The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 February 2018, 03:03 PM   #1
E46seca
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1675 All RED GMT 24hr Hand

I’m interested in knowing if any one can shed some light on the late 70’s mainly 5 mil serial 1675 GMT’s that came with the all red GMT hand ? I’ve seen some sold by the likes of Bulang & Sons.....

P.S. The black bezel version by the way ?

How rare are these and where they made for specific market like the blueberry insert version ?

Thanks in advance for any info
E46seca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 06:26 PM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
They never came with all-red-hands then and have obviously been added by someone. These red hands were a phenomenon found mostly during the 1960s - both the small and large 24-hour hands. My belief is that they were nothing more than regular hands that were mistakenly painted completely red at the time of manufacture.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:04 AM   #3
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
No one can be sure. But I don't think, they were mistakenly painted. There is a japanese Rolex brochure where we can find an allred GMT hand. Don't think, that Rolex would have print this brochure, with an allred painted completely red by a mistake....

rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:13 AM   #4
E46seca
"TRF" Member

I have to agree this was not a mistake I've seen the red hand on the Bulang & Sons and there def factory painted.

I've never been able to get a 100% answer on this..

Anyone else wanna jump in and shed some light ??

Thanks fellows ...
Old 25 February 2018, 03:21 AM   #5
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46seca View Post
I have to agree this was not a mistake I've seen the red hand on the Bulang & Sons and there def factory painted.

Thanks fellows ...
How can you tell it is def factory painted?

I think most of these are painted later as there is a premium for this. Go back just 5-10 years and no one hardly even had heard of the all red hand. Now they are everywhere. Add to this all the radial, blueberry all red hand GMTs out there. Personally I wouldn’t pay a cent extra for this feature.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:40 AM   #6
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
How can you tell it is def factory painted?

I think most of these are painted later as there is a premium for this. Go back just 5-10 years and no one hardly even had heard of the all red hand. Now they are everywhere. Add to this all the radial, blueberry all red hand GMTs out there. Personally I wouldn’t pay a cent extra for this feature.
I agree entirely, and by the way with regards to the " Blueberry " Bezel ?? I have yet to meet any Rolex dealer ( Authorised ) who can remember selling a 1675 with a Blue insert at any time!!!! I myself think it's a case of " The Emperors new clothes "
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:29 AM   #7
E46seca
"TRF" Member

I disagree I've seen them and there factory additions like another member added there does exist a Japanese brochure which shows an all red hand so proof does exist.

I think like anything that has risen in value 300-500% in past years pieces and watches that normally people didn't think were worth much are now coming up more commonly but not because there altered additions.

PS blueberrys were know 100% to be sold by middle eastern dealers and the issue for navy usage by EU Rolex. Facts
Old 25 February 2018, 04:44 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I disagree I've seen them and there factory additions like another member added there does exist a Japanese brochure which shows an all red hand so proof does exist.

I think like anything that has risen in value 300-500% in past years pieces and watches that normally people didn't think were worth much are now coming up more commonly but not because there altered additions.

PS blueberrys were know 100% to be sold by middle eastern dealers and the issue for navy usage by EU Rolex. Facts
Facts? Please share. As far as I know there aren’t really many facts when it comes to things like these. There are many examples out there but personally I’d say most are project watches.

Of course the red hands exist. The question is how many of them left the factory all red. As they basically weren’t around in the past and now are quite common it makes you wonder. No?

Blue bezel inserts are correct. I agree. I am however not certain of the use as these are often paired with rare configurations such as UAE eagle dials, FAP etc and the pretty rare radial matte. Personally I think it is a service item which were available in some places. I have seen pics of literally hundreds of blue bezels in one place so the question is how rare they are in reality. A rumour says they were made in Italy and not by Rolex. Then the question is if they have been produced after Rolex stopped buying them. Who knows? Would be a nice extra income to push out a few extras as prices are as they are. :)
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:51 AM   #9
E46seca
"TRF" Member

Agreed it would be a nice income... and yes also agree that the all red hand was in fact a factory item just not as common.

My question was mainly due to a he fact that I've seen some around from very reputable dealers sell them. There's one now for sale on eBay and considering making an offer.

Thanks for the insight
Old 25 February 2018, 05:21 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks fellows ...
I never said the originals were not painted by the Rolex manufacturer. There is no reason for them to be painted completely red unless it was a mistake. Agree or disagree, makes no difference to me. Until I see anything substantive, it seems logical to me.

Most of the ones you see now are definitely repainted - whether you agree or not - Bulang or no Bulang.

Since you already seem to have the answer - why bother asking?

Below is a "stash" of hands from a watchmaker - photo taken about a decade ago. Notice the top right corner for a clear view of an all red-24-hour hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red hand.gmt.jpg (265.6 KB, 754 views)

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 25 February 2018, 05:44 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agreed it would be a nice income... and yes also agree that the all red hand was in fact a factory item just not as common.

My question was mainly due to a he fact that I've seen some around from very reputable dealers sell them. There's one now for sale on eBay and considering making an offer.

Thanks for the insight
I've seen watches from "reputable dealers" with incorrect dials, inserts or other parts as well as incorrect or cobbled together accessories many times in the past, so seeing something incorrect from a supposed reputable dealer or seller is not anything new.

Old 25 February 2018, 05:51 AM   #12
E46seca
"TRF" Member

I'm asking because I don't know 100% I felt I was right but needed an additional opinion/answer to reassure what I felt I knew ? Make sense ?

So to end the discussion and final answer ? Is yes Rolex did produce a factory all red hand for the GMT ?
Old 25 February 2018, 06:21 AM   #13
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

Nobody can tell you. It’s a religion thing;-)
suligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 07:38 AM   #14
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
I doubt we will ever know unless Rolex opens their archives. I have found these all red hands in watchmaker bins & on watches (mostly around 3 million serials) for twenty years or more. Never paid attention as their was no difference in price. M
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 07:54 AM   #15
E46seca
"TRF" Member

Watchcrank agreed ... until the last 3-5 years several models have gone through the roof therefore more people are now paying attention to what certain key items are worth.

But overall it seems like there rare not common and Rolex did produce them.

Thanks for sharing everyone

Old 25 February 2018, 08:01 AM   #16
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

This is a very interesting thread. Blueberry, all red hand, etc.... I've chosen to stay away and buy top condition examples of known and classic referecnes.
Old 25 February 2018, 08:07 AM   #17
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
This is a very interesting thread. Blueberry, all red hand, etc.... I've chosen to stay away and buy top condition examples of known and classic referecnes.
That's basically where I'm at as well...
coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 07:53 PM   #18
Elle84
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Tiger Eye 1675
Blue Berry + Red Hand exist.. usually found on mk3 (radial) Dial.

There are many counterfeit of course due to the hight price this setup goes, personally i don't see this gap of prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I've seen watches from "reputable dealers" with incorrect dials, inserts or other parts as well as incorrect or cobbled together accessories many times in the past, so seeing something incorrect from a supposed reputable dealer or seller is not anything new.
Sellers just sell watches, it may have a later dial or later hands (case, bracelets etc) this do not mean the watch is unsellable or fake, only the collector look for a watch "all correct" and it is part of the "collector passion" - of course it should reflect on the price
Elle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 09:04 PM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

More and more you see these on somehow perfect sets! They never seem to appear on ratty old pieces! Anyone ever see a faded old blueberry insert on a battered and over-polished, service-dialled 1675??

Springer, I’m with you!
Old 5 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #20
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
That's right with those blueberrys. Maybe they were Rolex factory produced. But I am sure, meanwhile there are many fake pieces out there......
rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:24 AM   #21
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle84 View Post
Blue Berry + Red Hand exist.. usually found on mk3 (radial) Dial.
often with a Tiffany insignia right?
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 01:47 AM   #22
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
often with a Tiffany insignia right?
No. UAE eagle.
Old 6 March 2018, 05:04 AM   #23
uniemaia
"TRF" Member

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
uniemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 07:27 AM   #24
springer
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=Elle84;8334297]Blue Berry + Red Hand exist.. usually found on mk3 (radial) Dial.

That's because they are "created" and only found in the minds of those creating them. The "creators" have taken three of the rarest GMT parts and created their own watch.