The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 May 2011, 05:31 PM   #1
beta
"TRF" Member

!!!HELP ID a vintage omega!!!

hey guys. i was hoping you guys can help me ID a vintage omega that my dad owns.

my mom bought it for him in the 70-80s but im having a hard time looking it up online.

its beautiful. id love to know the model/make and also, what the value is aat this point. its not mint, but its in great condition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3528291...7626540342491/

thanks in advance again!
beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2011, 05:52 AM   #2
beta
"TRF" Member

bump...
Old 9 May 2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I'm lost. An expert should be along shortly.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2011, 07:29 AM   #4
beta
"TRF" Member

thanks..
[patiently waiting...]
Old 9 May 2011, 01:22 PM   #5
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
It looks like a calibre 711 (although it could be a handwind 700) dress watch.

It needs to be opened up to establish its bona fides. There will be a case number on the inner case back and a calibre number on the movement.

Many different styles of dress watch were produced in the 60s and seventies with these 'ultra-thin' movements, some cases were produced in the US while other were produced in Switzerland. The dial has a tiger eye insert.

So some pics of the movement and inner caseback would help further clarify.

Cheers

Desmond
mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2011, 04:42 PM   #6
beta
"TRF" Member

hey mondodec, awesome. yes, i do have to hand wind (its not selfwinding). the case is smooth on the back and since im no watch expert i wd never want to open it up.

thanks for the info. i have inherited quite a start to a watch collection and im hoping to learn more and more from this site.

i also have inherited from my grandfather a "constellation pie pan" from the 60s i believe.

i love omegas, and hope to start to learn more about them.
Old 10 May 2011, 12:18 AM   #7
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Pictures, pictures, we must see pictures!

Btw it is not hard to open up the dress watch - if you're not confident yourself, drop by to a watchmaker and have him do it and record the info.

Cheers

desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
hey mondodec, awesome. yes, i do have to hand wind (its not selfwinding). the case is smooth on the back and since im no watch expert i wd never want to open it up.

thanks for the info. i have inherited quite a start to a watch collection and im hoping to learn more and more from this site.

i also have inherited from my grandfather a "constellation pie pan" from the 60s i believe.

i love omegas, and hope to start to learn more about them.
Old 10 May 2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Look for some hallmarks.. Frequently the higher end dress watches of the day with those woven bands are 14 or 18k gold and not plated... Certainly worth hanging on to..
Old 10 May 2011, 02:34 PM   #9
beta
"TRF" Member

thanks guys.

desmond, as it seems you are a constellation expert, hopefully you can tell me more about my watch...ive wore it for almost 10 years without knowing much about it. my grandfather gave it to me, and he must have worn it for at least 30 years before me. its in ok condition but the gold plating has flaked off the winding knob, and part of the black material has fallen off the minute hand.

here are new pics of both omegas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3528291...7626562918965/

i took off the back case, but i dont know which numbers to be reading...you can see the numbers if you maximize the picture sizes...thanks in advance guys!
Old 10 May 2011, 06:41 PM   #10
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Yes, it's a 14k American Cased model with a calibre 625 handwind. Classic dress watch style of the 70s I believe with an exceptionally attractive dial The DD prefix was one of a number of prefixes that indicated US case manufacture.

Your Connie looks to me to be a solid gold 168.005, calibre 561. This model was designed by Gerald Genta in 1958 and had a ten year life in the Omega collection. The dog leg lugged case is a favourite amongst collectors. Keep the crown as they are no longer made. Case is very sharp. Dial has been refinished during the watch's lifetime.

The mid-500 series of calibres, of which the 561 was a member, are regarded by collectors as the best series production movement ever produced: robust, accurate, and superb design. It was the movement that saw the Constellation as the top brand in its class and outsold Rolex by 100s of thousands.

Cheers

desmond

Quote:
thanks guys.

desmond, as it seems you are a constellation expert, hopefully you can tell me more about my watch...ive wore it for almost 10 years without knowing much about it. my grandfather gave it to me, and he must have worn it for at least 30 years before me. its in ok condition but the gold plating has flaked off the winding knob, and part of the black material has fallen off the minute hand.

here are new pics of both omegas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3528291...7626562918965/

i took off the back case, but i dont know which numbers to be reading...you can see the numbers if you maximize the picture sizes...thanks in advance guys!
Old 11 May 2011, 12:58 AM   #11
beta
"TRF" Member

thanks desmond. this is awesome information.

not that i plan on ever selling these, but what wd be the value of these watches at this point?
Old 11 May 2011, 08:57 AM   #12
mondodec
"TRF" Member

I believe it's not permitted to talk values on the forum.

Best way to gauge world internet value is to look up eBay completed listings in their search function.

Suffice to say we are talking good money :)

Cheers

Desmond

Quote:
thanks desmond. this is awesome information.

not that i plan on ever selling these, but what wd be the value of these watches at this point?
Old 11 May 2011, 02:14 PM   #13
beta
"TRF" Member

oooh thanks, dint know that about the forum rules. thanks again for everything. this forum is a great resource.