The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2022, 11:43 PM   #91
Yobber76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
There is nothing wrong with the Explorer but I would consider the Submariner a more "necessary" watch in a collection. As for size and comfort, I would choose a DJ 36 or 41 over the Explorer.
But to each his own, enjoy.
Yobber76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 11:59 PM   #92
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The only thing every collection needs is what the collectors want in it.

I've never understood these types of threads.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 01:00 AM   #93
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfserge View Post
Explorer 1 wouldn’t sit anywhere close to a respectable watch collection. That watch has nothing to offer.
What a useful contribution…
rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 01:09 AM   #94
Slambonie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
Why would it be "needed"? I would argue that no collection should have one if anything. What's cool about it? It is literally the most bland watch Rolex makes.
Facts. Actually worse than the air king, and my god is the air king horrid.
Slambonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 01:13 AM   #95
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
I used to think yes and owned a 214270 but based on the fact that it rarely saw any wrist time, I sold it and now think no.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 01:21 AM   #96
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Air-King
I love the Explorer (and Explorer II) more than any other watch. But I’m not a believer that every collection needs this or that.

The Explorer - like the Submariner and the Speedy Pro - are all classics, but not everyone’s cup of tea.

Here’s are some pics just because every thread needs pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 02:03 AM   #97
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
No
Old 22 May 2022, 02:08 AM   #98
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Not everyone needs a “collection.” What ever happened to having only one watch? Oh, right, Instagram happened.
espanol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 02:14 AM   #99
Yellow5
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t ever say collections in general need a specific reference. The first Rolex I ever bought (2019) was an explorer I from an AD. It was when you could still get most of the catalogue, excluding Daytonas, after a reasonable wait time. I was deciding between it and a No date sub. It was the right choice for me. I’ve since added a GMY Rootbeer, which took a longer wait in 2021.

I think there is a decent sized cohort that, for one reason or another, doesn’t give the explorer I much consideration. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but ai think they are missing something pretty special, relative to the standard staples of the Rolex a catalogue.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 03:50 AM   #100
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
nah
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 04:47 AM   #101
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Not for me!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 04:47 AM   #102
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
I've seen a lot of posts about how every collection needs a sub or speedmaster. And obviously it's not true, as collections need whatever people like at whatever level they can afford. But just following that idea, in your opinion, where would the Explorer 1 sit in the hierarchy of "every collection needs one" watches?
I had an Explorer in my collection once.
It was one of my best ever watches(probably in my top 3) but it was too small for my wrist at 36 mm so I moved it along.
I miss it very much as a watch, but my collection is better suited to my style without it now anyway.
Perhaps it's an indispensable part of someone else's collection now
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 04:50 AM   #103
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Not everyone needs a “collection.” What ever happened to having only one watch? Oh, right, Instagram happened.
I haven't had a one watch collection since the early 70's and later on in the early 80's
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:12 AM   #104
Heady Topper
Banned

I could easily only keep this one and be happy with it forever. It’s my favourite watch of any brand and couldn’t be happier with it!
Heady Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:32 AM   #105
IR201
"TRF" Member

Interesting stories and thoughts, and great pictures! Definitely cool to see the love for this reference come through, and to hear perspectives of those who prefer other models.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:37 AM   #106
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
The only thing every collection needs is what the collectors want in it.

I've never understood these types of threads.
I agree with that and said it in my original post. Just wanted to start a fun conversation that is about a specific reference and not about $$ etc.
Old 22 May 2022, 07:41 AM   #107
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
I would love to get to a one watch collection, and to also "bash it about" or whatever is synonymous with the watch becoming part of your wrist without awareness etc. Not there by any stretch but I'm going to try a "reverse collect" strategy. At this point I've tried a lot of pieces, and now am working my way down. Instagram is not a factor. In fact, I go out of my way to not show off my pieces. You can safely accuse me of not wearing them enough though. That problem will be solved once I reduce down, as above, I hope.
Old 22 May 2022, 07:42 AM   #108
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ EXPLORER View Post
I love the Explorer (and Explorer II) more than any other watch. But I’m not a believer that every collection needs this or that.

The Explorer - like the Submariner and the Speedy Pro - are all classics, but not everyone’s cup of tea.

Man that speedy is looking good!! This is why I can never part with mine. I see a pic like yours and then it is right back in the collection. Exp looking amazing too.
Old 22 May 2022, 07:44 AM   #109
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
I might get heat for this. But I personally don't think the quality of the speedmaster is enough for the price. I recently went to my AD and tried on the new reference. The pressing the pushers felt terrible. Also winding the watch was very uncomfortable. Love the story of the watch but you are better off with Rolex if you can get one. Nothing get better than the Explorer. Most low key Rolex available.
The speedmaster does not feel the most premium but the new seamasters and some other pieces do feel quite good, I'd argue not much daylight in material feel from Rolex, it's just the proportions of the latter that are second to none (IMO)
Old 22 May 2022, 07:44 AM   #110
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
Well, I think it depends on the nature of one’s collection. Some collections are a random accumulation of various makes and models, while some are very focused—maybe focusing on a specific brand, even a specific model—or type.

For example, someone might have every variation of Submariner. Or, an array of dive watches. Or, might choose watches according to a theme, or related themes, like the “land, sea, air” posts we see.

If the Explorer is relevant to a particular collection’s theme or focus, it’s a natural choice. One might even collect nothing but Explorers, given the variations over the years.

For example, if “exploration” is a theme of a collection, the Explorer is an obvious choice, along with watches with a link to exploration, such as the Omega Speedmaster Professional, the Explorer II and the Submariner, or Sea-Dweller, or Deepsea.

Now, if your collection—or accumulation—of watches is of a different nature—say you’re into chronographs—then it’s not a “must have”.

However, if you’re into Rolex watches, and want a fair representation of its iconic models, then an Explorer belongs on your list, unless you just don’t like it.

And, if you’re not really a collector, just enjoy owning a few nice watches, the Explorer is a great option if you like its simplicity and its versatility.

I particularly like that it has some of the traits of the professional models, such as a secure clasp on the bracelet, and the triangle marker at 12 o’clock, yet is an understated general purpose watch, like the OP or the DJs on oyster bracelets with dome bezels.

And, I like that “3-6-9” dial, which can also be found on older OPs.

Great post!!
Old 22 May 2022, 07:48 AM   #111
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Nice basic piece, but I have no interest in owning one.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:45 AM   #112
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady Topper View Post
I could easily only keep this one and be happy with it forever. It’s my favourite watch of any brand and couldn’t be happier with it!
Absolutely fantastic pic of an amazing watch! Well done.
Old 22 May 2022, 10:51 AM   #113
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I would love to get to a one watch collection, and to also "bash it about" or whatever is synonymous with the watch becoming part of your wrist without awareness etc. Not there by any stretch but I'm going to try a "reverse collect" strategy. At this point I've tried a lot of pieces, and now am working my way down. Instagram is not a factor. In fact, I go out of my way to not show off my pieces. You can safely accuse me of not wearing them enough though. That problem will be solved once I reduce down, as above, I hope.
What's in your collection now? And what would you like to get it down to?
Old 22 May 2022, 10:56 AM   #114
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Man that speedy is looking good!! This is why I can never part with mine. I see a pic like yours and then it is right back in the collection. Exp looking amazing too.
Thanks so much! I didn't purchase the Speedy yet, but I will be in the next couple of weeks!
Old 22 May 2022, 04:13 PM   #115
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

No.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 05:07 PM   #116
*M5
"TRF" Member

To me, best damn GADA watch out there.

Amazing legibility, night or day.

Never looks out of place, regardless of attire.

The 39mm fit is spot on for a 7" wrist or above.

Weight is incredibly well balanced.

Can be worn on oyster, oysterflex or leather and still look the part.

There is a LOT of beauty in its simplicity.

It gets the most wrist time out of my collection and yes I have or had the popular models.

Does not draw unwanted attention.

Now whether someone needs it as part of their collection is arguable but it's pretty darn close to the quintessential Rolex tool watch. PXL_20211003_164014186~2.jpgPXL_20210518_113743953.PORTRAIT~2.jpgPXL_20210916_102338332~2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
*M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:41 PM   #117
QRIOUS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, Explorer
Wow. The Explorer on oysterflex looks amazing. How difficult was it to source? Thanks in advance.
QRIOUS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 11:04 PM   #118
buhdeh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ EXPLORER View Post

The Speedmaster looks great on your wrist… dare I say, I like it better than the Explorer.

Unfortunately, my wrists are too small to wear a 42mm Speedmaster.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 05:07 AM   #119
*M5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRIOUS1 View Post
Wow. The Explorer on oysterflex looks amazing. How difficult was it to source? Thanks in advance.
Hey there, got it on Chrono24, 1500$. The hardest part is figuring out the sizes needed but luckily there are several helpful threads regarding that. PXL_20210903_130222723~2.jpgPXL_20210905_193127760~2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
*M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 05:37 AM   #120
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I’ve owned most models - never this one and never have an intention to. It’s just very boring for me but I can appreciate the simplicity of it.

A submariner on the other hand, I do think any collector will have, desire to have or have had.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote