The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22 April 2019, 12:54 AM   #31
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
I was mainly thinking about those who might have been targeted for street robbery. But a rogue David Copperfield is a possibility.
Yeah I was responding to post number 11.

I doubt a rogue David Copperfield could do it on the street without a lengthy interaction. The bump and steal wallet thieves don't spend the time to take a watch.
Old 22 April 2019, 01:33 AM   #32
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Watch snatching was very common in London in the 90's. Through car windows, some model lady, Linda Lusardi? i think had hers stolen through the sunroof of her car.

They used to target victims in traffic by Earls Court junction/A4, gang was very active for a long while. Was making headlines in the Standard on a weekly basis.

However they were seen wrestling through a car window with a victim and a visiting South African rugby team responded, gave chase. They caught 2 of them and gave them the hidings of their lives at the entrance to Earls Court tube.

The stolen watches were being fenced up at Hatton Gardens by all accounts. 2 caught were sentenced and sent up to Feltham young offenders as they were juveniles.
Old 22 April 2019, 02:52 AM   #33
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Saw it dozens of times with all types of watches, with leather bands and bracelets.

I used to work in a bar in LA called Merlin McFly's (Santa Monica actually) and they had magicians 2-3 nights a week going around doing table magic. And lots of them could remove watches, rings, bras, and God knows what else. I've seen them take the watch off a guy ask him the time and he looks at is wrist and the watch is now on the other wrist or on another person, or in someones pocket or purse.

It's all communication, misdirection and great hands. They do the watch thing while doing card tricks. The misdirection comes from the person concentration on one thing while something else is going on. And nobody at the table sees it happening. In all the time there I never once saw anyone realize it was happening. It's done by getting the guy to stand up and do something and hold something and the magician guides him through while touching him, his arm, his hand, his wrist, patting his back etc, all while talking about the card trick.

These guys all worked at the Magic Castle in LA if you ever get the chance to see them. It's still there I think.

they were in on the act,

thats why i dont believe it.

We used to have these hypnotic magicians who reckoned they could put people in a trance and have them carrying out different roles around the auditorium during the show, it was total rubbish, they were part of the act.

Put me in front of one of these magicians i guarantee my watch stays where it is,

think about it, you are actually saying somebody could unlock your watch, and take it off your wrist without you knowing,

lol.lol.
Old 22 April 2019, 02:55 AM   #34
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post

Put me in front of one of these magicians i guarantee my watch stays where it is,
Perhaps, but then your wallet would be gone.
Old 22 April 2019, 03:02 AM   #35
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Perhaps, but then your wallet would be gone.

there would need to be a weapon or a lot of physical to get either from me,

lol.
Old 22 April 2019, 03:02 AM   #36
jcdy
"TRF" Member

I have been pick-pocketed my phone while walking in Paris. But luckily not my watch. Has anyone got theirs on oyster bracelet stolen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2019, 03:06 AM   #37
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

think about it, you are actually saying somebody could unlock your watch, and take it off your wrist without you knowing,

lol.lol.
Yup. Everyone but you obviously.

These are customers off the street coming in for a drink or a meal. They were not on stage and the magic was for them, not an audience. That's why it's called table magic.

Apparently you don't understand the concept. He was doing card tricks, they were "helping". They were the mark. They had no prior knowledge that he was messing with them and taking their property. They were engaged in the misdirection of what he was doing with the cards. That's why its called misdirection.

Obviously if YOU were there you would have ignored what he was doing and stared at your watch, and may have noticed what he was actually doing. While you're staring at your watch he would have stolen your girlfriend.

Remember the easiest mark is the guy who thinks he knows it all. Magicians and bunko artists love these guys.
Old 22 April 2019, 03:07 AM   #38
jcdy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
Not today you wouldn’t!! First Red rain warning of 2019 struck today, and boy did it come down!

First red rain?

Old 22 April 2019, 03:47 AM   #39
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
they were in on the act,

thats why i dont believe it.

We used to have these hypnotic magicians who reckoned they could put people in a trance and have them carrying out different roles around the auditorium during the show, it was total rubbish, they were part of the act.

lol.lol.

Yes. That exactly happened to me by a magician at a school fundraiser. Lifted my Lange1 right off my wrist at a full table while showing me a card trick.

Never knew the watch was gone, nor did my friends until the “magician” came back a few minutes later to give my watch back.

Would never have believed possible.

Old 22 April 2019, 03:55 AM   #40
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

One of the many reasons I love Singapore.

The people of London and Europe know the truth.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 22 April 2019, 04:55 AM   #41
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Yup. Everyone but you obviously.

These are customers off the street coming in for a drink or a meal. They were not on stage and the magic was for them, not an audience. That's why it's called table magic.

Apparently you don't understand the concept. He was doing card tricks, they were "helping". They were the mark. They had no prior knowledge that he was messing with them and taking their property. They were engaged in the misdirection of what he was doing with the cards. That's why its called misdirection.

Obviously if YOU were there you would have ignored what he was doing and stared at your watch, and may have noticed what he was actually doing. While you're staring at your watch he would have stolen your girlfriend.

Remember the easiest mark is the guy who thinks he knows it all. Magicians and bunko artists love these guys.

But to get my watch off requires a physical effort as i have big hands, its quite a feat for me sometimes, especially on a hot clammy day, you telling me they can do all this and not only would i fail to see it, i would also fail to feel it,

i love magic like the next man, but this would be more akin to a miracle.
Old 22 April 2019, 04:56 AM   #42
jcdy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But to get my watch off requires a physical effort as i have big hands, its quite a feat for me sometimes, especially on a hot clammy day, you telling me they can do all this and not only would i fail to see it, i would also fail to feel it,

i love magic like the next man, but this would be more akin to a miracle.

I agree. I would just tense my hand and the watch on a bracelet wouldn’t go through.

Old 22 April 2019, 08:56 AM   #43
GED
"TRF" Member

Watch: d-d40wg
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
There’s been a fair bit of talk in this forum about watch values, security, travel and so on. I was sure that I’d written a post on this subject - but maybe not. Then I read a post by r_afficionado reporting his watch theft.

Lots of insurance companies will only cover your watch while travelling if it’s (a) on your wrist at the time or (b) in a safe. Therefore don’t leave it in a hotel bedside table.

It’s a rotten thing to consider but I have to ask: have any of you had your watch taken/stolen from you while you were wearing it? Is it a common thing?
Yes:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Aires
Old 22 April 2019, 01:53 PM   #44
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Yesterday in London
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-victim.html
Old 22 April 2019, 04:23 PM   #45
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
interesting goings on in the UK but at least in the USA men lose their rolexes to better looking culprits

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...508573271.html
Old 22 April 2019, 07:47 PM   #46
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
One of the many reasons I love Singapore.

The people of London and Europe know the truth.
But it cannot be told, it's even worse than you think.
The official crime rates are as low as ever
Old 22 April 2019, 08:05 PM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
It’s outside the Burlington Arcade if I remember rightly. Isn’t that Fortnum Masons across the road
Yes that's on Piccadilly right next to Bond St, the home of luxury watch shopping, so had me worried when I was last down there, but no one paid me any notice as usual, but still always best to be vigilante. Altho reports of moped crime are down since the police became proactive with ramming.
Old 23 April 2019, 04:00 AM   #48
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Altho reports of moped crime are down since the police became proactive with ramming.
They're allowed to chase again?
Old 23 April 2019, 04:52 AM   #49
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
They're allowed to chase again?

they were skateboarding, laughing and dancing the other day during the london protests.
Old 23 April 2019, 05:55 AM   #50
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Back in the 70's, when oil drilling was a Texas/Oklahoma thing even at the laborer level, the first thing a roughneck would buy when he got is first big paycheck at a far off site was a Rolex "President" in YG, likely with a barked band. Unfortunately the motorbike bandits figured out this was worth about a year's wages in places like Indonesia and they developed a style of tandem riding with the rider wielding a machete and riding off with the hand, the wrist and the watch all together. It didn't have to happen many times for folks to not wear their gold watches in public in poorer areas of the world.
Old 23 April 2019, 07:45 PM   #51
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
Back in the 70's, when oil drilling was a Texas/Oklahoma thing even at the laborer level, the first thing a roughneck would buy when he got is first big paycheck at a far off site was a Rolex "President" in YG, likely with a barked band. Unfortunately the motorbike bandits figured out this was worth about a year's wages in places like Indonesia and they developed a style of tandem riding with the rider wielding a machete and riding off with the hand, the wrist and the watch all together. It didn't have to happen many times for folks to not wear their gold watches in public in poorer areas of the world.
Is this why they called it a "Texas Timex," because everyone had one? Interesting story.
Old 17 October 2022, 05:18 AM   #52
xeninfinity
"TRF" Member

I had my Rolex DateJust 36 stolen in Barcelona in September this year. A random guy came and hugged me without consent. I tried to shake him off and walked away fast once he did. I was freaked out. A few moments later I saw that my watch was gone, so was the thief. Traumatic experience. Just so that it’s out there, the reference for my stolen watch is 256UP985 . Thankfully I have the box, papers, and receipt to prove ownership in the slightest chance my watch is recovered by the Barcelona Police.
Old 17 October 2022, 09:41 AM   #53
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Have you ever had your watch stolen from your wrist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeninfinity View Post
I had my Rolex DateJust 36 stolen in Barcelona in September this year. A random guy came and hugged me without consent. I tried to shake him off and walked away fast once he did. I was freaked out. A few moments later I saw that my watch was gone, so was the thief. Traumatic experience. Just so that it’s out there, the reference for my stolen watch is 256UP985 . Thankfully I have the box, papers, and receipt to prove ownership in the slightest chance my watch is recovered by the Barcelona Police.

Welcome to TRF. There is another way to help yourself improve chances of recovery.

Without going into great detail, I have recovered 2 of my 4 stolen Rolexes so just sharing in the spirit of communication. If you’ve already done some of these steps, just skip to the next step.

1. Start a new thread of your own and include pictures, descriptions and serial number. If you don’t have a personal photo, search Google images to find a matching image.

2. Report the theft to the Rolex Service Center that handles your homeland. They will want your police report number.

3. Tell your story and keep that thread alive by answering any fair questions that may help. Skip any rude comments and don’t stoop to their level - ask for civility to keep the thread open.

4. Much luck in your efforts - be proactive, not passive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Closed Thread