The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2020, 10:04 AM   #31
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
That is so unrealistic that it wasn’t even worth the effort to type it..

No reason whatsoever for Rolex AD to discount at all.

The full price is a more than fair price.
My friend the S in MSRP stands for Suggested...if you don’t ask you don’t get. If an AD can’t swing a 5% discount, then they are not interested in building a customer relationship. It’s not like they need that 5% to scrape by one more day

At worst they will say no, at best they will give it, or even say no to discount but throw in some other gifts. Then the customer walks out feeling great about the sale and the experience. A win-win

An AD certainly doesn’t have to discount, there are consequences either way.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 10:52 AM   #32
Rolexcouple
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
msrp is the new discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolexcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:06 AM   #33
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
msrp is the new discount
Yep ^
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:08 AM   #34
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
These are mass produced, shiny, luxury watches.

Always ask for a discount. Start at 20%
Quite the comment from someone who started a thread titled "the shortage is turning into a desert".

Start at 20% if you want but be aware you'll be finishing at 0% and feel incredibly silly.
Old 1 December 2020, 11:16 AM   #35
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryano1028 View Post
Hello All,

Over the past year I’ve been fairly absent in monitoring prices/state of ADs with other things in life becoming more important. I am now in the market for one of two pieces and was surprised at the price increase over the last year or so.

DD 40 YG and Full YG Sub with Blue bezel are the two I would entertain and be happy with. I recall both models being in the mid-upper 20s just a year ago and most ADs would offer 15-20% off full PM pieces at the time bringing them to around 30.

I’m now seeing both watches secondary closer to retail. My question is, what is a fair price for a full PM DD40 or YG Sub in today’s market? Are ADs offering discounts on PM still? Or is secondary still the way to go, if so, what are y’all seeing for actual pricing?

Thank you!
No discount on the WG Sub and you'll likely have a long wait time.

On the DD I would expect 10-15% at my AD and it should come in fairly quickly (max few months, could be sooner).

Maybe I live in a strange market but I've purchased several PM pieces (2 Daytona oyster flex, blue dial WG GMT) at a discount. Paid full price for meteorite, smurf, submariner though.
ScottishRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:33 AM   #36
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
Quite the comment from someone who started a thread titled "the shortage is turning into a desert".

Start at 20% if you want but be aware you'll be finishing at 0% and feel incredibly silly.
You would settle for paying full MSRP for a fully precious metal, mass produced luxury piece of jewelry...LOL

That is ridiculous.
Old 1 December 2020, 11:34 AM   #37
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:

Yeah, and I love the whole ‘it’s a mass produced watch spiel’.

Gives me the giggles every time I hear about how unavailable these mass produced watches are from ADs.

So much for the supposed implication of something being mass produced.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:35 AM   #38
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You would settle for paying full MSRP for a fully precious metal, mass produced luxury piece of jewelry...LOL

That is ridiculous.
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:35 AM   #39
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That is ridiculous.
You would make a thread comparing Rolex availability to a desert and ask for 20% discount... LOL
Old 1 December 2020, 11:41 AM   #40
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You would make a thread comparing Rolex availability to a desert and ask for 20% discount... LOL
I asked for 5% on my Explorer. They said no. I thanked them and walked out and bought it from a Grey for way more than 5% discount

It is a desert, just means I am not going to buy now. Will wait for prices to drop. If not, no big deal, I have my Explorer. Plenty of other great watch brands out there

It’s just a watch guys...
Old 1 December 2020, 11:42 AM   #41
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I asked for 5% on my Explorer. They said no. I thanked them and walked out and bought it from a Grey for way more than 5% discount

It is a desert, just means I am not going to buy now. Will wait for prices to drop. If not, no big deal, I have my Explorer. Plenty of other great watch brands out there

It is just a watch, I agree. When did you buy your Explorer and was it BNIB/stickered from the grey?
Old 1 December 2020, 11:50 AM   #42
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is just a watch, I agree. When did you buy your Explorer and was it BNIB/stickered from the grey?
April of 2018. Was preowned from a trusted seller here. No stickers on it, was preowned with someone else’s name on the card.

I did give the AD a chance, I had a long convo with them. Asked for a discount, they said no, very politely. Chatted some more as I was still tempted to buy it right there. Asked them to show me how the EasyLink worked. The SA had no idea what an EasyLink was. I thanked them kindly and walked out. No feelings were hurt on either side.

Bought an OP in 2018 for my dad, asked for discount got 5%.

I love Rolex but I am under no illusion that they are just fancy watches that are all the rage right now. The bubble may pop or not. Either way I am good. I will still walk into ADs asking to see models as I enjoy looking at them as much as wearing them. But not absolutely necessary for me to have any more.
Old 1 December 2020, 11:51 AM   #43
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

The world was a lot different in 2018
Old 1 December 2020, 11:52 AM   #44
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ok. We'll be waiting for you when you purchase your PM with a 20% discount. Keep us posted.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:54 AM   #45
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
The world was a lot different in 2018
The shortage had begun. But not crazy like it is now.

Maybe what hurts me is that I remember walking into ADs before 2016 and seeing subs galore and just asking to try one on would be immediately met with “ I can give you 10% off”. 15 was not much harder
Old 1 December 2020, 11:55 AM   #46
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Ok. We'll be waiting for you when you purchase your PM with a 20% discount. Keep us posted.
No plans to my friend. But if I do I will ask. Unless something will happen to me that I am not aware of if I ask politely?

As long as the S in MSRP stands for Suggested I will always ask
Old 1 December 2020, 11:57 AM   #47
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
April of 2018... No stickers on it, was preowned with someone else’s name on the card.

I did give the AD a chance...
You are comparing apples with oranges. Again, the market has shifted. I bought an 124060 on Saturday from an AD for £6,450. I could sell it to a grey dealer today for £10,000. Even the Explorer is going over list right now.

The 114060 I still own and bought for £5,750 is an easy £7.5-£8k now. Things aren't as they were.

I bought an explorer used 18 months ago for £4k when MSRP was £5k and sold it to my friend for £4k after a few months. He could sell that for 20% more all day easily, probably 30% more today. Only a year later -- things change, the market has shifted.
Old 1 December 2020, 11:57 AM   #48
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
The shortage had begun. But not crazy like it is now.

Maybe what hurts me is that I remember walking into ADs before 2016 and seeing subs galore and just asking to try one on would be immediately met with “ I can give you 10% off”. 15 was not much harder
Those definitely were the good old days....
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:59 AM   #49
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are comparing apples with oranges. Again, the market has shifted. I bought an 124060 on Saturday from an AD for £6,450. I could sell it to a grey dealer today for £10,000. Even the Explorer is going over list right now.

The 114060 I still own and bought for £5,750 is an easy £7.5-£8k now. Things aren't as they were.

I bought an explorer used 18 months ago for £4k when MSRP was £5k and sold it to my friend for £4k after a few months. He could sell that for 20% more all day easily, probably 30% more today. Only a year later -- things change, the market has shifted.
Agreed. But I still think discount on steeply marked up precious metal models is reasonable. And worst they can say is no.
Old 1 December 2020, 12:01 PM   #50
Rolexcouple
"TRF" Member

Yawn same story of 2016/2017/2018 tons of subs and discount.(which we all have) When I’m in my AD the phone just rings and rings asking for entry level and sport steel models. Discounts are laughable although asked for politely.

Why would any rational business person sell something at a discount when you could readily sell it at its “suggested” retail?

Old 1 December 2020, 12:02 PM   #51
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agreed. But I still think discount on steeply marked up precious metal models is reasonable. And worst they can say is no.
nothing wrong with asking but you said start at 20% which is just shameless. you'd be lucky to get 5% off today (you won't)
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 12:03 PM   #52
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I agree this wont last. But I still think in the grand scheme of things people will do ok if they just buy at MSRP and don’t pay grey market premiums
Old 1 December 2020, 12:04 PM   #53
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexcouple View Post
Yawn same story of 2016/2017/2018 tons of subs and discount.(which we all have) When I’m in my AD the phone just rings and rings asking for entry level and sport steel models. Discounts are laughable although asked for politely.

Why would any rational business person sell something at a discount when you could readily sell it at its “suggested” retail?

They won’t. That’s why this is unrealistic.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 12:07 PM   #54
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Agree with you that it never hurts to ask, but in present climate expect zero discount. ADs aren't in a hurry to sell and they know that they will be able to sell at their price.
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 12:09 PM   #55
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because of relationship building. What does granting 5% discount really cost the AD...

Does the AD want to make a one off sale for as much money as he can squeeze out of the customer, risking burning the bridge in the process? Or make a customer for life that will lead to many more sales down the road?

Last time I checked ADs sell other things than just Rolexes
Old 1 December 2020, 12:11 PM   #56
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
They won’t. That’s why this is unrealistic.
For a large part of my life I thought me ever being in the position to buy one Rolex, let alone multiple, was extremely unrealistic...
Old 1 December 2020, 12:12 PM   #57
Rolexcouple
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because of relationship building. What does granting 5% discount really cost the AD...

Does the AD want to make a one off sale for as much money as he can squeeze out of the customer, risking burning the bridge in the process? Or make a customer for life that will lead to many more sales down the road?

Last time I checked ADs sell other things than just Rolexes

Relationship building? You seem very naive as typically in today’s climate people are having to buy the AD other things to get the Rolex you specified (explorer) at msrp let alone discount. Nothing wrong with asking but just saying ask all you want it’s unrealistic and it costs 5% exactly.

Old 1 December 2020, 12:17 PM   #58
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What does granting 5% discount really cost the AD...
There isn't 100% margin in the watch so 5% of MSRP costs the AD more like 15-20%.
Old 1 December 2020, 12:18 PM   #59
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Relationship building? You seem very naive as typically in today’s climate people are having to buy the AD other things to get the Rolex you specified (explorer) at msrp let alone discount. Nothing wrong with asking but just saying ask all you want it’s unrealistic and it costs 5% exactly.

“Depending on which study you believe, and what industry you're in, acquiring a new customer is anywhere from five to 25 times more expensive than retaining an existing one.”

ADs can lose or give up their Rolex status at any point. So if you lose your Rolex AD status, a happy customer base who will still support you, ‘cos you treated them right, will come in pretty handy...
Old 1 December 2020, 12:20 PM   #60
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
msrp is the new discount

Agree. You’d be lucky if you could strike a deal for MSRP out the door (tax discount). But there’s no supply at ADs. Give it a go.