The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 December 2018, 06:58 AM   #31
Deityjazz
Banned

It's understandable if you want to quit cycling because of your 3 years old kid. but truth is, this is life where anything can get you killed. if that cycling was your source of income am sure you might want to reconsider. i say do what you love doing. Life is a risk. Might wanna refer you to the "1000 ways to die" program
Deityjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:11 AM   #32
timedate
-

in my opinion i would pack it up,

roads are really for cars, pavements are for people, we live in a different time than 100 years ago, 50 percent of motorists i see are on the phone, speeding, angry, half asleep, and thats without those that are illegal, drunk or high,

i see road runners and cyclists everywhere, they need to get real. Its bloody dangerous.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:20 AM   #33
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

I ride on bike paths, whether paved or gravel. I will not ride on public streets. I enjoy cycling but I am not training for the TdF. There are too many distractions these days which is the reason why I gave up riding motorcycles as well.

Sucks you have had this experience, but glad the motorist made the best decision.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:42 AM   #34
timedate
-

i live not far from a place called milton keynes,

its known for its cycle network, known as the red ways, it was an idea inspired by the dutch system, you have over 200 miles which avoids all roads and can take you anywhere around milton keynes, the council spent an absolute fortune on it, thinking it would be well used,

the truth is, not many use it, its mainly used by walkers, the cyclists are still on the roads.
Old 14 December 2018, 08:55 AM   #35
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Florida is very dangerous for cycling on the roads. I think central Florida is the most dangerous in the country. My doctor who has been a friend of mine for years was almost killed in Winter Park about a year ago. He'll never be the same.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:45 AM   #36
marshp
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
I’ll make it short, yesterday while out riding my bicycle during a takeover a motorist (cyclist himself) had a split second decision to take : run me over and possibly kill me or drive off the road and total his car. Luckily he chose the second option.
Shakey and horrified i’ve decided to keep carrying on with my ride and of course it took me a full 2 hours to get back with myself.
But what is next ? My 8k euro brand new Colnago has a totally different mean to me now,I can’t yet elaborate if i’m just plain scared or whatever else. Seriously thinking of picking up gravel as there is no way i’m going back mtb..

Has this ever happened to you ? Should I just take some time off the bike ? I have a 3 years old kid ffs..
Never had such experience ,i'm happy you made it through that horrible moment...
marshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:48 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I use to ride often for exercise nothing crazy just 10-20 miles for some cardio. Then I got plowed into by an old geezer in florida on vacation. Now I get anxiety and cannot really enjoy it the same way I did before.

I have a hybrd so I try to stay on sidewalks and ride at off peak hours.
Old 14 December 2018, 11:46 AM   #38
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Florida is very dangerous for cycling on the roads. I think central Florida is the most dangerous in the country. My doctor who has been a friend of mine for years was almost killed in Winter Park about a year ago. He'll never be the same.

Yes I agree. I’ve had more close calls in FLA than anywhere else.

The only thing more dangerous than motorsports is cycling IMHO. I’ve lost just 2 friends in the sport - one on the track in his racecar at Road America and one on the road outside Sebring Raceway atop his bicycle.

Over past 40+ years, I’ve run 10’s of thousands of miles roadside, rode thousands of miles on bikes too. Had a few close shaves.

But times have changed...
Every week, every day, every hour we lose our safety to distracted drivers - that’s enough to change my perspective. So 2 years ago moved from roadsides to parks - found many with miles upon miles of paved pathways.

I will share this - on Sunday’s I’ve found industrial parks have zero traffic - and they have miles of roadway to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:57 AM   #39
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I’d love to go cycling but no way in hell am I doing it on the streets. I get so scared when I see people cycling with a small kid on the little stroller connected to their bike.

Only way I’d consider it is if bike on a trail where NO cars are allowed. But then it’s too inconvenient for me.

So now I run on a track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:33 PM   #40
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I had a few close calls on the triathlon bike. It’s always so sketchy riding on the open road with cars flying by. I chose to ride in the trainer a lot.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:57 PM   #41
timedate
-

its all the rage in oxford for the 'intellectuals' to ride their bike with a little kid attached to the back of the bike in a silly little dome thing on wheels, the kid has no choice, yet its all legal.
Old 14 December 2018, 05:19 PM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

The only thing more dangerous than motorsports is cycling IMHO. I’ve lost just 2 friends in the sport - one on the track in his racecar at Road America and one on the road outside Sebring Raceway atop his bicycle.

Over past 40+ years, I’ve run 10’s of thousands of miles roadside, rode thousands of miles on bikes too. Had a few close shaves.

Every week, every day, every hour we lose our safety to distracted drivers - that’s enough to change my perspective. So 2 years ago moved from roadsides to parks - found many with miles upon miles of paved pathways.

I will share this - on Sunday’s I’ve found industrial parks have zero traffic - and they have miles of roadway to use.

Smart man
Old 14 December 2018, 06:26 PM   #43
MinMay
Banned

I crashed my bike once...and never again (so I quit and sold it). Best decision.... I still have a lot to do and see in this world :)

It doesn't matter you're the best rider in this world, it's the other idiots on the road who can kill you.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:58 PM   #44
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
I crashed my bike once...and never again (so I quit and sold it). Best decision.... I still have a lot to do and see in this world :)

It doesn't matter you're the best rider in this world, it's the other idiots on the road who can kill you.
Took the decision myself. I just don’t feel right about even looking at my bike anymore. It’s for sale now,3 months old and costs like a car but I don’t care for the depreciation hit i’ll get,not a single cent.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:42 PM   #45
77T
2024 Pledge Member

What now ? ( almost got run over while cycling)

Quote:
Took the decision myself. I just don’t feel right about even looking at my bike anymore. It’s for sale now,3 months old and costs like a car but I don’t care for the depreciation hit i’ll get,not a single cent.

Yep that is a top of the line bike with a hefty price tag. Maybe your local retailer could let you consign it? Except for the coming Christmas shoppers there won’t be a strong buying cycle (no pun meant) until Spring.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:01 AM   #46
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Seems like you could just about trade that bike for a 2013 Prius.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:30 AM   #47
gettocard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Seems like you could just about trade that bike for a 2013 Prius.
Lol,my 2006 Prius still run just fine,it’s my Yaris Hybrid that needs to go asap.
Selling the bike to make funds for this. You can’t take the bike away from a cyclist,but at least it will be off road..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9FEFA09D-890B-4516-9B24-2515128A6185.jpeg (143.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 15 December 2018, 05:34 AM   #48
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

There are some really nice paved trails in Orlando, quite a few actually. In Ontario there are some very nice rail trails, trails that run where train tracks used to be. Very scenic. I can't go very far, just never built up for it. My wife can go on a long, long way, amazes me actually. Our bikes are the Devinci brand out of Quebec .
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:56 AM   #49
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Florida has some really weird bike lanes. A foot and a half, maybe 2 feet section on a four lane with 65mph speed limit. Come on, there is no way anyone in their right mind would ride on that. I try to stick to very country roads around horse farms and peach orchards. Not much traffic and people are used to slowing down for farm equipment. I travel all over the US and Florida definitely has some of the worst drivers.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:52 PM   #50
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
I raced road bikes for years (hence my handle) and then to switched to long distance mountain biking. Even mountain bike racing required training on the road. My typical almost daily road training ride was to climb three mountains near my home. Two of the three mountains were reasonably safe. However the roads to the mountains and the last mountain climb became more and more dangerous. After too many close calls I tried to train exclusively on the mountain bike. Very difficult to maintain the level of fitness I was used to without the road workouts. Last year I started trail running. I’ve done a couple ultra 50k’s and stage races as well as other trails races. Mostly run on the mountain trails and can take my dog! No cars whatsoever! It’s been a wonderful change!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:53 PM   #51
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I gave up road. Even running on roads is dangerous where I live so I generally avoid.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 12:18 AM   #52
gettocard
Banned

That’s it,today was officially my last ride after what happened. It took me a solid 30kms before I felt confident again,but even so I felt completely out of place. I will pick up running while I’ll wait for my bike to be sold. Running at 45 ? Man...i’ll need to look after my joints a lot I guess..

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 16 December 2018, 12:23 AM   #53
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Thankful you are okay. I am fearful for cyclists, one reason why I have never taken up cycling. What about swimming?
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 12:56 AM   #54
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Are you sure you want to do this?

Maybe give it a few weeks before you sell?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:36 AM   #55
nello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s it,today was officially my last ride after what happened. It took me a solid 30kms before I felt confident again,but even so I felt completely out of place. I will pick up running while I’ll wait for my bike to be sold. Running at 45 ? Man...i’ll need to look after my joints a lot I guess..

[IMG][/IMG]

Don’t do it brother. Get back on it immediately. I could not give it up. Ride somewhere safer.

I have been hit three times. Back in the 90’s in Maui, twice in one year.
The worst was a lady that accelerated from a stop and hit me head on. She turned right into me. The front rim was a taco and I was scraped up pretty bad.
The second was in the curvy area in Wailea. A box truck just bumped my handlebar while overtaking me in a downhill corner. I was thrown into the grass. No injuries or damage to my bike.
nello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:56 AM   #56
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

I did my first trail race at age 53 last year on my birthday. I actually just finished a 30K trail race this morning!

roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:32 AM   #57
gettocard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nello View Post
Don’t do it brother. Get back on it immediately. I could not give it up. Ride somewhere safer.

I have been hit three times. Back in the 90’s in Maui, twice in one year.
The worst was a lady that accelerated from a stop and hit me head on. She turned right into me. The front rim was a taco and I was scraped up pretty bad.
The second was in the curvy area in Wailea. A box truck just bumped my handlebar while overtaking me in a downhill corner. I was thrown into the grass. No injuries or damage to my bike.
Got back on the bike immediately,pic is from this morning. Again,it felt uncomfortable. As soon as I left town it felt ok but no fun,then when i’ve approached town again cars buzzing behind me felt uncomfortable.
Trust me,the area I live in is extremely safe,to the point that we often have pro teams spending winter here just for training.
Old 16 December 2018, 03:34 AM   #58
nello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Got back on the bike immediately,pic is from this morning. Again,it felt uncomfortable. As soon as I left town it felt ok but no fun,then when i’ve approached town again cars buzzing behind me felt uncomfortable..

Give it time.
nello is offline   Reply With Quote