The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2018, 12:55 PM   #31
Mousehunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK, SD43, Hulk
I guess things might be different. New models will just be unfulfilled promises, but guess if anything is discontinued that will be upfront
Mousehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 01:59 PM   #32
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Crikey, I wasn't expecting such gloomy responses from Rolex's biggest fan club.

FWIW it looks like Rolex are listening and trying to reduce the waiting by discouraging the flipping and the reselling to grey dealers.

There has been quite a few novelties in the past couple of years so I'm not holding my breath for BW2018. Only hoping for a bigger SS Daytona and a Sub with slim lugs. Who knows, they might even surprise us with something totally unexpected. Even if I'm not planning on buying anything or just can't for lack of availability, it's still fun to check out their latest stuff.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:11 PM   #33
brian15876
"TRF" Member

I feel like all anyone talks about lately is speculation for Basel...
brian15876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:19 PM   #34
vandave
"TRF" Member

I’m thinking about buying a Submariner No Date. If I were to buy in the next few weeks, would a typical AD give you the option to buy the new model with your deposit, should one come out at BW?

Or do they cancel your order for the old model because it’s no longer being made and put you on the list for the new model, presumably at a higher price?
vandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 05:00 PM   #35
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

What's good is the hype? Lets said even if a new SS GMT pepsi is introduced, chance is you won't be able to get it anyway within a few years
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 07:33 PM   #36
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Calm before the storm...
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:47 PM   #37
Donnyal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Well the fact that we are 11 months past the last Basel and we still can't even buy the watches they introduced last year puts a damper on the enthusiasm
Exactly this^^
Donnyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:23 PM   #38
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
One year is such a short time with Rolex.

It does not make whole lot of difference if you buy new, 1 year old or 20 year old Rolex, all built to last. Limited supply, artificial or not, is the key of my interest among superior quality. If Rolex would be like some other brands, you can get any model whenever you want and watches are designed to last 10 years - i would buy only Apple watch, because lifecycle and value would have lost it’s meaning.

Thank god Rolex is not stockmarket company. The wisest thing behind Rolex is that charity foundation based business structure makes most market oriented short term goals irrelevant. And 10 years is short term with Rolex, a time most watches won’t even last.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:27 PM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Crikey, I wasn't expecting such gloomy responses from Rolex's biggest fan club.

FWIW it looks like Rolex are listening and trying to reduce the waiting by discouraging the flipping and the reselling to grey dealers.

There has been quite a few novelties in the past couple of years so I'm not holding my breath for BW2018. Only hoping for a bigger SS Daytona and a Sub with slim lugs. Who knows, they might even surprise us with something totally unexpected. Even if I'm not planning on buying anything or just can't for lack of availability, it's still fun to check out their latest stuff.
this would be very welcomed. I feel like most of the releases the last few years were logical progressions and not anything very unexpected.

the RG YM on OF was probably the last time i was surprised.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:28 PM   #40
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
In fact I have give up Rolex because of their way to treat their customers. They just make sure it should be a hell to get their
products to listprice. It's their own fault the market is like it is because they control the market and always put too little
watches out to the dealers. At the same time they force the dealers to have expensive shops at expensive streets but no
interesting watches for sale.

So the last years have made me looks at brand where the customer is valuable and be treated in a way as a customers should.
It's sad to say but I think Rolex have to change their strategy if they will keep the customers which has an interest of watches
and not only the status that will follow with a Rolex.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:38 PM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It seems to me like Basel could be held once every two years instead of every year. I mean it seems like we just got through the last one.

Maybe if the industry made a bigger splash with new releases every two or three years it would create a little more mystique and buyers would get more excited ...

Just a thought

I guess they still have to produce and ship though
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:50 PM   #42
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am always interested in seeing what new or modified models current brands are doing. For Rolex, I am continually disappointed in the unavailability of models and the hype that goes with the watches. No reason to get excited though because anything hot will not be available for along time at AD's and the Grey Market will push the prices up on the models that are in their stock. Supplied by AD's.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:52 PM   #43
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
In fact I have give up Rolex because of their way to treat their customers. They just make sure it should be a hell to get their
products to listprice. It's their own fault the market is like it is because they control the market and always put too little
watches out to the dealers. At the same time they force the dealers to have expensive shops at expensive streets but no
interesting watches for sale.

So the last years have made me looks at brand where the customer is valuable and be treated in a way as a customers should.
It's sad to say but I think Rolex have to change their strategy if they will keep the customers which has an interest of watches
and not only the status that will follow with a Rolex.
Jocke i do get your point which is a valid one. It is tough to not be able to get what you want when you want it or at least within some reasonable time. It is tough to walk into an AD and being treated like s$$t yet this in not entirely Rolex's fault but the tossers that run some ADs. But do remember that Rolex has a massive following compared to the brands your attention has been drawn upon. Not everyone will be satisfied. If it happened so Rolex would be Casio.

In my opinion, it is nice to have that feel of exclusivity and the benefit of no depreciation because of the lack of instant availability on some models in production. And it is evident beyond all doubt to me that Daytona, Sky Dweller and even BLNR and LV are produced in very small numbers these days.

I may have to pay list to get my favorite SS model but if the s$$t hits the fan and i have to sell or if i need to flip for an upgrade i will get my money back.

I know what i say is not applicable to a wealthy hard core collector but at the end of the day Rolex has taken it to the direction that only hard core collectors (wealthy or not) will invest the amount of time required at the current market to locate and buy what they like.

And most importantly they will be less likely to flip once they get their hands to their model of preference thus not flooding the market with second hand watches driving prices and Rolex image down.

Omega on the other hand...you can get most Omegas anytime you walk into an AD...but they do depreciate a lot compared to Rolex once stickers are off. All Omega cares about is selling they do not seem bothered if the market is flooding with second hand watches. At least this is my impression of Rolex's direct competitor.

It is tough to draw a line or balance on how exclusive should Rolex watches be but i prefer the feeling of exclusivity. Rolex certainly does not want a market flooded with its watches and i believe what they are doing now is in the right direction of controlling the second hand market. Too much supply would mean lesser desirability and lower prices and that would be bad on the image of the brand.

Of course there are people who legitimately complain of the lack of availability and i understand it is a pain not being able to get something when you want it. but this makes you want it more. At least on the largest portion of consumers.

To Paul's point, this year is much less anticipated because of the problem Jocke is pointing at...another side effect creating some controversy about the desirability of the brand...

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:53 PM   #44
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well the fact that we are 11 months past the last Basel and we still can't even buy the watches they introduced last year puts a damper on the enthusiasm
^^^ what he said.

Oh, and a dealer said i was #1 and still waiting.... Heck, i went ahead and got the SS SKyD blue elsewhere, and when i went into the my local Rolex AD last week neither of the two salespeople there at Mayors had ever physically seen the SkyD blue. Of course let them wear it/whatever so they could see/touch it. It's my daily beater, so sure some scratches on her right now (big smile).

So... if salespeople at a Rolex AD haven't seen a SS SkyD blue, it makes me wonder..........

So yes, why get excited about this year's new releases if too few can buy last year's then new models. And no, i'm not a flipper and have been collecting mechanical timepieces for over two decades, so WTF??!!??!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:10 PM   #45
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So true, I’ll recap my situation.

2016 Basel Release - received 10/16
2016 Basel release - received 1/18
2017 Basel release - still waiting.

It’s exhausting and I’m hoping I’m strong enough to not jump on a 2018 release to be delivered in 2021.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:16 PM   #46
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Just wondering something I was checking the website today and Basel is one month away. Now, I could be wrong (Usually am ) but there doesn't seem to be much "Hype" this year. I am thinking last year, we had threads and threads of discussion on predictions, desires, fails etc. But it seems to this WIS that this year is somewhat subdued(?). Does anybody else sense that we are not as excited about this Basel as years past?

No Paul... only you... you're the only one.
I don't think there's much Basel hype because I don't think we will see many changes from a purely aesthetic standpoint. People get hyped over the new colors, bezels, size changes. I think we will see very little in this respect and probably get movement updates. I am expecting subtle refinement and improvement on deviation standards.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:46 PM   #47
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I don't think there's much Basel hype because I don't think we will see many changes from a purely aesthetic standpoint. People get hyped over the new colors, bezels, size changes. I think we will see very little in this respect and probably get movement updates. I am expecting subtle refinement and improvement on deviation standards.
And this is how Rolex has always done it staying true to it’s roots which is how many like me like it!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:54 PM   #48
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
I generally don’t pay much attention to Basel. My taste runs to the classic and it’s rare that something new comes out and really grabs my attention in a sort of “I have to have this in Day 1” sort of way. I mean, we’re talking about watches here, not Apple products. They don’t have a limited life, they don’t become obsolete, and they don’t get replaced often.

That said, this is the first Basel that I’ll be watching intently for Rolex’s offerings. Because if they do come out with a brushed bracelet steel Coke bezel GMT, I’ll be putting my name on the waiting list for one. The two years it’ll take for me to get one should give me enough time to get the money together to pay for it!
Old 24 February 2018, 11:59 PM   #49
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis View Post
Jocke i do get your point which is a valid one. It is tough to not be able to get what you want when you want it or at least within some reasonable time. It is tough to walk into an AD and being treated like s$$t yet this in not entirely Rolex's fault but the tossers that run some ADs. But do remember that Rolex has a massive following compared to the brands your attention has been drawn upon. Not everyone will be satisfied. If it happened so Rolex would be Casio.

In my opinion, it is nice to have that feel of exclusivity and the benefit of no depreciation because of the lack of instant availability on some models in production. And it is evident beyond all doubt to me that Daytona, Sky Dweller and even BLNR and LV are produced in very small numbers these days.

I may have to pay list to get my favorite SS model but if the s$$t hits the fan and i have to sell or if i need to flip for an upgrade i will get my money back.

I know what i say is not applicable to a wealthy hard core collector but at the end of the day Rolex has taken it to the direction that only hard core collectors (wealthy or not) will invest the amount of time required at the current market to locate and buy what they like.

And most importantly they will be less likely to flip once they get their hands to their model of preference thus not flooding the market with second hand watches driving prices and Rolex image down.

Omega on the other hand...you can get most Omegas anytime you walk into an AD...but they do depreciate a lot compared to Rolex once stickers are off. All Omega cares about is selling they do not seem bothered if the market is flooding with second hand watches. At least this is my impression of Rolex's direct competitor.

It is tough to draw a line or balance on how exclusive should Rolex watches be but i prefer the feeling of exclusivity. Rolex certainly does not want a market flooded with its watches and i believe what they are doing now is in the right direction of controlling the second hand market. Too much supply would mean lesser desirability and lower prices and that would be bad on the image of the brand.

Of course there are people who legitimately complain of the lack of availability and i understand it is a pain not being able to get something when you want it. but this makes you want it more. At least on the largest portion of consumers.

To Paul's point, this year is much less anticipated because of the problem Jocke is pointing at...another side effect creating some controversy about the desirability of the brand...
I think you and Jocke both raise good points and hit the nail right on the head. Its this current states that lead to my recent post about Basel Fatigue. I see both points, but I think Rolex is near a tipping point. I appreciate the exclusivity, but the behaviours that this is driving (ie some AD's holding back warranty cards, 2 year waiting lists, obscene pricing over MSRP etc) is risking turning loyal customers away from the brand. Rolex could produce more watches, still have reasonable waiting lists and make good profits. The balance is off.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:05 AM   #50
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Just wondering something I was checking the website today and Basel is one month away. Now, I could be wrong (Usually am ) but there doesn't seem to be much "Hype" this year. I am thinking last year, we had threads and threads of discussion on predictions, desires, fails etc. But it seems to this WIS that this year is somewhat subdued(?). Does anybody else sense that we are not as excited about this Basel as years past?

No Paul... only you... you're the only one.
Well speaking for myself Basel has not excited me over the past 10 plus years Rolex wise and expect it will be the same this year.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:12 AM   #51
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Is it me? Basel 2018 one month away but not much hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Well speaking for myself Basel has not excited me over the past 10 plus years Rolex wise and expect it will be the same this year.

Good to “see” ya Peter. Yes, it’s lost some of its allure.

But the most hype has been usually a week before the show on their YouTube channel. The one from last year went public the 17th for the “reveal” on the 22nd.

https://youtu.be/e94AnI4mreg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:27 AM   #52
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
The whining begins? It never has stopped so how can it begin again?
Fair enough
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:42 AM   #53
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Isn't Basel all but dead as a notable event anyway? If it weren't for Rolex and Patek, hardly much interesting stuff going on there and as many have said, actual releases from both brands are pretty much als real as any photoshop mockup circulated here to most of us, as in: we get to look at the picture, but that's all we'll ever see of it.

Just get a Breitling instead, at least that makes me happy, and they really know how to treat their clients...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:41 AM   #54
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
And this is how Rolex has always done it staying true to it’s roots which is how many like me like it!
Precisely. I think Rolex has "modernized" (if you want to call it that) pretty much its entire line. Tinkering with successful design for the sake of tinkering often results in mistakes. I like where everything is as far as size and design. Maybe a new dial here or there. Maybe a new complication would be nice. Otherwise I'd like to see the brand tweak and improve the movement.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:44 AM   #55
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Glad you're back Peter.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:18 AM   #56
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Very good to see you, Peter!
Old 25 February 2018, 02:31 AM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I always get excited. Rolex and Tudor and to some degree Patek get me excited.
Old 25 February 2018, 02:38 AM   #58
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

The other brands did such a great job at SIHH that Rolex will have a hard time to keep the hype

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
GaloCinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:02 AM   #59
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I’m going to start collecting IWC. Rolex is playing too many games! Do you have the watch available or not?! FOH
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:49 AM   #60
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Truth be told, I have been a Rolex fan since the late 80s, when I saw a DJ ref 15000 my uncle wearing at a family gathering. This was when I was still living in Italy. Sports models over there have ALWAYS been extremely hard to obtain. Long waitlists, calling numerous ADs to be given the same answer over and over.. I did get lucky on a handful of occasions with ADs in Switzerland (5513, 16570 black, 16600, 16700 pepsi, a 16523 champagne and a couple of Tudor big block 79180), but it wasn't until I moved to the US in the mid 90s that sports models became easier to obtain. For me, that was until about 2007-2010 when I realized my best chance at acquiring certain sports refs was thru the so called Trusted Sellers. Since I don't want to have to buy a bunch of lady or mens DD or DJ so I can hopefully have a BLNR or 116610LV or 116500, I would rather pay more and start to enjoy sooner as opposed to later...
So, to answer the original question, am I excited about Baselworld? In a way, but like other members have said, if watches are not even available almost a year after the previous show, what is there to get excited about the upcoming one?
Notheless, I'll be in Basel for the first time this year and will at least get some good pictures of the new releases if that's the closest I'll ever get to them!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote