The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2017, 01:44 PM   #1
Speed
"TRF" Member

New hands on a 1680 - Deal Killer or?

I know places like LA Watchworks have old hands - on hand and one could swap in a matching pair....so I suppose one can get back the look.

However, how big of a deal do folks consider new / newer hands on a nice tritium dial?

Thanks.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

If the rest of the watch is nice, not a big deal. You can try sourcing some matching hands or just have the existing hands color matched with paint. By color matching, you also eliminate the risk of old lume falling off the hands which is pretty common for these old watches.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:01 PM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Originality and condition is key/king....if the hands aren't original/don't match...definitely a decent hit on value....on the brighter side like you mentioned, not hard to have someone color match a set of hands afterwards to match the dial.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:23 PM   #4
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
If the rest of the watch is nice, not a big deal. You can try sourcing some matching hands or just have the existing hands color matched with paint. By color matching, you also eliminate the risk of old lume falling off the hands which is pretty common for these old watches.
That's what I am thinking...

Thanks for chiming in on all my "musings" Wes. I'm like an indecisive teenage girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Originality and condition is key/king....if the hands aren't original/don't match...definitely a decent hit on value....on the brighter side like you mentioned, not hard to have someone color match a set of hands afterwards to match the dial.
Understood. I definitely see prices (usually) take this into consideration. Further, if newer hands are on a dial with lume which is more white than yellow or orange...it's aite!

Thanks for entertaining me.
Old 21 September 2017, 12:20 AM   #5
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
For me, I'd pass.
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:38 AM   #6
drefrank
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with Wes. So long as you like the watch otherwise, and the price is right, go for it!
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 03:21 AM   #7
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Colour-matched hands are a no-no for me. They invariably look like they've been painted. Finding an untouched original matching pair is what I would do, if the price is right, or better still find a watch with matching hands.
Old 21 September 2017, 05:55 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Colour-matched hands are a no-no for me. They invariably look like they've been painted. Finding an untouched original matching pair is what I would do, if the price is right, or better still find a watch with matching hands.
Properly repaired hands look original without the "painted" look. I am not a fan either of hands that have been painted or improperly relumed/repaired.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 10:08 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I avoid mismatched hands/dial like the plague, and I'd never buy a watch with color-matched hands. Maybe I'm too picky, but a definite deal-breaker for me.

Years ago, I went down this road with a 5513 that had luminova replacement hands on a beautiful tritium dial. "Oh, I'll just source a tritium hand set with matching patina," I thought. Never, ever happened. I gave up after buying two tritium hand sets that looked as if they'd match in photos, but didn't in the flesh. So, so hard to match the patina.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 11:07 AM   #10
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Properly repaired hands look original without the "painted" look. I am not a fan either of hands that have been painted or improperly relumed/repaired.
I agree, if professionally done it not only is hard to tell but looks great if its color matched closely. I am totally okay with color matched hands as long as its disclosed when it is sold. Call me crazy but I would rather have professionally well done, perfectly color matched hands over original tritium ones that do not match the dial plots at all. Just an eye sore when they don't match well.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:55 PM   #11
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I avoid mismatched hands/dial like the plague.

This!
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:27 PM   #12
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
luminova replacement hands on a beautiful tritium dial.
I guess I'm alone here in liking luminova hands on tritium dials? You can read it at night, but still keep the original dial! I have a Speedy and Tudor like that; to me it's not a sin if the lume on the hands doesn't match the dial's patina. Heck, probably the majority of Rolexes naturally developed slightly different patina on the hands vs. dial anyway. And even if you have the perfect tritium hands, you have to do some aftermarket sealing-job on them or just pray they don't start flaking soon.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 03:34 PM   #13
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

I own several watches where the dial/hand combo are original to the watch but do not match and have gone a significantly different hue over time. So the watch is perfectly correct and original but colour not really matching. Then what? The watch is original, would you have it another way because of this?

I think it's not such a precious issue, after all the application of a colour or lume to hands as a repair has been going on forever, long before current vintage Rolex were vintage. The detritus we see on many vintage pieces selling at high prices may match but lets say a 1680 dial has gone brown and tropical, that's thrown the colour equation out but is considered highly desirable, a dial that's gone a kind of drab grey far less so. Fashion?
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 09:57 PM   #14
Brizzybrad
"TRF" Member

Watch: ???
My 1680 has luminova hands with a toothpaste dial and they match nicely. It is a watch that was serviced by Rolex every 5 years. Therefore, to me having replacement parts is "correct".

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a NOS from the 70's, but I'm not willing to pay the premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brizzybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 04:30 AM   #15
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzybrad View Post
My 1680 has luminova hands with a toothpaste dial and they match nicely. It is a watch that was serviced by Rolex every 5 years. Therefore, to me having replacement parts is "correct".

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a NOS from the 70's, but I'm not willing to pay the premium.

Nice watch
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 05:31 PM   #16
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@Speed
Q: How big of a deal do folks consider new / newer hands on a nice tritium dial?
A: If you mean a Luminova handset on a Tritium dial, then the overwhelming response will be in the negative. So yes, it's a big deal. 👎
—————
Instagram: @onthedial
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 11:15 PM   #17
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthedial View Post
@Speed
Q: How big of a deal do folks consider new / newer hands on a nice tritium dial?
A: If you mean a Luminova handset on a Tritium dial, then the overwhelming response will be in the negative. So yes, it's a big deal. ��
—————
Instagram: @onthedial
Yes. That's what I meant.

Understood.

To me, a pristine dial / case are most important. I actually like the plots when they are still whiteish / just turning yellow. In this case, luminova hands are not a huge disconnect.

Prices reflect replacement hands of course...I am learning that some level of compromise is called for when looking at Vintage Subs. I don't have unlimited fund to buy a NOS / or perfect find. I know prices for great examples have skyrocketed in the last 10 years or so.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. Very much appreciated.
Old 22 September 2017, 11:16 PM   #18
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzybrad View Post

Beauty! Thanks for posting.
Old 25 September 2017, 02:51 AM   #19
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

I'd be interested to see an example of such work, please post a photo or two if you have any None of the declared colour-matched ones I've ever seen have convinced me.
Old 25 September 2017, 02:53 AM   #20
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
I agree, if professionally done it not only is hard to tell but looks great if its color matched closely. I am totally okay with color matched hands as long as its disclosed when it is sold. Call me crazy but I would rather have professionally well done, perfectly color matched hands over original tritium ones that do not match the dial plots at all. Just an eye sore when they don't match well.
Once again, please show us an example or two of what you describe.
Old 30 September 2017, 09:13 AM   #21
djmusicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Once again, please show us an example or two of what you describe.
Here you go, this was done by LA watchworks, the best job I have seen at color matching the hands to the dial.

https://www.lunaroyster.com/archive-...ll-black-bezel
djmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 09:47 AM   #22
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
I guess I'm alone here in liking luminova hands on tritium dials? You can read it at night, but still keep the original dial! I have a Speedy and Tudor like that; to me it's not a sin if the lume on the hands doesn't match the dial's patina. Heck, probably the majority of Rolexes naturally developed slightly different patina on the hands vs. dial anyway. And even if you have the perfect tritium hands, you have to do some aftermarket sealing-job on them or just pray they don't start flaking soon.
This is absolutely the correct way to look at it.

It is only recently that the "absolutely original" cult has sprung up for whatever reason. You would think that everybody who wears and buys a Rolex is a committed archive collector..

Nothing wrong with functional over old and worn out. Unless it is a very unique piece, a well restored version is every bit as valuable as one not re-done.
Old 30 September 2017, 05:35 PM   #23
djmusicman
"TRF" Member

Here are some pictures hands matched to the dial, all of them were done by LA watchworks

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=498234
Attached Images
File Type: jpg la watchworks color matched hands.jpg (184.1 KB, 334 views)

Last edited by djmusicman; 30 September 2017 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: add images
djmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 12:47 AM   #24
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmusicman View Post
Here are some pictures hands matched to the dial, all of them were done by LA watchworks

That is beautiful work, and a great-looking Sub. Original is always better, for me anyway, but if the alternative is crumbling tritium on the hands, then this is a good option.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 02:43 PM   #25
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
I know places like LA Watchworks have old hands - on hand and one could swap in a matching pair....so I suppose one can get back the look.

However, how big of a deal do folks consider new / newer hands on a nice tritium dial?

Thanks.
All depends on the price. You can find correct hands, but matching them to your dial if they're not in your hands is not an easy task. Given current market trends, a "new" set will cost $400-$500 plus the cost to switch them out plus the risk to your dial during switch. Price watch accordingly and you'll be fine.

(Drastically) Mismatched hands/dial would drive me nuts.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 09:03 PM   #26
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here you go, this was done by LA watchworks, the best job I have seen at color matching the hands to the dial.

https://www.lunaroyster.com/archive-...ll-black-bezel
I agree that's a very good job indeed! They're rarely this good, IMO
Old 1 October 2017, 09:06 PM   #27
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This could not have been done any better, to be fair. Excellent work, great match and very neat, but it still looks like what it is.
Old 2 October 2017, 04:00 PM   #28
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

As long as you go into it with open eyes and pay you accordingly, it's up to you. The real bummer would be finding out after you overpaid for the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 10:49 PM   #29
Arnold81
"TRF" Member

Hi guys, just registered to this forum! I’ve been Rolex user since 2007 and just recently sold my sd 4000 to finance my 1680. It has luminova hands and I would like to replace them with tritium hands. But I have read that these oldies are really fragile, so my concern is how would they handle the shipping? The hands are located in different country so they would shipped to me. Is it possible that the tritium could brake during shipping and is too risky? They cost like 650$...
Arnold81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 06:04 PM   #30
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold81 View Post
Hi guys, just registered to this forum! I’ve been Rolex user since 2007 and just recently sold my sd 4000 to finance my 1680. It has luminova hands and I would like to replace them with tritium hands. But I have read that these oldies are really fragile, so my concern is how would they handle the shipping? The hands are located in different country so they would shipped to me. Is it possible that the tritium could brake during shipping and is too risky? They cost like 650$...
Of course it's 'possible', but if packed correctly (which is to be expected - not just loose in an envelope ) it's not that likely. Live dangerously!