse than the double and triple polos with popped collars. Rather they look homeless than bring that back. I think every decade has some absolutely awful trends. I probably look homeless too as I shave maybe twice a week lol
Basically stop shaving in November and resume that practice when the snow thaws myself
Old 11 January 2022, 11:46 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post

I’m in my 50’s and didn’t even realize I’m sort of doing this …. I call it vintage clothing shoppping

I generally buy new because I’m impatient, and I prefer new over used, but every now and again I’ll go into a vintage clothing store and score a great pair of jeans, or an interesting jacket. Some of these things you just can’t buy new anymore. Problem is, it’s usually as expensive as new.

Good on you, and good luck in your business
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 11:51 PM   #21
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m in my 50’s and didn’t even realize I’m sort of doing this …. I call it vintage clothing shoppping

I generally buy new because I’m impatient, and I prefer new over used, but every now and again I’ll go into a vintage clothing store and score a great pair of jeans, or an interesting jacket. Some of these things you just can’t buy new anymore. Problem is, it’s usually as expensive as new.

Good on you, and good luck in your business
I appreciate it, if this doesn't work out, I'll update yall on what its like to really be homeless

Fortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 12 January 2022, 12:37 AM   #22
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I am no young buck at this point as ill be 48 in a few months.

That said, I used to very much try and look clean cut and professional.

Lately, it is all about comfort.

I found these Lulu lemon pants that look sort of like slacks. I see dudes in them all the time. sometimes paired with a blazer. Yet, I could bang out some squats anytime of the day in these suckers. I bought enough pairs that I wear them every day. I also wear a Lulu Lemon hoodie every day. If it is nice out, it is a nice t-shirt.

For me, comfort is paramount. I went to a Christmas party like this and got called out. I cared not one bit. Comfort is the way.

My wife mentioned something like this yesterday. She wanted me to go in there but I refused Guess I may have to take a look now. On the daily I, like many, am in jogging attire, but when I go out in public it’s generally not going down that way. It’s just too messy. Seems that what I’m viewing as a sloppy mess is people just trying to be comfortable and “themselves”. Maybe I could pull off a dri-fit T-shirt, some fitted jogging pants and some velvet horsebits? More I think about it maybe I could get into the nuttiness

Old 12 January 2022, 01:02 AM   #23
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
My wife mentioned something like this yesterday. She wanted me to go in there but I refused Guess I may have to take a look now. On the daily I, like many, am in jogging attire, but when I go out in public it’s generally not going down that way. It’s just too messy. Seems that what I’m viewing as a sloppy mess is people just trying to be comfortable and “themselves”. Maybe I could pull off a dri-fit T-shirt, some fitted jogging pants and some velvet horsebits? More I think about it maybe I could get into the nuttiness

Tell you what, this brand is as popular as it is, for a reason.

And they are brilliant. They came up with wear to work stuff that is super comfortable and very high quality.

Being in the yoga world, I actually hate that I love their stuff so much....but I do.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 01:26 AM   #24
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
34 here, try to keep it simple and classic 99% of the time.

Best way to go

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:58 AM   #25
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Taking a jab at the younger crowd for wearing clothes and clothing styles that were made popular by the older crowd when they were younger... Seems weird..

Maybe people want to have their own style and wear what is comfortable. I say have at it and enjoy your own style... If there is a style I don't understand... Well, I don't need to if I am not going to wear it.

Many people do not understand why people wear ridiculously overpriced jewelry on their wrists that are far less accurate than a cell phone or a $20 Timex but here we are doing what we want. :)
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 04:02 AM   #26
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
I look like a homeless guy because I spent all my money on Wilsdorf watches.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 12 January 2022, 04:04 AM   #27
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am 34… …. …. In Saturn years, but anyway I understand what you are saying. I enjoy watching videos of cities on Youtube during the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s. I notice how everyone is always dressed nicely and looking so… “Classy.” IMHO, the buildings, the cars, everything was just more… Classy; I don’t know how else to describe it. The men were wearing suits and ties and looked impeccable, the women dresses and looking HOT. Now, I am a lazy SOB, and I don’t want to put on a suit and tie to go to the grocery store, but I also feel I shouldn’t enter a public place looking I just came out of the coal mine either. I don’t know….
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 04:13 AM   #28
Thug
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am 34… …. …. In Saturn years, but anyway I understand what you are saying. I enjoy watching videos of cities on Youtube during the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s. I notice how everyone is always dressed nicely and looking so… “Classy.” IMHO, the buildings, the cars, everything was just more… Classy; I don’t know how else to describe it. The men were wearing suits and ties and looked impeccable, the women dresses and looking HOT. Now, I am a lazy SOB, and I don’t want to put on a suit and tie to go to the grocery store, but I also feel I shouldn’t enter a public place looking I just came out of the coal mine either. I don’t know….
FWIW a 2 piece suit today = business formal. However, a century ago it was seen as casual, essentially how sweatpants & hoodies are viewed now.

Pics of great grandparents or grandparents may show them as “dressy” or “classy” in today’s view but I’m not sure their grandparents had the same view.
Old 12 January 2022, 04:15 AM   #29
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
FWIW a 2 piece suit today = business formal. However, a century ago it was seen as casual, essentially how sweatpants & hoodies are viewed now.
Agreed. I also think back then the manufacturing of clothing was not very advanced so the options were even more limited. Suits were uniform and easy to make.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 04:44 AM   #30
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Why does everyone under 30 seemingly try to look homeless now? What is thrifting? Why do I feel like an old man wearing a Oxford shirt? Who thinks shoes with 6” thick soles look good? This is very different than I ever remember before. Sure in the 90’s and 2000’s there were some goofy trends but nothing like this. Everyone just looks awful. Beyond confused Please advise.

Yeah when I read this post I thought I can see your point, however I’m pretty sure our parents would’ve also said the same things with how we dressed, I see it as not the case that the young ones aren’t trendy it’s merely us getting old, so my take on it is if they’re happy let them do it the young ones get enough grief these days so, live and let live
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote