The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 July 2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Patek Enamel Worldtime 5131R/J thoughts?

I am considering picking one up and I noticed that these used to be unobtainable/rare to the point of frenzy.

Any thoughts on the piece/pieces? I am looking at long term collectible and "works of art" versus what is hyped.

Looks to be absolutely gorgeous...
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 08:10 AM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

absolutely love the piece. one of my favorites, frankly I love all the world timers, unfortunately most of them don't hold value, which is not the case for your ref. If I had the means that's one I would buy for sure.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Patek Enamel Worldtime 5131R/J thoughts?

Both lovely pieces.

The style of cloisonné changed considerably between the J and R - you might have a favourite on looks alone? The thing to bear in mind is that not all cloisonné’s are as colourful as each other so always choose on sight.

The R was only in production for 3 years, P is currently at 4 years and running and J and G were I believe 8 and 7 years respectively.

Each of the 3 years of R production saw a new city ring, 001, 010, 011 versions - 001 being the rarest I would guess.

Couple of R examples showing the colour variation. First is my 001 and the second is a friends 010.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
Beautiful but was told by my AD that it’s absolutely no chance in getting one.
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input Russell. Gorgeous pictures!

The one I am being offered is an unworn May 2017 5131R-011. The first thing I noticed was that the city of Sydney and others are actually on the inner ring instead of the outer ring. The photos I received of the enameling are actually indoors so the colors look less vibrant.

I also have a few Patek Js but no Rs (3919J and 2526J) so leaning towards Rose. The maps and enameling on both are gorgeous! I REALLY like the color variation - it really makes all my other Pateks look ultra conservative (3970G/3919J/3712A/2526J/5167A) so looking for that extra vibrance.

Will take your advice in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Both lovely pieces.

The style of cloisonné changed considerably between the J and R - you might have a favourite on looks alone? The thing to bear in mind is that not all cloisonné’s are as colourful as each other so always choose on sight.

The R was only in production for 3 years, P is currently at 4 years and running and J and G were I believe 8 and 7 years respectively.

Each of the 3 years of R production saw a new city ring, 001, 010, 011 versions - 001 being the rarest I would guess.

Couple of R examples showing the colour variation. First is my 001 and the second is a friends 010.

Old 25 July 2020, 12:50 PM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If you look at the continents that are depicted in the 5131J and 5131R, they are different. J has the Americas + Europe/Africa. R has Americas + Asia/Australia. Although you did not mention the G, it has Europe/Africa + Asia/Australia.

If any of the continent combination is important to you, you may consider that in your decision.

Over the years, some cities have changed time zones, so the list of cities on the time zone wheel has changed numerous times over the years. If there is a specific city that is important to you, you may want to check if the city is listed on the wheel.

Other than that, both the 5131J and 5131R are nice watches. Within the past 10+ years, RG metal has become more popular compared to YG for Patek watches, so you should check if the J can be purchased cheaper than the R and also consider if value retention will be there for the J vs the R.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 02:45 PM   #7
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Market has definitely softened for them. I do think that they aren't as rare as they make them out to be either. But it is art for the wrist. I've had random strangers comment, and my friend who cares nothing for watches say it looks damn nice even if they can't tell what it is.

Forgot to mention, sometimes hard to actually tell the time tho...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200311_154450_copy_756x1008.jpg (248.8 KB, 1099 views)
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 03:42 PM   #8
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Market has definitely softened for them. I do think that they aren't as rare as they make them out to be either. But it is art for the wrist. I've had random strangers comment, and my friend who cares nothing for watches say it looks damn nice even if they can't tell what it is.

Forgot to mention, sometimes hard to actually tell the time tho...
One of the best dials I have ever seen
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 03:46 PM   #9
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I am considering picking one up and I noticed that these used to be unobtainable/rare to the point of frenzy.

Any thoughts on the piece/pieces? I am looking at long term collectible and "works of art" versus what is hyped.

Looks to be absolutely gorgeous...
I don't think those pieces are very rare, prices are softening. I don't think it is worth paying a premium especially if you are looking at long term collectibility.

I think it is worth going for a 5231J at retail
Old 25 July 2020, 03:58 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I love the R version but I will ask my AD for the new 5231J at retail.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 05:16 PM   #11
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Kind of annoyed by the fact that the topographical coloring isn’t even remotely accurate.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 07:23 PM   #12
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input Russell. Gorgeous pictures!

The one I am being offered is an unworn May 2017 5131R-011. The first thing I noticed was that the city of Sydney and others are actually on the inner ring instead of the outer ring. The photos I received of the enameling are actually indoors so the colors look less vibrant.

Will take your advice in mind
Here is an indoor unlit comparison shot, you can see there can be quite a difference between pieces indoors so if going used choose carefully based on your cloisonné preference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26 July 2020, 05:44 PM   #13
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
I have an R....it’s amazing
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 07:03 PM   #14
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

So forgive my ignorance...but are these becoming more obtainable? I am one of (I imagine) many PP customers who would one day love one of these pieces, but like the OP I have got the impression these are enormously difficult to get hold of. Perhaps by invitation only (from PP or your AD if you are their top 1 or 2 customers?) - or perhaps folks here are talking about the non-AD route.
It would be great if mere mortals may be getting a look in :)
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 04:20 AM   #15
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

For the most part, they are still "application" pieces. This means the AD has to vouch for you saying you are a genuine collector and not a flipper and have a decent existing collection of Patek watches. The AD will submit some of your personal and professional information to the regional Patek distributor for "approval" and then you wait for allocation.

However some members have mentioned that at some ADs in Asia, one can get it by walking in and bundling with a few higher end Pateks. So it depends on where you live and shop.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 01:58 AM   #16
raclaims
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful piece of jewelry.

I rarely if ever wear mine.

Yes it has a place in the collection but only as a complimentary piece IMHO
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 04:02 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

For msrp or less, sure, yet it could go lower as they made many of them. As i recall, there's a bit of discrepency about what it claims are time zones to the actual (today's) time zones. Did they fix that with this PP watch? If not, do they offer updated bits to bring it to modern times?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 04:50 AM   #18
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
For msrp or less, sure, yet it could go lower as they made many of them. As i recall, there's a bit of discrepency about what it claims are time zones to the actual (today's) time zones. Did they fix that with this PP watch? If not, do they offer updated bits to bring it to modern times?
The OP is looking at pieces that are no longer in production so certain city time zones have changed since they were made - It is part of the charm and there are no completely accurate worldtime piece from any manufacturer.
Old 29 July 2020, 05:34 AM   #19
Pim
Banned

I wonder what happens to the worldtimer prices when the EU decides to drop daylight savings
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 01:20 PM   #20
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

I took the plunge and it arrived today. 5131R-011

This is the first Patek which I had my jaw hanging open at sheer disbelief at the beauty. Most Pateks are very classically beautiful in a subtle elegant way. But this is like a drop dead gorgeous 10 walks by and you are stupefied, petrified, mortified.

It’s not my most expensive or complicated watch but it takes my breath away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 July 2020, 02:18 PM   #21
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Mic drop! Congratulations!!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 02:22 PM   #22
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is the first Patek which I had my jaw hanging open at sheer disbelief at the beauty. Most Pateks are very classically beautiful in a subtle elegant way. But this is like a drop dead gorgeous 10 walks by and you are stupefied, petrified, mortified.

It is a beauty, many congratulations
Old 31 July 2020, 03:12 PM   #23
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Nice, sometimes I think id prefer a more muted tone like yours. In the bright sun sometimes mine looks a bit cartoonish. I have a bottle green strap on order which prob won't help either.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 03:20 PM   #24
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Many congratulations
Old 31 July 2020, 03:31 PM   #25
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Congrats!

Absolutely lovely. Enjoy in the best of health. And thanks for sharing!

(Curious... AD or Grey?)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 04:00 PM   #26
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

Congrats,you have right for those who love WT this piece is one of the most beautiful PP ever made.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 11:23 PM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
The OP is looking at pieces that are no longer in production so certain city time zones have changed since they were made - It is part of the charm and there are no completely accurate worldtime piece from any manufacturer.
Ahhh, so no updates. Bummer yet i get it. Good to know the latest versions, and many forthcoming limited editions, will be updated, yes? Had the dealer 5110 WT wall clock and the problem was some time zones were incorrect, no update was offered, and the time was off for some zones. This was especially true depending on the time of year, so traded it for a gold Rolex Daytona.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 12:38 PM   #28
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Wouldn't the 5130p make more financial sense? Seems like a hell of a lot just for a dial.
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 02:49 PM   #29
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
Wouldn't the 5130p make more financial sense? Seems like a hell of a lot just for a dial.
Indeed. It is a hand made enamel dial that is gorgeous. It's same reason why you would pay for a Paul Newman daytona, red text on submariner etc.

1) Rarity
2) Beauty
3) Movement
Old 1 August 2020, 03:23 PM   #30
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post

enamel dial WTs are in the class of their own those are not comparable to the regular WTs, actually cloisonne dial watches in general are not comparable to other watches IMHO due to their artistic value.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote