Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
*True Classic*
*Unchanged for 50 years*
* Iconic design*
*Legendary status

-> only been really hot less than 5 of those 50 years

*Untouchable*

...OK.

Unnecessary. But Twitter users are probably grateful for the break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 07:00 PM   #92
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Unnecessary. But Twitter users are probably grateful for the break.

Mhm. Brb gotta go post a lot of wrist rolls with ma Nautilus #GENTALEGACY #LEGENDARY #ICONIC
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 09:50 PM   #93
Uros
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=fsprow;10786141]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros View Post
Wow...a lot of emotions here, of course nobody wants to end up paying huge premium and later end up with watch being available at retail or even less with tax free...but thats the (potential) price of the hype...

My 2 cents, history is good teacher, if something was sold at retail 5 to 10 yrs ago why wouldnt it be sold again.

Not my view of history. A Ferrari 250 had an MSRP in the ‘60s of $30,000. Now a million.

Not sure comparison make sense, you cant walk in store today and buy new Ferrari 250. Nautilus is still in production and will remain in foreseeable future...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 02:12 AM   #94
Pim
Banned

[QUOTE=Uros;10787051]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post

Not sure comparison make sense, you cant walk in store today and buy new Ferrari 250. Nautilus is still in production and will remain in foreseeable future...

Well...................
I know what you want to say but actually, one can't walk in a store today and buy a new Nautilus

Try, see what happends
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 02:28 AM   #95
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I am curious how many here bought a Nautilus at list price or with a discount and are considering selling since prices have been in the crazy territory.

I have had a Nautilus for 10 years and I did not wear it at all. To me, it was just a "Plain Jane" watch. The dial did not stand out and pop like some of the "photoshopped" pictures around the net. It didn't have any complication that Patek has been known for over the years.

Is it a decent watch at list price? Yes. But at 2-3x list price, it is not the same as a Patek PC or Chronograph or other complicated watches.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 04:44 AM   #96
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I am curious how many here bought a Nautilus at list price or with a discount and are considering selling since prices have been in the crazy territory.

I have had a Nautilus for 10 years and I did not wear it at all. To me, it was just a "Plain Jane" watch. The dial did not stand out and pop like some of the "photoshopped" pictures around the net. It didn't have any complication that Patek has been known for over the years.

Is it a decent watch at list price? Yes. But at 2-3x list price, it is not the same as a Patek PC or Chronograph or other complicated watches.
May I ask why you purchased a ‘Plain Jane’ Watch 10 years ago and didn’t wear it? Surely there were pieces you liked?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 05:18 AM   #97
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
May I ask why you purchased a ‘Plain Jane’ Watch 10 years ago and didn’t wear it? Surely there were pieces you liked?
The Nautilus was purchased early in my Patek journey. Over the years, I have added an AC, PC, manual chrono, PCC, WT and many others. Some people here may remember my "white metal collection" series.

However for nostalgic reasons, I have kept the Nautilus. It reminded me of how I got started with the brand. I am the poster child of what Thierry Stern mentions in his interviews, where a single watch (e.g. Nautilus) may be an entry point into the brand, but one grows to appreciate all the other watches they offer.

Certainly being invited to tour their factory and meeting TS and other Patek execs was a big part of the journey.

Although I am not as crazy about the Nautilus as others are and do not fully understand people willing to pay 2-3x retail price, I see how it can be an entry point into a brand that can lead someone to becoming a long-term customer.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 06:04 AM   #98
Uros
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Pim;10787634]
Quote:

Well...................
I know what you want to say but actually, one can't walk in a store today and buy a new Nautilus

Try, see what happends

You could have 5 yrs ago...

Old 31 July 2020, 06:14 AM   #99
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You could have 5 yrs ago...

Not where I live in Germany, at least not a 5711 blue or 5712...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 07:23 AM   #100
Pim
Banned

Ey guys...... get your quoting right
Old 31 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #101
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
+1....^^^......

I did an investigation on the OP....

All I could say is this......

OP is trolling us.....lol.....

always baffles me. like feeding their own lie or something.
pretty sure op's not the only member either (not referring to this thread)

but the thread is merited nonetheless
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 11:27 AM   #102
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i also doubt this watch will available for less than 75% over msrp on the gray market any time soon. and good luck getting one at an AD. i also see the luxury watch market pretty much holding steady, even with a likely impending massive recession.

and yeah, even at msrp, 33k for a small ss watch is asking a lot. sure it's a patek, and sure i want one, but it's asking a lot.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 02:51 PM   #103
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Not where I live in Germany, at least not a 5711 blue or 5712...
2015? In Munich you could, in Düsseldorf too.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 03:34 PM   #104
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
2015? In Munich you could, in Düsseldorf too.
Based on my experience it is a myth that blue 5711 were readily available in shop windows here in 2015. At Wempe in Munich they basically laughed me out of the store in late summer 2015 when I was asking re a 5711 blue as a first time customer. Wempe in Nuremberg would have put me on the list with the expectation of a multi-year wait, back then when they had not lost their AD status yet. In the end I went to a smaller AD but it still took quite a while.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 03:57 PM   #105
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Based on my experience it is a myth that blue 5711 were readily available in shop windows here in 2015. At Wempe in Munich they basically laughed me out of the store in late summer 2015 when I was asking re a 5711 blue as a first time customer. Wempe in Nuremberg would have put me on the list with the expectation of a multi-year wait, back then when they had not lost their AD status yet. In the end I went to a smaller AD but it still took quite a while.

I ve got mine in Vienna with 4months leadtime in 2014,no Nautilus were in shop window since then (or even before).

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 04:29 PM   #106
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
I ve got mine in Vienna with 4months leadtime in 2014,no Nautilus were in shop window since then (or even before).
I’ve been quoted longer wait times for straps. 4 months is practically instantaneous. Similar times are needed to get specific Lady Datejust models and such. You wouldn’t exactly call those unavailable, right?
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 05:38 PM   #107
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZSe88BEw0s&t=5s
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 06:24 PM   #108
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Not really fair, that guys is some AD's number one client. He posted video's on how he was allocated special models like the 6007.
So he has got standing and report out of this world
Old 31 July 2020, 07:30 PM   #109
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Not really fair, that guys is some AD's number one client. He posted video's on how he was allocated special models like the 6007.
So he has got standing and report out of this world
I saw his 5270p and 5170p in his video. He has some decent watches.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 07:41 PM   #110
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Based on my experience it is a myth that blue 5711 were readily available in shop windows here in 2015.
You are right.

The only Nautilus that were to be seen in shop windows back then were 5712G or R, maybe a 5726 on strap.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 07:49 PM   #111
Uros
"TRF" Member

You dont get it from window of course. Usual story was that some buyer just canceled last minute, it sits in safe and you have opportunity of the lifetime but you need to react now. In this case from today perspective they were actually right:)

And you need smaller ADs for this, it doesnt happen in London or NYC.

This is at least how I got my Jumbo back in 2016 after walk in and coffee in AD...

Old 31 July 2020, 09:37 PM   #112
yoast
"TRF" Member

I remember a 5711r sitting in a window in an AD in tst Hong Kong for almost all of 2016. walked by frequently and it took almost a year for it to be gone.
Old 31 July 2020, 10:21 PM   #113
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
I remember seeing nautilus on the window like 10yrs ago. Didn’t interest me then and only interests me slightly now due to the hype. The RO on the other hand. Always wanted one, and have the perfect one for me...that bracelet....the dial anyway its amusing for me to see people paying 75k for a basic watch which i would balk at paying 30k for...

rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 11:20 PM   #114
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I have no issue with people agreeing to pay huge markups for this or any watch. It’s your money. I, however, would never even dream of doing such a thing. For me its NUTS!
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 01:03 AM   #115
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember seeing one, and it must have been in one of the two locations, don’t exactly remember where though as we looked at a lot of watches in both places. In fairness, don’t remember whether it was in the case or whether the SA just pulled it out of some drawer to show us something else that might be of interest. But I remember it was on the table without me even paying too much attention to it, as I was and still am more into Patek’s dressier range. So it came up even without asking.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 01:43 AM   #116
gaeleus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
Given enough changing factors everything is possible. Around 2010-2014 we had tourbillon mania, now nobody cares. Dual tone watches were hot in the 1980s, then nothing and now 40 years later they are making a comeback (or so the watch companies want you to think).

In the end all comes to demand and supply. Supply is artificially constrained but given PP track record I do not see that changing - Stern made it be known they do not want to end up like AP.
Will demand continue to be there? I do not see social media craze going away, if anything people might move to other watches, but at the top of steel sport watches there is nothing else.
Unfortunately, they ended up being like AP. A one show pony. Non WIS people, the great majority, only want the sport PP. Very few want the "round / dress pieces".
gaeleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 02:39 AM   #117
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Simply put, no way
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 03:48 AM   #118
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeleus View Post
Unfortunately, they ended up being like AP. A one show pony. Non WIS people, the great majority, only want the sport PP. Very few want the "round / dress pieces".
Sadly you are correct
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 06:41 AM   #119
Uros
"TRF" Member

Yes, with full respect to Pateks value retention etc but looking at grey prices 5711 is in same category as ALS datograph up/down...would be an easy choice...

Old 1 August 2020, 08:45 AM   #120
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
There was a thought that a global pandemic and a huge recession and mass unemployment might change things, but what I'm seeing is the power of Social Media and its show off and aspirational nature is a force that can't be contained or even touched, and until it is I think there will always be hype about certain models, and those that have got in at the beginning of this new world, as it were, will probably forever remain treasured as the original gangsters, which is why maybe a hot new thing won't make much difference to them, their position in the pantheon of watch history seems secure.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote