The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2019, 11:29 AM   #1
lilmoogz
"TRF" Member

Chances to land Daytona Panda

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my story and if I would have a shot at a daytona panda which is my grail:

I purchased my first Rolex which was a DJ41 blue stick/fluted/jubilee by cold calling ADs and one actually had it in stock and sold it to me over the phone by taking a deposit. This AD is about 2.5 hours from where I live and is a small family owned jeweler. When I picked up the watch I told them I would continue to do business with them in the future.

About a week later I emailed them expressing interest in the Daytona and explicitly stated I don’t mind waiting for however long it takes. The AD replied stating that it’s very hard to acquire but he hopes to sell me one in the future. Since then I haven’t made contact with him (3 weeks ago).

My intention is to purchase a Submariner in the next 1-2 years from them, I am in no rush and would rather wait to see what happens at baselworld 2020. Since I only have a single purchase with them I am hoping my next purchase would make me more of a established client.

What is everyone’s advice? Would a Submariner purchase help me get closer to a Daytona? Also how can I keep reminding the AD of my interest as it’s difficult for me to physically visit periodically.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilmoogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:34 AM   #2
nick800
"TRF" Member

nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:37 AM   #3
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

a sub won't do much for you. if you want a daytona you'll need to buy a full pm piece to really have any realistic chance
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:39 AM   #4
kmx518
"TRF" Member

Lol.

Who knows if they'll be in business 2-5 years from now? Or still be a Rolex AD? I wouldn't buy the sub with the mindset they will sell the Daytona to you at a later time.

kmx518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:42 AM   #5
lilmoogz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx518 View Post
Lol.

Who knows if they'll be in business 2-5 years from now? Or still be a Rolex AD? I wouldn't buy the sub with the mindset they will sell the Daytona to you at a later time.

I actually want a sub for my collection though

lilmoogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:45 AM   #6
NJRolexFan
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I sense some “go grey and have it on your wrist before the end of the week” comments coming! ;-)
NJRolexFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:45 AM   #7
77T

I think you’ll want to keep calling around. Or make that Sub a YG one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:46 AM   #8
NJRolexFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmoogz View Post

A sub is great to have for any collection. However, you’ll be waiting on that one as well.
NJRolexFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:46 AM   #9
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:

If you do want it then go ahead and buy it from them so you have more purchasing history. I wouldn’t count on the daytona though for a while and after a few more purchases.

Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:49 AM   #10
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I think the 0.0 hit the nail on the head.
Old 22 August 2019, 11:55 AM   #11
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Not impossible bit not overly likely though. I am a believer though that being a decent human being while shopping at your dealer helps. Spending isn’t everything if you act like an entitled prick. I think buying a sub if you want it can only help, and making an effort to drop in every once in a while in person.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:03 PM   #12
blada4life
"TRF" Member

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:14 PM   #13
blada4life
"TRF" Member

But for real, I can tell you I’ve been on the hunt for one from an AD myself. It’s been very difficult to even have someone “put you on the list” if you can even believe that statement. It’s usually a no way. I’d say you probably have to spend $50-$100k within a year to have a chance to get one. Forget about it being a sub. They consider that a gift to you as well. If you truly want to buy from an AD you will need to pick up a gold day date and try to bundle it with the Daytona, but depending on what city you are in if they have a big market it may have to be a daydate plus some other watch too.

Good luck let us know but I can tell you I’ve visited over 15+ ADs on my travels in past 6 months. Some I’ve been to as a referral and it usually isn’t even a discussion for a Daytona. Gmt maybe. Black or white sky D maybe. But not Daytona.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:19 PM   #14
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Very slim.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:23 PM   #15
calh22a
Banned

If you made a very positive impression on your SA and with a bit of luck, you may have a slim chance but very unlikely with just a DJ purchase. A DJ plus sub isn’t going to push you much higher. Like others have mentioned, you should be looking at Pm to really have a shot. Does the AD sell other things that interest you? Buying non Rolex items can also boost your chances.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 12:32 PM   #16
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
If you get the Daytona, it will be through building a genuine rapport with the AD and not through the level of purchases you have outlined.

Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 02:46 PM   #17
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
This sounds like a very round about way of acquiring the watch you truly want. You are already waiting anyway. Buying watches along the way only serves to slow down your progress towards your Daytona and doesn't make sense. Am I just too pragmatic or is there some sort of thought process that I am missing here?
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:13 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my story and if I would have a shot at a daytona panda which is my grail:

I purchased my first Rolex which was a DJ41 blue stick/fluted/jubilee by cold calling ADs and one actually had it in stock and sold it to me over the phone by taking a deposit. This AD is about 2.5 hours from where I live and is a small family owned jeweler. When I picked up the watch I told them I would continue to do business with them in the future.

About a week later I emailed them expressing interest in the Daytona and explicitly stated I don’t mind waiting for however long it takes. The AD replied stating that it’s very hard to acquire but he hopes to sell me one in the future. Since then I haven’t made contact with him (3 weeks ago).

My intention is to purchase a Submariner in the next 1-2 years from them, I am in no rush and would rather wait to see what happens at baselworld 2020. Since I only have a single purchase with them I am hoping my next purchase would make me more of a established client.

What is everyone’s advice? Would a Submariner purchase help me get closer to a Daytona? Also how can I keep reminding the AD of my interest as it’s difficult for me to physically visit periodically.

Thanks!

Your chances of a white Daytona (Panda is different entirely) are slim to zero.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:48 PM   #19
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Chances to land Daytona Panda

No - they can sell subs all day long. If you want the possibility of moving closer to a daytona... Buy something that has been sitting in the case for months. Better yet 1 a few

But remember ... There are still no guarantees. Chances are still pretty unlikely
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:51 PM   #20
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Honestly, you buying the sub from the AD is more like him doing you a favor than the other way around. I don't think it'd move the needle at all in terms of you getting closer to a white dial daytona. Now taking a yellow gold yacht master II off their hands... that might put you in business!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:54 PM   #21
delboylee
"TRF" Member

Very low chance.... 0.000001%

And it’s not a panda dial
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 03:54 PM   #22
TreiseKL
"TRF" Member

You can buy a ton of jewelry, give them footrubs, undesired models, feed them donuts... you may have a chance because they'll think it is IN THEIR BEST BUSINESS INTEREST to give you a Panda.

If they don't have such a person in their list, it gets sold via secure channels to Grey Dealers.
Old 22 August 2019, 04:07 PM   #23
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Unfortunately in today's market purchasing a Sub from this AD is more of them doing you a favor. It's not going to get you any meaningful plus marks on your side of the board. The same applies to the DJ you already purchased from them -- that's probably one of the hottest (if not the hottest) DJ configurations in today's market.

Not trying to sound negative here, I just don't want you to get your hopes up thinking this is a definitive path to a Daytona. You say you genuinely want a Sub for your collection -- if that's the case, by all means go ahead and buy it through the same AD when he makes the offer!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:18 PM   #24
ChipWong
"TRF" Member

-1%
ChipWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:17 PM   #25
Tenebris Equum
Banned

Watch: Speedy and Pepsi
It's sad to see another fellow watch enthusiast who genuinely wants a watch only to be hit by Rolex's strategy. Things will change my friend, but don't expect any form of favours from your AD in this current over hyped Rolex market. Patience is virtue.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Tenebris Equum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:22 PM   #26
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Your AD broke a Rolex rule. Can't take payment over the phone. Need to show in person, so if he had been on the phone with one of their mystery shoppers, they would have been warned.

Why would he pick you over someone who's going to go there and splash out on PM pieces? Ask yourself that :-)

No one cares about how long of a coffee conversation you had with the store owner. It's about what you can show with your wallet. Money talks, BS bops.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:24 PM   #27
Andad

Watch: A few.
Ask the AD and let us know?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:37 PM   #28
FloridaSam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16013
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 08:09 PM   #29
ijpx
"TRF" Member

It’s not a panda.
ijpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 08:17 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Buying a PM Rolex gets you on a list, buying two gets you high up the list, nothing else will even get you on the list if you are not well known.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote