The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 November 2022, 08:48 AM   #1
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

How bad is the pitting on this?

1665 pictured in the link below has pitting on the back. How bad is it? Would this level of pitting prevent the watch from being waterproof?

https://imgur.com/a/AWsInue
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:16 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It will probably be ok for basic waterproofness if the rest of the watch is ok, but it's so hard to tell from one photo if it could be restored to original specs. Water resistance depends on many things - case-back, crystal, crown, etc.

What kind of waterproofness are you looking for? Light rain, showering, swimming, diving?

Every time this question comes up, there are some members who are confident that virtually any oyster case can be restored to full waterproofness, but I will say that this has not been my experience. Yes, with new seals they can usually pass a dry test and maybe a basic 50m wet test. But it's not so easy for a vintage watch to pass even a full 100m wet test, including the final condensation test, even if the sealing surfaces look good visually. I'm not sure that everyone is having the same testing done.

If I really needed a vintage watch to be fully waterproof to 100m (including no condensation on a cold crystal), then I would buy one that had already been pressure tested. Generally I'm happy if they are modestly waterproof so I'm confident that they won't be damaged if I'm caught in the rain. I do have a few vintage watches that happened to pass a full 100m pressure test, and I just consider that a bonus.
Old 29 November 2022, 09:26 AM   #3
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
Water ingress can happen at the crown, crystal and caseback.

Because the crystal is pressure fitted to the case by a retaining ring, it’s important to check the plexi for cracks.
Also a picture of the caseback would help.

Generally most people don’t dive with their vintage watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:35 AM   #4
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback!

In general I wouldn't be intentionally exposing the watch to much water, so it's really just sufficient water proofness to not have to worry about ingress during the occasional handwash, rain or kids splashing during bathtime.
Old 29 November 2022, 09:41 AM   #5
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Here's a pic of the caseback: https://imgur.com/a/ICMmiHI
Old 29 November 2022, 09:45 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting that the case-back is so clean. I usually see similar pitting on both sides, but that's good. What are the first digits of the serial?

It looks like it may have been serviced in May of this year, maybe the seller has information about a pressure test.
Old 29 November 2022, 09:45 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
1665 pictured in the link below has pitting on the back. How bad is it? Would this level of pitting prevent the watch from being waterproof?
That looks typical and would likely seal.

It is important that corrosion be removed so that the stainless steel can once again form its protectiveness. A good watchmaker can face the sealing surfaces on a lathe to ensure they are flat and sound.

If the reference is historically significant and worth it, or if we are someone who simply enjoys rescuing vintage watches, the sealing surface can be machined oversized and a new sealing surface pressed in place. Some like laser welding and resurfacing if needed.
Old 29 November 2022, 09:46 AM   #8
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
I think you should be fine as long as you don’t submerge it in water. But don’t take my opinion for it, especially on a $20k+ watch.
You can also get it tested. Most watchmakers have machines where they can verify waterproofing of the watch with the dial and movement out of the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:57 AM   #9
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Serial is 6,223,XXX

Watch was serviced back in May, but didn't pass an 8bar pressure test. It's back with my local watchmaker and we're going to try for a lower rating and also with a replacement crown, tube, crystal and gaskets.

When I get the watch back I will also post some pics of the front for your enjoyment.
Old 29 November 2022, 10:05 AM   #10
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
That looks typical and would likely seal.

It is important that corrosion be removed so that the stainless steel can once again form its protectiveness. A good watchmaker can face the sealing surfaces on a lathe to ensure they are flat and sound.

If the reference is historically significant and worth it, or if we are someone who simply enjoys rescuing vintage watches, the sealing surface can be machined oversized and a new sealing surface pressed in place. Some like laser welding and resurfacing if needed.
Genius idea to put in place a new sealing surface, whoever came up with it.
Old 29 November 2022, 10:55 AM   #11
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
Serial is 6,223,XXX

Watch was serviced back in May, but didn't pass an 8bar pressure test. It's back with my local watchmaker and we're going to try for a lower rating and also with a replacement crown, tube, crystal and gaskets.

When I get the watch back I will also post some pics of the front for your enjoyment.
I am sure you will be able to get better results after your watchmaker works on it. I had a worse 1675 that passed 100m test. Let us know pls
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 09:17 AM   #12
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Good news! With a new crown, tube and gaskets we were able to get the watch to pass a 200m wet pressure test.

Some more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/PMX7aVC

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 3 December 2022, 08:09 PM   #13
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote