The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 December 2018, 05:07 AM   #1
John23
"TRF" Member

Warranty Issue - UK Rolex Service Center - West Malling

Hi All,
This is my first post on here.
Looking for some experienced opinions on this.
I have a 2017 submariner.
I’ve noticed two small chunks out of the very end link under the clasp and that the glidelock has been quite notchy recently.
(See pictures).
Technician at Rolex said the glidelock seems to be fine and the bracelet would have never left the factory in this condition and must have received an impact.
I pointed out that the damage is on the last link only which sits furthest under the clasp and reiterated that the glidelock has felt notchy recently.
I’ve never worn it fully extended so impact risk very unlikely particularly in an isolated area like that.
There’s no other damage to the watch which I also pointed out. I take good care of it.
I think the two issues here go hand in hand and there’s a fault with the glidelock / clasp which has damaged the end link.
I’ve left the watch with them to be examined by another technician with not much confidence that it will be fixed under warranty.
They offered to sell me a new link. I refused and said I believe it’s a warranty issue to be fixed by them.
What are your thoughts?
I have a feeling I’ll be fobbed off once the warranty technician looks at it.
Thanks in advance.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2DC7A0BD-B9CB-463D-9DDD-A99CF3C65937.jpeg (76.5 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpeg 7640263D-734B-4A4D-861F-060A96A5C2D1.jpeg (168.8 KB, 531 views)
John23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

If it is a manufacturing issue (damage) then it is 100% a warranty issue that should be covered by Rolex.

Its hard to imagine how you could have caused that kind of damage even with harsh wear.....

If I were in your shoes I'd be insisting on a warranty replacement. I could understand that kind of thing being overlooked because it looks like it is on your 'easy link' which would ordinarily be concealed (and protected) by the clasp.

Finally, if it was wear and you did the damage you would expect to see damage to the link to which the damaged easy link is joined but there is no apparent damage to that adjoining link. Hence this reinforces my view that it is a manufacturing (damage) issue.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:05 PM   #3
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with Steve’s analysis - and believe your contention - that you didn’t abuse it or cause the damage.

Because it’s been so long since you purchased it, I can also understand the RSC’s hesitance to come to your aid free of charge (at least until they inspect it further).

My guess is the link was made correctly but was damaged in an assembly or handling process before it became a part of your bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:07 PM   #4
John23
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your replies.
I will insist that they fix it - i was in there for around an hour yesterday insisting that they fix it under warranty but the technician was trying to convince me that it was impact damage and not a warranty issue.
I left there disappointed more than anything as I’ve only read good things about the warranty from Rolex.
If I had caused the damage I would have just bought a new link rather than fight it out with them and be without the watch for weeks.
It may be that the second technician has more discretion and rules in my favour; I’ll update you with the result.
Cheers,
John
Old 15 December 2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

If it is a warranty issue then all owners will have this issue. Otherwise you caused damage or are using glidelockin a way that causes damage.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:20 PM   #6
John23
"TRF" Member

Any advice on how to escalate this if they stand by what they said yesterday? It’s like being in a secure bank when you are in there. Talking through intercom with them disappearing out the back every 5 minutes to check
Old 15 December 2018, 07:44 PM   #7
John23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
If it is a warranty issue then all owners will have this issue. Otherwise you caused damage or are using glidelockin a way that causes damage.

It could also be an isolated quality control issue - to be fixed under warranty?
Old 15 December 2018, 08:17 PM   #8
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

You can't 'insist' on anything. I know West Malling, it's a weird building. But Rolex have the final say, and not the customer. To be honest, if you're at all confrontational....it won't help. With guarantee claims like this, you need their goodwill. Because none of us can know what really caused this; including you. Indeed, they have the expertise we inevitably lack, and a lot of time has passed.
Be friendly, admit the cause can't be proved, rely on them wanting to help. They don't have to, after all.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 08:52 PM   #9
watchmaker
TechXpert

In the UK you have six months to return an item with the burden of proof being on the seller/manufacturer to prove it was not faulty at time of sale. After six months the burden of proof is on you to prove that it was faulty at time of sale.

With external cosmetic damage you are hard pressed to be able to prove it was there when it was sold to you (short of photographs from the moment of purchase).

This is not to say that Rolex might not exercise some goodwill and do it free of charge. However if they do that should not be interpreted as a 'warranty repair'.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:40 PM   #10
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Very disappointing that Rolex or it's reps act in this way.

You can choose to go as high as you can, just to piss them off and for the fun of it. I'm sure you win. In my country they would have to pay a hefty court charge as well. John23 vs Rolex

Or simply buy a new link for some change
Old 15 December 2018, 10:07 PM   #11
John23
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the advice all
No litigation as yet!

Despite the frustrations I appreciate they are doing a job and are restricted on what they can and can’t do. I had higher expectations before I drove down there

It is only a link but I am concerned that there might be something wrong with the glidelock / easy link system which is why I left it with them for a closer look
Old 15 December 2018, 10:10 PM   #12
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand the issue at hand and believe that type of damage does not appear to be from a wear strike. Maybe something with the Glide lock clasp. I would go collect the watch. If the damage is hidden under the clasp then it is no big deal to me but you could have them remove the link and see if the clasp damages a different link. Need to be done with them involved. Also, a new link is not expensive so before I got a lot of time and energy tied up I might just buy one, have them install it and go on.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 10:11 PM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
You can't 'insist' on anything. I know West Malling, it's a weird building. But Rolex have the final say, and not the customer. To be honest, if you're at all confrontational....it won't help. With guarantee claims like this, you need their goodwill. Because none of us can know what really caused this; including you. Indeed, they have the expertise we inevitably lack, and a lot of time has passed.
Be friendly, admit the cause can't be proved, rely on them wanting to help. They don't have to, after all.
I agree, Rolex as ever are all powerful and your best bet is to be polite and charming. Obviously us Brits like to have the final say and make decisions unilaterally but not always possible against a Juggernaut with a veto.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 10:44 PM   #14
Eatapp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 Blue
Darn! Tough situation. How much would one of those links cost I wonder?
Eatapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 10:51 PM   #15
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Would you not entertain the fact the damage could of been your fault? I have never seen this issue before. Seriously, Rolex quality control incident?? Surely, if it was a fault you would of heard numerous faint grinding sounds from the guidelock?
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:36 PM   #16
John23
"TRF" Member

Hi All

Here is my update as promised;

Watch went in to West Malling just before Christmas

They were undecided as to what to do I think in part because the damaged “link” wasn’t just a link it was attached to the bracelet cover as one part (and must come at a higher cost)

My request for a fix under warranty went around various departments
They assured me along the way that it’s a characteristic of the watch to get scraped / damaged in this area due to the glidelock
My response was always that it’s not that old or been used heavily and honestly neither of us know how it happened and I’d be grateful for some goodwill given the circumstances (as was advised here, thank you)
they compared it to subs which were in for service which in the most part would have been older than mine

They gave me the watch back for Christmas whilst they spoke to head office in Geneva and in January they agreed a fix and to look at the movement whilst they had it (as a gesture of goodwill and not warranty repair!) once I had it back for Christmas I thought that was that and I wouldn’t get much further with them

The result was a new link and bracelet cover (which were stickered as when it was new) and they replaced the axel in the movement as this needed doing. I picked it up from st James instead of Kent so don’t know why they changed the axel or it’s significance - I’m no expert, just like wearing it! The glidelock feels so much smoother than it ever did and I maintain that there was a fault from new

All in all the people at Rolex were professional and kept me informed along the way (and gave me catalogue / or magazine each time I went there!)

Cheers, John
Old 23 February 2019, 11:41 PM   #17
Wristwatcherboy
"TRF" Member

Glad you got it sorted.

For what it’s worth, it certainly does not look like impact damage or user error. The notches/damage are the same on each side, with the link in the middle undamaged. Looks like assembly error from the factory, or wear and tear which shouldn’t happen so also points to a faulty clasp from the factory.

Shame that a technician at Rolex couldn’t see this quite obvious fact and you had to face an uphill battle with them. Not good customer service in my opinion.
Wristwatcherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:18 AM   #18
RichM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Glad to hear that John. Pays to be polite but persistent.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:27 AM   #19
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good deal.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:10 AM   #20
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Sounds a similar situation to me where I had to pretty much beg for them to fix things , they seem really against ever admitting any kind of defect.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=658469

Glad you eventually got it sorted , it should not have taken that much persuasion though very unprofessional.
agentsmith350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 07:54 AM   #21
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
Glad it all worked out
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 11:12 PM   #22
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Brilliant.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 11:26 PM   #23
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Nice !
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 05:37 AM   #24
R G
Banned

Rolex have a habit of not being able to accept a fault with anything. I think that they think there is always a home for blame...
R G is offline   Reply With Quote