The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 August 2017, 03:14 AM   #241
ARTISAN
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
bnib gmt ,,,,,,,,,,,on watchdealers.co.uk below list.
ARTISAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 03:24 AM   #242
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Looking in Wempe Bond Street yesterday and they still have a black GMT. Other shops in central London still bereft of ss sports models except the usual Explorers.
Old 7 August 2017, 03:31 AM   #243
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

All in all, a frustrating time for buyers in the UK!

Not sure what the point is of the Rolex catalogues they send me in the post - half the references in there are unavailable. Or only available if you're willing to put up wih the fun and games ADs play with wait lists.

Come to think of it, buying a new Rolex is becoming quite an unattractive proposition for me.

Contrast that with Patek, who also have big wait lists, but I find they're a lot clearer about when a watch is likely to arrive when you go on a list. And as they manufacture much fewer pieces than Rolex, you can kind of forgive them for a 12 month wait on popular references.
haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 04:38 AM   #244
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
All in all, a frustrating time for buyers in the UK!

Not sure what the point is of the Rolex catalogues they send me in the post - half the references in there are unavailable. Or only available if you're willing to put up wih the fun and games ADs play with wait lists.

Come to think of it, buying a new Rolex is becoming quite an unattractive proposition for me.

Contrast that with Patek, who also have big wait lists, but I find they're a lot clearer about when a watch is likely to arrive when you go on a list. And as they manufacture much fewer pieces than Rolex, you can kind of forgive them for a 12 month wait on popular references.
Agree with this - trying to get a white dial Daytona is virtually impossible. I have found it lot harder to find one than even a blue dial 5711.

This is now getting out of hand and Rolex need to do something to address the inventory issue. If it's a price rise then they should get on with it.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 04:48 AM   #245
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Agree with this - trying to get a white dial Daytona is virtually impossible. I have found it lot harder to find one than even a blue dial 5711.

This is now getting out of hand and Rolex need to do something to address the inventory issue. If it's a price rise then they should get on with it.
Somehow I managed to get a white dial 116500. I'm finding it very difficult to get a black dial! Went into an AD I've spent mid five figures (last 18 months) last month.

"Sorry we haven't had any in stock, but you're next on the list and will have one asap"

I knew that was BS as I know someone else who works there and they get one or two each month.

Anyway, I text the guy last week to chase it up. He tells me I should have it "in around 12 months".

Told me to my face ASAP, then behind the comfort of his mobile phone, 12 months. Totally bored of the stupid games now. It seems to happen on any semi desirable model. It's like dealing with an estate agent or used car salesman. Horrible experience every time.

I have another AD who I have spent a similar amount with, hoping they can look after me better. But to be honest, they seem to be playing the same games.

Aside from the US, are there any other countries with a plentiful supply of SS models? Or does the issue only affect the UK?

I've been in the US twice in the last 6 months. All models available immediately (including BLNR and Sub LV). D-Blue I was told would take a few days, possibly a week. SS Daytonas would be a 12 month wait, but they were happy to take my name. None of this 20 year waitlist BS we get in the UK. (SD43 and SS Skydweller hadn't hit stores, not sure on wait times there.)
Old 7 August 2017, 04:58 AM   #246
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

I've tried shopping for Rolex in the U.K. and have had some limited luck, but generally find the experience to be incredibly off putting. I am beyond thankful that I can easily shop in the US and, more so, through Trusted Dealers. I actually blame the retailers more than Rolex. Just look at London where all ADs are actually owned by a single head office. Without competition, there's no reason for the market to be any different. They need to open up the UK dealer network a bit so that there's some healthy competition and real fighting for business. Until then, its no wonder you have ridiculous wait times and silly rules (e.g., you can only buy a SS model when you buy a PM timepiece). How did Watches of Switzerland come to own all Rolex affiliates in such a major metropolitan area?!
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 05:05 AM   #247
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut4It View Post
I've tried shopping for Rolex in the U.K. and have had some limited luck, but generally find the experience to be incredibly off putting. I am beyond thankful that I can easily shop in the US and, more so, through Trusted Dealers. I actually blame the retailers more than Rolex. Just look at London where all ADs are actually owned by a single head office. Without competition, there's no reason for the market to be any different. They need to open up the UK dealer network a bit so that there's some healthy competition and real fighting for business. Until then, its no wonder you have ridiculous wait times and silly rules (e.g., you can only buy a SS model when you buy a PM timepiece). How did Watches of Switzerland come to own all Rolex affiliates in such a major metropolitan area?!
It looks like things are going in the opposite direction. Look how many smaller jewellers have lost the Rolex brand over the last five years or so, as they move to a more "boutique-led" model.

More competition and more supply would erode the perceived exclusivity and desirability (and residuals). So I guess it's a catch 22.
Old 7 August 2017, 05:11 AM   #248
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
UK is a joke for the more desirable SS models.

I agree with an earier post - IF it's a price increase they need to free up stock let's get on with it!

I've been waiting on a Daytona C since launch day and I'm puffed out listening to the empty promises....

Bored with the whole thing TBH.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 05:51 AM   #249
AnnemarieGirl
Banned

Agree with all these posts. I too have lost interest in the Rolex brand due to all these silly going on's and lack of inventory. In fact, aside from 2 watches I have kept for my boys, we sold the other Rolexes to Watchfinder just to get rid of them and get our money back. People do indeed get bored as mentioned above and I wonder if Rolex are really as exclusive as they imagine themselves to be? I've lost interest.

Note to Moderators: Can you please close my account on this forum permanently and remove all my details from both the forum and email subscription lists etc please, thanks. No longer a Rolex enthusiast. All the best, AM.
AnnemarieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 07:57 AM   #250
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Would you rather have more readily available stock and higher depreciation(ie Omega,etc) or the current situation?
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 08:49 AM   #251
Shaky
"TRF" Member

The biggest UK purchasing group. (Everyone from outside the UK) would prob go with more stock just so they can get their bargains.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 08:52 AM   #252
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenp View Post
Would you rather have more readily available stock and higher depreciation(ie Omega,etc) or the current situation?
The scenario you give there isn't really fair..

The US has got loads of stock and it still isn't like the omega situation you use.

So that's the best of both worlds. Having you cake and eating it..... or however you want to put it.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 09:32 AM   #253
qhbl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut4It View Post
Seems like we can teach Americans a few lessons in capitalism!!

Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold Black Dial 116618LN - 2016
qhbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 06:49 PM   #254
AlanY
"TRF" Member

just like to share my experience with the UK AD.

was in the showroom trying on a few Tudor BB and Pelagos, hardly any Rolex SS on display. went home and been advised by my other half to have a Rolex instead.

emailed the AD the following day for the availability of the Sub-C and been told that with a 5% deposit he was 100% certain to get me one within 3 months if not sooner therefore decided to put down the deposit with them, that was about 4 weeks ago.

got the call from the AD 3 weeks ago the Sub is here and been on my wrist ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0671.JPG (201.1 KB, 329 views)
AlanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 07:27 PM   #255
motlking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanY View Post

was in the showroom trying on a few Tudor BB and Pelagos, hardly any Rolex SS on display. went home and been advised by my other half to have a Rolex instead.

emailed the AD the following day for the availability of the Sub-C and been told that with a 5% deposit he was 100% certain to get me one within 3 months if not sooner therefore decided to put down the deposit with them, that was about 4 weeks ago.

got the call from the AD 3 weeks ago the Sub is here and been on my wrist ever since.
Hi Alan, congrats it looks beautiful!

Do you know if it was the same situation for the SubC Date? or is that just as hard to get?
motlking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 07:58 PM   #256
AlanY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motlking View Post
Hi Alan, congrats it looks beautiful!

Do you know if it was the same situation for the SubC Date? or is that just as hard to get?
when I was there to put down the deposit the lady at the AD shown me the waiting lists for both, I would had been 2nd on both but decided went for the non date. but when I made a causal call to the AD a couple of weeks later and told them I might consider the date version if available earlier then they told me that there is a long list, up to 12 months! obviously someone was telling porkies.
Old 9 August 2017, 08:13 PM   #257
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Looks great!

Always good to hear these success stories.
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 08:17 PM   #258
jamesreid978
"TRF" Member

I have seen the Sub ND in a few ADs a number of times over the last 6 months or so in the UK. I think it's availablility/demand is somewhere in between the explorer ii/milgause which are always available and the middle demand Sub Date/GMTc (black). It then goes further to the BLNR/DSSD Blue and then to the crazy Daytona C.
jamesreid978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 08:26 PM   #259
AlanY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesreid978 View Post
I have seen the Sub ND in a few ADs a number of times over the last 6 months or so in the UK. I think it's availablility/demand is somewhere in between the explorer ii/milgause which are always available and the middle demand Sub Date/GMTc (black). It then goes further to the BLNR/DSSD Blue and then to the crazy Daytona C.
also saw a Deepsea SS in Kingston last weekend, still to see the Daytona C in flesh
Old 9 August 2017, 09:32 PM   #260
Dave-B
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Just a heads up guys if anyone is after a SS GMT or Sub Date. See my post here https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=553548
Dave-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 11:05 PM   #261
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hello
Can I ask what dealer
thanks
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 12:29 AM   #262
AlanY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Hello
Can I ask what dealer
thanks
just PM'd you
Old 10 August 2017, 01:02 AM   #263
danbrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Kind of a sad thread as many of the SS models our pals in the UK want are readily available in the US. Probably easier said than done to find a pal in the US to buy it for you and ship it over. Does the incoming duty just make that a non-starter?
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 01:12 AM   #264
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew View Post
Kind of a sad thread as many of the SS models our pals in the UK want are readily available in the US. Probably easier said than done to find a pal in the US to buy it for you and ship it over. Does the incoming duty just make that a non-starter?
Due to weak GBP, MSRP in the USA works out a lot more expensive than in the UK.

Then on import we're hit for 20% VAT and a few percent of duty on the price of the watch plus the price of shipping.

All told it's just not worth it. It's cheaper just to buy from a UK based grey dealer, even if they're charging a premium.
Old 10 August 2017, 03:43 AM   #265
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
just PM'd you
No pm received
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 04:39 AM   #266
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

A few years ago when I bought my first Sub in the US surprisingly I had a tough time finding one at several local ADs.

Fast forward to today and I walk in pretty much any AD and have one immediatley.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 04:43 AM   #267
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I agree, the situation is really sad and maddening over there. I don't understand why it's so hard for Rolex to put watches onto the wrists of the people who love and want them.

It almost makes me feel guilty for being surrounded by SS sport models in every AD around me. Like my compatriot above, I wish there was a way we could help.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote