The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2019, 01:36 PM   #121
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Political correctness & Virtue Signalers.
Minorities that believe that they should call the shots.
People who believe that "free speech" only applies to them.
People who "take offence".

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 01:41 PM   #122
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Fair enough! My apologies..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ah forget about it. y'all can call me anything you like just don't call me late for dinner!

now onto what really drives me nuts. we post ads around town that we collect watches. it's a fun way to reach people boots on the ground and find neat stuff. what i absolutely hate is when someone calls or texts with a watch and we go meet them up. we see the watch and ask them how much they want for it. 9 out of 10 times the answer we get is "what is your offer?" when pushed for a number they start with the "i honestly have no idea" baloney.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 02:10 PM   #123
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Political correctness & Virtue Signalers.
Minorities that believe that they should call the shots.
People who believe that "free speech" only applies to them.
People who "take offence".
Yeah.

And the general lack of a sense of humor and the intolerance of those who demand tolerance for recently invented identities after folks lived a lifetime without the myriad of modern terms.

I respect all the unique ways people would like to be identified but when they expect that everyone fully understand their very specific realities without giving them a benefit of a learning curve it can make for a very frustrating series of interactions.
Old 20 April 2019, 02:20 PM   #124
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
What does that all mean Gus?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 02:27 PM   #125
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
What does that all mean Gus?
That is a good question.

it’s an old man finding frustration with the new continuesly evolving focus on social issues and Identities that separate people rather than bring them together.
Old 20 April 2019, 06:19 PM   #126
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
CRM114...were you potty trained with threat of torture??
In order to answer that question I'd first have to know: Are we talking about "Torture" as classically defined and accepted, or in these more fluid times is there a feeling that "Torture" now means any treatment that falls short of having someone throw a celebratory party especially for me complete with gifts, fireworks, and a new pony anytime I showed up to poop in the right spot?

If it's the latter then the answer is yes, I most certainly was. Additionally, as time went on I learned to clean my room, do homework, rake leaves, cut grass, shovel snow, help with the dishes, not be late for dinner, get good grades in school and find jobs to earn spending money, all of which were also under threat of torture but never received even 1 pony to show for it.

In fact, my parents were so "brutal" I never got paid for any of the aforementioned work. Therefore, I hate the world "Childhood" since the entire affair is big people owning miniature people not unlike indentured servitude at best or keeping Oompa Loompa slaves in a chocolate factory at worst. Just because those poor, dumb orange-faced bastards occasionally broke into song dancing in unison in a sick pantomime of teamwork and may even have been issued tiny "Team Gobstopper/Fizzy Lifting Drink/Wonka Vision" uniform suspenders doesn't change the fact Wonka exploited them w/o pay for his own benefit. On the other hand, if they had been employees, he'd have had to compensate them with wages or salary.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 08:38 PM   #127
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I like this thread......
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 09:37 PM   #128
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I like this thread......
Truly entertaining. For sure.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 10:29 PM   #129
timedate
-

how about people with selective political stances?

the type that get all brave with a soft target but wont show the same zeal with someone that is a threat or puts up a fight

i know them as f****** cowards.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 10:48 PM   #130
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Drivers who don’t use their turn signals.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:27 PM   #131
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Drivers who don’t use their turn signals.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:38 PM   #132
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
In order to answer that question I'd first have to know: Are we talking about "Torture" as classically defined and accepted, or in these more fluid times is there a feeling that "Torture" now means any treatment that falls short of having someone throw a celebratory party especially for me complete with gifts, fireworks, and a new pony anytime I showed up to poop in the right spot?

If it's the latter then the answer is yes, I most certainly was. Additionally, as time went on I learned to clean my room, do homework, rake leaves, cut grass, shovel snow, help with the dishes, not be late for dinner, get good grades in school and find jobs to earn spending money, all of which were also under threat of torture but never received even 1 pony to show for it.

In fact, my parents were so "brutal" I never got paid for any of the aforementioned work. Therefore, I hate the world "Childhood" since the entire affair is big people owning miniature people not unlike indentured servitude at best or keeping Oompa Loompa slaves in a chocolate factory at worst. Just because those poor, dumb orange-faced bastards occasionally broke into song dancing in unison in a sick pantomime of teamwork and may even have been issued tiny "Team Gobstopper/Fizzy Lifting Drink/Wonka Vision" uniform suspenders doesn't change the fact Wonka exploited them w/o pay for his own benefit. On the other hand, if they had been employees, he'd have had to compensate them with wages or salary.
Willy compensated them with chocolate, which they valued more than money. They were literally rolling in it. Plus, free housing and healthcare.

What more could a guy want?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 12:47 AM   #133
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Texting with my Millennial friends.

Her: I'm literally ROTFLMAO

Me: Literally?

Her ?

Me: Nevermind.

Her: Why are you POed

Me: I'm not.

Her: UR using periods

Me: Yeah, that's proper punctuation.

Her: wtf now UR saying yeah

Me: Huh?

Her: smdh

Me: Hello? Are you high?

Her: ...
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 01:48 AM   #134
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Direct sunlight when I am trying to get a good picture of my watch

People who struggle to park their car while you wait to get by

My lawn. What a stupid idea whoever came up with the idea of residential grass is shit.

Marvel or DC comic movies. I never like them and they are always coming out every weekend.

Canadian Ketchup
Old 21 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #135
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
People throwing their cigarette butts out onto the street as if the world is their ashtray.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:01 AM   #136
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I like this thread......

I thought it would be a good stress relief
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:01 AM   #137
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Direct sunlight when I am trying to get a good picture of my watch

People who struggle to park their car while you wait to get by

My lawn. What a stupid idea whoever came up with the idea of residential grass is shit.

Marvel or DC comic movies. I never like them and they are always coming out every weekend.

Canadian Ketchup

Just concrete everything like the romans
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:37 AM   #138
atkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
People throwing their cigarette butts out onto the street as if the world is their ashtray.
Yes - THIS! I'm actually surprised it took 5 pages before this was mentioned.

And I will also add: anyone that litters out the car window, into natural areas, etc.
atkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:28 AM   #139
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
The cigarette butts I can live with, (although it annoys the hell out of the Wife)
It is all the McDonalds crap that people toss out of the car window that really bugs me.
Including waxed cups and plastic tops/straws that don't degrade. I pick them up on my morning walk and put them in people's bins.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:24 PM   #140
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Willy compensated them with chocolate, which they valued more than money. They were literally rolling in it.
Payment using cocoa beans would have been OK had he moved his factory overseas to Loompaland, but he didn't. If his workers were "Employees" rather than Team Members slaves he'd have to abide by labor law and pay workers in his domestically-sited factory at least minimum wage in real currency.

Quote:
Plus, free housing..
Prisons provide free housing, as did slave-holding plantations.

Although Wonka's factory resembles a prison in that it's is surrounded by walls, fences with a locked gate, held within are entire Oompa Loompa families including OL children and babies. In this respect, while the physical nature of WW's factory may resemble a prison, the OL condition of servitude is one of chattel slavery, where slavery is perpetual and carries across generations.

Quote:
..and healthcare.
Emergency treatment for Oompa Loompa guinea pigs suffering horrific mutations as a result of botched candy formula experimentation doesn't count as "healthcare". Being thrown into a Taffy Stretching machine on the orders of Wonka based on his wild guess of how that particular screw-up might be rectified using whatever factory equipment is at hand isn't the same thing as having an MRI.

Real healthcare involves professionals, trained and certified Doctors & Nurses using medical equipment. Home remedy concoctions don't count, especially when your "home" is a candy factory because it's axiomatic that no medicine that actually works tastes good.

Quote:
What more could a guy want?
Wonka got away with what he did by stuffing them all in crates and smuggling the entire OL tribe into the country and factory where nobody, including the OLs, is allowed in or out. He did so after firing all his domestic workers based on his wild and unproven allegation they were all industrial spies, replacing them with these imported, no-wage, wholly subserviant lock-ins. Once there, he immediately put them to work.

He tries to justify his people-smuggling & slave-holding by using the classic excuse; "I rescued them. They're better off now than they were before". However, Wonka is a known porkie-teller and there's conveniently no 3rd party corroboration by any private, NGO, or government entity that the OLs were barely subsisting on green caterpillars, being preyed upon by monstrous beasts, or that they went with him willingly.

For people of his ilk, it's far more likely that Wonka simply dealt with the more powerful creatures, secretly offering them a bounty for every OL they captured and delivered to him alive at a potemkin outdoor food market where he would, to their great relief, "buy their lives". Or, if the monsters were all too unintelligent to deal with or have food markets, he could use low-level technology to disrupt the natural order of the jungle by surreptitiously setting up crude ramps or ladders allowing the Whangdoodles to overcome the OLs only defense; living in treehouses. Having to abandon their village and flee for their lives, he just happens to show up in the nick of time to rescue them all. Either way, it would be incredibly simple for him to set himself up as their "Savior" and win their unquestioning allegiance.

Even if his story that the OLs were starving and being eaten 10 at a time by Whangdoodles were true, if his intentions were pure there was a myriad of other options available to him that didn't involve criminal activity. For instance, he just as easily could have;

1) Immediately shipped abundant, tastier food to fill their bellies accompanied by armed, private security teams to secure the village.

2) Had the Advisors instruct and assist the OLs in the construction of perimeter defenses and the manufacture of weapons using locally-obtained materials. Trained them in their use with tactics suited for the terrain and conditions. No need to go crazy handing them grenades, flamethrowers, or Mini Coopers converted into tiny APCs, just whatever's necessary to give them a clear advantage over the predatory beasts, say, steel swords, spear tips, and arrowheads. Show them how to fashion crossbows from wood and vines or foo gas using jungle swamp methane, that sort of thing.

3) Sent an Agriculture Advisor out with military Advisor/Oompa Loompa teams into areas proximate to the village, and established control in those suitable for cocoa bean production. Start planting cocoa trees and any other growable foodstuffs they might prefer to green caterpillars.

4) Directed the capture of each type of predatory beast, and sent a team of scientists and equipment from his Candy Labs to study and dissect them if necessary in order to develop repellents for each type. These could be in the form of a spray, acoustic sounds, whatever it takes to one day allow the OLs to mostly de-militarize and dispense with keeping a standing army, relying instead on a volunteer militia.

5) Sent geologists to assess the resources of Loompaland. If valuable oil, gold, or diamonds are found followed the geologist with a lawyer to draw-up papers whereby the OLs would sign over the mineral rights beneath Loompaland in fair exchange for a uninterrupted, continuous supply of the aforementioned Anti-Monster repellents.

The above is just one obvious, alternative choice Wonka could have made that would have been above board. Another; lobbied his own government to have the OLs declared refugees based on their persecuted (by monsters) status and acted as the conduit for their re-settlement, setting-up and providing a work program in his factory to assimilate.

I could go on and on about the other valid, non-criminal choices he had, but they all lack one thing; none of them involve human trafficking or chattel slavery, and the Oompa Loompas would be "Employees", voluntarily going to work in exchange for monetary wages or salary. No wonder Wonka was having none of any that didn't involve exploiting the situation for his own benefit.

Instead, he spun an uncorroborated tale of woe woven into the false premise that the OLs couldn't learn how to defend or provide for themselves in their homeland, so he stepped in to "save" them with what we're supposed to be hoodwinked into believing is a "Win-Win" deal. Yet these supposedly helpless OLs go right to work in his factory operating the latest mechanical and technical equipment some of which are, such as Wonka Vision, the likes of which the world has never seen. Are we to believe that OLs with a little help couldn't deal with a few jungle beasts one week, but the next they can successfuly screw around at an atomic scale breaking down and re-animating living organisms across distances and invent a drink that makes people float? Come on.

Wonka's entire OL backstory, his admitted smuggling, the slave condition of the OLs, and his lame attempts at justifying his actions is practically a manual for exploiting a people on the brink to the fullest for one's own benefit and trying to convince others that it's Okay. That's his overall message.

Need further proof? To find out where his twisted mind is at, look no further than the entire Golden Ticket lottery. Remember how Wonka's wild claim that all his former employees (<-- means paid wages and salary using MONEY, not beans) were involved in industrial espionage and therefore (laughably) he had no other choice to fire them? Well apparently out of ALL the Oompa Loompas working for him operating machinery, developing new tech, or conducting experiments in labs that create magic-like products, he couldn't find one...not one....to groom for taking over his factory when he retires. Nope, instead he throws 5 golden tickets into the wind and happily declares a 10 year old his successor just because he's the only one of them not a little shit.

Charlie may be a good kid, but he's not proven he has the capacity to learn anything about the candy business except for eating it. He displays honesty and owning up to his mistake, but Wonka acts so jubilant it's as if he's been continuously surrounded by dishonest, cheating bastards when in fact he's been a recluse surrounded by faithful, hard-working and intelligent Oompa Loompas.

There's a reason Wonka would be so blind as to roll the dice and hand over his factory to an entirely unproven kid that never displayed the trait needed to carry on in his footsteps; Imagination. Wonka himself lets the reason slip when he tells Charlie needs someone to "Take care of the Oompa Loompas" when he's gone.

"Needs someone Take care of them", the inference being the OLs have neither the ability or inherent capacity to learn how to take care of themselves despite their proven track record of abilities and learning. Wonka believes he can train and groom Charlie for larger things despite being an unremarkable 10 year-old, but the entire lottery betrays Wonka's belief that doing the same for even the most exceptional of Oompa Loompas he considers to be a waste of time.

Even "Benevolent" plantation owners voiced the same sort of twisted paternalism that Wonka does in an attempt to justify enslaving people instead of hiring employees. The only difference is that Wonka's is based on Stature-ism. Sick.

You know what irks me? That Willie Wonka gets a pass just because he makes great candy. If the very same story was told but instead of fancy confection production the factory was manufacturing lawn mowers engines or industrial chemicals run by a guy named Cletus Crapper, everyone would be crying foul, demanding that the OLs be freed, and CC clapped in irons.

But no, everyone turns a blind eye if it means getting a damned Gobstopper for a buck instead of $1.50.
Old 22 April 2019, 02:31 PM   #141
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Getting stuck walking behind someone who is slower than me (especially if it is them being on their phone that is the reason)

People who get to the top of the escalators and stop right at the very top to look around and decide where they are going while the rest of us pile up behind them.

People who get on a busy train/bus with their backpack on and do not take it off, therefore bashing other people around with it and taking up valuable space.

That is probably the main three things that really grind my gears.
I'm pretty easy going after that.
Old 22 April 2019, 02:36 PM   #142
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
When it's raining, walking along the street, and being very tall, having to dodge the barrage of sharp pointy spikes that surround umbrellas from poking me in the eye.

Occasionally I have to bat the umbrellas out of my path or face imminent blindness....it can be tragic being tall.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:55 PM   #143
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
When it's raining, walking along the street, and being very tall, having to dodge the barrage of sharp pointy spikes that surround umbrellas from poking me in the eye.

Occasionally I have to bat the umbrellas out of my path or face imminent blindness....it can be tragic being tall.
be thankful you're not in the Philippines as rain or shine most locals use an umbrella. believe it or not they even wade into the water at the beach with an umbrella!
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 03:59 PM   #144
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeep111 View Post
Just concrete everything like the romans

If I had the cash I might do that

Quote:
Payment using cocoa beans would have been OK had he moved his factory overseas to Loompaland, but he didn't. If his workers were "Employees" rather than Team Members slaves he'd have to abide by labor law and pay workers in his domestically-sited factory at least minimum wage in real currency.

Prisons provide free housing, as did slave-holding plantations.

Although Wonka's factory resembles a prison in that it's is surrounded by walls, fences with a locked gate, held within are entire Oompa Loompa families including OL children and babies. In this respect, while the physical nature of WW's factory may resemble a prison, the OL condition of servitude is one of chattel slavery, where slavery is perpetual and carries across generations.

Emergency treatment for Oompa Loompa guinea pigs suffering horrific mutations as a result of botched candy formula experimentation doesn't count as "healthcare". Being thrown into a Taffy Stretching machine on the orders of Wonka based on his wild guess of how that particular screw-up might be rectified using whatever factory equipment is at hand isn't the same thing as having an MRI.

Real healthcare involves professionals, trained and certified Doctors & Nurses using medical equipment. Home remedy concoctions don't count, especially when your "home" is a candy factory because it's axiomatic that no medicine that actually works tastes good.

Wonka got away with what he did by stuffing them all in crates and smuggling the entire OL tribe into the country and factory where nobody, including the OLs, is allowed in or out. He did so after firing all his domestic workers based on his wild and unproven allegation they were all industrial spies, replacing them with these imported, no-wage, wholly subserviant lock-ins. Once there, he immediately put them to work.

He tries to justify his people-smuggling & slave-holding by using the classic excuse; "I rescued them. They're better off now than they were before". However, Wonka is a known porkie-teller and there's conveniently no 3rd party corroboration by any private, NGO, or government entity that the OLs were barely subsisting on green caterpillars, being preyed upon by monstrous beasts, or that they went with him willingly.

For people of his ilk, it's far more likely that Wonka simply dealt with the more powerful creatures, secretly offering them a bounty for every OL they captured and delivered to him alive at a potemkin outdoor food market where he would, to their great relief, "buy their lives". Or, if the monsters were all too unintelligent to deal with or have food markets, he could use low-level technology to disrupt the natural order of the jungle by surreptitiously setting up crude ramps or ladders allowing the Whangdoodles to overcome the OLs only defense; living in treehouses. Having to abandon their village and flee for their lives, he just happens to show up in the nick of time to rescue them all. Either way, it would be incredibly simple for him to set himself up as their "Savior" and win their unquestioning allegiance.

Even if his story that the OLs were starving and being eaten 10 at a time by Whangdoodles were true, if his intentions were pure there was a myriad of other options available to him that didn't involve criminal activity. For instance, he just as easily could have;

1) Immediately shipped abundant, tastier food to fill their bellies accompanied by armed, private security teams to secure the village.

2) Had the Advisors instruct and assist the OLs in the construction of perimeter defenses and the manufacture of weapons using locally-obtained materials. Trained them in their use with tactics suited for the terrain and conditions. No need to go crazy handing them grenades, flamethrowers, or Mini Coopers converted into tiny APCs, just whatever's necessary to give them a clear advantage over the predatory beasts, say, steel swords, spear tips, and arrowheads. Show them how to fashion crossbows from wood and vines or foo gas using jungle swamp methane, that sort of thing.

3) Sent an Agriculture Advisor out with military Advisor/Oompa Loompa teams into areas proximate to the village, and established control in those suitable for cocoa bean production. Start planting cocoa trees and any other growable foodstuffs they might prefer to green caterpillars.

4) Directed the capture of each type of predatory beast, and sent a team of scientists and equipment from his Candy Labs to study and dissect them if necessary in order to develop repellents for each type. These could be in the form of a spray, acoustic sounds, whatever it takes to one day allow the OLs to mostly de-militarize and dispense with keeping a standing army, relying instead on a volunteer militia.

5) Sent geologists to assess the resources of Loompaland. If valuable oil, gold, or diamonds are found followed the geologist with a lawyer to draw-up papers whereby the OLs would sign over the mineral rights beneath Loompaland in fair exchange for a uninterrupted, continuous supply of the aforementioned Anti-Monster repellents.

The above is just one obvious, alternative choice Wonka could have made that would have been above board. Another; lobbied his own government to have the OLs declared refugees based on their persecuted (by monsters) status and acted as the conduit for their re-settlement, setting-up and providing a work program in his factory to assimilate.

I could go on and on about the other valid, non-criminal choices he had, but they all lack one thing; none of them involve human trafficking or chattel slavery, and the Oompa Loompas would be "Employees", voluntarily going to work in exchange for monetary wages or salary. No wonder Wonka was having none of any that didn't involve exploiting the situation for his own benefit.

Instead, he spun an uncorroborated tale of woe woven into the false premise that the OLs couldn't learn how to defend or provide for themselves in their homeland, so he stepped in to "save" them with what we're supposed to be hoodwinked into believing is a "Win-Win" deal. Yet these supposedly helpless OLs go right to work in his factory operating the latest mechanical and technical equipment some of which are, such as Wonka Vision, the likes of which the world has never seen. Are we to believe that OLs with a little help couldn't deal with a few jungle beasts one week, but the next they can successfuly screw around at an atomic scale breaking down and re-animating living organisms across distances and invent a drink that makes people float? Come on.

Wonka's entire OL backstory, his admitted smuggling, the slave condition of the OLs, and his lame attempts at justifying his actions is practically a manual for exploiting a people on the brink to the fullest for one's own benefit and trying to convince others that it's Okay. That's his overall message.

Need further proof? To find out where his twisted mind is at, look no further than the entire Golden Ticket lottery. Remember how Wonka's wild claim that all his former employees (<-- means paid wages and salary using MONEY, not beans) were involved in industrial espionage and therefore (laughably) he had no other choice to fire them? Well apparently out of ALL the Oompa Loompas working for him operating machinery, developing new tech, or conducting experiments in labs that create magic-like products, he couldn't find one...not one....to groom for taking over his factory when he retires. Nope, instead he throws 5 golden tickets into the wind and happily declares a 10 year old his successor just because he's the only one of them not a little shit.

Charlie may be a good kid, but he's not proven he has the capacity to learn anything about the candy business except for eating it. He displays honesty and owning up to his mistake, but Wonka acts so jubilant it's as if he's been continuously surrounded by dishonest, cheating bastards when in fact he's been a recluse surrounded by faithful, hard-working and intelligent Oompa Loompas.

There's a reason Wonka would be so blind as to roll the dice and hand over his factory to an entirely unproven kid that never displayed the trait needed to carry on in his footsteps; Imagination. Wonka himself lets the reason slip when he tells Charlie needs someone to "Take care of the Oompa Loompas" when he's gone.

"Needs someone Take care of them", the inference being the OLs have neither the ability or inherent capacity to learn how to take care of themselves despite their proven track record of abilities and learning. Wonka believes he can train and groom Charlie for larger things despite being an unremarkable 10 year-old, but the entire lottery betrays Wonka's belief that doing the same for even the most exceptional of Oompa Loompas he considers to be a waste of time.

Even "Benevolent" plantation owners voiced the same sort of twisted paternalism that Wonka does in an attempt to justify enslaving people instead of hiring employees. The only difference is that Wonka's is based on Stature-ism. Sick.

You know what irks me? That Willie Wonka gets a pass just because he makes great candy. If the very same story was told but instead of fancy confection production the factory was manufacturing lawn mowers engines or industrial chemicals run by a guy named Cletus Crapper, everyone would be crying foul, demanding that the OLs be freed, and CC clapped in irons.

But no, everyone turns a blind eye if it means getting a damned Gobstopper for a buck instead of $1.50.

You’ve got it all wrong. WW was nothing but a figurehead. The OL were pulling the strings the whole time that’s why they had to cut the movie short before the wonkavator crashed in a ball of flames.

The kept WW hopped up on pcp which is why he was always a mess. Very sad.
Old 22 April 2019, 04:02 PM   #145
timedate
-

people who gush about being parents yet sub contract the job out to others,

or mothers that walk along with their baby in the pram but ignore the child in favour of the phone,

Many do parenthood because they can.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 05:23 PM   #146
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You’ve got it all wrong. WW was nothing but a figurehead. The OL were pulling the strings the whole time that’s why they had to cut the movie short before the wonkavator crashed in a ball of flames.

The kept WW hopped up on pcp which is why he was always a mess. Very sad.
It's possible. WW's selection of Charlie as his beneficiary-successor due to his youth, naivete', and gullibility that permitted the unquestioning acceptance of his BS "Savior" story to forever warp Charlie's moral compass in the direction he chose just as easily supports the theory that if the OLs were controlling things they would want to install a new figurehead-puppet with the same traits to ensure maximum malleability and control. Let's face it, unlike say, a Mike TeeVee type, you could prank Charlie with the same prank every day of the week and twice on Sunday and he'd still fall for it the following Monday.

Then again, you could be working for the fake Slugworth and spreading disinformation to make it appear Wonka is actually the victim, or perhaps you're a Fikulgruber man just trying to stir shit between Wonka and the real Slugworth in the hopes an all-out Candy War will ensue between them until they've bled each other mostly dry at which point you lot step in to shoot the wounded.
Old 22 April 2019, 05:31 PM   #147
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's possible. WW's selection of Charlie as his beneficiary-successor due to his youth, naivete', and gullibility that permitted the unquestioning acceptance of his BS "Savior" story to forever warp Charlie's moral compass in the direction he chose just as easily supports the theory that if the OLs were controlling things they would want to install a new figurehead-puppet with the same traits to ensure maximum malleability and control.

Then again, you could be working for the fake Slugworth and spreading disinformation to make it appear Wonka is actually the victim, or perhaps a Fikulgruber man just trying to stir shit between Wonka and the real Slugworth in the hopes an all-out Candy War will ensue between them until they've bled each other mostly dry at which point you lot step in to shoot the wounded.
This would be the funniest shit ever if you made a straight face 20 minute YouTube video debating these theories

I’ll have to let this information marinate and get back to you when it’s not 330AM here
Old 22 April 2019, 05:48 PM   #148
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Jocke
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 05:50 PM   #149
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
nothing im a zen master
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote