The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 December 2018, 07:24 PM   #1
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
What now ? ( almost got run over while cycling)

I’ll make it short, yesterday while out riding my bicycle during a takeover a motorist (cyclist himself) had a split second decision to take : run me over and possibly kill me or drive off the road and total his car. Luckily he chose the second option.
Shakey and horrified i’ve decided to keep carrying on with my ride and of course it took me a full 2 hours to get back with myself.
But what is next ? My 8k euro brand new Colnago has a totally different mean to me now,I can’t yet elaborate if i’m just plain scared or whatever else. Seriously thinking of picking up gravel as there is no way i’m going back mtb..

Has this ever happened to you ? Should I just take some time off the bike ? I have a 3 years old kid ffs..
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I used to run 6-10 miles a day. I almost got killed by cars about once a month. It's part of sharing roadways with vehicles driven by people who aren't always attentive. It does pay to be more attentive then the drivers.

Unless you plan to track your bike, it's going to keep happening. I'm kind of shocked that you're just now realizing that this hobby can take you out. It produces the most head injuries of any recreational sport, by a lot.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 08:00 PM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

As a daily cyclist in the Netherlands I have had several of these moments. Also got hit by a car on roundabouts twice, ass on the hood... Nothing serious but it gets your heart racing for sure.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
A crash will live with you for quite a while, it did for me. I was run off the road [black Saab convertible] while riding over railroad tracks which got my wheels stuck and last thing I knew I was skidding on my a$$ as a truck bumper screeched to a halt before hitting my head.

Took some time before I felt confident enough to get back on the road. Also took time for me to even bend over so even if I wanted to jump back in the saddle I needed to heal first.

Be glad you walked away, count your blessings, and stay safe on the road.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:20 PM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Wow, well I'm glad you made it out if that ok for the most part!!

I haven't had it happen but did witness a cyclist in downtown Toronto get his front wheel caught on the streetcar tracks on the road and tumble over literally 5 or so feet away from me.

I quickly stood on the road with my arms up signaling for cars to stop as a young couple behind me helped him up. He was terrified to get back on the bike, of course. Luckily he was ok and even the bike seemed fine.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:42 PM   #6
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
This is why I run in a safe area (the beach) and sold my motorcycle. Most likely, this is going to happen again.
If you are in a minor accident in a car, the metal gets damaged. If you are in a minor accident on a bike, you get damaged.
You've got a family. Sometimes you have to make the difficult decision.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:23 PM   #7
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I've been riding a long long time, and of course I've had many close calls. I gave up riding the motorcycle on the road when my son was born. I've also been nearly killed many times as a pedestrian in crosswalks on many more occasions, so it's not the bike, it's the traffic. That being said, many cyclists have soured our relationship with drivers and consequently they don't give cyclists much consideration anyway. At the end of the day, I'd say get back on your bike and ride defensively. Don't ride scared, ride defensively...and give drivers some consideration as well. Good luck to you.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:24 PM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
I’ll make it short, yesterday while out riding my bicycle during a takeover a motorist (cyclist himself) had a split second decision to take : run me over and possibly kill me or drive off the road and total his car. Luckily he chose the second option.
Shakey and horrified i’ve decided to keep carrying on with my ride and of course it took me a full 2 hours to get back with myself.
But what is next ? My 8k euro brand new Colnago has a totally different mean to me now,I can’t yet elaborate if i’m just plain scared or whatever else. Seriously thinking of picking up gravel as there is no way i’m going back mtb..

Has this ever happened to you ? Should I just take some time off the bike ? I have a 3 years old kid ffs..

I used to be a fairly active cyclist (before kids that is lol) and these events an be scary. What your feelings is akin to crash rust, and avoidance just fuels the anxiety of getting on the bike again. With that said, back then I had a flexible work schedule and would purposely schedule my rides around times when traffic was less and ride on roads I deemed safe. Reality is that you are far more likely to die in your daily commute to work in your car than in your bike, just for a bit of perspective. Now that I have kids I am a far different rider than I was, but I still go. But time off the bike may help you think, but also create more fear of getting back on.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:24 PM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Talk to Chad. RolexAddict.

He just had the closest brush with death I have heard of in forever. I am not sure if he shared here, so I do not want to share his story....

but omg......

horrifying really.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:30 PM   #10
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Motorists dont see motorcycles let alone pedal bikes. If you ride on the roadways your definitely taking your own life in your hands and need to keep your head on a swivel. I ride a motorcycle but not a bicycle. If I rode a bike I would strictly stay on bike paths.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:34 PM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
for me personally, I rode all over Boston for nearly 5 years as my means of transport.

had tons of wipeouts. one time following a cab that just stopped short I went over it. only busted my front rim. not a scratch on me.

then on thanksgiving day in 1996 I had a tiny minor fall before the feast. I spent 11 days in the hospital as they tried to repair my leg. I still have a steel rod in my left leg.

I have ridden since then. but very sparingly. I miss the freedom of it. but my brain will never recover.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:40 PM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry for the bad incident. I hope you realize how lucky you are that the person driving had the time, reactions and experience to make that decision.

I am a retired personal injury lawyer and avid cyclist. Over the last few years, I have handled many bike cases, including a few fatalities. In fact, this became a speciality area for my firm and we became active in several national cycling safety/legal organizations.

In short, there is no way in hell that I will EVER ride with traffic in urban areas again. The numerous close calls I had over the years did not get through my thick skull. Nor did the fact that recent incidents increased in frequency as texting drivers simply are not looking for us. Several of my cases involved texting drivers.

What it took was having to deal with the families of the last two fatalities. The cyclists were both doing everything right and had decades of experience. Ine was a former pro racer. Unfortunately, you have no protection from injury when you are hit by a car. Your body is the crumple zone.

So, I made the switch to gravel where I can stay on separated bike paths and more semi-rural roads. Even so, I try to avoid riding on pavement at all during rush hour, when most accidents seem to occur.

I actually much prefer my gravel bike now. I built a custom Eriksen groad bike and it is the last road bike I will have. My wife is laughing as I write this last point.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:45 PM   #13
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post

.... and it is the last road bike I will have. My wife is laughing as I write this last point.
Exactly. I'm on my fourth "last bike I'll ever own."
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:50 PM   #14
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I ride for pleasure, not transportation, and here where I live, there's a nice, connecting network of dedicated bike/pedestrian paths that run along our usually dry riverbeds. So between the poor road conditions and all the distracted driving going on these days, I avoid the surface streets and stick to those paths about 99% of the time.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:15 AM   #15
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Not sure why you wouldn’t go back to the mountain biking. Once I hit the dirt trails in ‘96, I’ve never looked back and this is coming from a former roadie.

I think the roads are so unsafe now for riding that I would never even consider going back to road.

When I switched disciplines, there was no such thing as iPhones, Internet and texting. Those are what will get you killed riding your bike.

Sure, you can get hurt in the woods, but that’s between you, the trails and rocks.

On the road, you don’t know when you’ll get whacked, but more than likely it’s a car with a distracted driver behind the wheel.

I’ll take my chances in the woods any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 December 2018, 12:44 AM   #16
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Talk to Chad. RolexAddict.

He just had the closest brush with death I have heard of in forever. I am not sure if he shared here, so I do not want to share his story....

but omg......

horrifying really.
Wow, I did not know this. I saw mention of him getting hurt on a bike, but didn't know it was so serious.

Drivers really suck. I run 3x/week and used to bike. I have been almost hit a number of times, including by a local cop (who stopped to apologize). Gotta be as defensive as possible, since you pay the price for their inattentiveness/stupidity/etc.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:45 AM   #17
gettocard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Not sure why you wouldn’t go back to the mountain biking. Once I hit the dirt trails in ‘96, I’ve never looked back and this is coming from a former roadie.
I just can't. The speed,the efficient effort uphill,nothing like that with a mountainbike.
I may seriously consider to add a gravel bike and keep my road bike for very rare rides..
Old 14 December 2018, 12:47 AM   #18
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I was a pro-cyclist for thirteen years and have spent many thousands of hours in the saddle. I have seen three fellow riders die while training together. I have been involved in three serious collisions with cars over the years. In the States, I live in the countryside, where I find it harder and harder to find “safe” places to ride. I currently find my solace in the mountains near my home where I can enjoy the pain of climbing to the top. I no longer race the downhills where once I was revered for my skills. The only place I can ride with abandon is on the trails with my mountain bike. I can’t abandon the rode entirely, because it is my first love, but it becomes more and more difficult. Best wishes.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:03 AM   #19
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Has anyone considered not exercising in the street? I know how passionate cyclists are but having a paramedic friend who says he responds to 2-3 of these a month. I said yeah but how many car accidents? He said most car accident victims don't need any attention at all but almost all cyclists are going to the ER or the coroner. Yeah, I don't cycle in the street but do love exercising on a stationary.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:12 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Has anyone considered not exercising in the street? I know how passionate cyclists are but having a paramedic friend who says he responds to 2-3 of these a month. I said yeah but how many car accidents? He said most car accident victims don't need any attention at all but almost all cyclists are going to the ER or the coroner. Yeah, I don't cycle in the street but do love exercising on a stationary.
I have a hard time motivating to train indoors. However, one avid cyclist friend has been spending winters on a Peloton and kicks my ass every spring. Maybe there is a lesson to be had for me there.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:33 AM   #21
Maybelline
Banned

Are there parks where you can ride that is off limits to cars?
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:51 AM   #22
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Yes, absolutely. As someone who is ridden for many, many years it is very scary. I had a crash a few years ago where something caught my wheel while I was doing 25 miles an hour. While I was on the side of the road I landed in the middle of the road and it is but for the sheer grace of God that the car didn’t run me over and kill me. It took me six months before I was able to get back on a bicycle and ride on the street.

I have many people I know who have been hit by cars. I wish I had good words or some sort of wisdom or insight to give you. There are other ways to exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:11 AM   #23
gettocard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
Are there parks where you can ride that is off limits to cars?
Not really. The options are coastal roads which are virtually traffic free during winter (now) and that’s where I ride or plenty of gravel options.
Old 14 December 2018, 05:17 AM   #24
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Unfortunately, if you ride a road bike, this is going to happen. The problem used to be people angry at cyclists for taking up the entire lane, etc. Now, cell phones are a major problem. Drivers just aren't paying attention. Like others have said, ride defensively and have courtesy out there. Get a few of those LED flashing lights and the radar system from Garmin. It pairs with your computer and beeps when cars are coming up behind you. Going off road isn't necessarily a better option. A lady I dated several years ago had a MTB crash and was injured almost as bad as me. Several broken ribs, shoulder blade, and collapsed lung. I also got my collarbone. We both spent a week in ICU with a chest tube because of the lung. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you view it), I don't remember anything about my crash. I have always picked my times and roads carefully because this is a hobby. Sometimes, bad shit just happens.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:24 AM   #25
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I used to run 6-10 miles a day. I almost got killed by cars about once a month. It's part of sharing roadways with vehicles driven by people who aren't always attentive. It does pay to be more attentive then the drivers.

Unless you plan to track your bike, it's going to keep happening. I'm kind of shocked that you're just now realizing that this hobby can take you out. It produces the most head injuries of any recreational sport, by a lot.
I've had people intentionally swerve at me before both while running and cycling. Two years ago, one of my teammates was out running and driver lost control and killed him. Got to pay attention to everything. I just shake my head at people who go out on the roads wearing earbuds. Crazy.
Old 14 December 2018, 05:32 AM   #26
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Unfortunately, if you ride a road bike, this is going to happen. The problem used to be people angry at cyclists for taking up the entire lane, etc. Now, cell phones are a major problem. Drivers just aren't paying attention. Like others have said, ride defensively and have courtesy out there. Get a few of those LED flashing lights and the radar system from Garmin. It pairs with your computer and beeps when cars are coming up behind you. Going off road isn't necessarily a better option. A lady I dated several years ago had a MTB crash and was injured almost as bad as me. Several broken ribs, shoulder blade, and collapsed lung. I also got my collarbone. We both spent a week in ICU with a chest tube because of the lung. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you view it), I don't remember anything about my crash. I have always picked my times and roads carefully because this is a hobby. Sometimes, bad shit just happens.
No designated cycling lanes I guess? That is the biggest perk over here, it is relatively safe and the whole road network was designed with the intention of a lot of cyclists. Still, accidents happen, but it is probably not even near as dangerous as on US roads.

I run on the cycling lanes as well, these days with sunset at 4:30pm and many cyclists without lights I am dodging them during my runs, keeps me alert and scares the sh#t out of them as they are all looking at their phone and not paying any attention to where they're going
Old 14 December 2018, 05:50 AM   #27
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
No designated cycling lanes I guess? That is the biggest perk over here, it is relatively safe and the whole road network was designed with the intention of a lot of cyclists. Still, accidents happen, but it is probably not even near as dangerous as on US roads.

I run on the cycling lanes as well, these days with sunset at 4:30pm and many cyclists without lights I am dodging them during my runs, keeps me alert and scares the sh#t out of them as they are all looking at their phone and not paying any attention to where they're going
Excuse the pun, but it's hit or miss over here regarding cycling lanes. It's nothing like parts of Europe where cyclists have their own lane protected from vehicles. Some states like Tennessee have a 4 foot law, but it depends on how strictly it's enforced. Some parts are great, some not so much. Up the road from me is the Cowpens National battleground. It's a Revolutionary War battle site with a 3 mile, very nicely paved road. I did most of my tri bike training there. You could hammer and not have to worry about cars. The biggest issues were deer and turkeys. During mating season, the turkeys were very aggressive. It's all fun and games until one of those big bastards chases you. FYI, they are NOT slow AND they CAN fly.
Old 14 December 2018, 06:13 AM   #28
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Excuse the pun, but it's hit or miss over here regarding cycling lanes. It's nothing like parts of Europe where cyclists have their own lane protected from vehicles. Some states like Tennessee have a 4 foot law, but it depends on how strictly it's enforced. Some parts are great, some not so much. Up the road from me is the Cowpens National battleground. It's a Revolutionary War battle site with a 3 mile, very nicely paved road. I did most of my tri bike training there. You could hammer and not have to worry about cars. The biggest issues were deer and turkeys. During mating season, the turkeys were very aggressive. It's all fun and games until one of those big bastards chases you. FYI, they are NOT slow AND they CAN fly.
Yeah these types of separate cycling lanes are great. They're not all like that and there are definitely some unsafe roads but most of them are great.

No turkeys though deer sometimes.

Attached two pictures of the two main types of cycling lanes, one separate and one just a dotted line on the road. The latter I don't run on in the dark, that's suicide.

Old 14 December 2018, 06:26 AM   #29
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post

That's a horrible experience.

As a cyclist and a runner myself, I basically assume everybody is out to kill me at any moment. So I ride / run defensively and accordingly. If there is a car next to me, I am assuming he/she is not looking and would run me over. So I avoid staying in situation like that.

The fact is that doesn't matter who is right or wrong, who has the right of way or what not, when there is a contact and they are bigger, heavier with more horsepower, they win, I lose. Simple as that. I don't care if they ended up going to jail, and there is a multi-million dollar law sue, its doesn't matter if I am already 6-feet under.

So my suggestion, regardless of who was right, continue riding, and ride away from situation of which you won't win. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 06:50 AM   #30
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Cycling lanes in NYC are terrible. Especially in Manhattan where EVERYONE (passenger cars, taxis, car service, NYPD) double parks. Its safer to ride outside the bike lanes