The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 October 2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Newbie to AP- need advice!

I'm mostly a Rolex (5 currently) and Panerai (2 currently) guy, but I stumbled across some pics of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202ST "Jumbo" on this site and I can't get it out of my head. I love the look of this watch. So beautiful, so classy yet sporty/rugged looking. The octagonal design, the bolts, the unique looking bracelet. I love it all. Especially the stainless steel with blue dial. The slim profile (so why is it called "jumbo"?) looks very comfortable as well.

Anyway, I get online to find a dealer- I must run down and try this thing on. I want to see the fit and the feel. I can't wait. Alas, I come to find out there are NO dealers in Arizona!

I think I may have to wait until I travel to Dallas later this month to see one. That said, are there any questions I need to ask when purchasing (especially a pre-owned one)? Any red flags? Any known problems or issues with this model? Any and all advice is appreciated. Obviously I would feel comfortable buying at the boutique but if the price is considerably less on the used market I want to be informed.

Tom
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 10:11 AM   #2
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

Just a heads up it's mostly found in boutiques. Finding one at an AD is a little tricky. Also there's no quick set date nor a seconds hand. It's called jumbo because it is similar to the original which was nicknamed that because it was large at the time.

For pre owned ask if its been serviced or polished. Detailed pics of watch, year of production, Box and papers included, etc.
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw15 View Post
Just a heads up it's mostly found in boutiques. Finding one at an AD is a little tricky. Also there's no quick set date nor a seconds hand. It's called jumbo because it is similar to the original which was nicknamed that because it was large at the time.

For pre owned ask if its been serviced or polished. Detailed pics of watch, year of production, Box and papers included, etc.
Good to know, re: the difference between a dealer and boutique, I had not thought about that difference. I just went back and looked at the AP site and Dallas has a "retailer" not a "boutique". I guess my closest boutique will be LA or Vegas. I do get to LA from time to time so that may be my best bet. I'm just hesitant to pull the trigger without ever seeing one in person. Maybe I will get lucky and cross paths with someone in town who has one!
Old 3 October 2015, 10:44 AM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Don’t exclude the 15400 from consideration, as at 10mm thick, it’s be thin enough compared to what you typically wear, without going to the even thinner 202.
Lack of seconds hand knocks the 202 on the head, for me – you’ll always be wondering if it’s still going. And no quick date set in this day and age? Don’t get me started on that, especially at the price they’ve a cheek to charge for it.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Honestly, i would skip the jumbo and look at the 15400.

Great watch
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 11:15 AM   #6
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
DavidSW
Old 3 October 2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Don’t exclude the 15400 from consideration, as at 10mm thick, it’s be thin enough compared to what you typically wear, without going to the even thinner 202.
Lack of seconds hand knocks the 202 on the head, for me – you’ll always be wondering if it’s still going. And no quick date set in this day and age? Don’t get me started on that, especially at the price they’ve a cheek to charge for it.
Thanks guys, I will definitely research the 15400. I know what you mean about the seconds hand. I have a PAM 390 (love the clean look) and I understand completely- I often check the time with a second source throughout the day to make sure it's running
Does the 15400 have quick set date? Looks similar but with second hand and a slighlty thicker case?
Old 3 October 2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Hyde Park Jewelers in Biltmore used to carry the brand however they still carry AP in their Colorado stores and may be able to source. My AD here in Chicago sometimes gets one in. I would also contact the NY AP Boutique. Hamra may have a used one in stock for you to try on. Happy hunting

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 11:58 AM   #9
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalf123 View Post
Thanks guys, I will definitely research the 15400. I know what you mean about the seconds hand. I have a PAM 390 (love the clean look) and I understand completely- I often check the time with a second source throughout the day to make sure it's running
Does the 15400 have quick set date? Looks similar but with second hand and a slighlty thicker case?
Yes, the 15400 has a quick set date. It's similar in Octagonal shape with second hands. The case is thicker at 10mm but trust me, it is a world of difference as I used to own a 15400 and then stop wearing and sold it it once the Jumbo comes in. There is no comparison in terms of proportions and perfect symmetry in the Jumbo which is so much more sleeker. By comparison, 15400 looks bloated.

You should try them both on to see which you like. In the end, it is a matter of individual taste.

Here's an enabling shot of the Jumbo for you.

And you can see more here :

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=356146
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 12:24 PM   #10
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Alex and Ben. I actually went to Hamra yesterday and Hyde Park today. They no longer carry - he checked w/ Colorado and none in stock. But even if they did, I am hesitant to buy before trying them on. Especially since now I'm not sure which one I want! I was leaning to the 15400 after the initial posts but Ben makes a strong argument and having owned both he seems a good source. I'm not a big guy although I enjoy wearing a 44mm Panerai occasionally. I think I'm going to have to hit a boutique and hope I can try one or both on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2015, 12:30 PM   #11
el1125
Banned

I would strongly suggest you try both on to see which fit/look you prefer. The 202 is perfect for me.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 12:59 PM   #12
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
X2. Got tired of my 15400 very fast. Went to 15202 and it's a permanent piece in my collection. And I have a pretty large wrist at 7.5" but the larger 15400 looked funny on my wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Yes, the 15400 has a quick set date. It's similar in Octagonal shape with second hands. The case is thicker at 10mm but trust me, it is a world of difference as I used to own a 15400 and then stop wearing and sold it it once the Jumbo comes in. There is no comparison in terms of proportions and perfect symmetry in the Jumbo which is so much more sleeker. By comparison, 15400 looks bloated.

You should try them both on to see which you like. In the end, it is a matter of individual taste.

Here's an enabling shot of the Jumbo for you.

And you can see more here :

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=356146
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 06:12 PM   #13
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Hey Tom, the jumbo is called that since it doesn't have a seconds hand and i just like to call it the OG royal oak. Before making a trip or anything like that for the watch its better to call and check if they have one available or if they could get you one, the 15400 has a quick set function but the 15202 doesn't thats the only thing that annoys a few owners.
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 11:03 PM   #14
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I've never seen the Jumbo at the Dallas AD. I would call them before visiting. I love the Jumbo and this would be my pick. The 15400 is very nice but it bothers me when the movement is too small for the case.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 01:07 AM   #15
prsdoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
One other thing to mention is the bracelets fit a wee bit differently from the 15202 and 15400. The 15202 at the lugs is a little less pliable, so it may not wrap around your wrist depending on size and shape (I have a smaller wrist 6.5"), vs the 15400 which has a more flexible case at the lugs. I liked the idea of the 15202, but when I tried it on at the boutique it fit terribly. 15400 fit like a glove. Both must be tried on to be sure.
prsdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 03:36 AM   #16
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

I would also choose 15202 over 15400 btw
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 03:39 AM   #17
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

You can try one on at Eiseman's in the Dallas North Park Mall. No guarantee they will still have it, but it has been there since April.

One caveat, it is the RG version; but, at least this will let you know how it feels and looks on your wrist.

Ask for Mike or Kevin. Great guys who really know their product.
Old 4 October 2015, 05:37 AM   #18
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Really appreciate all the advice and comments! This forum is great.

Ben that pic is adding fuel to the fire. Absolutely beautiful. JJ, I will try and go to Eiseman's when I visit Dallas in about 10 days- thanks for the tip.

As I continue to do my research I have a couple more questions:
How does the crown work on the 15202? There seems to be concern about water resistance, etc. Is it a screw down crown?

Also has anyone had to send one of these AP's in for work, repairs? There are stories of 4k service bills out there which freak me out a little. At a minimum I think I will get new or with plenty of warranty left if I go the AP route.

Finally has anyone owned both the AP 15202 and a Patek 5711? Would love to know your thoughts and comparisons. I'm not sure about the Patek bracelet look as much as the AP but I plan on looking at one as well.
Old 4 October 2015, 12:40 PM   #19
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I was recently in the market for my first AP also. I was interested in both the 15202 and the 15400.

I don't live anywhere near an AD or a boutique so in a recent trip to NYC I stopped by the boutique there. They didn't have a Jumbo for me to look at but I did try on a white dial 15400 and that was it for me. The size was perfect and the white dial had so much depth.

I would still like to try on a Jumbo sometime but I'm thrilled right now with my 15400 (also saved a few bucks).

Old 4 October 2015, 01:28 PM   #20
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Really appreciate all the advice and comments! This forum is great.

Ben that pic is adding fuel to the fire. Absolutely beautiful. JJ, I will try and go to Eiseman's when I visit Dallas in about 10 days- thanks for the tip.

As I continue to do my research I have a couple more questions:
How does the crown work on the 15202? There seems to be concern about water resistance, etc. Is it a screw down crown?

Also has anyone had to send one of these AP's in for work, repairs? There are stories of 4k service bills out there which freak me out a little. At a minimum I think I will get new or with plenty of warranty left if I go the AP route.

Finally has anyone owned both the AP 15202 and a Patek 5711? Would love to know your thoughts and comparisons. I'm not sure about the Patek bracelet look as much as the AP but I plan on looking at one as well.

On your Patek vs AP question the Patek is more low key and not as blingy (AP bracelet and its Octagonal bezel stand out more) if that makes sense. It's up to you what you prefer to wear. Also one is a two handed and the other is 3. Of coarse, if you can, get both!! They are both all time classics designed by Genta.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 05:34 PM   #21
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdoc View Post
One other thing to mention is the bracelets fit a wee bit differently from the 15202 and 15400. The 15202 at the lugs is a little less pliable, so it may not wrap around your wrist depending on size and shape (I have a smaller wrist 6.5"), vs the 15400 which has a more flexible case at the lugs. I liked the idea of the 15202, but when I tried it on at the boutique it fit terribly. 15400 fit like a glove. Both must be tried on to be sure.
I totally agree with you! I have a small wrist and when I tried the 15202 the bracelet looked very funny and I honestly hated the watch on my wrist. Whereas when putting on the 15400, I loved the way the bracelet took the shape of my wrist and although the 15400 is bigger than the 15202 it looked much better on my small wrist. I think I will buy the 15400 blue dial because I love it but in the back of my mind I am always worried that the 15202 is the IT watch. But again, one should buy what fits him best and what he loves and not what everyone thinks is THE watch to own... Definitely try both on and Good luck with your purchase.
dr.ns23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 08:14 PM   #22
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I was recently in the market for my first AP also. I was interested in both the 15202 and the 15400.

I don't live anywhere near an AD or a boutique so in a recent trip to NYC I stopped by the boutique there. They didn't have a Jumbo for me to look at but I did try on a SILVER dial 15400 and that was it for me. The size was perfect and the SILVER dial had so much depth.

I would still like to try on a Jumbo sometime but I'm thrilled right now with my 15400 (also saved a few bucks).
The dial is SILVER, it’s only ever been the datewheel that’s white…!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 09:37 PM   #23
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
The dial is SILVER, it’s only ever been the datewheel that’s white…!

Thanks for the correction. If I had a nickel for every time someone said white, I could buy a Jumbo!

Old 5 October 2015, 03:31 PM   #24
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, GS, JLC
I've owned other Royal Oak's as well but once the Jumbo came in those were quickly sold.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 10:32 PM   #25
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Update!

So I had the pleasure of stopping at Eiseman's yesterday in Dallas. First, I would highly recommend visiting this shop if you are in Dallas. They were friendly and accommodating, even though I was upfront and told them I needed to sell a watch (or 2) before I could buy. Heck, the owner even took off his 15400 and let me wear it a while. So big thanks to JJ for the recommendation. Mike and Kevin (and another lady) at the shop assisted me and were wonderful. I hope to give them my business soon.

I am so glad I was able to try on both the 15400 and the 15202. As a couple posters had mentioned in this thread when I tried the 15400 on it fit like a glove. But for me, when I tried on the slimmer 15202 (which is beautiful btw) it seemed wider or less compliant at the lugs. It almost flared out a little before it started to curve back toward my wrist. Hard to describe but if you have a smaller, or narrow wrist it could be an issue. The 15400 was beautiful, fit me right - and they had a black in stock! Wish I had taken a couple of pics

So what was the problem? The problem is I've had some watch money burning a hole in my pocket for a couple weeks. I've never owned a Daytona or a precious metal Rolex and I stumbled upon one I just had to have. So I picked up this beauty last week. I love it. I'm still glad I stopped by Eiseman's even though it was tough not to be able to walk out with the 15400 but hopefully one day soon. I definitely want to add it to my collection. I will leave you guys with a few parting pics of the Daytona anyway...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daytona.JPG (90.3 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg daytona2.JPG (105.2 KB, 461 views)
Old 14 October 2015, 10:34 PM   #26
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone know why my pics come out sideways?
Old 15 October 2015, 04:57 AM   #27
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I had the pleasure of stopping at Eiseman's yesterday in Dallas. First, I would highly recommend visiting this shop if you are in Dallas. They were friendly and accommodating, even though I was upfront and told them I needed to sell a watch (or 2) before I could buy. Heck, the owner even took off his 15400 and let me wear it a while. So big thanks to JJ for the recommendation. Mike and Kevin (and another lady) at the shop assisted me and were wonderful. I hope to give them my business soon.

I am so glad I was able to try on both the 15400 and the 15202. As a couple posters had mentioned in this thread when I tried the 15400 on it fit like a glove. But for me, when I tried on the slimmer 15202 (which is beautiful btw) it seemed wider or less compliant at the lugs. It almost flared out a little before it started to curve back toward my wrist. Hard to describe but if you have a smaller, or narrow wrist it could be an issue. The 15400 was beautiful, fit me right - and they had a black in stock! Wish I had taken a couple of pics

So what was the problem? The problem is I've had some watch money burning a hole in my pocket for a couple weeks. I've never owned a Daytona or a precious metal Rolex and I stumbled upon one I just had to have. So I picked up this beauty last week. I love it. I'm still glad I stopped by Eiseman's even though it was tough not to be able to walk out with the 15400 but hopefully one day soon. I definitely want to add it to my collection. I will leave you guys with a few parting pics of the Daytona anyway...
Glad to hear it went well with them!

I had the same experience with the 15202. The lugs just didn't fit as well and hug my wrist like they do with the 15400.
Old 15 October 2015, 06:18 AM   #28
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I think I prefer looking at a 15202 but prefer wearing a 15400
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2015, 06:39 AM   #29
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Really nice Daytona!
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2015, 06:50 AM   #30
Halothane