The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 July 2021, 07:01 PM   #31
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
It's the same with classic cars.

Porsche 911, Mercedes Pagoda, Jaguar E-Type, etc.

The prices have doubled in 10 years.

Now in very short time there has been even bigger price increase. Are these signs of future inflation, huh?
Old 4 July 2021, 11:41 PM   #32
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Start wisely
Buy one to cherish and take care of it.
Once prices are going to cool down repeat.
I don’t think that buying more makes you better especially vintage.
Prices are insane now but for a vintage lover (with savings or large pockets) it doesn’t matter if he is into that.
Some Rolex models looks much better then compared with current line.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 02:13 AM   #33
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I totally agree that prices have gone insane. In fact, prices are ridiculously insane for vintage pieces as well as modern sport versions. Modern sport versions literally cant be acquired at retail price too.
ADINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 02:36 AM   #34
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I enjoy this question and discussion and find myself neatly straddling the fence as I am still always looking for the next 'diamond in the rough', and luckily no longer pine for any particular reference as I once did.
As the OP noted, prices have gotten a bit past the fun range and in to the more 'investment' arena (or I am just not well heeled enough to consider current prices 'fun') either way, it makes pulling the trigger on another shiny object a bit tougher. Compound that with the shady nonsense that has pervaded all facets of the vintage world (with prices come high nonsense), it just makes getting a cherry piece very expensive.
While this can still be fun, it is just very tough to enjoy like 'the old days' when 'used Rolex' were a cheaper foray in to the Rolex world than their new brethren at the AD's, my how things done changed.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 03:42 AM   #35
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Given the time and energy that it takes for to find (and vet) a fairly priced vintage Rolex in acceptable condition these days, I expect that I will probably not be buying or selling more than one or two a year for the foreseeable future. So what I am finding to be an enjoyable way to scratch my "collecting itch" is to dabble in the collecting of other brands that are easily affordable (and available) but still interesting, high-quality, and of historical interest.

For example, here are three watches I bought earlier this year, each basically for pocket change (relative to Rolex). I know this type of thing isn't for everyone, but I find it fun. I still get the thrill-of-the-hunt, and the excitement of finding something old and well-preserved. Granted, I have eclectic taste in watches and I'm really not terribly brand-loyal or an "investor".

Old 5 July 2021, 04:00 AM   #36
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Given the time and energy that it takes for to find (and vet) a fairly priced vintage Rolex in acceptable condition these days, I expect that I will probably not be buying or selling more than one or two a year for the foreseeable future. So what I am finding to be an enjoyable way to scratch my "collecting itch" is to dabble in the collecting of other brands that are easily affordable (and available) but still interesting, high-quality, and of historical interest.

For example, here are three watches I bought earlier this year, each basically for pocket change. I know this type of thing isn't for everyone, but I find it fun. I still get the thrill-of-the-hunt, and the excitement of finding something old and well-preserved. Granted, I have eclectic taste in watches and I'm really not terribly brand-loyal or an "investor".

I have also started to buy other lower priced Swiss vintage pieces which I find is quite amusing. Vintage Omega, Vulcan, Zodiac, Enicar etc. have really nice finish on many models…
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 06:07 AM   #37
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
I have also started to buy other lower priced Swiss vintage pieces which I find is quite amusing. Vintage Omega, Vulcan, Zodiac, Enicar etc. have really nice finish on many models…
Three very nice watches, particularly the world timer.
Paulie 50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 06:41 AM   #38
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie 50 View Post
Three very nice watches, particularly the world timer.
I think they are Dan S's watches dude... not LKJ's.

FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 06:41 AM   #39
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Even the “new vintage” is getting hard to find nice examples at decent prices. The SEL holes cases are my favorite references (16610, 16570, 16710, 16600 etc..). I’d like to get a nice 16570 and to me condition trumps boxes/papers.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 08:52 AM   #40
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBigCrown View Post
I think they are Dan S's watches dude... not LKJ's.

Yes I know, just me without my specs. but comments still apply.
Paulie 50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 08:53 AM   #41
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For example, here are three watches I bought earlier this year...
That creamy Zodiac
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 09:12 AM   #42
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
That Seiko World Time is great. Is it 1964 with Olympic torch caseback? Jack Nicholson wore one in The Passenger (1975) and I've been on the hunt for a nice one for ages.
Old 6 July 2021, 12:55 AM   #43
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Price rises are never a good thing for anything one may wish to collect.

But one just has to be more selective in their purchases. Higher prices do make it more challenging to buy watches that are no longer made. As long as you have 1 nice vintage watch that you can appreciate wearing, it may be that you just have to vicariously enjoy watches that others are able to share with photos and discussion. Appreciation is not all about 'owning' its also about sharing your collectables and experiences with others and they with you.
You are such a wise man!
Old 6 July 2021, 03:56 AM   #44
mechachia
"TRF" Member

Maybe I shouldn't mention it, lest this change, but if you go further into the past, there are still pieces available for prices that are... well... still insane for a watch, but bearable. I've picked up some stuff from the 30's-60's for $2k and under. You do have to be okay with a smaller watch than what's fashionable these days, though.
mechachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 04:28 AM   #45
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
For me vintage is a multi faceted passion. I like doing the research and the learning aspect. I like trying to find undervalued pieces and I simply just love the vintage patina look on a nicely preserved watch.

As far as value being one of my criteria which I know to many here is anathema I have it as a criteria because I find that part of the fun in collecting anything is the challenge in seeing something others don’t and being right about it. And although no watch I will ever sell will change my life one bit, I like to be right. So its not the money it’s the challenge and then the satisfaction of seeing your research your time hunting turn out they way you hoped. As if putting in long hours of practice in your golf passion to be a scratch golfer and then actually reaching that milestone. Will it change your life in any way, no, but very satisfying.

The challenge today is greater than when I first started collecting just 3 short years ago. Now big money has attracted big scams and a few big names have fallen to the dark side of vintage land in the past year. Exposed mainly by the experts of this forum and at VRF. And I’m sure more will fall in the not so distant future, the lure of huge profits is too strong for some.
Plus there are keen eyes watching that I find amazing how they can take one look and know exactly what is right and more importantly everything that is wrong with a watch.

If you’re into vintage read every post of those who you deem most knowledgeable and take what they teach you about all the little tells about each variation of dials, inserts, hands and etc. Then go on Chrono24 and practice identifying dials, inserts and hands. It’s not easy even with the experts guide in your hand. I find myself saying to myself is that an Mk1, MK1.5 or is that a 3 all to often. Then Study the prices of full original pieces that you identify, then you’ll be able to spot a bargain when you see one.

Case in point I was looking and studying for a 16570 white dial with nice even patina on dial and hands which are labeled as Chicchi de Maise. Many had nice patina dials but had bright white hands that had no appeal to me. I looked in vain for one at a reasonable price to. Then one day I brought a friend of my wife to a local watch dealer who wanted a Cartier for herself. While looking through the showcases lo and behold there’s the exact 16570 I have been searching for sitting right there. A little negotiating, helped by the fact our friend was purchasing a Cartier and I got my watch at 50% off what I see and feel as the market price.

I love the look and it’s one of my favorites now. I think it’s under appreciated and these will be in much higher demand some day. Will I be right I have no idea, if am am great, much joy to me, if I’m wrong, still much joy to me cause I think it’s just an absolutely beautiful looking watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 04:40 AM   #46
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
It's the same with classic cars.

Porsche 911, Mercedes Pagoda, Jaguar E-Type, etc.

The prices have doubled in 10 years.

Now in very short time there has been even bigger price increase. Are these signs of future inflation, huh?
Right on JP. And, how about those ultra collectible Shelbys from the American icon Carroll Shelby. They've doubled and tripled the past decade or so.

Cars are still fun for me as well as vintage watches. While prices for vintage watches continue to escalate, not many collectibles that I know of have seen a reduction in price lately.

jP

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 07:13 AM   #47
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
That Seiko World Time is great. Is it 1964 with Olympic torch caseback? Jack Nicholson wore one in The Passenger (1975) and I've been on the hunt for a nice one for ages.
Exactly right, Adam, you know your vintage Seiko obviously.

Old 6 July 2021, 07:42 AM   #48
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Right on JP. And, how about those ultra collectible Shelbys from the American icon Carroll Shelby. They've doubled and tripled the past decade or so.

Cars are still fun for me as well as vintage watches. While prices for vintage watches continue to escalate, not many collectibles that I know of have seen a reduction in price lately.

jP
Asking prices are crazy now, but there's a lot of unsold listings sitting for months.
It would be strange for vintage prices to drop, but not to go flat.

When the cost of a 40 year old sub is close to a new Rolex, it makes sense that buyers will eventually say no to vintage.

I suppose the rare pieces can always command insane prices, especially in bidding wars.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 08:00 AM   #49
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
When the cost of a 40 year old sub is close to a new Rolex, it makes sense that buyers will eventually say no to vintage.
Your premise suggests that a vintage enthusiast will put aside their passion for vintage and simply grab a new Rolex because it’s more affordable. I have never in my watch-buying history ever wanted a new Rolex. To me, there’s virtually nothing in common with a 40+ year-old Sub and a new one. They may as well be different brands.
They’re not interchangeable at all.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 08:09 AM   #50
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Your premise suggests that a vintage enthusiast will put aside their passion for vintage and simply grab a new Rolex because it’s more affordable. I have never in my watch-buying history ever wanted a new Rolex. To me, there’s virtually nothing in common with a 40+ year-old Sub and a new one. They may as well be different brands.
It depends if all vintage enthusiasts are like you I guess.
Vintage price rises have slowed, for some reason.

I would buy a 126710 over any vintage gmt except a mint 1675 patinad, all original with a gilt dial.
But that's just me.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 08:45 AM   #51
Cozmopak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would buy a 126710 over any vintage gmt except a mint 1675 patinad, all original with a gilt dial.
But that's just me.
I agree with Chamfers. Vintage is a completely different beast. I have zero interest in contemporary Rolex models.
Cozmopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 08:47 AM   #52
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmopak View Post
I agree with Chamfers. Vintage is a completely different beast. I have zero interest in contemporary Rolex models.
That was my argument! Zero interest in new ones. Mr. Chamfers would take a new GMT. To each his own.
Old 6 July 2021, 09:27 AM   #53
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Quote:

But that's just me.

I’m pretty sure we all are on that page. I wouldn’t own a new Rolex.

If the market collapsed most here would buy more watches. The prices will aways go back up. Some would be a little disappointed… I would rejoice and buy more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 09:38 AM   #54
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Exactly right, Adam, you know your vintage Seiko obviously.

Very nice. Almost my birthyear and month
Old 6 July 2021, 09:46 AM   #55
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
To me, there’s virtually nothing in common with a 40+ year-old Sub and a new one. They may as well be different brands.
Agree. My first was a modern Sub C 10 years ago before I got into vintage. I'm not even sure where the Sub C is now. Probably in a sock somewhere...
Old 6 July 2021, 09:57 AM   #56
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Vintage Rolex Just Not Fun Anymore

The five digit tritium models aren’t bad… that’s where my interest stop. I’m not dying to buy any of those, but they are actually what I would consider a Rolex.

Atleast everything prior to Rolex jumping on the big watch train. I tried to like the 2011 Explorer 42mm but I finally realized the things I liked about it were the vintage style elements, and I hated the bloated case/hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 10:14 AM   #57
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Agree. My first was a modern Sub C 10 years ago before I got into vintage. I'm not even sure where the Sub C is now. Probably in a sock somewhere...
Ah, the ol’ sock watch!

Honestly, and this probably gets too esoteric, but once certain “things” (Rolexes, cars, guitars, etc., basically anything with an aesthetic component that’s as important as its functional component), started being designed, and fabricated using design software programs, the charm went with it. All examples of a given new Rolex model look exactly the same. Cookie-cutter at its worst. But, if you look at a Rolex catalogue from 50 years ago, and you can see how each case is hand-cut, one lug is slightly smaller than another. Actual expert craftsmen doing their work. No two exactly the same. Maybe that’s not important to a lot of people, but there’s a certain unique beauty in that process and result which remains. I just can’t get excited by a watch made by a programmed robot.
Old 6 July 2021, 02:38 PM   #58
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm exactly in your position

Here's my latest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 07:09 PM   #59
StoriesOnceTold
"TRF" Member

While I don't have interest in the new models, I think the fact that vintage pieces are now reaching prices where pieces arent being enjoyed for their history anymore, but for the fact that the piece was purchased for a large sum of money, and not a lot of people can afford it and get it anymore.
StoriesOnceTold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 08:59 PM   #60
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I dabbled with a couple of King Seikos a few years ago.

I loved looking at the angles and unique design language, but they never got any wrist time. I traded them for a lovely old 34 mm Tudor Small Rose. Which also never gets any wrist time...