The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 September 2017, 07:00 AM   #1
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I love Rolex but this IWC got me going crazy!

I tried this watch on and can't stop thinking about it! Before I just buy it, I wanted to get some feedback from some of you that might know more about it. Would it make a great everyday watch? Is it a work horse? It's the IWC pilot chronograph. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:04 AM   #2
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmt2 View Post
I tried this watch on and can't stop thinking about it! Before I just buy it, I wanted to get some feedback from some of you that might know more about it. Would it make a great everyday watch? Is it a work horse? Thanks in advance.

Not familiar with the model. What do you like about it? Also, keep in mind with some pieces you're better off going pre-owned.
Old 6 September 2017, 07:06 AM   #3
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I had the previous version, a lovely watch and good memories from wearing it. Wore it daily for almost 12 months. After moving to a Rolex Sub found the IWC a little large for my wrists and ended up not wearing as a result. Financially I took a big hit selling it so be sure it's a keeper if you decide to go for one! Picked up a few dings over the time due to height from wrist. Lovely watch non the less. Hope the above brief comments help. Oh and a photo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5773.JPG (225.6 KB, 1518 views)
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:14 AM   #4
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Some for sale here in classifieds. I would buy grey or preowned. I'm new to IWC- just bought a white/silver dial Mark XVIII and may get a blue one. They seem durable and I like the fit and finish for the price.
I can help you with some contacts if you want to get new at a pretty good discount. Just PM me.
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:15 AM   #5
corn18
Banned

I had one of the earlier versions (liked the 3 date window more). Loved it and it was durable and comfortable. I ended up flipping it to get an IWC Top Gun, which is very similar in size and comfort. Buy used for around $3500 and you won't get in any depreciation trouble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2172.JPG (217.0 KB, 1503 views)
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:17 AM   #6
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
looks like a 7750. optimally stop and reset the chrono around 10 s before or after "12", it may not always engage after quick start stop reset start stop successions. Make sure you don't set date between 8pm and 3 am.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
iwc make come very nice watches. their band swap system is great on the aquanaught line.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:19 AM   #8
And1dre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Definitely a beautiful watch. I like the blue dial more though. I don't see why it wouldn't be an everyday watch.
And1dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:35 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I do like the IWCs with ardoise dials, these not so much.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:40 AM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would try not to pay retail.... otherwise, no issues to think about.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:49 AM   #11
motlking
"TRF" Member

Blue one is much cooler.
Although not cool is lack of deployment clasp.
Also doesn't use in house movement. I think it shares the same ETA movement as TAG? Don't know if this is a good thing

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
motlking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:52 AM   #12
5Matches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I had one of the earlier versions (liked the 3 date window more). Loved it and it was durable and comfortable. I ended up flipping it to get an IWC Top Gun, which is very similar in size and comfort. Buy used for around $3500 and you won't get in any depreciation trouble.

Where did you get that strap?

5Matches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:53 AM   #13
5Matches
"TRF" Member

I tried this watch on this past weekend and yes. I am considering the watch as well. Looks quite good on the wrist.

Old 6 September 2017, 07:57 AM   #14
machob55
"TRF" Member

The same thing happened to me with the Omega Speedmaster! Feel in love with that watch!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:59 AM   #15
machob55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machob55 View Post
The same thing happened to me with the Omega Speedmaster! Feel in love with that watch!

I meant to say "fell in love" my error can't blame it on autocorrect....

machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:59 AM   #16
corn18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Matches View Post
Where did you get that strap?

Got it off of Amazon. Just a generic kevlar 20mm strap that looks like an IWC strap.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:18 AM   #17
lhawli
"TRF" Member

I love Rolex but this IWC got me going crazy!

I owned the mark series - amazing piece and yes a workhorse back when it had the JLC movement and now with the ETA caliber.

Every non pilot's favorite pilot watch

If you like to buy new and keep it in your collection, the do it. If you have flipper tendencies - buy it grey or used as it will not hold value like a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:18 AM   #18
mbalmz

really like this watch and was looking to pick it up for a while before I decided it was too big for me--along the same lines as some of the other replies, if you haven't tried on in person I would note that aside from the already large 43mm case size, the lugs are also on the long side so the watch wears quite big IMO. also agree with everyone who's said go grey or pre-owned as I think you can do a lot better than retail price.

would also look at the blue dial version of the same watch as it really pops (and pics don't quite do it justice IMO).
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 09:11 AM   #19
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I currently own a half dozen IWC watches and it's is my favorite brand behind Rolex. I agree with others that you are better off buying gently used or heavily discounted grey market. I own the 46mm Top Gun and it is currently my favorite IWC along with the Big Pilot. You may find it seems big at first, but if you like it, then go for it! I don't think you will be disappointed.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 09:13 AM   #20
5Matches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Got it off of Amazon. Just a generic kevlar 20mm strap that looks like an IWC strap.

That's awesome. I think this type of strap matches the watch better. The leather strap on the watch feels cheap even though they hawk it as a santorini made strap and how it's made from high end shoe leather. Just doesn't feel like it when u put it on.

Old 6 September 2017, 12:55 PM   #21
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
IWC makes a nice Timepiece had a 2000 Aquatimer for a while and loved it,great accuracy and built like a tank
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 01:55 PM   #22
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I'm really liking this brand. Pure quality
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 03:09 PM   #23
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
looks like a 7750. optimally stop and reset the chrono around 10 s before or after "12", it may not always engage after quick start stop reset start stop successions. Make sure you don't set date between 8pm and 3 am.
what a load of nonsense.
the 7750, (and it's derivatives), is a durable workhorse of a chrono, the most widely used automatic chrono movement. What use would it be as a chrono if you could only stop and start it within a 20 second window ?

OP, there are quite a few versions of the 3777, the older 3 date windowed one and the newer 1 date windowed version. The blue dialed Le Petit prince on the bracelet with alternating brushed and polished links is quite lovely, as is the Ardoise dialed version.
Along with everyone else, I'd buy used, and on the bracelet ( the newest version available on the watches with the one date window, they are probably the best, easiest to adjust and most comfortable bracelet out there )

If the 3777 is too large for your wrist, look out for the 3717, bit smaller at 42 and another classic. Also the "Spitfire" models with applied arabics are rather nice and a bit dressier.
IWC quality is top notch.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 03:20 PM   #24
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Great watch. Make sure to buy pre-owned if you plan on selling it in the future. Resale can be really painful.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 04:46 AM   #25
snypa
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Bluesy!
Fell in love with the Portofino chrono whilst in Bangkok 2 years ago, still love it now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

"Time will continue to move forward, whether you choose to make something of it or not"
snypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 05:00 AM   #26
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Not much I can add that others haven't already said. The 7750 is a real proven workhorse movement, and the watch is just super cool.

I'm also thinking about getting one. I went to the boutique to try the Mark XVIII but came away more impressed with the Pilot Chrono.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 07:21 AM   #27
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Some misinformation on this thread. The three date model is in-house movement and also they have issues, mine stopped working out of the blue, the chrono would not start and since it is in house most watchmakers wouldn't mess with it. It also has high depreciation and is hard to resell. Frankly I'm glad I finally got rid of it and saved up and got an AP. Great looking watch and I got many compliments on it, "coolest" watch I owned, especially the all black look paired with a leather or motorcycle jacket. Just make sure you really want it and are aware of the IWC chrono issues. I had the top gun ceramic three date.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:14 PM   #28
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Some misinformation on this thread. The three date model is in-house movement and also they have issues, mine stopped working out of the blue, the chrono would not start and since it is in house most watchmakers wouldn't mess with it. It also has high depreciation and is hard to resell. Frankly I'm glad I finally got rid of it and saved up and got an AP. Great looking watch and I got many compliments on it, "coolest" watch I owned, especially the all black look paired with a leather or motorcycle jacket. Just make sure you really want it and are aware of the IWC chrono issues. I had the top gun ceramic three date.
er, nope. The IWC 79320 is IWC's "modified" 7750.

Like all IWC's ETA sourced movements, it will either have been delivered at their top line ebauche to IWC, where it would be stripped and rebuilt using IWC's own components, or been built by ETA to IWC's specs and been delivered as a finished movement. Which path it took depends on date of manufacture.

@myporsche; It was unfortunate you got a bad one. That is a rarity. As they come with 2 year warrantees, did you not send it back for service ?

And to the OP if you buy used, buy from a trusted seller and buy a full set. There are truly indistingishable fakes out there, including all the bracelet's mechanisms. No box AND papers, dont touch it !
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 02:19 PM   #29
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
I don't see anything particularly special about this one, and I've owned (and still do) many IWCs.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 06:14 PM   #30
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I like it, very nice watch