The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2018, 10:39 AM   #1
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Is WG (or any PM) a complete scratch magnet?

I obviously know WG is significantly softer than SS, but is the 116619, or any PM for that matter, a complete scratch magnet? It took me quite some time to get down to two watches ((BLNR & LVc), and I’ve been kicking the tires on which watch could get me down to one. The 116619 is it, but the softness of the WG makes me nervous. Thank you very much in advance for any feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1543A9F4-81D3-4E19-8234-EADA1FBF7893.jpeg (19.0 KB, 777 views)
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:01 AM   #2
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Rolex WG isn't any softer or more prone to scratches than SS from my experience.

Wore a SS GMT BLNR daily for a year, then switched to a WG GMT Pepsi for the next year and both were about the same as far as scratches and other marks were concerned.

Safe!
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:03 AM   #3
Bigblu10
Banned

The most sensitive part of a PM watch regarding scratches are of course the mirror polished PCLs on the bracelet and especially the clasp. But the watches are plenty durable for everyday wearers. I wear mine daily and love it.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:06 AM   #4
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
Rolex WG isn't any softer or more prone to scratches than SS from my experience.

Wore a SS GMT BLNR daily for a year, then switched to a WG GMT Pepsi for the next year and both were about the same as far as scratches and other marks were concerned.

Safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
The most sensitive part of a PM watch regarding scratches are of course the mirror polished PCLs on the bracelet and especially the clasp. But the watches are plenty durable for everyday wearers. I wear mine daily and love it.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agree with these gentlemen! That about covers it. The scratches will show on PM, the same as SS, and just as often ...
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:12 AM   #5
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

ss is also a scratch magnet so i wouldn't worry much
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:28 AM   #6
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I have the YM II white gold and have worn it as a daily watch and, haven’t found it to be more or less scratch prone that ss. I also have the sub in wg.

inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:36 PM   #7
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agree. Wear my Sub (WG) and GMT (YG) as part of the weekly rotation and no issues
other than the ones mentioned by Bigblu 10.

Hard to go back to any of my SS watches after wearing PM.
Old 14 December 2018, 01:07 PM   #8
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Agree. Wear my Sub (WG) and GMT (YG) as part of the weekly rotation and no issues

This is why I have transitioned to PM. I especially like WG when I’m at work.

If you think any Rolex is a scratch magnet, I’d stay FAR AWAY from PP Nautilus and AP Royal Oak. These two invented scratches!
Old 14 December 2018, 01:10 PM   #9
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
I found the platona easy to mark up, but no issues with the WG BLRO. As others have said it is in line with SS
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:24 PM   #10
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post

If you think any Rolex is a scratch magnet, I’d stay FAR AWAY from PP Nautilus and AP Royal Oak. These two invented scratches!
#fact
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:36 PM   #11
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I have the YM II white gold and have worn it as a daily watch and, haven’t found it to be more or less scratch prone that ss. I also have the sub in wg.

wow, cool watches!
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:57 PM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Two thoughts:

Most of the guys who talk about the "softness" of PM don't have one, so they really don't have any idea of what they're talking about. Which makes you wonder why they're so eager to venture an opinion, but hey, that's a different topic.

Number two, having said all that, I wouldn't go down to just one watch with it being a PM, as much as I love PM. My recommendation would be to keep one of your steel watches. My two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:05 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
All metal scratches
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:19 AM   #14
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Yes, I have WG Daytona and DD40; just love them on the wrist. I wear them, alternatively, every day. They can scratch, but only like other watches. To enjoy them, you need to become a bit 'relaxed' about such issues.
Doubt that you would want to return to SS after a few weeks.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:34 AM   #15
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
I have yellow gold submariner and it definitely scratches way easier than any of my steel counterparts (same hardness as white gold...). It took just a week of light daily use and it had more harlines than my half year old steel submariner had that I pretty much traveled the world with.
With that said, the watch still looks and wear great.
Old 15 December 2018, 12:39 AM   #16
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I own a DD, a TT Sub and a 114060. While I am not hard on any of my watches (office job) I do not find the gold scratches any more than SS. I think the PCL's on the bluesy do mark up a bit, but not any more in my estimation than stainless steel PCL.

I wear my watches evenly, and in my experience at least, gold holds up just fine for everyday wear. Go for it.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:55 AM   #17
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
I have yellow gold submariner and it definitely scratches way easier than any of my steel counterparts (same hardness as white gold...). It took just a week of light daily use and it had more harlines than my half year old steel submariner had that I pretty much traveled the world with.
That’s not necessarily true, I believe white gold is harder than yellow gold due to the palladium mix in white gold.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:57 AM   #18
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Safe!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agree with these gentlemen! That about covers it. The scratches will show on PM, the same as SS, and just as often ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
I found the platona easy to mark up, but no issues with the WG BLRO. As others have said it is in line with SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
#fact
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Yes, I have WG Daytona and DD40; just love them on the wrist. I wear them, alternatively, every day. They can scratch, but only like other watches. To enjoy them, you need to become a bit 'relaxed' about such issues.
Doubt that you would want to return to SS after a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
I own a DD, a TT Sub and a 114060. While I am not hard on any of my watches (office job) I do not find the gold scratches any more than SS. I think the PCL's on the bluesy do mark up a bit, but not any more in my estimation than stainless steel PCL.

I wear my watches evenly, and in my experience at least, gold holds up just fine for everyday wear. Go for it.

Thanks so much for the input, fellas. I really appreciate it.
Old 15 December 2018, 01:06 AM   #19
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:

This is the gods honest truth. Their finishes are so fine that any scratch is highly visible. For whatever reason scratches on Rolex doesn’t bother me nearly as much as it does on those two brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:12 AM   #20
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
My personal experience is white gold scratches much easier than stainless. Here is a comparison. My smurf was pretty much a watch worn on vacation and otherwise very sparingly; my stainless sub was worn everyday to work. It was exposed to a lot of abuse. The stainless sub has also been worn close to twice the amount of years as the white gold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181116_171034 (Custom).jpg (47.1 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg 20181214_100349 (Custom).jpg (57.5 KB, 466 views)
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:14 AM   #21
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

I've had my Daytona WG OF for about two weeks now. Worn every single day. Not a single blemish and it's not like I've been babying it. In fact, my Yacht-Master had more minor scratches on it after it's first two weeks of wear.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:29 AM   #22
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My Smurf is as scratch prone as my Platona was. Not soft at all.

Quote:

Safe!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:35 AM   #23
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Keep one of your SS sports models............. just my $.02.

If I was you, I would sell the BLNR now while the market is nuts, and save for the 116619.
Keep the LVC.
That would be an amazing two watch combo...........IMHO
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:35 AM   #24
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Two thoughts:

Most of the guys who talk about the "softness" of PM don't have one, so they really don't have any idea of what they're talking about. Which makes you wonder why they're so eager to venture an opinion, but hey, that's a different topic.

Number two, having said all that, I wouldn't go down to just one watch with it being a PM, as much as I love PM. My recommendation would be to keep one of your steel watches. My two cents.

Exactly. That's the point of my post. I've never had a desire to own a PM until recently so I want to due my homework before I venture down that road. From the little research I've done, I understand that full hardened steel is around 70% harder than fully hardened white gold, but I wanted to find out from WG and other PM owners how that difference translates to normal, everyday wear. Desk dives and banging it on a doorknob or wall will scratch, dent, and ding any watch. SS scratches. 904L steel scratches. I get that. PM's are obviously more prone to scratches than SS, especially 904L, but I won't be interested in a 116619 if it scratches when I pet my dog or the wind blows too hard (those are exaggerations, obviously). Just trying to get an idea if it's glaringly obvious or it scratches but it's not nearly as noticeable as the numbers would lead me to believe.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 15 December 2018, 01:44 AM   #25
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
All metal scratches
Thanks Captain Obvious. I get that. I've been collecting luxury watches for 25+ years, and just recently purged my collection because I grew tired of watches I rarely wear taking up room in my safe and overthinking which watch to wear. Fully hardened SS is 70% harder than fully hardened WG, and I wanted to find out from WG and other PM owners how that difference translates to normal, everyday wear. Desk dives and banging it on a doorknob or wall will scratch, dent, and ding any watch. SS scratches. 904L steel scratches. I get that. PM's are obviously more prone to scratches than SS, but I won't be interested in a 116619 if it scratches when I set my arm on the armrest of a couch or the wind blows too hard (those are exaggerations, obviously). Just trying to get an idea if it's glaringly obvious or it scratches but it's not nearly as noticeable as the numbers would lead me to believe.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post I appreciate it.
Old 15 December 2018, 01:57 AM   #26
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I don't notice any difference in SS, WG , YG or RG. Nothing extreme about any of my Rolex collecting scratches
Old 15 December 2018, 02:00 AM   #27
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
I obviously know WG is significantly softer than SS, but is the 116619, or any PM for that matter, a complete scratch magnet? It took me quite some time to get down to two watches ((BLNR & LVc), and I’ve been kicking the tires on which watch could get me down to one. The 116619 is it, but the softness of the WG makes me nervous. Thank you very much in advance for any feedback.
I think this video might help answer some of your questions -
https://youtu.be/GOsB4zyBIWw
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:02 AM   #28
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Keep one of your SS sports models............. just my $.02.

If I was you, I would sell the BLNR now while the market is nuts, and save for the 116619.
Keep the LVC.
That would be an amazing two watch combo...........IMHO

Thanks for your .02. I really appreciate it. It took me some time to purge down to two after growing tired of WAY overthinking which watch to wear and watches I rarely wear taking up space in my safe. It's been rather freeing, and I will likely never have more than two watches again. My AD informed me I could have an 116619 within a couple day if I want one, and I've really considered heading down and purchasing it. It's not a monetary decision where I need to sell one or both of my current watches to fund it, but just a promise I made to myself that I won't own more than two and if I ever go down to one that it'll be a PM. I really love the 116619, but I'm not sure I love it any more than my current two.
Old 15 December 2018, 02:04 AM   #29
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I think it depends on how you wear it.

I don’t desk dive any of my watches and still the PCLs are filled with micro swirls and scratches.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:04 AM   #30
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
I think this video might help answer some of your questions -
https://youtu.be/GOsB4zyBIWw
Thank you so much for taking the time to shoot me that link. I'm not in a place to watch it right now, but I will be this afternoon and I very much look forward to it. Thanks again!