The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 February 2018, 07:57 AM   #1
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Tudor Vintage Buy Suggestions- At/Under 4K?

Long time lurker and now new member. Really like the degree of knowledge members show here in the vintage area.

While I own contemporary Rolex, I don't feel I have the expertise yet to wade into the deep part of the vintage Rolex pool, especially with all the fakes and franken watches out there. And at higher price points. Would like to, but with a bit more seasoning, research, and knowledge.

I am pretty much at 40mm for modern Rolex wrist-wise, and current Tudors are a bit too clunky in case and size for comfort at 41mm to pick up as wearers.

Wondering what vintage Tudors experienced members might recommend on average, and under 4-5k, in order to get a good handle on vintage buying and pick up an interesting Tudor piece or two. Already picked up a 75190 36mm which I like as a casual weekend piece.

Thanks so much, in advance.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

79090 is a homerun for me. Both blue and black heads only can be had for around that.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:16 AM   #3
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
792xx chronos can be had for that, especially some of the later ones. The 791xx big blocks are slightly out of your price range, but an early 792xx is a basically a slimmed down, sapphire crystal big block.

The Date-Days are cool too, not familiar with all the reference numbers for those though.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Watch: 79090 & 79180
Both of the suggestions from Gina and Silo are bang on. I’ve owned a big block, day + date and the 79090 sub and all 3 are fantastic references. Only the sub remains with me but I enjoyed my day + date so much, I’m hunting for one again.

Awesome watches with tremendous value, and only increasing.
Thegr8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
792xx chronos can be had for that, especially some of the later ones. The 791xx big blocks are slightly out of your price range, but an early 792xx is a basically a slimmed down, sapphire crystal big block.

The Date-Days are cool too, not familiar with all the reference numbers for those though.
As I’m currently researching them now, I believe the Tudor Day + Date references are 7017/x, 7019/x, 7020/x, 94500 & variants, 76200 & variants. I k know I haven’t included all the variants as I am focusing on the smooth bezels.

Good luck to the OP in your hunt.
Old 22 February 2018, 10:03 AM   #6
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the responses so far, but I guess I would like to up the ante, so to speak. For you experienced Tudor vintage hands is there a specific piece that you view as a collection "must have" if you can find one in the 4-5k range? Or even under? And your thoughts on how your Tudor vintage compares in handling, service, and value with similarly aged Breitling and Omega pieces which generally seem to be a bit more available.
Old 22 February 2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post
I appreciate the responses so far, but I guess I would like to up the ante, so to speak. For you experienced Tudor vintage hands is there a specific piece that you view as a collection "must have" if you can find one in the 4-5k range? Or even under? And your thoughts on how your Tudor vintage compares in handling, service, and value with similarly aged Breitling and Omega pieces which generally seem to be a bit more available.
Snowflake seems the be the cornerstone for many Tudor collectors. Many different models to choose from over many years. Getting harder to find and the prices are skyrocketing. I don’t think they are in reach for 5k now. The models Gina and Silo mentioned are pretty darn good options in your range.

I love everything about Tudor. They handle beautifully, super comfortable and have the Rolex pedigree. Servicing is slightly less than vintage Rolex in my experience but it may not be as cheap as the other brands, not sure.

Value is where they really shine. Like I said above, Rolex heritage, pedigree and many of the same parts used in the older models (minus movement). Tremendous value IMO.
Old 22 February 2018, 02:12 PM   #8
sillo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegr8one View Post
As I’m currently researching them now, I believe the Tudor Day + Date references are 7017/x, 7019/x, 7020/x, 94500 & variants, 76200 & variants. I k know I haven’t included all the variants as I am focusing on the smooth bezels.

Good luck to the OP in your hunt.
Appreciate that!

Quote:
In that range I'd look for the pre-tiger 792xx, it's a poor mans Daytona with the bonus of a date. Look for one with the Oysterdate dial with Rolex crown and signed caseback. If you look really hard you probably could find a big block for a little more than your budget. Check out this thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=40866&page=11.

Here's my 79260

I'd say Tudor > similarly aged Breitlings/Omegas. You're basically getting a Rolex with an ETA movement.

@TheGMTHand
Old 23 February 2018, 12:36 AM   #9
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate that!

In that range I'd look for the pre-tiger 792xx, it's a poor mans Daytona with the bonus of a date. Look for one with the Oysterdate dial with Rolex crown and signed caseback. If you look really hard you probably could find a big block for a little more than your budget. Check out this thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=40866&page=11.

Here's my 79260

I'd say Tudor > similarly aged Breitlings/Omegas. You're basically getting a Rolex with an ETA movement.

Beauty! I'm with you, I'm not a fan of the Tiger dials so would definitely focus on these pre Tiger dials. And even harder to find are the 792XX series with the acrylic crystal versus the sapphire. You could likely grab one of these for 4k if you are a strong negotiator.

If I ever purchase another Tudor Chrono it will be a 79270 with acrylic. I have not handled one in person but I suspect it will be more comfortable than my big block was with the slimmer case.
Old 24 February 2018, 12:46 AM   #10
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the great suggestions! Last question, do box and papers matter as much with vintage Tudor as they do with Rolex? Or does some confirmation after a Rolex servicing suffice? (Wondering if it would actually be worth bothering with RSC if it is an ETA movement).
Old 24 February 2018, 01:01 AM   #11
sillo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

ETA or Valjoux*

Quote:
Thanks all for the great suggestions! Last question, do box and papers matter as much with vintage Tudor as they do with Rolex? Or does some confirmation after a Rolex servicing suffice? (Wondering if it would actually be worth bothering with RSC if it is an ETA movement).
They can help value, but always look for a condition of the watch first. Can't wear the box and papers. Personally I wouldn't service a vintage Rolex/Tudor at RSC anyway.

@TheGMTHand
Old 24 February 2018, 01:08 AM   #12
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegr8one View Post
Beauty! I'm with you, I'm not a fan of the Tiger dials so would definitely focus on these pre Tiger dials. And even harder to find are the 792XX series with the acrylic crystal versus the sapphire. You could likely grab one of these for 4k if you are a strong negotiator.

If I ever purchase another Tudor Chrono it will be a 79270 with acrylic. I have not handled one in person but I suspect it will be more comfortable than my big block was with the slimmer case.
I have never seen or read about a 792x0 chrono with plexi crystal.

As far as I know, when they changed to the sleeker case of the 792x0 they changed to sapphire crystals. They kept the Rolex references for a while (signed crown, "Original Oyster Case..." legend on the case back, and Oysterdate on the dial), and eventually transitioned to the Tudor signed equivalents. But even the transitional were all sapphire if I am not mistaken.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote