The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2012, 12:55 AM   #1
beachbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Incoming
AP Diver or DeepSea???????

I was reading this thread on the Rolex board and the response were overwhelming against the AP diver. I know the results would be skewed but I am very interested in your thoughts here :) is the deepsea far superior?
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 01:13 AM   #2
ralfcom
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
I personally think the DSSD is a better looking watch.
ralfcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 01:45 AM   #3
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

I don't think they are in the same league. However, if you are looking for a tool watch and you do have a big wrist, the DeepSea is not a bad choice either.
Old 18 November 2012, 01:48 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Easy choice. DSSD is a terrible looking watch. Just too much.. The Diver however is a beauty. :)
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 02:01 AM   #5
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
You have to ask yourself what you do you want out of these watches, as they are quite different.

If you're looking for a true diver and will use the watch for its intended purpose, there is no doubt that the between the two you listed - the DSSD is THE watch to get. The AP Diver is rated 300m vs. DSSD 3,900m and as such the DSSD is built accordingly to handle such depths. Many have nicknamed the DSSD the Beast.

If you want a haute horology "sports watch" with a unique design and capability of handling reasonable depths, then the AP Diver would fit that bill. I would characterize this comparison to the Merc G Wagon (AP Diver) vs. the Hummer H1 (DSSD).

So the answer is it depends on what you're looking for. For me, I'd take the DSSD.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 02:23 AM   #6
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

AP Diver in a heartbeat.

The DSSD is an uncomfortable watch (for me, anyways) and it is too blingy for what it was intended to be, imo. You could buy the AP Diver, and get a cheap "true" dive watch, if that is what you are yearning for, for under 2k. I'd probably take a Sinn U1 over a DSSD, and it is about 1/10th of the cost.
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 02:33 AM   #7
ticketmaster123
Banned

I have a Sub and as of 3 weeks ago a Diver as well.

I would get the Diver if I had to choose between the two.

AP is in another league - and has the rarity factor...whereas every man and his dog seems to have a Rolex these days.
ticketmaster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 02:35 AM   #8
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I have both and like the AP Diver more. The quality, fit/finish and overall look are much more appealing to me.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 02:42 AM   #9
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
I realize this is probably not going to make a lot of friends, but I just don't get the AP appeal (from an aesthetics standpoint). I've tried to warm up to their look over the years, but it just doesn't do it for me.

The funky stop-sign, non-functioning bezel cases (w/ garish screws), dials that always seem too cluttered w/ their checker board layouts & hands that always seem way too plain & boring all add up to a watch that just doesn't look good to me.

No disputing their movement & build quality, but I've got to like what I'm looking at when I put a watch on my wrist and the AP's just don't do it for me. I've said it before, but to me the AP looks like something a 12 year old with above average drawing skills would design in the mid 80's.

For that reason alone, I would take the DSSD all day long. Good luck!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 02:43 AM   #10
theseire
"TRF" Member

Abit of topic but I'm in the same dilema. However I'm comparing the AP Diver vs the Hublot Ocenographic 4000 in titanium. Which would you get?
theseire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 02:53 AM   #11
emagni
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Both are beautiful watches but although the DSSD is a great engineer feat, I personally prefer a watch with the bracelet size that is proportionate to the watch. The DSSD watch bracelet is too tapered for my taste but I do understand that it probably has to be this way for the watch to be more comfortable on the wrist. The AP diver on the other end is more comparable to the SubC than it is to the DSSD. I have own all three of these watches but the AP Diver is still in my collection while the others have been traded off. My reason was more to fund my next AP so it wasn't because one watch was more technically better than the other. No one can dispute that Rolex is a reliable work horse but personally I love the look and finish of what AP does to decorate their movement which includes the exterior design. The extra water protection is the extra plus.
Old 18 November 2012, 02:57 AM   #12
emagni
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseire View Post
Abit of topic but I'm in the same dilema. However I'm comparing the AP Diver vs the Hublot Ocenographic 4000 in titanium. Which would you get?
AP over Hublot any day of the week. And I know Rolex may not be considered to be in the same league to Hublot for some but to me I take a Rolex over Hublot as well.
Old 18 November 2012, 02:59 AM   #13
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

Watch: out for yelow snow
The look of the AP is not for me. All my watches are round, I don't care for the 6 sided bezel, but that is certainly only my opinion.

But, $12k for a SS diver is plenty. The AP is $19k, on a rubber strap, just too much to me.
So it's not the steam that causes the failure, but it's water that you notice in the watch after a shower that could lead you to believe the steam damaged the seal, but it's just the unfortunate result of an unserviced mechanical beast.
Gagebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 03:09 AM   #14
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Really???

One of the best looking AP's vs one of the ugliest Rolexes?

Hands down Diver, had to sell mine to cover some expenses and I miss it a lot.

Old 18 November 2012, 03:22 AM   #15
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I realize this is probably not going to make a lot of friends, but I just don't get the AP appeal (from an aesthetics standpoint). I've tried to warm up to their look over the years, but it just doesn't do it for me.

The funky stop-sign, non-functioning bezel cases (w/ garish screws), dials that always seem too cluttered w/ their checker board layouts & hands that always seem way too plain & boring all add up to a watch that just doesn't look good to me.

No disputing their movement & build quality, but I've got to like what I'm looking at when I put a watch on my wrist and the AP's just don't do it for me. I've said it before, but to me the AP looks like something a 12 year old with above average drawing skills would design in the mid 80's.

It is funny that all the details we appreciate are not yours.
IMO it would be relatively easy to sketch a watch, but to build something with extraordinary craftsmanship is totally another stroy.

Anyhow, it would be harder to draw a hexagon than a circle!
Old 18 November 2012, 04:20 AM   #16
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
I realize this is probably not going to make a lot of friends...
Translation: I know this is going to piss people off, but I am going to post it anyway...
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 04:21 AM   #17
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5960p+6262
Quote:

To each his own. I actually felt the same way until I saw one and tried it on in person. I had always appreciated the Royal Oak for its history and AP's finishing/movement quality but the aesthetically the watches didn't do anything for me. It wasn't until I tried on a 15400 and a 15202 at the NYC AP boutique that something clicked for me. I ended up picking up the 15202. I probably won't stray too far from the traditional Royal Oak (mulling 15300 or possibly the chronograph). Much like the 5711 Nautilus (with the subtle curves in its bezel, etc), the Royal Oak is best appreciated in person - you can see all the fine details and the level of finish - the tapisserie dial, beveled edges, etc. Different league vs. the DSSD IMHO. But again, totally subjective - though I think calling it "something a 12 year old with above average drawing skills would design in the mid 80's" a bit harsh.
brian8121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 04:36 AM   #18
ticketmaster123
Banned

I would also like to add, for those that don't like the Diver, I think it is THE least photogenic watch on earth.

I have only seen 1 photo where I think it looks anything other than awful!

BUT...in real life it looks incredible. So definitely try one on before ruling them out.
Old 18 November 2012, 04:40 AM   #19
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Easy choice. DSSD is a terrible looking watch. Just too much.. The Diver however is a beauty. :)
This
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 04:43 AM   #20
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
AP Diver any day for me... Quite funny though that I have a DSSD and not a Diver lol? I guess because I prefer other AP's I have over the diver and this one last point.. The DSSD I don't worry about wearing or doing anything with it.. Yet the AP diver I would tend to baby more because of it's extremely gorgeous finishing :/ Mental I know, but still, for some it will keep them from wearing it how they want to.
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 04:43 AM   #21
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickson Lim View Post
It is funny that all the details we appreciate are not yours.
IMO it would be relatively easy to sketch a watch, but to build something with extraordinary craftsmanship is totally another stroy.

Anyhow, it would be harder to draw a hexagon than a circle!
Absolutely, no question there. If we all liked the same thing life would be boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
Translation: I know this is going to piss people off, but I am going to post it anyway...
Not really, no need for translation. It is what it is...I'm just stating my opinion. I don't like the look at all - so what, I won't buy. If you love the look, great - buy it. Nothing more, nothing less. If MY opinion "pisses" off anyone then I've got to laugh...if owners really loves their watch, who cares what some random guy on TRF says regarding a difference of opinion?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian8121 View Post
To each his own. I actually felt the same way until I saw one and tried it on in person. I had always appreciated the Royal Oak for its history and AP's finishing/movement quality but the aesthetically the watches didn't do anything for me. It wasn't until I tried on a 15400 and a 15202 at the NYC AP boutique that something clicked for me. I ended up picking up the 15202. I probably won't stray too far from the traditional Royal Oak (mulling 15300 or possibly the chronograph). Much like the 5711 Nautilus (with the subtle curves in its bezel, etc), the Royal Oak is best appreciated in person - you can see all the fine details and the level of finish - the tapisserie dial, beveled edges, etc. Different league vs. the DSSD IMHO. But again, totally subjective - though I think calling it "something a 12 year old with above average drawing skills would design in the mid 80's" a bit harsh.
Oh trust me, I've tried on many, and have friends that absolutely swear by them...again, great for them. But never did the experience change my mind. Oh well.

Anyone that takes offense to the fact that I dislike their choice says more about their mentality than mine IMO. And my 12 yr old reference was in jest...I get a kick how some get so spun up about words used to describe their watches. I absolutely LOVE my new POC chrono...yet I know many think it's too big, ugly and cluttered. Okay, doesn't bother me in the least. I mean, come on guys & gals...these are ONLY watches. Who cares what I think about them...I'm just using the forum as it's meant to be used...as a means to express opinions & thoughts.
Old 18 November 2012, 04:44 AM   #22
kxux
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
I was in the same boat few weeks ago. I was in St. Thomas on vacation and had opportunity to try the Diver and few other APs and PPs. I wanted one quite a bit. Then I stumbled upon discussion here that was comparing the two from wearability perspective. After reading through it I decided not to get AP, but instead placed order for DSSD. I had mine for few weeks now and never looked back.

The key points that turned me back to Rolex were:
1. Great for daily wear and can take the beating w/o showing it
2. I can turn the bezel without unscrewing anything
3. Lume is brighter (I sleep with my watches and look at time when it's dark)
4. The bracelet on DSSD with Glidelock is just marvel of engineering and very comfortable. I hear others complain about big taper of the bracelet, but I do not notice that.

If I was looking for nice diver I wear only sometimes I would probably go with AP. But since I wanted watch that fits my lifestyle I decided on DSSD and I'm happy with it.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 04:51 AM   #23
ticketmaster123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxux View Post
I sleep with my watches
Filth!
Old 18 November 2012, 04:51 AM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
The AP Diver is a super comfortable watch.
The DSSD is imho just too big.

But if it is going to be a daily driver I would choose the Dssd if you are OK with the size.
Old 18 November 2012, 04:53 AM   #25
kxux
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketmaster123 View Post
Filth!
Yep. That's how I roll. ;-).
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 04:57 AM   #26
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not really, no need for translation. It is what it is...I'm just stating my opinion. I don't like the look at all - so what, I won't buy. If you love the look, great - buy it. Nothing more, nothing less. If MY opinion "pisses" off anyone then I've got to laugh...if owners really loves their watch, who cares what some random guy on TRF says regarding a difference of opinion?!?!
So, you knew it would antagonize people, and when they get upset about being antagonized you find it funny?
Old 18 November 2012, 04:59 AM   #27
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emagni View Post
although the DSSD is a great engineer feat, I personally prefer a watch with the bracelet size that is proportionate to the watch. The DSSD watch bracelet is too tapered for my taste but I do understand that it probably has to be this way for the watch to be more comfortable on the wrist.
I honestly felt the same way the first time I tried on a DS when they first came out. It bothered me so much I actually passed on buying it. Then, after a few weeks of thinking about it I decided to buy anyway. I went on to wear the DSSD everyday for a little over 2 years. And I'll happily admit not only did I learn to appreciate the tapered bracelet, it actually became one of the things I absolutely fell in love with about the watch.

The logic of the design stood out after spending some time with it. It definitely helped to cut down on the overall mass of the watch and helped to provide a more appropriate sized clasp IMO. The disproportionate look stands out more in pictures and when handling the watch off the wrist; but once it goes on your wrist the difference does not look as severe.

As a comparison, as I look at my new POC 9300 without any taper I think the bracelet is a tad too wide around the clasp...almost to the point I think it cheapens the overall look of the bracelet because it's so bulky.
Old 18 November 2012, 05:04 AM   #28
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, you knew it would antagonize people, and when they get upset about being antagonized you find it funny?
Seriously? Are you kidding me...did you really not read anything I said? Please try and relax...this isn't a bid deal...why so concerned with my opinion? "People getting upset"...please, we're talking about a watch that doesn't appeal to me...big deal! No need for people to be "upset" or "pissed"...give me a break!

Lets please move on...
Old 18 November 2012, 05:06 AM   #29
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seriously? Are you kidding me...did you really not read anything I said?
I just condensed what you wrote in two of your posts. Basically these two lines:

Quote:
I realize this is probably not going to make a lot of friends...
Quote:
If MY opinion "pisses" off anyone then I've got to laugh...
Old 18 November 2012, 05:14 AM   #30
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm just condensing what you wrote in your two posts. Basically these two lines:

&
Why...I'm done...your obsession is getting old. Let me rephrase all my previous posts for your consideration (as you are now taking away from the point of this thread and I'm dumb enough to continue to take the bait):

Guys...the AP is AWESOME. I see no flaws, love the design and absolutely have no idea why anyone would even consider not buying it. Please don't even consider the DSSD for another minute...there's just no need when you have the AP!

To be honest, I think there's probably not a need for any other watch in the whole world...this is the end all, be all. Anyone that disagrees w/ my opinion is obviously either, 1) blind, 2) brain-dead or 3) both 1 & 2.

Again, in case you couldn't figure it out, the AP is the only choice...I love it and can't see why others would think (or even worse, vocalize) differently.