The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 December 2018, 09:42 PM   #1
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Has Honda quality went downhill?

I’m looking to add another hybrid car to my stable and i’m browsing around for an used 2010ish Honda Insight. It looks like there’s a general consensus that Honda lost a lot of quality check in the past 8/10 years,care to post your opinion and experiences ? Been driving Toyotas for the past 13 years,would be nice to test something else..
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:06 PM   #2
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
We have a fleet of Odyssey's at the shop, basically adding a new one every year or so, and my opinion of them has definitely gotten worse over the past 10 years. Recurring issues I've seen a lot of - Bad power steering system, second rate boots that lead to axel issues, door latches, the list isn't a short one.
Old 13 December 2018, 10:12 PM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
This seems to be the case with many things these days, sadly. It's always wise to do some research and delve deeper before jumping into anything.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:37 PM   #4
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
The owner of the company I work for has been driving Honda's exclusively for the last 25+ years but he's already told me that he'll be moving over to Toyota with his next purchase. He states suspension issues as the main reason for his consideration to leave.
My understanding is that they've gotten their automatic transmission problems sorted in recent years which is good news.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:25 PM   #5
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have been severely disappointed with our 2012 Acura MDX. We had to have the transmission replaced at 55k and fought a battle to get warranty coverage. Our dealer actually misrepresented the service protocols and Honda’s position on our claim and said because we did not follow them, we would be denied warranty coverage. Only when I wrote a letter on my law office letterhead pointing out that we followed all service recommendations in the manual, did they relent.

On another issue, we had the front electronically controlled struts fail. Apparently Honda had a rash of problems and extended warranty coverage for this item. However, no notice was ever sent (Honda’s malfeasance) and the dealer never volunteered this information (clearly a crappy dealer). Only upon discovering this when researching the tranny issue did I find we had been screwed over. I was able to get reimbursement after, again, a nasty letter.

Notoriously bad brake rotors required replacing early on. A lot of plastic parts falling off. All in all, we are seriously soured on this experience and would never buy another Honda product until they turn things around.

My Audi, on the other hand, a supreme experience.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:51 PM   #6
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Neither Toyota nor Honda are as reliable as they used to be. However, I'd still call them the top 2 reliability picks relative to everything else. Of the two, I'd give Toyota the edge.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:15 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I owned two Accords. 1998-2008 and 2008-2018. The earlier one was better in reliability, handling and enjoyment.

I now have an Audi A4 which runs rings around the Hondas in comfort, safety features (mostly due to new developments) and handling.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:52 AM   #8
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I have had a 4th gen sold with 230k 13 years ago and still see the guy driving it around. Never had to turn a wrench. A 7th gen I use as a daily errand runner with nearly 200k and only had to replace the rotors once and the idle air control I had a choice of about 20 at the local pick a part for $7. I also have a 9th gen toll road blaster with 60k never seen a wrench yet. I'm still impressed but keeping an eye on the reliability of the new tranny's and turbo engines. I do have to say the panel gaps on the exterior had gotten progressively worse whole the interiors have gotten class above. I'm still impressed
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:12 AM   #9
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Have a 2011 Accord coming up on 90k miles. Bought new and been great. No major issues outside of standard maintenance.

Before that had a used 2005 Accord that had some electrical issues with the CD player and started getting the “shakes” on the freeway, which is ultimately what led us to trade it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:44 AM   #10
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I have a lot of family members who have driven Hondas and Toyotas over the last 25 years.

They both might not be as good as they used to be, but I would never take a Toyota over a Honda.

Especially any of the current models.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:50 AM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Our 2018 Accord Touring is fantastic.

We have been buying Honda's since 1977. All cars have problems but I would continue to buy them.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:09 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'm on my fourth Honda, one of which I unfortunately totaled, but they have all been very reliable.

I've very satisfied with my 2013 Accord EX.

Also, Honda still offers manual transmissions in their midsize sedans, which for me is a big plus.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:50 AM   #13
swils8610

I’m biased as I run a Toyota dealership. I haven’t heard grumblings in the industry about Honda quality slipping. I will say this though. If you want a hybrid get a Toyota or Lexus. We have the best hybrid technology of any manufacture. I will also tell you it is by far the vehicle we see the least of in our shop. Many clients of ours have over 300k on them and they just go.
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:54 AM   #14
MP5

Agree with Toyota hybrids
Old 14 December 2018, 05:17 AM   #15
timedate
-

i spoke to a garage owner who has sold and serviced cars for 40 years,

my question to him was, 'so what are the best makes nowadays'?

his reply, 'none of them after the year 2000'

japanese still best, but he said too much computer, weak complex engines, weak gearbox, too much turbo, too many sensors and variables to go wrong, throw in the constant emissions regulations, and its all a poor deal.

i believe cars today are not as good as cars 25 years ago.

i have a 1992 toyota, its like new.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:49 AM   #16
Dyim
"TRF" Member

The latest gen odyssey apparently has a lot of issues.

Still waiting for them to sort it out so I can replace my last gen.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:34 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Toyoda ftw
Old 14 December 2018, 11:53 AM   #18
rph08
"TRF" Member

Can't say much about Honda's reliability. Our last Honda (Civic) was totaled before we got to 60K on the odometer, but I can tell you my Toyota has been very reliable. Just this morning I managed to dump an entire large sweet tea that I just picked up from Chick-Fil-A in the floorboard of my Tacoma. I'll have you know that dang truck didn't skip a beat.

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:54 AM   #19
AP8ESQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I’m biased as I run a Toyota dealership. I haven’t heard grumblings in the industry about Honda quality slipping. I will say this though. If you want a hybrid get a Toyota or Lexus. We have the best hybrid technology of any manufacture. I will also tell you it is by far the vehicle we see the least of in our shop. Many clients of ours have over 300k on them and they just go.
Have to respectfully disagree about the hybrid tech. Unfortunately for the OP Honda is only deploying their upscale tech on Acura at the moment but the Sport Hybrid system employed on the NSX; RLX and MDX runs circles around anything Toyota/ Lexus has to offer for hybrid technology. I may be biased since I drive a RLX sport hybrid but there is no other comparable hybrid system available outside Acura combining three electric motors to create an AWD system with fuel efficiency and power.
AP8ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:00 PM   #20
MP5

I think he was focused on how bullet proof they are
Old 14 December 2018, 12:37 PM   #21
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
My mechanic basically said the same thing. For Mercedes, nothing after 2000. That’s why I drive an ‘83.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post

japanese still best, but he said too much computer, weak complex engines, weak gearbox, too much turbo, too many sensors and variables to go wrong, throw in the constant emissions regulations, and its all a poor deal.

utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:59 PM   #22
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by utc66 View Post
My mechanic basically said the same thing. For Mercedes, nothing after 2000. That’s why I drive an ‘83.
lol, had a 1993 190 E 2.6.
Sold it... Now I think I should've kept it .
Ran great and easy to fix...
My 2008 320 Diesel isn't bad though... Runs great 144K miles
so far...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:14 PM   #23
swils8610

Has Honda quality went downhill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ View Post
Have to respectfully disagree about the hybrid tech. Unfortunately for the OP Honda is only deploying their upscale tech on Acura at the moment but the Sport Hybrid system employed on the NSX; RLX and MDX runs circles around anything Toyota/ Lexus has to offer for hybrid technology. I may be biased since I drive a RLX sport hybrid but there is no other comparable hybrid system available outside Acura combining three electric motors to create an AWD system with fuel efficiency and power.

I will admit I believe Honda And Toyota quality is equal except for the hybrid technology. Toyota now has an AWD Prius and the Rav 4 has been AWD hybrid for 2 years now. The hybrid technology in the Acura and Honda is Toyota’s previous generations technology which is great.
Honda and Acura are great quality vehicles...Toyota has led the way and has the best hybrid technology. Cheers...
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:23 PM   #24
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Toyota quality has dropped a bit, but still very good, in case you are thinking about a Toyota. Issues I have with toyota are like the new infotainment systems are terrible.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:26 PM   #25
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post

I'd push that number to like 2008-2009 and agree. At that point the push for efficiency took over. But I do think that 2000-2005ish was not as good as 2006-2009 at least in terms of Jaguar and Land Rover.
Old 14 December 2018, 02:26 PM   #26
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I have a lot of family members who have driven Hondas and Toyotas over the last 25 years.

They both might not be as good as they used to be, but I would never take a Toyota over a Honda.

Especially any of the current models.
Someone broke it down in a way I believe, Honda is a bit more advanced, and Toyota is more tried and true. Toyota > Honda reliability and then Honda is often more fun than Toyota. But tbh if I buy japanese it is for the reliability so I'll go toyota.
Old 14 December 2018, 02:27 PM   #27
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I owned two Accords. 1998-2008 and 2008-2018. The earlier one was better in reliability, handling and enjoyment.

I now have an Audi A4 which runs rings around the Hondas in comfort, safety features (mostly due to new developments) and handling.
I use to make so much money off of Audi owners. Especially A4
Old 14 December 2018, 02:49 PM   #28
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I take it that you are saying that Audi A4s are unreliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:03 PM   #29
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
No, very expensive upkeep. I seen a4 last without a hitch, others were a money pit.
Old 14 December 2018, 05:07 PM   #30
timedate
-

there is something about an old toyota or honda or other japanese,

they thought it out well, and delivered, just lately i often find myself looking through the classifieds for the 1 owner low mileage 1990s toyota or honda, you do see them quite often, garaged from new and the owner finally upgrades (or downgrades) to a new one.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote